(Close Window)
Topic: Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too
My dearest friends,
Finally, the new set of Osterlind's DVD's are available.

Richard Osterlind’s Mind Mysteries Too continues on from the high-water mark set by the first Mind Mysteries series, one of the best-selling video sets in magic history. Transcending the boundaries of traditional mentalism and magic, Mind Mysteries Too completes the circle of Richard Osterlind’s life work to date. You’ll see Richard captivating and astounding a studio audience with his original material and then you’ll go behind the scenes once again, along with host Jim Sisti, as he explains every nuance of the inner workings of each effect. What’s more, each set of performances is arranged as a mini-show, demonstrating Richard Osterlind’s classical approach to routining, an invaluable lesson in itself! If you enjoyed Mind Mysteries, as thousands did, you’ll love these Mind Mysteries Too!
VOLUME 5
Set One

ULTRA BOARD—For the first time on video, see Richard Osterlind perform his classic Mental Epic type effect with an ungimmicked board!
SPOON BEND—A totally new bend with an ordinary spoon that looks impossible! This takes spoon bending to new heights!
FORK BEND—Three forks just melt over at the mentalist’s command! It looks like power shoots from the mentalist’s hands!
THE VERY MODERN MINDREADER—This is a whole act that uses nothing but a few cards and envelopes. This one can make your reputation as a mind reader!
DIGITAL FEEDBACK—This is the best calculator effect ever! You will stun your audience numerous times and leave them with an ending they will remember!

Set Two

INSIDE THE FOLD—This is one of Richard’s most cherished secrets! An audience member calls out a number. He is handed a folded card which has been in the performer’s empty hands from the beginning. The chosen number is predicted inside. It is that clean!
STAINLESS STEEL BLINDFOLD—This is one of the classics of mentalism. See Richard perform his favorite routine right out of the manual!
PENOMENALLY (PSYCHIC CONTROL)—A pen placed on a bottle moves at the mentalist’s command! There are no threads and the movement is totally under the performer’s control!

Set Three

STOPPING A WATCH—The actual mechanics of stopping watches and changing the times are demonstrated. Richard discusses the applications to many types of watches. Also included is controlling a compass and how to mentally destroy a hotel room key!

VOLUME 6
Set FOUR

MIRACLE FLYING CARDS—See Richard do his classic routine in a new updated fashion in front of a large audience. You will see why this has been called one of the best stand-up card effects ever created!
SPIRIT WRITING ON CARD—This is a totally new routine! A number of blank and ungimmicked index cards are displayed. One is chosen and a design is called out. When a lighter is run across the card, the chosen design is burned into the card! Richard also shows how to control the flame of a lighter!
MULTIPLE KEY BENDING—This is Richard’s personal routine for bending a number of borrowed keys in the hands of a spectator! See how Richard uses suggestion to first cause her hands to lock together and how she feels the keys bending! The best method for bending keys on stage!
CLIP LINE DELUXE—Once you see this effect, you will really understand what’s so special about Richard’s thinking! The classic Clip Line effect is performed in such a way as to look totally impossible even if you know the original secret! This is spectacular!

Set FIVE

AMAZING MEMORY DEMONSTRATION—This may be the most important routine in the series! Not only will you learn one of the most stunning demonstrations you can perform, but the advice Richard gives could change the very way you live!
STENO ESP—This is Richard’s method of doing the classic Mental Epic-type effect with nothing but a steno pad! Not only is this easy and fun, but you will see how Richard’s thinking reverses some of the workings!

Set SIX

OUT OF HAND—This routine has long been unavailable. It won widespread acceptance when it first appeared on Richard’s Challenge Magic. With this, you will have one of the most entertaining Six-Card Repeat-type effects ever invented!
INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH LINK—The performer repeatedly links and unlinks a large industrial spring from a coat hanger with ease while the spectator fails every time! The routine grows in impossibility until the spring actually unlinks in the spectator’s hand!
COIN SNATCH—Richard Osterlind’s own way of doing the old classic with a clever new addition which will convince your audience that you have the fastest hands in the world!
ORIGINAL INSIDE OUT—This is the first time this effect has appeared anywhere! A single folded card repeatedly turns itself inside out with just a wave of the hand! The effect grows as a paper clip is placed onto it. What’s more, the card is given out at the end!

VOLUME 7
Set SEVEN

QUESTION AND ANSWER ACT—This act is worth the price of the whole series! Questions are written by the audience and collected in open view. Still the mentalist answers them in an impossible way! Not only is this act new and stunning, it is the simplest Q&A act of them all! You will LOVE this!

Set EIGHT

TEST CONDITIONS II—Remember the Test Condition Card Effect from Richard’s first series? This is another effect with the Breakthrough Card System that will floor even advanced card men! You find a chosen card under impossible conditions after the spectator returns the card himself and shuffles the deck!
TRIBUTE TO TARBELL—A spectator thinks of a card. Another spectator brings her hand down on the spread deck and finds the first person’s card! A killer anytime, anywhere mystery!
PSYCHOLOGICAL IMPOSSIBILITY—A mentally chosen card mysteriously vanishes from one half of a deck to appear in the performer’s pocket! See how Richard takes a standard effect and turns it into a major mystery!
MATCHBOOK PREDICTION—This is one of the most entertaining and mysterious card effects you can do! A chosen card appears on the inside cover of a book of matches not once—but twice! The audience howls with delight!

Set NINE

ESP STACK—Richard shows his new ESP stack and how it is used to duplicate the actual tests devised for these cards. This routine looks just like the real thing!
OSTERLIND DESIGN DUPLICATION (ODDS)—Richard’s revolutionary method of doing the design duplication effect. This routine was developed based on actual laboratory techniques for testing ESP and is the closest thing to real ESP!
ASHES ON THE ARM—The classic effect is updated by Richard. A spectator writes the initials of a family member on a piece of paper which is burned. The ashes from the burned paper are rubbed on the mentalist’s arm (or hand) and the initials appear in the ashes! This looks uncanny!
Set TEN

PEN PADDLE MOVE—This is Richard’s trademark routine which he uses in trade shows. The writing on a pen repeatedly appears and vanishes. You will be amazed at the effect Richard achieves using this classic principle!
DAD’S FAVORITE—The spectator cuts a deck of cards over and over into four final piles. The top cards are turned over and found to be the four Aces! This amazing effect was actually taught to Richard by his father when he was a young boy!
HAUNTED KEY—Richard performs the classic Haunted Key effect using the methods from his classic book, Making Magic Real. You will see how the key turns over with no movement of the performer’s hands!
SOLID GHOST—This classic is one of Richard’s favorites! A solid ghost appears inside the dark recesses of a folded handkerchief! It is tapped with a spoon and felt by a spectator before it disappears back into nothingness! Watch how Richard uses this to close the show!

DVD: $34.95 each, $99.95 3-vol set Get all 7 volumes— Mind Mysteries 1-4 and Mind Mysteries Too 5-7 — just $199.95
Just like a year ago with him ETMMM they are finally here
And again... I have submitted my order without any hesitation.

I hope Richard has enough of his props available as this will bring a tidal wave of orders for his stuff.

Good Luck Richard and Thanks a Bunch!
Just went to his site and couldn't find anything. Can you give a link on to who has these?
Sure, [url=http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2254]Click here![/url]

Best,

Alfredo
WOW you guys are killing me I just got done ordering the first four. Now I feel that I must complete the set.
Oh well more money spent, just before christmas

carl
Paisa,
It will be a wise investment. Trust me and order the other 3 DVD's.

Best,

Alfredo
When will Richard sell these on his website?

Anabelle
Dear Anabelle

I've sent a PM to Him asking the same thing. As soon as he answers I'll tell you.

Alfredo
I'm going to be patient and wait for them on Richards website, he's been so helpful to me reguarding ordering in the past, so ordering from him directly is the very least I can do.

H.W.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 14, 2005 04:55PM)
We will have an ad up on our website either late tonight or early tomorrow for Mind Mysteries Too. The videos are supposed to be delivered to us (and everyone else) sometime next week.

We have a very special offer to go along with the videos. One of the featured routines on the videos is my Q & A act. The outfit for this act, which we now are calling "The Final Answer" will be available to those who buy the videos from us at a very significant savings. Again, look to our website at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com either later tonight or tomorrow.

Richard
Oh I think I will have to do that..
Thanks Richard. The great review above enhances my pleasant anticipation.

Looking forward.

