(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Fuzzle/Squirmel/Wonder Worm
Anyone here sell thw Wonder Worm as a pitch item? What have you found to be the best thread for working the little guy. The thread that comes with it is pretty good. It's plenty strong but not quite invisible in all circumstances. What is the strongest IT available? Would the kevlar tread be strong enough to use in a worm pitch and yet invisible in all sorts of lighting conditions. Keep in mind when pitching the worm, the thread may be dragged right across the spectators hands and arm.

Vandy
IMO kevlar is THE thread to use!
There would be a lot of breakage with kelvar, especially if you are new.

For the worm, you want to use thin fishing line ... they don't see the line because of the motion of the worm, much like a dancing cane. Your worrying about nothing, just do it - you'll be amazed.

You mentioned "worm pitch", does that imply you will be selling them? If so, attach the line to the inside edge of your table - this is easier to work in a pitch environement, as it frees you from the body load. You can just walk up to the counter, pick up the hanging worm, and do you pitch.

JoeJoe
Never had probs with kevlar and hopefuly I never will, as for the fishing line I would recommend to paint stripes of blue n black on it (thanks peki!) great camouflage and you wont be taking any risks!
I used to sell these on the streets of London when I was a student. I used fishing line. It doesn't break and it doesn't kill the illusion. These things sell better than Svengali decks, are less heavy, and have better margins.
[quote]
Never had probs with kevlar and hopefuly I never will, as for the fishing line I would recommend to paint stripes of blue n black on it (thanks peki!) great camouflage and you wont be taking any risks!
[/quote]

Then you havn't worked the worm with kevlar, a single strand of kevlar couldn't hold up to the handling.

As for camouglage on the fishing line for the worm, I don't recommend that either ... it creates friction and prevents it from sliding smoothly through your fingers - sort of like creating speed bumps. Plus, it can rub off on your hands.

Just use thin fishing line ... nobody is looking for a thread, they are looking at the bright colored worm wiggling around your fingers.

JoeJoe
Also look into Don Drivers material....good stuff.
Steve V
Don who?
Is there an online video available where you can see this creature in action?
Guys, the quality of these things vary greatly. Though I haven't had experience with many different manufacturers, I do know that Don Driver pointed me in the right direction. His new DVD has not only his Svengali pitch, his fuzzle pitch, and footage of another legend in the field, S. David Walker. Don is a great source for volume purchases of Svengali decks, fuzzle worms, and other items as well.
I heard David Walker wasn't that good at the Svengali Pitch.
Hey Vandy,
I just now saw this thread(no pun intended)...." Don who?"..."David Walker not that good at pitching Svengali's"....funny Vandy,very funny.
Just to set everyone stright here,Vandy hung out with David and myself at the Wisconsin State Fair for 11 days this past Aug.We all had a great time together.
Later,Don
HA!!! I was wondering when or if you would find it!! Congrats, you win a prize!!
Instead of painting the black/blue on the fishing line, which as JoeJoe stated, would create friction, consider using a Sharpie to put black/blue spots on the line. You get the same effect without any change to the physical properties of the line.
You have to excuse the language barrier...use a black marker and blue marker...
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Jan 23, 2006 10:26AM)
Yeah, Sharpie is the brand of markers here that work the best.

Oh yeah I love my sharpies!
I used to pitch these for an import company years ago and it was a hoot. Where can you buy the wonder worm these days?
You can find the Wonder Worm at EZ Magic Robbin, wholesale.
Message: Posted by: Cholly, by golly! (Feb 19, 2006 04:41PM)
Be careful when buying Magic Fuzzles/Sqirmels/Wonder Worms!
There are several different manufacturers and distributors who sell these things. These products range from good to okay to totally worthless. Always order a few (some companies will send you an actual sample for a few bucks) to test them out BEFORE buying in large quanities.
The pitch may not be the best on the Hillford/Flora video, but they have reasonable instructions on making your own. You can find all the materials you need for a very reasonable cost at WalMart. The thread I found that works well is in the sewing/crafts department (where you will find the rest of the stuff as well), and is called, I believe, Invisible thread (believe it or not).

Blessings,

Bob Phillips
I can't imagine anyone really making those worms that Flora taught on that video. By the time you get finished fooling around with the materials and your time you are probably better off buying them. The good ones are cheap and a much better product than some homemade thing.
You can find these worms at Walmart (at least you can by my house.) They sell them in the arts and crafts section with thread already attached. Three worms with thread for $0.99. I'm guessing whoever packages them doesn't know they are used for magic.

