(Close Window)
Topic: Jon Allen's "Silent Treatment"
Holy crap this is clever! I just received mine in the mail (ordered it directly from Jon) What a great way to do card in the mouth. The longer the performer is silent, the better the ending builds... It's about time someone puts an original twist on this trick.

Well built prop too. Easy to use instructional dvd...

And, I think the stage version is coming out soon... That's gonna be a popular item.
I agree, Eric. I wish I'd thought of it. I performed in front of my IBM ring and got a great reaction.
I watched the performance on vid and just wasn't impressed. Is it something that has to be experienced live?
Perfect Opener
A must have....especially if you have the jitters in the opening effect of your show...You don't have to say anything, and it helps you to settle down before your next effect....great item, get it....
I have to agree on this.....
This trick is amazingly great......
Can someone please describe this routine/effect in detail?

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Oct 16, 2005 03:35AM)
One thing to remember guys, practice, practice and practice this. At the last Plymouth Magic Circle meeting, my best friend decided to perform this, even though he knew I wanted it for the close up act. He bought it when he saw the reactions I got. I told him to practice and not mess up if he was going to show everyone before me, and what did he do, he got the wrong card. So always make sure you get the right card, if not, try and have an out. Other than that, it is an exceptional piece of thinking, and all credit to Jon for making this available to all of us, it fools laymen and magicians when performed right. Also, 1 last point, remember to watch Jons facial expressions when he performs it, and mimic them , his face for each board is perfect
You can use this link and click on demo video button

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3153
Thanks so much for the great video link.

I perform a silent magic-comedy show and am seriously considering the possibility (and practicality) of integrating this effect into my show.

The challenge will be that often (but not always)my audience is made up of both French and English-speaking members. A bilingual set of cards would make this presentation too long. Most likely, I would have two separate sets of cards, and use the set that reflects the overall make-up of my audience on each particular night.

Prior to making this purchase, and in order to know if it fits my act, I would need to know...

If in order to perform this effect, does the magician absolutely need to utilize a "stooge/shill" in the audience, a shill that has been secretly prompted, pre-show, to call out the card you wish to "force" (ie. in this case, the Kind of Spades).

I could well be wrong. But I would appreciate an indication as to whether my "guess" on the method is correct.

If it is correct, the effect (sadly) will not work for me since I do not speak to the audience members pre-show time. Remember, my character is completely "silent" all the time (100 percent).

At this point, all insight(s), suggestions and advise would be would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan,

No stooge or shill required, no secret prompts, no pre-show, no dual-reality. It is the same miraculous effect for the person selecting the card as it is for the audience. It is brilliant.

Brian
Thanks for the verification Brian. Very helpful.

Jonathan
Definitely perfect for opener in Stage Magic!
It's not the perfect opener. If you have any kids or drunks in your audience, you don't want them reading for the first trick.
Have to agree with "asper". I was really excited about this trick. I think it is clever, but...

If people are drinking or have bad eyesight then this trick can be difficult. I had someone pull out their glasses! That really broke the momentum of the trick and it didn't play nearly as well as I thought it would.
Yes, a stage version would be great. But jumbo card from the mouth????!!!!

BOB
I am still working on the stage version and while it may not be the perfect opener for everyone, it will solve some of your problems.

There will be a choice of any of the 52 cards. This means the audience only need to be able to read the boards. These boards will be a lot bigger than the curent ones so it will play in large theatres.

Just a tip for people about choosing somene to read something. If you are dealing with an audience "of a certain age" it is helpful to choose someone who is already wearing glasses. There is always an awkward moment wwhen someone has to fumble around to find their glasses so if they are already on their face... problem solved!

I can assure you that you do not have to be The Mask for the stage version! You can still use normal cards. Small objects on stage are fine. It's the same as when you vanish and find a borrwed finger ring. The people in the cheap seats can't see a thing but the reaction of those up front and the opwner tell them it's the right one. Same with playing cards.
I cannot recommend Jon Allen's Silent Treatment...... HIGHLY ENOUGH!! The effect is absolutely tremendous. I ordered this immediately when it was released and have had nothing but success with it.

Caleb
I'd buy a stage version. How much set up is there? How long to reset?
Can you say that our hand never touch your mouth without giving it away?
Magic2253711, what do you mean?

Jeremy, The set up is pretty non-existent and the reset is minimal.
Jon,

Unfortunately, I can't see what you're showing the helper in the video.

It could be construed, therefore, by the audience that you're just showing him a picture of the Kings of Spades. In which case, they're reaction would be "so what?".

I'm NOT saying that is what you're doing, I'm just saying that is what it appears that you COULD be doing.

The idea is wonderful though. Very entertaining and a great opener.
The performance was done not for the video but for the 200 magicians in the audience.

All anyone needs to know is that there are many cards that the person can see.