Regards
Thomas
Hi Richard nothing on the site yet, will check tomorrow (cant wait to order)

First there was MM1
Now MM2
That must give you the "urge" (I know theres a better word than urge I just cant think of it) to eventually do a MM3 ...then MM4... then MM5 ...You don't need to be a Mentalist to see where I'm going with this......Richard? ....Thoughts ?
As I said to you in a private mail to yourself a short while ago, you are Todays Anneman, Corrinda, Canasta, etc You gotta make these into a series The definative mentalists DVD bible!
So I guess it would be better once to release 'The complete works of Richard Osterlind' ;-)))

Greetings
Thomas
Quote:"The outfit for this act, which we now are calling "The Final Answer" will be available to those who buy the videos from us at a very significant savings"
Richard, after checking your web site and not finding the new CDs for sale I placed my order with L&L. Does that mean I miss out on the "significant savings"?
Kent
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 14, 2005 08:47PM)
Kent,

I'm sorry, but unfortunately the discount is only offered to those who purchase the videos from our website.

Richard
Well its 3 in the morning here and still nothing. Or I couldn't find it got to go to sleep but will look into tommorrow. Or please anyone PM so we get the heads up.
As I posted elsewhere, I have three lectures this month, and expect to get paid for at least ONE of them before the month is over. Somehow, I have the feeling that I know where that money is going to go.

Oh, and about that outfit....

[quote]
On 2005-10-14 17:55, Richard Osterlind wrote:
The outfit for this act, which we now are calling "The Final Answer" will be available to those who buy the videos from us at a very significant savings.
[/quote]

The outfit which to which Richard is referring is a grey charcoal Clifford Craft suit. Double breasted.

*jeep!
--Chet
For those who have inquired, Mind Mysteries Too and The Final Answer are now available on the [url=http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/products.htm]Osterlind Mysteries[/url] website.

Thanks to everyone for their support and enthusiasm.
Richard / Jim,

Can you please confirm that these DVDs are formated for International DVD players, ie, Region free.
Best news I had all night:)
I like how these were made as continuations of the first series.
Great news!

I just ordered mine

Sven
Et Voilà

Order is placed. (how surprising)

Now of course I can't wait :)

Sincerely, Matt
Looking forward to the first reviews!
I'm still saving my money to buy the entire series. It's at the top of my "Gotta have ot list" :cheers:
Just got my confirmation e-mail. Cant wait. Got the Final Answer Too.
Just ordered mine,

can't wait. Will I always be this broke????

steve
[quote]
On 2005-10-15 00:15, 7th_Son wrote:
Richard / Jim,

Can you please confirm that these DVDs are formated for International DVD players, ie, Region free.
[/quote]

Every L&L release is region-free and can be played on any DVD player in the world.
Looks like Final Answer is based on an idea from Tarbell.
That's the Q&A that I currently perform!!!

I really would like to know about Osterlind's take on this, the booklet that comes with the props sounds great!
Oh thank, Juan. I was already drooling for this - and excited about Richard's Tribute to Tarbell - and now you tell me that his Q & A is developed from a Tarbell idea? Tarbell & Osterlind: that's a team-up made in Heaven!

(Where's my checkbook?)

*jeep!
--Chet
I am a great fan of R.O.'s.

I look forward to this release. His prior series was excellent.

I purchased his Ultra Board last year and have never understood how to properly use it. Hopefully, the video will assist. Otherwise, I am just going to have to travel to Kentucky and camp out at Richard's home for a private teach-in.

Renaldi
I found the ultrabord easy to understand, it had many many uses, the solid ghost took a little longer to get the handleing down though, and the stainless steel blindfold completely fooled me until I read the manual.

H.W.
[quote]
On 2005-10-15 17:57, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Oh thank, Juan. I was already drooling for this - and excited about Richard's Tribute to Tarbell - and now you tell me that his Q & A is developed from a Tarbell idea? Tarbell & Osterlind: that's a team-up made in Heaven!

[/quote]
Chet,
I learned the routine and got the device several months ago, and have tried it out on several occations for real audiences.
Let me tell you that this routine is everything that is mentioned in the add, - and some more.
The only reason for that I have not used it much lately, is that I have been working with ThoughtScan.
I won't let that stop me for recommending The Final Answer.
It is devilish!!

Sven
I had a dream abnout R.O last night - strange !

He was selling his effects on a market stall. All sorts of things, including glasses that allowed you to see behind yourself.

Just wish I could remember all the effects he had on his table...

Spooky !

Piers.
Piers do you have a link?

Thanks in advance,

Candini
[quote]
On 2005-10-16 05:24, Piers wrote:

He was selling his effects on a market stall. All sorts of things, including glasses that allowed you to see behind yourself.

Spooky !

Piers.

[/quote]

That's interesting, I had a dream friday night just after Mr Osterlind announced he was to be putting the DVD's up oin his site soon, I can't really recall it but it was about getting the DVD's and watching them. I planned to order them saturday, how ever when I woke up, for the entire day I went around knowing there was something I was ment to do, but for got all about ordering until later!

H.W
Chet,
I just noticed your new avatar, it's really fantastic, excellent drawing, did you do it yourself?
To the moderators, sorry about this being off topic, just want other to admire it too.

H.W
[quote]
On 2005-10-16 09:22, Hypnotic Winter wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-16 05:24, Piers wrote:

Spooky !

Piers.

[/quote]

That's interesting, I had a dream friday night just after Mr Osterlind announced he was to be putting the DVD's up oin his site soon, I can't really recall it but it was about getting the DVD's and watching them. I planned to order them saturday, how ever when I woke up, for the entire day I went around knowing there was something I was ment to do, but for got all about ordering until later!

H.W
[/quote]

Perhaps there are more actual clairvoyants amoung us than we realized.:eek:
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 16, 2005 12:49PM)
I'm starting to get a bit nervous about all your "dreams"!

Richard
H.W., thank you; I'll pass your compliment on to the artist, a pro artist who is friend of mine. He tried to take no payment for it, so I gave him a Captain Atom Archives hb. (You're right, this is off-topic. Shame on us!) For anyone who asks: yes, that is a yo-yo in my left hand.

*jeep!
--Off-Topic Chet
I have to add myself to the list. Last week I also had a dream about Richard. I was watching him perform amazing unseen mind reading material live, just a few feet from me. I think later we were at a restaurant with his wife and I remember a guy about my age there too, though I don't remember who he was as he was not with me.

Anabelle
I guess the penny bend from the first series didn't make it :( ***, I was lookin forward to that too. Oh well I'm sure they will be ten times worth the money anyways
Richard

With your Digital Feedback calculator unavailable, whose would you recommend?

Thanks

Scott
This is getting spooky, all these dreams. Is there an analyst in the house?

*jeep!
--Chet
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 16, 2005 08:49PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-16 19:39, ScottLeavitt wrote:
Richard

With your Digital Feedback calculator unavailable, whose would you recommend?

Thanks

Scott
[/quote]

Scott,

We plan to make the Digital Feedback calculators available again within a very short time. The design will be a bit different, but I have been using the new version for a month or so and it is working out. So please just give us a bit of time to redo the book and make some of these new ones.

Thanks so much.

Richard
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 16, 2005 08:50PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-16 18:14, Anabelle wrote:
I have to add myself to the list. Last week I also had a dream about Richard. I was watching him perform amazing unseen mind reading material live, just a few feet from me. I think later we were at a restaurant with his wife and I remember a guy about my age there too, though I don't remember who he was as he was not with me.

Anabelle
[/quote]

Anabelle,

I think now you will be making a lot of the guys on the Café have a few dreams themselves!

Richard
Was that an Osterlind prediction?

*jeep!
--Chet
His prediciton becomes true. Anabell, don't you remember that that unknown guy was me ;-)))))

But seriously, Thanks for the info about the Digital Feedback Richard, since I also wanted to ask you about it. Please inform us as soon as it gets out so I can get one before it is unavailable again, what surely will be the case after some have watched your new DVD set.

That's my prediction!

Greetings
Thomas
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 17, 2005 08:55AM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-15 11:51, Juan D wrote:
Looks like Final Answer is based on an idea from Tarbell.
That's the Q&A that I currently perform!!!

I really would like to know about Osterlind's take on this, the booklet that comes with the props sounds great!
[/quote]

Juan and I have corresponded on PM's and I greatly appreciate his input. Yes, the basic idea can be found in Tarbell. It is based on a mind reading routine by Harold Sterling and I think that is where I got my idea originally. (The book with the outfit explains the background of where I got the idea.) But, the whole routine has been updated and streamlined. The slips are specially printed (this was really expensive and took some work) and the methodology allows the act to be much more deceptive.

I hope that clears up the issue.

Richard
I knew that Richard's Take on this would be great.
While the original idea can be found in Tarbell, Richard has in fact taken it to new heights (what else could you expect?).

