(Close Window)
Topic: Here's 2 $100s
Has anyone every just handed you 2 $100 bills becuase your trick
was so awesome? If so, how?
Nope, never had such luck. Whenever I pass the hat around, people disappears!! that's the most amazing gimmick I ever owned. My HAT!! :lol:

cheerios!
Nope. I don't perform for a living, but with the few times I have performed, I have gotten some $10 and $20 tips, and free beers. The more beer I drink, the better I perform. LOL

What about your story Frank? I am guessing this has happened to you?

TomK
Never got 2 100's but when I was working at Wizardz I noticed a mother and a teenage girl start to get in this really bad argument while waiting for the stage show. (This was in the lounge area aka the holding cage) The father asked me to come over and do some magic. Well as you can imagine I was a little reluctant. I mean, here I am doing tricks, and the father is loving it and the mother and daughter are looking off in opposite directions and not even making eye contact with one another. So I decided to take a chance and do a version of Anniversary Waltz with mother and daughter. Reluctantly, they played along. At the end of the set they were all three laughing and smiling. As they started seating the main show the father said thank you and shook my hand. In my hand he had placed a 100. That was one of the biggest single tips I had ever received at Wizardz. I figured it wasn't bad for a 12 minute set!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
I get them doing that at the card table. You just give youself a winning hand and they all throw money at you. It is nice to know they appreciate my work. :)
[quote]
On 2005-09-29 23:04, tommy wrote:
I get them doing that at the card table. You just give youself a winning hand and they all throw money at you. It is nice to know they appreciate my work. :)
[/quote]

Ahh Tommy, but the original query explicitly said, "...because your trick was so awesome?" But I hear ya...

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
The biggest ive ever recieved was $100 as well.

was it for an amazing trick? no. it was for a great performance (which lasted an hour) of cocktail work.

does that fit the critera? no.
You probably won't believe me but I performed Macdonald's Aces and made $300. Yes just that one trick. The guy was a regular (wealthy business man) at the restaurant (upscale) that I was working. It was in December just before Christmas and he asked me to show him something "Fantastic". I did the routine (Paul Swinford and Larry Pringle taught me the routine I use) and the guy took out his wallet and handed me the rolled up bills wishing me a Happy Christmas! I asked him if he needed change! So there you go, get out there and learn that routine!
Message: Posted by: T. Joseph O'Malley (Sep 30, 2005 01:03PM)
[quote]
On 2005-09-29 22:51, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Never got 2 100's but when I was working at Wizardz I noticed a mother and a teenage girl start to get in this really bad argument while waiting for the stage show. (This was in the lounge area aka the holding cage) The father asked me to come over and do some magic. Well as you can imagine I was a little reluctant. I mean, here I am doing tricks, and the father is loving it and the mother and daughter are looking off in opposite directions and not even making eye contact with one another. So I decided to take a chance and do a version of Anniversary Waltz with mother and daughter. Reluctantly, they played along. At the end of the set they were all three laughing and smiling. As they started seating the main show the father said thank you and shook my hand. In my hand he had placed a 100. That was one of the biggest single tips I had ever received at Wizardz. I figured it wasn't bad for a 12 minute set!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
[/quote]

Great story Dorian!
Dorian's story is one of those feel-goods that makes us want to say "and that makes the whole art worthwhile", or "That sort of bonding and love was why I got into magic in the first place".

But then, we all know that's not true - we got into magic because we wanted to look cool in front of people!
[quote]
On 2005-09-30 21:52, C.J. wrote:
Dorian's story is one of those feel-goods that makes us want to say "and that makes the whole art worthwhile", or "That sort of bonding and love was why I got into magic in the first place".

But then, we all know that's not true - we got into magic because we wanted to look cool in front of people!
[/quote]

Well, that's not entirely true. I got into magic because I was fooled really bad and wanted to know the secret. Hence, I bought the trick. Performing didn't come until later. After I started performing then I started worrying about looking cool in front of other people. But I've matured a lot since then...

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
I once got a $100 tip for delivering a pizza back when I was 19. Apparently, my pizza delivering skills are far greater value to the public than my card tricks!

Man... that's depressing.
Kudos to Dorian!

I was performing on a guy's 50' yacht (which admittedly is about as small as one could make the leap from "boat" to "yacht") when after a particular trick he handed me a $100 bill (they were worth a bit more ten years ago) and he said, "Come to my party and do that one for my friends, and there is another one of these in it for you."

Needless to say I went to a very fun party, had a great time, did one trick, and made another $100.

Cheers,

Tom
I've never been tipped that highly, but I do remember my first tip ever.

In high school, I was in the drama club. My city has an event downtown every fall called "Centerfest". Lots of crafts, vendors, etc. The drama folks would set up a face painting booth to raise a few bucks.

Since I can't draw or paint to save my life, I performed strolling magic in the crowd, and told everyone to go get their face painted.

On one occasion, I performed a pen thru dollar. The lady was amazed, and said I could keep the buck. I don't know why I stopped performing that effect. It may have something to do with losing about 4 of them over the years.

I've been tipped several times since, but none have been quite so memorable to me. And heck, back then at age 14, I was finally making money doing magic!
[quote]
On 2005-10-01 09:49, Reis O'Brien wrote:
I once got a $100 tip for delivering a pizza back when I was 19. Apparently, my pizza delivering skills are far greater value to the public than my card tricks!

Man... that's depressing.
[/quote]

Yeah, it is depressing.
Frank, I am guessing this could only happen in California. Ok, it may happen in Monaco also. In the real world, the average person's wages would keep the average tip much lower than this amount stated. For most performers, a dollar or maybe five would be the norm but to get $100 would even be a stretch. Anyway, it's just my 2 cents.

