(Close Window)
Topic: Music PC Editor
I'm changing the music selection for my manip. act.

The selections I have are slightly too long or too short. Those that are slightly short have enough loops to stretch the number the necessary minute or so.

Do any of you have suggestions for a PC music editor to accomplish this? The selections I'm using are royalty free and on CD.

Gracias!
Randy,
I use an inexpensive program called Audacity. I use it for editing wav files. It has a graphical editor and can support multiple tracks. The edited files can be saved as wav or mp3 or og vobis (whatever that is).

There are probably better ones available but this works for me.

Oliver
I second the motion for Audacity! I use it and it works great for my purposes. If you're looking for something simple and easy to use (and FREE), give it a shot!
Audacity: It's free and open-source, give it a try.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Accoustica MP3 Music Editor is the easiest for me.
There's always an oddball and I guess I'm it. I use Sound Forge Acid Loops. It came on my Sony Vaio Multimedia PC I bought a couple of years ago. It has multitrack and track by track editing. You can easily control the volume and pan of each track. It supports 24 bit sound files for the true professional. The results are fantastic and I have total control over my sound tracks used in my shows. I find the program user friendly and easy to edit.
The Sound Forge software has always been good, but if you have to buy it separately it's overkill for what most guys here need. It was bought by Sony:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/default.asp

The online price on the site is $70.00 or more, depending on which version you want, so if you can get it included with something else, that's the way to go.
You could always go with Quicktime Pro for Windows - 30.00.
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Sep 16, 2005 07:58PM)
Sonic foundry soundfordge,
now owned by sony.
Audacity and Amadeus both work for cut and paste. Peak 4.1 by Bias works for capture -- and some editing and Peak 5.1 does it all.

Do not forget, if you are on Mac - Garageband......
What kind of music file do you have to use with Audacity? I tried to import a song and all it was was static.

Thanks

P.S. If someone could send me a PM telling me how to use it that would be awesome cause I really don't understand it.
Thanks again.
[quote]
On 2005-09-17 20:23, coolleprechaun wrote:
What kind of music file do you have to use with Audacity? I tried to import a song and all it was was static.
Thanks
P.S. If someone could send me a PM telling me how to use it that would be awesome cause I really don't understand it.
Thanks again.
[/quote]

Well I managed to open WAV or MP3 files, cut and paste, and then write to a CD once the music is done.

To open the selected music, I went to FILE then selected the saved song which was on my desktop by double clicking on it. The song loads to screen. The green button plays the song. To record decide which portion of the song you want to duplicate. If you go down to the metered song window, by clicking once along the song and then a second time further down the song, hit the record button, it will record that area you've selected. The left side of screen has the "copy" and "paste" buttons so you can drop the copied portion anywhere along the song.

So far this is all I know how to do as its all I wanted to accomplish. Oh and by using the same above steps, you can cut portions out of a musical piece by selecting the "cut" feature instead of "record".

If you want to explore all the features, I'd go to the audacity website and or read the "help" file to maximize use of this program.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
Sound Forge makes it so easy to do your editing. I also highly recommend it.
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Sep 21, 2005 09:42PM)
You are doing it the really difficult way.
you are better off following the wave
patterns in a good audio mastering suite.
that way you can get down to exactly
where you want to cut, not by sound
but by seconds.
Oops! Forgot to mention it has metered wave
patterns with seconds marked. I used that as a starting and ending point for recording.
I suggest you check out SmartSound (www.smartsound.com.) This software allows you to create custom music files to any length and style desired.

Dan.
We have always used Cool Edit Pro, which is now Adobe Audition. The multitrack is the best we have seen. The filters are great and the noise reduction and hiss control will fix just about anything someone may throw at you on cassette.

Kevin
[quote]
On 2005-09-22 10:54, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
I suggest you check out SmartSound (www.smartsound.com.) This software allows you to create custom music files to any length and style desired.
Dan.
[/quote]

Thanks for that recommendation Dan. I'll be trying this over the weekend for usre. I like the idea of creating custom music files.
Randy,

They have a great product. You'll be able to select any music and tailor it to any duration you want. This software is widely used by videographers.

Good luck!
I am going to have to second Kevins recommendation on this one.

Adobe Audition is AMAZIN

To say the least...
Coolleprechaun

Curious....What type of file are you attempting to edit that gives you static?