There are several benefits over the original Tarbell Act.
The most impressive being the prop used, which makes everything to be as clean as it could be!

I can't wait for the vids to arrive.
And I'll be ordering a "Final Answer" as well, you can be sure of that.

Take Care
Juan D
[quote]
On 2005-10-17 09:55, Richard Osterlind wrote:
The slips are specially printed (this was really expensive and took some work) and the methodology allows the act to be much more deceptive.

Richard
[/quote]

If we need replacements, are they something we could make/have made on our own or would we order from your website?

Thanks!
Brandon
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 17, 2005 03:08PM)
Brandon,

We will be offering replacement slips on our site. They will come in packages of 250 for $20. The numbering and perforation accounts for the price, but a batch that large will last for quite a few shows.

Richard
Darn you Richard! I have been using this (with some updates of my own)for about 20yrs, LOL. I have always thought this is one of those great routines that have been buried and forgotten. Aside from Tarbell, I also came across it in the old booklet "Grant's Fabulous Feats of Mental Magic" by Don Tanner.

I too had updated the crtical prop and suspect I hit upon the same solution as you. Guess I will find out like everyone else when I buy the DVDs, lol.

This was the first Q&A method I ever used and boy was I SCARED! Then pleasantly shocked at the positive response! This was in 1985. Done correctly, it's great.
Cant wait to see your improvments and touches!

Mark Sparkman
When you say you were scared I am hoping you can perhaps elucidate on that point. :rainbow:
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 17, 2005 10:10PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-17 18:36, mdspark wrote:
Darn you Richard! I have been using this (with some updates of my own)for about 20yrs, LOL. I have always thought this is one of those great routines that have been buried and forgotten. Aside from Tarbell, I also came across it in the old booklet "Grant's Fabulous Feats of Mental Magic" by Don Tanner.

I too had updated the crtical prop and suspect I hit upon the same solution as you. Guess I will find out like everyone else when I buy the DVDs, lol.

This was the first Q&A method I ever used and boy was I SCARED! Then pleasantly shocked at the positive response! This was in 1985. Done correctly, it's great.

Mark Sparkman

[/quote]

Mark,

Yes, the basic premise is also in the Grant book, however I really have to wonder about the bottomless boxes with the sliding tray, etc. Maybe it was practical, but it seems like a lot of work!

Let me know how similar your method is after you take a look at mine.

Richard
Re: Digital Feedback

The Hocus-Pocus website is definitely listing these as IN-STOCK. Not sure if this is simply an oversight or if they actually have some available, but it would be worth checking out...

--Josh
Just placed my order today - the dvd and final answer combo. christmas is coming early this year.
Dear Richard,

This is brilliant. I'm sure Clip Line Deluxe alone will be worth the full purchase of the DVD's - the original Clip Line in itself is a master piece. I have already heard marvellous recommendations of your Six Card Repeat version "out of hand" and I can't wait to see your cards across version too "miracle flying cards" (so far I'm in love with Barrie Richardsons version - I'm sure yours are in the very same league).

It sounds like a great selections of effects - and I'm sure as always - you have taken the pragmatic real worker approach to your effects which makes them so pleasing to study, practice and perform.

Of course I've already ordered mine through LLpub - that was before I read your comment about a better offer from your own website.

Well I better start getting by christmas act planned and rehearsed, because when I receive these DVD's I will be seriously distracted.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 18, 2005 03:54PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-18 00:56, Josho wrote:
Re: Digital Feedback

The Hocus-Pocus website is definitely listing these as IN-STOCK. Not sure if this is simply an oversight or if they actually have some available, but it would be worth checking out...

--Josh
[/quote]

They might still have some of the originals. My wife and I made a whole slew of them and sent them off. Since then, the design of those was discontinued. We have some new ones traveling to us as I speak. I have a show this weekend, but will get on it next week and try to get some ready. Look for it on our website.

Richard
I'm sure Clip Line Deluxe alone will be worth the full purchase of the DVD's - the original Clip Line in itself is a master piece.--------
----------------------------------------------------

Boy to make an improvement on this is sure worth a look. I got busted on the Anneman (ungimmicked) version a while back. It is a very strong effect when presented correctly. I have it stored for stage and parlor use. I need to try it out sometime for strolling.
[quote]
On 2005-10-17 22:56, daffydoug wrote:
When you say you were scared I am hoping you can perhaps elucidate on that point. :rainbow:
[/quote]

Daffydoug, The first time most people do a Q&A they are quite nervous...I am sure not all are though... From our perspective the "method" seems so transparent and obvious even and experience performer doing it the first time may feel like it is being seen through until.....that first round of applause to doing the first Q or thoughts revealed. I have talked with a lot of other experience performers and they felt the same way that first time. that's the way it was with me. While outwardly confident...inside I was thinking.."My God, I cant believe it's working so well."

Of course this was at a time when I had no contact with other performers with Q&A experience so, for me, it took a small "leap of faith" to try it that first time, lol.

Any others out there remember their "first time?"
[quote]
On 2005-10-17 23:10, Richard Osterlind wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-17 18:36, mdspark wrote:

Mark Sparkman

[/quote]

Mark,

Yes, the basic premise is also in the Grant book, however I really have to wonder about the bottomless boxes with the sliding tray, etc. Maybe it was practical, but it seems like a lot of work!

Let me know how similar your method is after you take a look at mine.

Richard
[/quote]

Yeah the bottomless boxes and sliding tray sounded too impractical from the get go to me as well...another variation suggested using a hat to do the sneaky part. I will PM you and give details on mine.

Mark
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 18, 2005 08:42PM)
For the record, Mark PM'd me and I think his method is outstanding. It is different, however, from what I have come up with. It just goes to show how beneficial it is to attack a magical problem without having a pre-set solution available to you. There are always options!

Richard
[quote]
On 2005-10-18 21:01, mdspark wrote:
Of course this was at a time when I had no contact with other performers with Q&A experience so, for me, it took a small "leap of faith" to try it that first time, lol.

Any others out there remember their "first time?"
[/quote]

Might want to consider making this a new topic. My experience pretty much mirrors yours.

*jeep!
--Chet
Just for the record, I never have and hopefully never will have dreams about Richard! :)

Regards,
Brian T.
I have never had a dream about R.O., but I am eagerly awaiting my MM Too.
Peace,
Parson
(My Honey ordered it for me.)
Quick question: is this set shipping yet? (I went for the Final Answer/DVD combo...)

I'm just a wee bit anxious. :)

--Josh
Although I have never dreamed about Mr. Osterlind, I did dream about the Breakthrough Card System a couple of nights ago after learning the method from Mind Mysteries Vol. 2 (am I behind, or what?). It only takes about ten minutes to learn the concept, but it takes a little practice to get quicker at it. And it fooled everyone in my dreams. :) I have no doubt that it'll work just as well in reality.
The BCS is simply phenomenal - probably the best card mentalism there is (apart maybe from miracle thought projection, also by Mr. Osterlind.)

Enjoy it!
I just read this thread today and have to chime in. I, too, had a dream featuring Richard Osterlind recently. Just the day before yesterday, in fact. I was at my parents' place and the TV was on. Osterlind was doing a spoon bend, and my mom asked who that was, because he was really good. I told her, mispronouncing his name, then I woke up.

I didn't think much of it until I read this thread, lol.

Oh, and to be slightly on-topic, if I had the money, I'd grab this up. Unfortunately, I don't. :(
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 21, 2005 12:56PM)
Gentlemen,

Please be advised that we will be offering supplies of "NO-DOZE" in industrial strength on our website!

Richard
I think I'll get the "No-Doze" Richard!

Seriously, the night before people started to post about these dreams, I too had a dream about Richard! This is too weird. I dreamt that he was on TV doing a segment on the local news. He was doing a spoon bend and then went on to describe in detail how the effect was done. I was really ticked off at Richard and cursing at the TV!

Maybe the anticipation of Mind Mysteries Too is getting the best of our subconscious?
WOW I have been away from this thread in a few days but ok now we are dreaming about Richard? Well I am glad and ambarassed to say that I for the first time got the First four Mind Mysteries today. I have his ETMMM's but never owned these.
First DVD which I had a brief chance to view was WWOOWW. Also ambarassed to say that todey is the first time I had the chance to learn PCT.
I am embarassed because I have been in the magic game for over 8 years and never owned these. I cant wait to get off of work and watch the rest of them.
And now I'm a rabid dog at the window waiting for the mail man to bring me my
Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too
Great stuff Richard and I thank you in advance.
Is it just me or do you people need therapy? :)

Peace,
Parson
It's not just you.
Maybe Richard is sending psychic commercials into peoples dreams :).
Beats the cost of advertising.

