(Close Window)
Topic: Reasons to be tearful part 3...
Iíve been thinking a lot in the last couple of days about the master classes I run. I was asked by a street performer friend of mine why I do them.

Despite the years on the road, all the problems and hassles, I still love what I do, itís never been just a job for me, itís what I like doing the most. A couple of years ago I was asked to do a lecture tour of the UK, the master classes that Simon arranged on that tour were the best teaching events that I had experienced. They gave me the chance to tell others what I do. Not just for a two hour lecture, but for two whole days, a real insight into my work, how to do it, and how to think about it.

Since then Iíve spent a lot of time perfecting the master class. I want you to leave the class like youíve just seen my show. I want you to feel the value for money and I want you to go out there and experience what I love to do for yourselves.

Each class gets better, so I expect great things for the West coast classes. Everything I give to you in the master classes will work, whether on the streets or other venues. Weíve all seen ads for events that promise great things but donít deliver, my master class will deliver, guaranteed!

One thing Iím looking forward to is the after class time. This is where I can relax and spend time with class members just talking and telling you how it really is out there. You are going to get the business, things Iíve never shared before. I respect you for paying your dollars; the after class is a time to give you the extras.

So to my friend Iíd say that I do the master classes because I want to. I know Iím with guys who want to learn, are open to trying new things and will eventually put them into practice. I do the master classes because I know you respect me and as a result I respect you enough to trust you to take good care of my lifework.

See you there!

Gazzo

p.s. I am looking for a fourth venue for another master class. I would like to conduct a class in San Fransisco because it is very street performer friendly there. I need help setting one up in SF. The lecture there was attended by over 100 people. So I am sure that there would be 10 or 15 people interested in a master class. If you would like to help set it up, please PM Magicpitch. I need any info sent ASAP, as we are booking flights. Your efforts will not go unrewarded.
Whos gazzo :)
whats up bud?
koz
I think I found a place GAzzo. I will have my people talk to your people
tomorrow. Downtown SF.

Got the idea from my cousin who's lived in downtown SF his whole life.
C'Mon Gazzo come to the Mid-west!!!!! I'd do anything to get to one of your master classes, but San Fran's too far away and there's a ton of people out here who would love to see it happen. I could even arrange Hotel, Food and Possibly Transport to and from. What say? Maybe even charge a little more?
I just got round trip air fare to Las vegas for the Master Class from Akron Ohio for $220 (tax included) Hotel will run me under $120 for the three nights, and a rental car is $14 a day, and of course the Master Class at $250.

Throw in getting away from home for a while...... Priceless!

If you want it bad enough, don't wait for it to happen. Make it happen!

BroDavid
WHAT!!!!!??? From Akron? Tell me which Airline and I'll book it! I'm in Cincy.
[quote]
On 2005-09-28 15:14, BAH1313 wrote:
C'Mon Gazzo come to the Mid-west!!!!! I'd do anything to get to one of your master classes, but San Fran's too far away and there's a ton of people out here who would love to see it happen. I could even arrange Hotel, Food and Possibly Transport to and from. What say? Maybe even charge a little more?
[/quote] yes talk to Steve at Magic pitch
Gazzo,

I want to say how much I appreciate the opportunity to learn from you in the Master Class setting. You are truly giving the magic community (those with enough desire and means to get there) a wonderful and lasting gift. (I just wish I was younger so it would last longer ;) ) Everyone who has attended, whom I have spoken to, has been overwhelmed by the knowledge imparted and your gracious sharing of yourself! Thanks in advance for what I know will be a wonderful rewarding experience.

BAH1313;

Pmed you the details. Airtran nonstop roundtrip from Akron is cheap to Las Vegas ($99 going, and $120 returning) Not sure what they were thinking about there, you would think it be cheaper to go to Akron..... Who wants to go Akron? Unless of course you live there. And I do.

Everything else is in the pm.

BroDavid
Don't forget Minneapolis ;) Its amazing seeing magic legends of our day so willing to teach classes, even if it is only in one part of the country! May your sucess continue and you name live long Gazzo. :)
Guys, I have to say, I am glad to see you all stepping up to make it happen. When we have a jewel like Gazzo who is willing to pass on his life's work, we should do what we can to make it do-able for him. For goodness sake, a venue and a place to stay isn't all that much to ask, and it is so much easier for the local folk to get them arranged. I know that some of you raise your eyebrows at the price, but I don't need to break it down by the hour to show you what a bargain you are getting. In order to be part of the future of Gazzo's work, we should be willing to make some sacrifice. Today, it is measured in dollars and cents. Yesterday, it might have been traveling on foot to other towns just to sit down with a masterful teacher like Gazzo. I know this will sound corny to some, but magic has a rich past, full of people willing to sacrifice for her. We should expect nothing less. Thanks for the opportunity Gazzo, we're looking forward to seeing you in Seattle.

Mark
Thanks BroDavid! Man o man, I didn't realize you were in Akron. We should get together one of these days and jam. Hopefully, I can get the details worked out for the Master Class. If not, I would still like to meet ya, I'm up north periodically.
The details being me able to attend Las Vegas.
What does that mean
I think it means that he is trying to work out the details to going to the Master Class.