It's not only a good opener but also works well as an encore piece.
I just got this and I have to say I am very pleased. Easy to do, and it floors people
I might have to get this a lot sooner then I expected too.
I bought this after I saw the,video.I think its a very clever,trick.All of the handling is,covered.The only problem I had was,people wondered why I didn't talk.(as I'm very talkative).Other than that.Well worth it.Especially utilising your facial expressions.
This may seem like an obvious question but would a little background music hurt the effect? I've got it coming in the mail and I've got a school faculty show Dec. 8. Jon, while they laughed with you and your facial expressions for interaction are key, would some James Bond like mystery music in the background add to it or subtract from the presentation? Thanks.
I think that some background music would not go amiss. I have been trawling thorugh various instrumental pieces to find one that is suitable but haven't yet. There would be considerations to music such as timing, tempo and theme. Th music would need to reflect the effect whcih is not always easy to do. When I eventually get the stage version done next year (Hopefully!!!) then music will be something Iwill want to build into the routine. The main thing is that it does not detract from the effect.
Hey guys... Help me out here. I really wanted to do this effect on Monday for a big event. I paid for overnight... And the DVD does not play on all three of my players. And there are no written instructions! I have the three extra cards that I guess can be added in... But I really need someone to call me on the phone and walk me through this... That would be so awesome...!! Help... 203 634 6712 D&B Magic.
3 options -- 1, just don't do it. 2, call the shop where you purchased it. 3, call/email Jon Allen directly. Should be fairly self-explanatory, though.
[quote]
On 2005-12-17 00:39, bekralik wrote:
3 options -- 1, just don't do it. 2, call the shop where you purchased it. 3, call/email Jon Allen directly. Should be fairly self-explanatory, though.
[/quote]

4. Watch the demo.....
Some people can pull this off some can't. It's not a difficult technique but the 'wallet' if you will is the smallest component of the routine wich plays HUGE with the right personality...of YOU!

I don't use it as an opener...however I've placed it between two strong effects. If I don't think that the particular audience is going to 'get it' or 'work with me' if they aren't going for that kind of material...and any seasoned performer can tell...then I skip it altogether and move on...you don't have to do every trick in your line up! You have to adapt sometimes.

Silent treatment is strong, funny and great addition under the appropriate circumstances...one thing though, I haven't used it as an opener...if you start with the card "loaded" already, the audience just thinks it was there the entire time, however if you have conversed with them before THEN the card appears...that's another mystery.

SB
Some people can pull this off some can't. It's not a difficult technique but the 'wallet' if you will is the smallest component of the routine wich plays HUGE with the right personality...of YOU!

I don't use it as an opener...however I've placed it between two strong effects. If I don't think that the particular audience is going to 'get it' or 'work with me' if they aren't going for that kind of material...and any seasoned performer can tell...then I skip it altogether and move on...you don't have to do every trick in your line up! You have to adapt sometimes.

Silent treatment is strong, funny and great addition under the appropriate circumstances...one thing though, I haven't used it as an opener...if you start with the card "loaded" already, the audience just thinks it was there the entire time, however if you have conversed with them before THEN the card appears...that's another mystery.

SB

SB
I prefer having spectators think it was there the entire time. 1 in 52 ain't bad.
Is the selected card always produced from your mouth?
[quote]
On 2005-12-28 01:06, StuBeck wrote:

SB
[/quote]

This has been brought up elsewhere with regards whether the card should 'appear' in your mouth or whether it should be in there from the start.

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with the audience thinking it was there all along. That was the thinking behind the trick! "Oh! So the reason he didn't say anythign from the start is because he had a card in there the whole time. But that was the card I just thought of though!" Try it as an opener and see what reactiosn it gets... you'll never know until you try.

I have done it where I have been talking in routines beforehand then I go into TST silently. It also works. However, this is not a Card to Impossible Location effect; it is a prediction effect if anything.

Jon

p.s. The card is always produced from the mouth.
Thanks Jon

I like demo looks good
Excellent effect JOhn. Please inform us when the stage version becomes available. I'd definitely purchase it.

Haas
When the trick is over, can you speak to the crowd right away, or is there some "clean up" to do first?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Feb 2, 2006 02:30PM)
If you follow the instructions properly for the trick you can talk straight away
Well I'm waiting for mine today, I hope is as good as everybody says. I can't wait...My only question was if it always end up in a card in mouth routine, but I ordered it anyway so I guess I'll find out..
Hello:

I bought ST and agree with the others that it is very clever and well made by Jon, however...I do have one small gripe. I bought it based on the on-line demo, which is ultra, ultra clean - I'm speaking of the whole card revelation part.

I don't want to give anything away, but the reality of the situation is that the on-line demo version (of the revelation of the card) cannot happen very often. The FFFF performance was the ideal scenario, and I assumed this was the typical performance, rather than the atypical (I'm being vague so I don't too much away). It can come very close, but not exactly - unless you have the ideal scenario.

I don't want to say the demo is misleading, but I was disappointed. I had a specific situation I wanted to use ST in, but couldn't.

Still, Jon has produced a real winner. I suppose my issue above isn't an issue with most performers as I don't think anyone has mentioned it before.

Ron
Hi Ron,

What was the specific situation? PLease PM me if you feel you would prefer.

As for the demo video, whatever happened at FFFF, that was going to be the video. However, if you look at it from an audience member's p.o.v., it would be the same thing. That's why I'm interested to know your own, personal scenario.

Jon

p.s. I am away from Sunday morning until Tuesday so apologies if I do not reply straight away
I've got no problem with the demo. No matter which card is chosen, the audience will see exactly what is on the demo.

You've got a winner here, Jon. Thanks!!!
Did this last Saturday at birthday party for about 50 people. I used it as a opener and it was great! I did have some people in the back of the room have trouble seeing the cards, but I should have held it up higher to make it more visible. I didn't have the ideal scenario, seldom do, but doesn't really matter, the effect is the same. Thanks Jon!

Sean
Jon's given me a few sneak previews of the stage version and it is going to be very nice..... I may even have to get one myself.
When is the stage version projected to come out? Thanks, Jeff
Will the stage version be a jumbo card from your mouth?
I really like this effect, I just need to practice "getting the right card" more before I use it.
I am really interested in a stage version.
Would this trick work in a surrounded parlor situation ?
if there was to be an index of some sort with the few shown card at the back of the book/ipad (to be switched against the mouthed one)...
or all the dirty work is well hidden ?
thanks for the help on this potential purchase.