Frances
[quote]
On 2005-10-21 16:00, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
Is it just me or do you people need therapy? :)

Peace,
Parson
[/quote]

You are not alone with this opinion....

Magixx
Be prepared for the 2006 release of Richard Osterlind's Easy to Dream Mystery Masterpieces. Similar to internet downloads, these will be piped directly into your subconscious, where your dreams will follow Richard as he performs unreleased, unexpected, and low-in-carbohydrate routines which have been part of his professional repertoire for the past 20 years. Your dreams will then follow him in discussion with Jim Sisti, as Richard teaches these secrets and the performance skills needed to make you master of your neighborhood.

Yes, you'll also be dreaming about Jim Sisti. But it doesn't end there. You will be dreaming about Jon and Jeanette too.

And maybe David.

*jeep!
--Chet
Wow. Dream-teaching, huh? This must have been a prototype test run, then. ;)
I'll ask again -- anyone know if these puppies are shipping yet?

--Josh
I didn't get an answer either Josho but I preodered without knowing I got the first four in today so ill be busy.
They were shipped from L&L on Wednesday (10/19).

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Trinity
Thank you but like Josho I went with the combo from Richards site.
Go to L&L and check the preview, It plays great.
Once again : I can't wait for these to arrive.
The demo videos for the new Richard Osterlind & Garrett Thomas DVDs are available on the website at

http://www.llpub.com
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 21, 2005 09:25PM)
Paisa, Trinity and others,

We now have the videos in hand and are busy packing them up. L&L gets theirs first, of course, and we got ours a couple of days later. Many of the orders are for multiple items and the response has been overwhelming. About half of our orders are foreign, which requires forms to be filled out, special packaging, etc. All the orders we have to date will go out first thing Monday morning by priority and global priority mail. After that they will be filled as soon as they arrive.

To the few people who have ordered ThoughtScan, my cabinet maker promise to have them finished early next week and they will also be sent out as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and I hope you find the products up to your expectations.

Sincerely,
Richard
Not an Issue with Me Richard like I said I will be busy all week learing the first four. I put my preorder last week when this threa first started, So ill survive. Cant wait!!! But I really can lol.
[quote]
On 2005-10-21 22:25, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Many of the orders are for multiple items and the response has been overwhelming.[/quote]

If only the other online stores that advertise your marvelous inventions would really have them in stock...
Got volume 7 today. Watched it and as the others, good stuff. I like the dedication to Tarbell and like the spin on the Haunted Key. Its all good, just some things appeal to me more than others.

Nice thing to see a magician pointed out in the audience by Richard:)
I wanted so bad to order the set directly from Richard's site but unfortunately the site supports only paypal and I had to order it from L&L.
Never mind I am sure I will be happier when I receive the set.
What is the general problem with paypal? I find it very good.
Too bad some don't have paypal, just credit cards. Im the opposite. Have to hand it to LnL for fast shipment.
Jim and Richard will also accept money orders. I emailed Jim and he supplied his mailing address.
[quote]
On 2005-10-22 00:46, Candini wrote:
like the spin on the Haunted Key
[/quote]

Everybody's a comedian!

--Josh
[quote]
On 2005-10-22 06:27, bodin wrote:
What is the general problem with paypal? I find it very good.
[/quote]

Payments from some countries, like mine, are not supported by PayPal
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 22, 2005 12:19PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-22 00:46, Candini wrote:
Got volume 7 today. Watched it and as the others, good stuff. I like the dedication to Tarbell and like the spin on the Haunted Key. Its all good, just some things appeal to me more than others.

Nice thing to see a magician pointed out in the audience by Richard:)
[/quote]

Candini,

Yes, like all videos, some effects will appeal to some more than others. It always amazes me how one person will think this effect is the greatest thing in the world and someone else will pick something entirely different.

I know what I look for in a series are items that solve problems for me or give me ideas I can use. If, for instance, you are interested in doing a memory demonstration, than these DVD's will show you a very good verison. Same thing if you ever wanted to do a Q&A act and weren't sure how to handle different factors of that, very difficult to put over, type act. Another person might want some effects using an ordinary deck of cards, or a stand up card routine or another idea for the BCS. Maybe it might be as simple as my "pen paddle move" that will turn on some. Over my career I have used all these effects repeatedly and know that they work. I have not held anything back and hope that viewers can get as much, if not more, out of them then I have gotten. There is a wide range of ideas with some being very simple and some a bit more involved. Some do require some special apparatus, but again I was aiming to please everyone. Maybe some of you have the Blindfold and never used it because you weren't quite sure of the handling. The same goes for the Ultra Board. I know these effects kill, but until you actually see them done, you might not grasp how they should be presented.

So, all in all, I am very happy with these and I look forward to hearing your comments once you receive them.

Again, I'm sorry a few of you have to wait a couple of extra days to get yours because of the timing of the delivery of the videos, but I don't think 2 or 3 days will make a big difference in the long run.

Thank you again for all your orders and enthusiasm!

Richard
I agree with the above post by R.O. We all respond to effects differently, even magicians amongst ourselves. I am amazed by what appeals to my audiences and it is differs from individual to individual. It is important to know this as we are entertainers and our primary responsibility is to to entertain.

I look forward to seeing the Ultra Board in action as it has sat dormant on my shelf for close to a year. Hopefully, I will gain some better insight into how and why it works.

Renaldi
[quote]
On 2005-10-22 13:19, Richard Osterlind wrote:

Yes, like all videos, some effects will appeal to some more than others. It always amazes me how one person will think this effect is the greatest thing in the world and someone else will pick something entirely different.[/quote]

Absolutely right!
And I'd like to add something, which many of us already know : Many times, you find that effects that you didn't like at first, turn to be the missing pieces of new ideas for effects that you want to achieve, this could happen days, months and even years later.

One example of it, is PME, 13 Steps and The Jinx : You read it first and you find it dull or as some say , dated, but then as time passes, you start to remember that you read something similar to what you are currently looking and then you bang your head agaisnt the wall once you find that the solution to the problem was already there.

So Candini,Yes, the first time, you will say : "Oh I liked this and this, but I don't think this other will work for me". Give it time, and it will work for you or became the basis of something new.

And remember that all these have been part of Richard's Repertoire.
I'm pretty sure that there are no fillers here, plus I love the fact that the effects are routined!, you get sets of effects that have been planned to comprise complete mini-acts according to Richard's Routining Ideas.

Ok, I'm waiting for my sets to arrive and meanwhile it seems like I'm spending my time talking about it. I'll go back to check the mail box

Juan D
Everybody's a comedian!

--Josh
--------------------------------

Unsure what you meant by this. Perhaps it was my comment about the haunted key. Let me rephrase it. By spin, I meant Richard's take. Forgive my words. I won't say anymore but it was how he presented it I liked.

Yes Richard, some of the simple effects seem to work the best for me. I'm hoping you will continue to come out with your works even though I think I read this will complete your works.
I've been using Richard's Digital Feedback for a couple of years now and it's a shame it's being put on wider release as not many performers I know use it currently.....but that's just me being selfish.

I'm interested to see what changes Richard has made as the original works just fine.
Could anybody be so kind and create a review please?
Greetz
Rick
[quote]
Unsure what you meant by this. Perhaps it was my comment about the haunted key. Let me rephrase it. By spin, I meant Richard's take. Forgive my words. I won't say anymore but it was how he presented it I liked.
[/quote]

Candini,

Yes, I was only trying to say that when you said you liked Richard's "spin" on the Haunted Key, I thought was a funny (and, I'm guessing, unintentional) double-entendre!

--Josh
Just put my order in for the MMToo/Final Answer combo deal from Richard's site, and man it's gonna be hard to sleep until I get those into my greedy little hands...Living in Canada, I sure hope they arrive quickly? "Hey Brian you're looking a little ill, are you feeling ok?" "Yes, I'm fine, I just haven't slept in days- waiting for my Osterlind videos to arrive" :)

Have a great day folks,
Brian
Just a little thought while reading the posts here:

I recommend to everybody Darvin Ortiz´s essay: "Next-book syndrom"....;-)
In my eyes it should be mandatory reading for every magician.

Magixx
I was glad to hear that Richard was going to be shipping Monday.
Richard, congratulations on an overwhelming presale.
Peace,
Parson
Candini,

Yes, I was only trying to say that when you said you liked Richard's "spin" on the Haunted Key, I thought was a funny (and, I'm guessing, unintentional) double-entendre!