Caleb
If you wanna be a pitchman (dang Walmart! I supported you against the hippies but not when you go after us!) get the material Don Driver put out then in a couple weeks get the mouse book that also covers squirmles that Mark Lewis is putting out. Not sure of his website.
Steve V
Walmart's worm are very low quality. I don't like to sell junk. Great price, but crappy. I supply a few folks with em. Good item , I sell bunches.
The WalMart worms have the bubble plastic eyes...no good for the worm thru CD trick. They catch going through.
What's the name on the package at WALMART? I'd like to be able to buy small quantities on an infrequent basis. Depends on quality, too. My worm (and Svengali) pitches will not be all that often and will be for varying size groups, usually charity type events like our annual show. So I'll get only one shot at the crowd and don;t want to end up with 2 gross of worms. The dog or the kids will get into'em.

Just got Don Driver's DVDS last night and watched'em both twice. They're fun to watch as well as being 'educational'. BTW- Don is awesome on service, too. I did the PayPal click-to-order thing - and having been burned by eBay and PayPal a few times I got twitchy since I got no confirmation that the order was recieved or the funds transferred. So I emailed Don after a couple days and he emailed me right back, even though he was at Abbots!! Two days later the package arrived!! Bottom line is, not only is the material great, it's fun to watch, Don shipped without even moving payment out of PayPal (careful, Don!) and I expect if I had any problems hed make it good. He and Higley must be psychic twins!!
I'd like to know the packaged name of the worms (and the department) from WalMart as well. Although I don't pitch them, I'd like to play around with them. After I get used to them, I might think about a pitch.

Mark.
Hey, mrunge. PM me for as many fuzzles as you want, five bucks each. I'll pop for the shipping. And for each one you buy you'll get this AMAZING card trick where you can win all the bets and all you have to know how to do is turn over your hand.
The Wallmart ones don't cut it in the world of the squirmel.
Steve V
Thanks nostromo, for the offer. I found a couple of fuzzles and already have that AMAZING card trick your talking about. It does work wonders!

All I can say is you're doing great with your pitch! ;)

Mark.
[quote]
On 2006-07-31 00:17, mota wrote:
The WalMart worms have the bubble plastic eyes...no good for the worm thru CD trick. They catch going through.
[/quote]

Then take them off.
[quote]
On 2006-09-23 00:59, Steve V wrote:
The Wallmart ones don't cut it in the world of the squirmel.
Steve V
[/quote]

Why not?

Intresting to see people posting on this thread. It was started as a joke over a year ago. LOL.
I was at Wal Mart last night and didn't see the worms they must have been out stock or something because the woman didn't even know what I was talking about
Gman, I know what you mean. It's hard to find good help anymore. It's too easy for them to say..."What?...we don't have that." instead of even bothering to check.

I had the same thing happen when I was looking for those cardboard magazine file boxes like one uses to store magazine collections, such as my magic related magazines. Three women in the customer service department looked at me with this stupid expression on their faces and said, "What?...we don't have that." and then I found it myself in their store.

What you're looking for is called "Wiggly Worms" by Creative Hands. They come 3 to a pack and sell for about $1 (US). They are in the arts and crafts department where you find beads and string for necklaces, those little button, google eyes and small stick on type things for posters and craft projects. If you can talk a manager into checking for you, the UPC number is 0 28444 68908 7 and the item number is 6378.

Just find the section of the store that has this stuff in it and look hard. They will be hanging on a hook mixed in with the rest of these kinds of things.

http://www.fibrecraft.com/kids/classics.html

Hope this helps. Mark.
Vandy, they are not as nice as the pitch ones guys like Don use.
Steve V
Thanks mrunge, will check back again.

George
[quote]
On 2006-09-24 21:14, Steve V wrote:
Vandy, they are not as nice as the pitch ones guys like Don use.
Steve V
[/quote]

The worm is fine, it's as good as any other worm. The problem with the Walmart worms is that they are not packaged for individual sale and they have no instructions. It would more hassle to repackage them and get instructions made. But the ones at Wal Mart are good enough to use for the demo. If you use the ones from Walmart for the demo, you don't have to break into your blister packed stock everytime you need a new worm.
The ones I saw were shorter than the others....dang worms
[quote]
On 2005-10-17 17:21, Vandy Grift wrote:
I heard David Walker wasn't that good at the Svengali Pitch.
[/quote]

Boy, that comment will throw the first of may's off track huh? But, in his first few days...before he perfected the pitch...I guess Vandy was right....lol.

Thanks to guys like David and Don we have a pitch that works.
I'll second that, Mr. Mysterrio! David and Don are the trailblazers for the rest of us who pitch decks.

All the best.