Snidini
Snidini,

It could happen whereever there are rich people and drunk people. You just need to practice more.
Biggest single tip I got for literally one trick was 50 (about $175). It was when I was table hopping for this nice nightclub. It a stern looking guy and his mate, I asked if they wanted to see some magic and he said "Make it good". I did a version of the haunted deck with elastic thread, he just smiled and handed me the note. He turned out to be friends with Paul McKenna, weird.

Joe
I got a wonderful tip yesterday: "Don't take wooden nickles"
Dorian,
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you didn't get the $100 tip for doing the trick. You got it for knowing which trick to do...
Wsduncan,

Yes that's exactly it. Thank you for pointing that out! If everyone was able to distinguish that point as you just did, I think magic would be one step towards advancing in a major way. I wonder if I knew what I was doing at the time! Again thanks!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Got one, never two. Why would they give two?
A place to tell stories and experiences from shows, tours or performances you have done. No questions, advice, or theories...just stories!
The best tip I got was "always close a matchbook cover before striking".
Years back at the old "Forks Hotel" I worked this table that had two couples. When finished, the one guy pulled a couple hundred dollar bills from his wallet, started to hand them to me...the other guy insisted he take care of me so guy #1 puts his money away. I'm thinking man...this is going to be good as guy #2 is going to top guy 3#! Well guy #2 hands me the tip rolled up...3 bucks!!! I really felt insulted so I handed him back the money and told him he could probably use it to help pay for his tux rental. Well guy # was so embarrassed that before they left...he walked back in the kitchen (where all the magicans hung out) and gave me 500 bucks! Like a dummy...I refused to accept it. However, it did turn out to be a good thing as he booked me for several affairs after that paying some serious cash!

Mike
One night, not to long ago, I was filling in at O'Donovan's (used to be Schulein's) and Jay Marshall had stopped by for a beer with a couple of friends, whom I didn't know. One of them had just purchased a number of medals from Jay for a rather spectacular amount of money.

Needless to say, I pulled out all the stops, even doing the midmade bill and purse routine as a closer, which got a laugh out of Jay! THAT made my MONTH!. Well, the fellow who had bought the medals shook my hand and left a "little something" in it.

It was only later that I realized that it was a $100 bill.

Jay told that story at the Sankey lecture later that month. Embarrassed the pogees out of me.

The only other time that something like tht happened was in a bar in Southfield, Michigan. The patrons were all Middle Eastern and YOUNG, just over drinking age (maybe). After doing the linking rings, one of the guys offered me $500 for the set. After he showed me a passable 3 card monet toss, I parted with my spare set (actually a set of three rings form an old Corinda's Powers of Darkness package - real cheap-o rings) and he was delighted!

I wound up giving him lessons for about six months, too, Nice kid.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
50 pounds is not $175. More like $80-110
[quote]
On 2005-10-03 00:03, Snidini wrote:
Frank, I am guessing this could only happen in California. Ok, it may happen in Monaco also. In the real world, the average person's wages would keep the average tip much lower than this amount stated. For most performers, a dollar or maybe five would be the norm but to get $100 would even be a stretch. Anyway, it's just my 2 cents.

Snidini
[/quote]

I must admit I have never gotten 2 Hundreds in one show but I have gotten $100 bills more than once. It happen in place other than California. One last Fall at The Texas Renaissance Festival and another at a comedy club in at Camp Lajune in NC. Both were greatly appreciated and unexpected. If it would only happen every time I pass the hat. The norm for me does seem to be 5's, 10's and 20's.
Glatner, your right.
Made a typo, but the edit feature on a post dissappears after while. Although I have seen over $2 to the pound.

Mike Gallo, that was a great story. Shows you what conviction can do to impress someone. You must of been real tempted to take the 500.
I have never recieved anything close to that amount.
I recieved two 5 dollar bills for doing ghost bills with them.
and once I vanished a guy's quarter.he told me if I can do it again with his 2 dollar coin I can keep the coin. one wave his coin is gone.
that's about it I think.
I've gotten $150 before, but never $200 all in one shot (over a period of time from this guy I've gotten well over $200, but never all at once). It was close to midnight and the majority of the people are drunk at this local bar I go to. Now, I'm underage so I'm not susposed to be in there, yet my magical skills keep me in there pretty late. So I perform for this group of people, which I enjoy doing magic for drunk people. They're a lot of fun. So this guy walks up, I know him pretty well and I know it doesn't take much to get him wasted. He tries to tip me, tip me pretty well, but I know he is drunk and I don't really want to take that much from a drunk guy. But he has to give it to me (I don't want to upset him either because even though I can't drink and haven't experienced this I've heard that drunks can get mean) so he sticks it down my shirt, which is fine, but my shirt is tucked in so I can't get it and I eventually forget about it. Later that night, I'm getting ready to go to bed and I'm counting the tips I made, I did pretty well until I took of my shirt and did I hit the jack pot. The cash the guy had shoved down my shirt fell onto the floor all crumpled up so I didn't realize how much it was until I picked it up. Needless to say that guy really made my tip money jump up really quick. It went from about a hundred or so to two hundred and fifty something. God bless the drunks, I know that isn't really a right thing to say, but someone needs to say it.

Cheers!
I'll leave the two 100$ for Johnny Scarne....
Did a two hour gig yesterday afternoon and got a $100 tip. Which was more than one third of what the agent is paying me.
I got some chocolate easter eggs once... from my mom...

Edith