--Josh
--------------------------------------------------------------

Josh,

Now I get it, sorry:( As you can see by the times of my ravings here, I miss too many hours of sleep.
[quote]
On 2005-10-23 19:05, calexa wrote:

Magixx
[/quote]

Oh yes... I stopped buying every new effect and book that was out there because I realized that the people who create the dvds learned from sources and books which are classics and almost everybody got them.
Can't wait for these DVDs!!
I really enjoyed the previous 8 DVDs!!
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 24, 2005 07:12AM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-24 05:17, RickDangerous wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-23 19:05, calexa wrote:

Magixx
[/quote]

Oh yes... I stopped buying every new effect and book that was out there because I realized that the people who create the dvds learned from sources and books which are classics and almost everybody got them.
[/quote]

Of course, almost all magic is derivitory. The idea is to create effects that move forward enough to merit recording in a book or video. This can be through presentation or expansion of method. If this weren't so, we would still be learning from "The Discovery of Witchcraft."

Richard
[quote]

Of course, almost all magic is derivitory. The idea is to create effects that move forward enough to merit recording in a book or video. This can be through presentation or expansion of method. If this weren't so, we would still be learning from "The Discovery of Witchcraft."

Richard
[/quote]

Sure, I agree. But it's important to really sort out what you buy and not let your own creativity die.
Kind regards
Rick
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 25, 2005 08:35AM)
Rick,

And there you have hit upon a very, very important point. I think what I look for in a new magic book or video series is more about what the artist does with the ideas than the routines themselves. I try to understand how the performer "thinks" and why he does this or that. Sure, if the routine is good, I will work on it and then see if I can personalize it for my own use. This is what I would hope others would do with my material. Sure, what I say and how I do things is what is good for me, but I want people to watch these routines and say, "I really like that idea. I can do say this instead and maybe use this sleight instead of the one Osterlind uses and it will be perfect for me." You might even think about changing the effect itself or the props. And finally, you might see something that solves a problem with another routine entirely. I am hoping that once everyone who orders these videos gets them, they will not hesitate to ask questions about the material so that we can all have some valuable discussions.

I would like to add that it would be fun to talk about the situations that arose during the filming of MM2 and some of the circumstances of the shoot.

Richard
Richard

I'm definitely looking forward to reading about the situtations which arose during the filming and some of the circumstances.

The more I can learn about the other aspects of performing (audience management, recording, sound and lightning, etc.), the more comfortable I'll be with my performance.

And I'm convinced that I also will have a good laugh. So, please Richard, tell us :) .

Sincerely, Matt
Hi Richard;

After reviewing these excellent DVD's, one question haunts me.
Who exactly is Mr Holmes???
:)

Best-
[quote]
On 2005-10-25 09:35, Richard Osterlind wrote:

I would like to add that it would be fun to talk about the situations that arose during the filming of MM2 and some of the circumstances of the shoot.

Richard
[/quote]

Then let's do it! ;)
By the way... guess it's the same good old L&L audience as in every video ;) (from Banachek to Osterlind to Sankey to Daryl)
[quote]
On 2005-10-25 15:44, RickDangerous wrote:
By the way... guess it's the same good old L&L audience as in every video ;) (from Banachek to Osterlind to Sankey to Daryl)
[/quote]

Gotta love that hockey-hair John-guy.
Richard,

I was only responding to some of the post here that read like. "I buy everything from xxx, without looking at the ads". In my opinion this is the most stupid thing someone can do (and it happens not only in the magic world, but also in the real world). I think the most valuable thing people can do is look at think from a distant point and make a judgement based on their impressions. Those guys, who "buy without thinking" don´t have any impressions. And that is a pity.

Magixx
For me - at least - there is a problem with Richard's DVDs. His persona and presentation are so strong and so viable that I have to watch them -- then put them away for a while before I go back to specific effects that I want to work with.

If I do not do this -- I find myself not only emulating this master craftsman but prone to steal lines, moves,dress and begin to mimick Richard rather than developing my own takes on the material. While it would be a help in making money faster by stealing whole hog (something I am sure is NEVER done by honorable magicians lol) I feel that I do not want to be a clone of any sucessful performer -- and that presents a conundrum.

Richard is successful and polished and a great teacher. In many crafts emulating the great teacher is a very basic step -- but to get in lockstep is not my style. Therefore -- on DVDs - View once, make notes. Put them away for a while (I usually need a week or two to get over Richard's powers.) Then use your notes to view the one or two pieces you want to work with and jog ONLY to them, work them until you have them in your own style.

So, in my opinion -- I remain defenseless in view of great performers. This is the only way I can do things -- without dreaming that I am Richard Osterlind's peer because I work his material in the same way he teaches on the DVDs.

And for me to directly steal the material -- I would have to turn my act into a comedy of errors or a performance tragedy.
I think the reason Richard is so good is that he is so natural. People tend to believe what he is doing is real.
Its not like he is a performer playing a mentalist. He is a mentalist playing himself.
[quote]
On 2005-10-25 16:41, bodin wrote:

Gotta love that hockey-hair John-guy.
[/quote]

This guy is crazy :) (remember the Radar Deck sequence?!) ;)
Richard, as discussed on your website blog, I've put my order in for the MM2/final
answer combo and was just wondering approx. how long it takes to ship to Canada?
I've e-mailed Jim a couple of times, and he has never responded!

Thanks,

Brian T.

PS: For the record, I too love Janelle on the tapes..There are a couple other lovely ladies as well on the ETMMM dvd's -can't remember their names though (some mentalist
I am :) *Richard, is it your idea to have these ladies in the front rows? Notice how they all wear skirts too? Sorry...I'm going off on a tangent - Heh, heh..
I await a fair but critical review of this series from anyone has seen the dvd's. I can only assume many others do as well.

Renaldi
I own them.
[b]Great stuff![/b] A real good investment.
Now go support Mr. O!
We all owe him a lot for what he has given us.
KW
Yes Janelle is a regular now, fun watching her blossum into a young woman. She may have had lazic (sic) now, no more glasses. We were missing Jon though this time, he usually is on the front row.

Margaret was missing from this series I believe. Or wait, maybe she was on them, I have only watched volume 7 once.
[quote]
This guy is crazy :) (remember the Radar Deck sequence?!) ;)
[/quote]

Yes. That one and the marked coin in bottle sequence. Totally on some rush.

But to be serious: I think having a well mixed crowd like this is good. The DVD:s also provides constant examples of somewhat audience management. Otherwise we could as well just read the books, I guess.

-- magnus
And I'm always thinking to myself... these L&L guys saw so much mind blowing magic but the STILL freak out.
It's got to be good material!
I used to think Jon was over the top. Well, I still do -- but I discovered two odd things.

(1) I behaved just as abominably at a Michael Close lecture. The guy blew me away and made me crazy; that's my excuse.

(2) When performing some of the stunts as Richard teaches them, I have received responses JUST LIKE JON'S! Either the material is really that powerful, or the presentation (learned from Mr. O.) is really that powerful, or there are a lot of guys on speed in our audiences.

*jeep!
--Chet
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 26, 2005 03:37PM)
Since some of you have said you are interested and because I promised a little background on the making of Mind Mysteries Too and I would like to begin here.

If you know me than you know what a hectic schedule I have. That's what makes it almost impossible to book a convention or a lecture. I have a management company that I work for and they keep me going with top corporate shows. To turn one down not only mean a big financial loss for me, but goes against my contract, too.

Mind Mysteries was a tremendous success (it still is a top seller!) and Louis Falanga from L&L had already contracted me in 2003 to do a sequel in the summer of 2004. After a couple of months Louis came up with the idea of doing another set of videos called Easy To Master Mental Miracles. I agreed as I saw this as a way to show how powerful the classics of mentalism can be and I was really excited to tackle the job. I felt confident enough with my own material to not let that get in the way of this series. The problem was with the scheduling. Besides my own busy lifestyle, Jim Sisti is always involved in a slew of things as well as running Osterlindmysteries and his own full performing schedule. After much deliberating, we all agreed that it would be far easier to schedule both shoots at the same time over the course of 3 or 4 days. We chose a week and were off and running.

One of the logistical problems was all the props necessary for the 2 shoots. I wasn't too worried about Mind Mysteries Too as that material was mostly effects I was actively doing. ETMMM, however was a different story. These were all effects I had done earlier in my career and which I had to brush up on again. Many I included in my own shows for a few months prior to the shoot. Still, just remembering everything necessary to have ready and then having another set of props ready for the explanations, was a nightmare! My house was covered with sets of props for each effect laid out to be carefully packed so we wouldn't forget anything. In Tahoe, we spent the entire first day orchestrating the 2 shoots and deciding on the order of the sets. After dinner we went to bed early to get ready for the next day.