But unfortunatley I just got word that he will not be able to make it as he has a show scheduled and the show must go on.

BroDavid
NOTE...beg...borrow...steal(not really..)money to get to his classes...Did the London one,last year,the routine and bits learned have seen me round the world and have earned me thousands(seriously). Great thinking, and routining...dont know about the piea though...
Oh, and watch out though if you go drinking with him and ther is a beautiful woman behind the bar, and youre single...and your flirting...and you have to go off to the toilet...
Nice One...
James James
aka
Vernon
Hi Gazzo I really injoyed your lecture in Springfield Pa. I would like to attend one of your Masters classes, but I have a few questions? First I am not sure I qualify for masters classes. Lets see I perform Carl Andrews Cups and balls and Have basics of card manipulations down pretty well, not a pass. I busk in a limted sort of way, every Saturday for four hours at my store. I can only draw a small audience at a time. Would I qualify for your class?
Secondly Have I missed any east coast classes? If not where can I go?

Thanks Magic Tad
My web site: http://www.kids-magic-shows.com/
If you are not already booked onto one of the masterclasses I'd suggest that you do so as a priority. Why? Simple, you get intensive, practical instruction from a guy who has done what he says he has. No ********, no magicians lies, when Gazzo tells you what works and what doesn't it's from experience and time put in on the streets.

If you think the price is too high, e mail some of the guys who have been on the classes either in the UK or the US. ASk them what they think and to a person my guess is that they will tell you it is cheap for what you get.

Just go, sell all the stuff you don't use and go pay for something you'll work with everyday.

MagicTad, the only question you have to ask yourself is whether you want your performance to improve. Don't worry about being qualified, just go, learn and benefit.

Simon
Thanks Simon I certainly would like to do better. I Pm'ed Gazzo Maybe I am not to late for a East coast Class.
Tad, you're too late for East Coast classes, as they were in June! Only classes on the schedule right now are :

October 8,9 -Seattle,WA
October 15,16 - Temecula, CA (Southern CA)
Octover 29,30 - Las Vegas, NV
November 5,6 - San Francisco, CA

That's all for this year, and the turnout at these will help determine whether or not it's worth doing any more in the future. We have people coming from all parts of the country to attend various classes. Odd how people from the local areas of the classes don't seem to show up, but people will fly 5,000 miles in some cases, coming from Europe, and all over the USA to attend the classes, yet the locals won't bother on some classes.

It's cheap to fly into Vegas these days. I'd highly recommend anyone interested consider Vegas, as it's about the cheapest trip on the class schedule.
I wish I had known About Gazzo before, I would have done the class for sure. I just found out what a pearl of wisdom he is about a month ago. I will try to find away to get there but Please consider doing more classes here in the East I will talk to My Magic Clubs and see if there is any interest. Thanks Magic Tad
Good luck Tad! The UK and Europe (notice how I didn't call them the same thing :) ) are probably next on the list, so it'll be a while before anything else happens in the USA, again, if it happens.

It's very difficult to get people to spend $250 on a weekend class where they will learn more about magic and performing in 20 hours than they could imagine. However, they seem to have no problem buying $250 worth of gaffs that will sit in a drawer until they sell them or they die! It's an odd thing, and I know Denny has recently posted a similar note about lectures.

Having said that, we're doing fine, booking the classes, and look forward to seeing all those who are heading to the classes. Get lots of sleep now. You'll need it!
Hey magicpitch! I'm wanting to come to the San Francisco Master Class, could you PM me the details? I need to know where to send my money and make travel arrangements.
I did the Master class in Bradford UK.
If I could I would go on the Master Class again it is that good.
The best money I have ever spent in Magic, no joke.
Mario
I'm working on attending. The dates might conflict with something else.
I'm hoping not.
I don't know where best to post this, so I'll probably end up double posting here, and in the busker section. I am currently halfway through my weekend with Gazzo and company, and I have to tell you, I am already calling it a bargain. If we stopped today, it would be an absolute steal. Frank, I suspected this to be true before, but I can tell you for a surety now - whatever that date is, hand it off to someone else. This is that important. I don't mean, "You just have to learn how to do Gazzo's cups and balls." I mean, between the cups (and the thinking behind them), the egg bag - oh man, you have GOT to check out his stuff on the egg bag. I had a eureka moment today with the egg bag. The tossed out deck, the Immigration card trick, there is just too much to relate. I mean it though, it is worth both your time and money, and I will do my best when it is all over to try and go into detail. For now though, trust me when I tell you, Gazzo is a teacher extraordinaire. If you need it, he'll teach it. We worked on some top palming, top changing, peeks, and we're just getting started. If you can, go. If you can't, try harder.
Okay, I have to go into more detail now. There are some real points of value in this class that make it worth spending the money for, and rescheduling or handing off other gigs. I know that between the price of the class and handing off a gig, one could conceivably spend five hundred or so, but I would maintain that you will still be ahead of the game. I almost wish I had the money to guarantee that comment, but America has become 'interesting' where guarantees are concerned. If I remember right, Gazzo does guarantee his class though. (Check that info for accuracy if you don't mind) As I mentioned, his egg bag routine will bring a new effect into your repertoire. That trick will just knock a lay audience on their butts. It knocked a room full of magicians on their butts, and we didn't have any fifteen year olds, if you get my drift. The tossed out deck is wonderful, and goodness, you could get serious mileage out of that one. Restaurant guys, your take home will raise considerably if you'll ask the right questions. The Gentlemen's Game is something that you need to learn. I'll leave it at that. Let me tell you about the atmosphere; Gazzo's opening remarks serve to park the egos out in the parking lot, and from then on it is a supportive, respectful, cohesive group. We had a young lady fly down from Canada, and was so glad she did. (Gazzo would tell you that he got the best of the deal, though) I'll close for now. Truly, go if there is any way to go, and most importantly, be good to your wives or significant other. They need to know that you'll be 'out for the weekend' - the WHOLE weekend. Really, clear the decks, get the time allotted, and make it up to them either before or after. You'll enjoy the class so much more if you do.
I've got to do this! Any plan yet for an east coaster in the spring or early summer? Yea I know it's a long way off but it will give me something else to look forward too through the winter.
Jonnyb,
It's been hinted that this is the last of the Master Classes for a long time, maybe the last one ever. If you can swing it, consider a weekend vacation to Las Vegas.
I would be pretty sure that Las Vegas will be the last.