Lisa and I woke up about 5am to get ready and start laying out the props for ETMMM. We were still in the room when the audience arrived. The first time I saw them was when I walked out to be introduced. We shot the whole series over the course of the day and finished by suppertime. That was 40 effects with only a few re-takes. After dinner we shot about half of the explanations.

Then next day we did the same thing with MM2. The audience was a lot larger and the staging different. We shot that whole set over the day and things went great! I can only remember one re-take. After dinner we finished up the explanations for ETMMM. The next day we started in on the explanations for MM2 and finished up that afternoon. Then we collapsed and had dinner!

As you can see from the above schedule, it was absolutely grueling. (Due, once again, to our own scheduling requirements.) I remember that everything seemed like a haze afterwards and is wasn't until months later, when I received the first working copies of ETMMM that I could really remember what I had done! Same thing for MM2. It wasn't until a few months ago that I saw what I actually said and did on them. But I have to tell you, I am delighted. The new Mind Mysteries Too really reflects what it is often like being on the road. Just this last week I spent half a day flying, getting about 2 hours sleep and then up and running to do a show. Then back to sleep another 2 hours and another show. I really think that many of the things done on MM2 are more "real world" than other videos.

So that is the basics of the 2 shoots. I will be happy to elaborate on other aspects of the 2 series and what went into them. Just for the record, outside of the crew of L&L and a few regulars like Janelle, all of the other people were new to me. Yes, a lot of magicians show up for the shoots, but they are normally seated off to the side or in back. Frank was great and I love the guy! I miss John, however! With everything said about him, he was wonderful. Many have suggested that L&L audiences are "staged", but it is characters like John that are really like what you encounter in real life!

There you have it. Ask away about anything else!

Richard
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for the insight, Richard.

When you speak of 're-takes', what does this involve and why does this happen? Is it usually due to technical difficulties or does something...ahem...'happen' on the performer's end? :)

I'm glad you kept the mistake in Pseudo Psychometry on ETMM, by the way. Let's us all know that mentalists can get things wrong!

Scott.
And I guess it's also a big problem when you mess things up and the audience doesn't react the way you want them to when you perform the effect a second time.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 26, 2005 05:59PM)
Rick and Scott,

I vaguely remember doing a routine twice on ETMMM and completely changing the presentation so it would be different.

On Mind Mysteries Too I was just in a fog when I did Digital Feedback and forgot to make the prediction at the end! (I know, how stupid is that??) But I remembered during the routine and just said let's do this again. So it wasn't as if we had to redu the climax. Both of the above were my fault.

As for the others, if, during the viewing you hear me say, "Now are you sure YOU play cards?" what that really means is that I did the routine just before and the person didn't know the right name of the card!

I think all in all, there were either 2 or 3 re-takes on ETMMM and just 1 (unless it is wishful remembrance on my part) for MM2.

Richard

PS In case you wonder why I used Janette so often, it's because she never messes up an effect!
Great Stories Richard!
If you have the time we'll be delighted to hear more about it

Juan D
Thanks for the great insight, Richard. Sounds like a very busy schedule. Thank you for taking the time to shoot these DVDs as I have learned a great deal about the intracasies of patter, staging, audience interaction, and presentation - all of which I strive to improve upon when I perform myself. Please let me know when you come to Hawaii...if ever with your busy schedule.

Aloha,

Clarke
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 26, 2005 09:38PM)
Clarke,

I will be in Honolulu next April!

Richard
Richard,

have L&L come out with a DVD called "the making of MM2". that would sell, LOL
Badger: Now THERE's a capital idea! (pun intended)

Or do the conversations with Jim Sisti count as "the Making of MM2"?

*jeep!
--Chet
I think they should also release a "behind the scenes look at the behind the scenes conversations between Richard & Jim"...Here we could see that when they call cut, Richard could storm off the set saying I can't work with this guy!!!
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 27, 2005 02:40PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-27 15:32, BT wrote:
I think they should also release a "behind the scenes look at the behind the scenes conversations between Richard & Jim"...Here we could see that when they call cut, Richard could storm off the set saying I can't work with this guy!!!

[/quote]

Actually, Jim and I get along just great. Now, if I were with another host (insert whatever name that comes to mind here) things might be different.

Richard
Hi Richard,

Just received MM2 & The Final Answer combo set.

I watched the Final Answer segment and examined the apparatus.

This is absolutely brilliant! It is the best Q & A set up I have ever seen; including the one I have been usings for years that I thought was the best.

Thank you for sharing all these wonderful effects with the rest of us.

Regards,

Brady

P.S. Please thank Jim for the prompt shipping!
Hello Richard

When can we expect orders shipped to the UK to arrive?

Regards
Richard!

What was the smart-assed question written down during the performance of The Final Answer on Mind Mysteries 7? :)

Brandon
The question was: did Osama do it?
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Oct 28, 2005 08:11AM)
Brandon,

The Osama question is discussed in the explanation. Right at the end. Thanks Alex for mentioning it.

All orders were shipped as they arrived. All foreign orders are shipped by Global Priority mail. When yours arrive if you look at the postage on the box, you will see that it is probably a lot more than you paid! I cannot guarantee how long it will take for your package to arrive, but the exact delivery date is more dependent on your country than the US. I have tracked packages and they are almost always off our border within 2 to 3 days if shipped by Global Priority. Deklan, if you PM me your real name I can tell you when yours was shipped.

Richard
Just got mine today. Looking throug them now bt I just wanted to say.
WOW Shannon(Ashes on arm) she is very pretty.Sory couldn't resist.
Received mine yesterday from across the Atlantic.

Congratulations on another superlative series.
"As for the others, if, during the viewing you hear me say, "Now are you sure YOU play cards?" what that really means is that I did the routine just before and the person didn't know the right name of the card! "
----------------------------------------------------------

WOw, thanks for sharing that Richard! To see it actually happens to you even with an LnL audience is refreshing. I hate it when that happens. Even when I ask them before hand. Now I show a few cards and ask them what the card is before going into an effect. Sure, it may insult some but I even had a man one time (rarely use men for cards) forget the diffences between the clover like thingy and the pointed black thing.
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Oct 28, 2005 02:06PM)
I only have Vol. 5 of MMToo, but it's easily one of my favorites. I especially like the Ultra Board, spoon/fork bends, Very Modern Mind Reader, Inside the Fold, and Stainless Steel Blindfold.

BTW - I missed seeing the behind the scenes footage on this one, but since these were taped at the same time as the others, I can understand.

...and my vote still goes to Cassandra.
What more can you say about the spoon and fork bends ?
The fork spray was beautiful! I was floored when I first saw it. I usually refrain from watching the explanations for a few days (hence my question about the smart-a$$ed comment on The Final Answer) to feel the joy of a spectator for at least a few days, but I had to see the workings behind the cutlery spray.

Thanks, Richard, for your reply and for the amazing material you have 'donated' (your material is priceless and whatever you ask is far to little) to the magic community.

Brandon
Hi Richard!

I'm looking forward to buy these this weekend. I'm sure they'll be as great as they sound.

BTW, I have reviewed your Torn and Restored Post-It Note from MM #4 [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=133569&forum=5&26]Here![/url]

Take Care!

django
Fist off thank you to Richard for putting such great material out there. I got all 3 of the new dvd on Saturday morning and spent the entire day watching the performaces only, time and again. (this was advise taken from an earlier post) to watch the magic happen and try and work out for myself how it was done, I belive I got about 10% right. I spent last night watch just the first DVD explanations, I just sat there with my mouth open most of the time, just amazing workings.
Richard's material is so strong, I just love very moden mindreader, and the spoon bend.
I had uptil now kept away from mental bending, due to not being able to convince myself of it happening (working along the line of making magic real premis) but this spoon bend in the open hand was brillant.

Also I loved the way it has been split up into sets, a much better way of learning.

Finally a big thank you to Jim and Richard for getting mine to me quickly.

Kind regards

steve
Luckily it is my birthday today, so my poor long suffering girlfriend offered to take me out, buy nice things, etc etc (normal present stuff). Unfortunately, I simply told her to go to Richard's site and order the new DVD's. I think she hates me.

But yes, so excited about these. I think the previous 4 volumes are some of the best DVD's I've ever seen, and now these three new volumes, packed with great stuff come along, it's all a bit too much.

Congratulations Richard, keep them coming!!

Simon
The metal bending on Vol 5 is absolutely the best I have ever seen! Thanks Richard, this has easily been worth the price of the set to me. I am in awe that you came up with that original open handed spoon bend just when I thought most metal bending techniques were exhausted. It is so clean and realisitic, I had a guy offer to pay me a large sum just to learn 'how to do that'. I said he would have to commit to 6 hours of daily meditation, etc, etc and he soon gave up on the idea.

Cheers,
Al
Thank you so much for all the great comments! I'm sorry I have not kept up with this thread as much as I would have liked, but we have been going crazy shipping out all the orders we have been receiving. (We already had to reorder the tickets for The Final Answer 3 times!)

Please ask any questions you want about any of the effects. As I explained earlier, the shooting schedule was intense and I may have left a few small points out of the explanations. So if there is anything - please ask.

Thanks again!

Richard
I was especially impressed that Richard was fully explaining most of his retail effects. Anyone want to tally the total of loot you save by buying these dvd's instead of the retail effects? Ultraboard starts it off at $150, making you $50 ahead at the git-go. Digital Feedback at $50, SS blindfold at $75, Steno/VMM mindreader at $20, Ind. Link, Final Answer at $60, ODDS at $20, Solid ghost $25, Psychic Control at $25 and the great 'Out of Hand', long unavailable to the majority of the magic public. I get over $400 worth of work before you start into the Spoon and fork bends.

This year is turning out to be a very good year, Cost vs Value-wise, and Richard has certainly helped.
Is there a bonus section on the DVD's, I cant see it.
To Tom Jorgenson.

The Mind Mysteries DVD's are meant to be an accurate representation of what I have created over my career including just about everything I have developed. Yes, I explain the workings of all my material including marketed effects. Yes, you can make some of the items if you are so inclined. Many, however, require the skills of a craftsman to make correctly. The Ultra Board, for instance, really needs a blackboard with formica edges so as not to dent or wear out with use. I have spent years trying to find someone who could make the Thoughtscan board to my liking. Other effects I make myself at home. Take the calculator for example, that took experimenting (and ruining!) quite a number of them before I got it right. So again, yes you can make a lot of the stuff, but you might want to weigh how much trouble it will be against just getting the product made up already and done the right way.

Thanks for your great comments.

Richard
Ordered Volume 6 a few days ago, should be here soon. Interesting... many effects are magic effects I think. Not so much mind reading as I expected (paddle move...)
Richard - your point about having the materials build correctly is right on!

To have the blackboard with the hard edge is only a part of the problems of dimensional space, working common things with uncommon parts and making them still look common are all part of what needs to be paid for in your development.

In fact -- I am in a tight $$$ period right now and wanted to buy two of your pieces -- but thought to get the CDs. Maybe I would be able to build my own if they were as "common: as they look.

Boy was I right to get the CDs -- because they showed me I have to get the completed props from you as my craftsmanship cannot meet the standard of excellence you demonstrate. I salute your excellence of thought in design -- and know enough about you to know you do not sell second rate stuff.

Now -- save about 5 months eating money from Soc. Sec. -- and I can get the props I need -- and some extra slips.
Sorry if this has already been covered, but is the secret to Ultra Board revealed on Vol. 5, or just demonstrated? The description says: [quote]For the first time on video, see Richard Osterlind perform his classic Mental Epic type effect with an ungimmicked board![/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, Ultra Board was demonstrated but not revealed in "Challenge Magic," and I wondered if this was the case in MMToo.
He tips the whole skinny, my friend! Unbelievably clever.

I certainly agree that having full access of the methods whets your appetite for the finished product...and having the full secrets explained allows you to know what you wouldn't perform as well as what you would perform (and buy). You can direct your spending to the proper product.

There is much you can make yourself on the DVD's...and while most people certainly would buy The Solid Ghost,The Steel blindfold, Ultraboard, etc rather than spend X amount more in wasted material, labor, etc, I thought it admirable that he not only discussed the methods, but gave full pointers and advice just as if you had bought the product and he were advising you. So, if you want to go out in the old workshop and hack out a Stainless Steel Blindfold, Richard gives you all the info, all the little details. Me, I'd pop it on my Paypal and pop a beer and life would be a lot simpler...but you could construct them if you wanted to, the info is there. Amazing.

Again, he seems to render obsolete stuff that has gone before. The bends are within the capabilities of anyone, and are amazing... Power to the people!
I have only watched vol. 5 of the new set, but I can tell you that Richard saved me $150. Ultra
I think that the Ultraboard is a wonderful device. At other times in my life, I would have used it. But, I don't think that I will use it right now.
By Richard's generosity in explaining it's workings, I will save that money and will very probably use it to purchase other "Osterlindys."
Thanks Richard.
Peace,
Parson
I'm going to be very broke pretty soon. So much good stuff, and I must have Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too just to complete my collection. I can't wait till I get my hands on these babies!
Test conditions II just floored me. What an amazing effect. This one I will certaining use myself. A perfect answer to performing mentalism to any wanna be magicain or performing ones that is. even when you know the method, it will still amaze you to watch it. I love richards comment that he uses a lot, 'there's the move right there'. you tend to blink at that point and then pause and and rewind. then laugh to yourself for such genius.
Also I really appeciate the openness of richard showing the workings of the props he uses, like already mentioned, basicly showing you how to make your own. This gives me to the chance to pratice with a home made item , until I am ready to perform for audiences, at that stage I can buy the professional unit.

regards steve
Volume 6 arrived 3 hours ago...
Thank you Richard for reminding us of corinda. Great work!
Some material REALLY fooled me.
Richard/Jim,

Any chance of publishing a separate book with detailed plans for making some of the effects that you use in performance? I agree that in many cases it would be easier to buy the product, but I was interested, for example, in plans for making a Thought Scan board. I'm certain the craftsmanship and quality are excellent, but I also enjoy creating gimmicks, props, and devices myself.

Scott
Richard,

Im sure I'm not alone when I say this but, any chance you will ever come out with one of your corporation real world performances on DVD? I would love to see you performing in front of a big venue. I ensure you I would be one of the first to purchase this DVD no matter the quality!

Candini
Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too has a total running time of 6.5 hours!

Richard has over-delivered with this set.
It's been a week and I still have not gotten through all of them. But I really loved Q&A test.
Thanks again for the great comments. I can't tell you how much I do appreciate them.

Let me take the time to answer a few questions. I don't know if we will offer building plans for some of the effects like ThoughtScan. I think I gave enough info on Vol. 1 for making it and you can tell from the paper inside the approximate dimensions. The same for the Ultra Board. But,who knows? If I ever do that "big book" maybe we can do that in there.

As to offering a corporate show performance, that is a problem. There are very few companies who would agree to having one of their shows videoed and offered for sale. These are all very private affairs and they don't want footage being spread around. We even have trouble getting shots for a demo video for my own promotion.

Yes, there is a lot of material on these 3 DVD's. I really thought they would be 4, but we were able to get it all onto 3.

As to my old friend Jim Spinnato's question, "You are a troublemaker!!!!" (Just kidding, Jim. :))

Richard
I know this has been brought up before.
But say fo my sake where do I go to get a good size and type of paper for PCT. A friend send me some but I know ill need more just to practice.

I mean online if I have too Im statinoned in Iceland so its a little harder to find staples.
Richard,

Thanks again for taking the time to answer. I think it's so great that performers at the top of their game like you and Banachek take time to answer our questions.

Scott
Paisa23:

Richard sells pads for the center tear that are just perfect both in size and paper quality
DIttos, thanks RIchard for all your help.
[quote]
On 2005-11-04 23:17, paisa23 wrote:
But say fo my sake where do I go to get a good size and type of paper for PCT. A friend send me some but I know ill need more just to practice.

I mean online if I have too Im statinoned in Iceland so its a little harder to find staples.
[/quote]

paisa23,

yes, we sell our CT pads on our website at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/ I just got around to reading your private PM to me. (Sorry I was traveling and missed it.) Maybe we can take care of the other product you mentioned at the same time.