When Gazzo gets done trying to teach me anything, I am sure it will stop him from ever wanting to try to teach anyone anything again.....

BroDavid
Bummer Dave..too short notice for me. Guess it will just be Gazzo on DVD for me. Then again I saw the Stones do their last tour 3 times....so far.
From what I hear you're not a veteran street performer until you've seen Gazzo retire at least three times. ;)
From what I hear, I'm not even a roookie street performer! C'mon Gazzo..doesn't that make ya want a clean mold! No unlearning..I'm the shizbutt of a clean slate!
John
Gazzo,
Could you please rethink coming to the midwest. You can crash at my house. Contact Phil Klein at US MAGIC. Youv'e done the east and west, now do the part in between. Thank you,
Laird
OK, I am mostly packed, and flying out to Las Vegas tomorrow on a 7:00 AM flight for the Gazzo Master Class. I will rest up for a day, then have at it.

Midwest Laird? I think of Kansas as right in the middle of the country not the midwest.....;) Good luck in getting Gazzo to come out there.

BroDavid
[quote]
On 2005-10-27 15:22, Laird wrote:
Gazzo,
Could you please rethink coming to the midwest. You can crash at my house. Contact Phil Klein at US MAGIC. Youv'e done the east and west, now do the part in between. Thank you,
Laird
[/quote]
No Laird Las Vegas will be my last workshop (masterclass).
Also, as of 12 o'clock tonight, I will be retired. You need to get all of my products that you can, as they will soon be only found elsewhere. Watch this space for further details.

I am turning Magic Pitch over to Steve Shepard. The rest can kiss my ***. Especially Jim Wilder, Jersey Jim, but not Danny Hustle... he may fly across country to do it.
Your friend,
Gazzo

p.s. I will be doing 4 conventions... Detroit, Michigan; Blackpool as a demonstrator; SEAM, and FISM as a feature act.
Gazzo retired? Again???
Man,I had hopes that SF was going to be the last. I could have made that one. Can't believe there wasn't enough interest to make that one worth while. Oh well...have to catch the next comeback tour. You're going to go to Detroit and I can't get you to come to Baltimore??..get your priorities straight man! Best of luck in whatever you do.
Gazzo,
I'll fly anywhere to kiss your ***. I've taken all my learning from you and the street right into corporate gigs. That experience is my edge and secret weapon. Thanks, Gaz!

Jim
Gazzo
I have learned a lot from you in regards to magic and the pouch you made me is one of my most cherished magic props.

You are very generous in what you taught us, no one can say you have not giving enough and should not question your choice to say enough is enough.

Any one that has not made the effort to make it to your class should not expect you make the effort to get to them.

I would have walked on a broken glass to make it to Bradford knowing what you were going to teach and has revolutionized the way I do magic. Not that I am a carbon copy of you in any sense, but my attitude towards magic has completely changed.

Mario
I am back home from the Las Vegas master Class now .

The $250 I spent on the Gazzo Master Class, even when you throw in $250 for round-trip airfare, $175 for a room, and $170 for a car during the class, is still to be counted as one of the best investments I could have made with that money, whether it was on magic or not!

It would impossible to even make a list of everything I learned as there was so much that Gazzo shared. And although I have the big things in notes and well etched in my mind, I will be recalling many other bits and pieces for a long, long time.

And Mario hit right on the head. It has definitely changed my whole attitude towards magic.

I know that Gazzo won't be resting quietly, but he simply won't be traipsing around like Gypsy carrying thousands of dollars of cups, balls and pouches and doing these Master Classes anymore. Our class had 8 student! Only 8 students???? For a Great learning experience like this??? Come on.... We should have had 15, with a waiting list of another 15!!! Gazzo offered his best. And not many wanted it. So be it. Leave him alone now.

BroDavid