Richard
Why is everyone being so nice to Richard Osterlind?
Am I the only one who is dissapointed in this set of DVD's?
I ordered mine and although I was not going to have time to look at it for two weeks, it showed up in about three days.
I thought that I would be able to learn this mentalism thing in about an hour. But NO!
Already, I have had to watch over 6 hours and I'm still not very good at this stuff.
BTW, How many days does it take to become a perfessonel mindreader?
Peace,
Parson
[quote]
On 2005-11-05 10:58, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
Why is everyone being so nice to Richard Osterlind?
Am I the only one who is dissapointed in this set of DVD's?
I ordered mine and although I was not going to have time to look at it for two weeks, it showed up in about three days.
I thought that I would be able to learn this mentalism thing in about an hour. But NO!
Already, I have had to watch over 6 hours and I'm still not very good at this stuff.
BTW, How many days does it take to become a perfessonel mindreader?
Peace,
Parson
[/quote]

Very funny, indeed.
[quote]
On 2005-11-04 23:17, paisa23 wrote:

[/quote]

I am from Austria (Europe) and I ordered mine at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/. All together lasts about two weeks until I got it. And I can say, this type of paper is much better than every other I tried before.
Perfect for the PCT.
Yes... it's hard to get them if you're in Europe.
Greetz from Germany my neighbour!
[quote]
On 2005-11-05 12:16, RickDangerous wrote:
Yes... it's hard to get them if you're in Europe.
Greetz from Germany my neighbour!
[/quote]

But now I got them and I'm happy about it.
Yesterday I've got Mind Mysteries Too from L6L
What a wonderful weekend :)
Schöne Grüße aus Österreich
Went ahead and purchased volumes 5,6 to complete the works. Can anyone post a mini review on the metal bending on the second series? My mail is superslow:(

Note: I tell you I don't think I can stomach watching Q n A anymore. The guy who wrote the Osama question really gets to me. True, we will experience jerks a lot but its not about him being a jerk. Its the question he wrote. He could have written a million different wisecrack questions but he tapped into a source that
many would have to be restrained to keep their hands off him. He knew what he was doing, it wasn't like he didn't. And to do it knowing it was heing filmed.

Well done Richard how you handled that. You knew this was being filmed and your disapproval was very obvious. I don't think I could have been that kind. I probably would have stopped the shoot and got him out of there. I would have read the question too......Thats just me. I know it wouldn't be the best solution but it would have been the most generous considering.
These DVDs have some of the best metal bending that you can get. and over the years I seen all the DVDs that have metal bending. the fork spray is awsome.
Thanks Richard and all of you as well I will send you a PM to see about your other products.
[quote]
On 2005-11-05 14:05, Candini wrote:
Went ahead and purchased volumes 5,6 to complete the works. Can anyone post a mini review on the metal bending on the second series? My mail is superslow:(

Note: I tell you I don't think I can stomach watching Q n A anymore. The guy who wrote the Osama question really gets to me. True, we will experience jerks a lot but its not about him being a jerk. Its the question he wrote. He could have written a million different wisecrack questions but he tapped into a source that
many would have to be restrained to keep their hands off him. He knew what he was doing, it wasn't like he didn't. And to do it knowing it was heing filmed.

Well done Richard how you handled that. You knew this was being filmed and your disapproval was very obvious. I don't think I could have been that kind. I probably would have stopped the shoot and got him out of there. I would have read the question too......Thats just me. I know it wouldn't be the best solution but it would have been the most generous considering.
[/quote]

Candini,

I spoke to the person afterwards and I don't think it was his intent, in any way, to be disrespectful. Sometimes in the heat of a performance, some people do things without a full understanding of just what they are saying or doing. He probably was just curious as to how I would deal with it. In retrospect, I'm glad it all happened that way as I was able to show how to handle that type of situation and also the variety of other questions enabled me to show a large diversity of answers.

Richard
There's just so much A-list material on these DVDs it's hard to digest it all. The spoon bend looks absolutely beautiful. That's the one I'll be doing from now on for sure. And the "Matrix" bend still looks ridiculously cool!

I also liked the fact that there's a lot of traditional magic in this set. It makes for a nice change of pace.

I found myself laughing and clapping at the TV while watching these. This stuff is just so entertaining and so clever.

I wish however that Richard hadn't tipped some of the items that were tucked away in his books, especially the Amazing Memory Demonstration. I've been doing this since I fist read it in Making Real Magic (which made me go back to Corinda). It was fun memorizing and recalling the items as I was watching Richard do it. I just hope others bypass this routine and don't perform it ;)

Thanks for another great set of videos Richard!
Which routine was that again. LOL a lot of great material.
Caved in and bought vol. 5 last night, looking forward to some of it.
Why does Richard keep on forgetting spectator’s names all the time?

I know he joked about it in the DVDs but I still think that it weakens his persona.

Doesn't Harry Lorayne also teach how to remember people's names?
I don't think it matters if he forgets there name when he is predicting the Niece's name via PCT. LOL
I am the same way. I can't remember the names all the time either. I just tell them Im not good at remembering. I don't think it lessons the performance even though I know I could do a better job remembering. SOmetimes when I ask them their name the say "you tell me."

Thanks Richard for pointing out about the guy with the Osama question.
I got my set a couple of days ago, and have watched them a couple of times.

As I own copies of pretty much everything that Richard has released before, much of the material is known to me, and I use quite a bit of it.
Nevertheless, watching Richard do these routines with all the subtleties, is wonderful education, and will add a lot to how I have done these things up until now.

Another thing is the things that have not been available for a while, like
Miracle Flying Cards, Original Inside Out, Out of Hand and quite a few other effects.
These are also amazing, practical to the point effects that you also will fry your audiences with.
You really got me with these, Richard!

Even though I learned that from Richard many months ago, I have to mention the new spoon bend.
If you ever claim to be able to bend spoons, this is the way to do it, - right in the open, and directly under your spectators' nose.
I use it constantly together with the routine from MM!.

I often wonder how much money the average magician or mentalist spend on all the new things the dealers continously pours out to the market.
Hundred of dollars? Thousands?
I have to say that the relatively spoken modest investment in Richard Osterlinds MM, ETMMM and MM Too give a value many many times of what most of us have filled the bottoms of our drawers and our books shelfs with, - stuff that that in many cases not is practical, and that we never use.
Richard's material is amazing, practical, varied, and makes me ask myself if I need anything more than this.
I think not, and I won't hesitate to say that what Richard Osterlind has released starts to look like the Tarbell series of our time.

Thanks a lot!

Sven
[quote]
On 2005-11-06 00:17, pierredan wrote:
Why does Richard keep on forgetting spectator’s names all the time?

I know he joked about it in the DVDs but I still think that it weakens his persona.

Doesn't Harry Lorayne also teach how to remember people's names?

[/quote]

Don't you get it? It's a TACTIC! Just like not completing my sentences or going off on a tangent out of nowhere. You do that and it constantly keeps the audience off guard. Compare how I talk during performance with that of the explanations.
Hello Richard.

I never realized you did this deliberately throughout all 7 volumes of Mind Mysteries.

I agree that "not completing your sentences or going off on a tangent" can keep an audience off guard or even make you look as if you keep receiving different impulses/impressions at times. However, I do not believe the same applies to remembering a person's name. After all, you have demonstrations where you call people by name even though their name was never revealed to you (except for being written on a folded piece of paper).

However, when it's the second or third time you ask the same spectator to remind you what their name is, it just seems off. After all, you are apparently reading deep thoughts within their mind but you can't read such a basic unguarded thought such as their name?

I just don't see it. But then again, I have much less performance experience than you do. Maybe you could enlighten me.

Thank you.
Quote: "Why does Richard keep on forgetting spectator’s names all the time?
I know he joked about it in the DVDs but I still think that it weakens his persona. "
I think this makes Richard seem human ( kind of like us) and easier to relate to. I think this adds great credibility to his performance. I also am amazed that Richard is willing to share so much of his performance techniques.
Kent
BTCS is incredible. I don't know a stack but I think I will take the tie to learn this one.
It really only takes ten to twenty minutes to learn the BTCS principle. Then if you work on it for even just ten minutes a day, you'll get good at it in no time. I keep a deck that is in BTCS order on an end table, and practice during commercials while watching TV.

Basil
I wasn't going to go into this here, but I can see this needs some explaining and perhaps some readers will get something out of this. What I am about to tell you is how I developed my own performing characteristics and why I have. I am not saying this would be right for you or even that it is right at all. It's just what happened to me and why I am the way I am.

For me, the greatest influence has always been The Amazing Kreskin. I used to watch his TV show and all his guest appearances. He is the reason I became a mentalist and I would be lying if I didn't tell you how much I emmulated him. I often wondered about the absentmindedness he often portrayed and it took me years to understand the reason and to adapt it to my own performing style.

If you could snatch thoughts out of the air you would either be doing it all the time which would probably make your head explode or you would "turn it on" with great effort when you needed to. This, of course, is the route to go. This effort would be mind-draining and could cause you to have an "absent-minded professor" attitude. I sometimes think of it as the Rainman/sevant syndrome. If you had to increase one area of your brain, others might suffer to the point that sometimes you almost seem to be a dunce. This actually is very theatrical and brings to mind movies like "A Beautiful Mind." A lot of mentalists don't realize this and make their effects look too easy. I purposely try to get myself into this frame of mind where it almost appears I am sacrificing some of my commone day-to-day thinking processes to use these "other abilities." I don't consciencely think of each word I say, but rather just get in that frame of mind and let things happen automatically (like forgetting names). Quite often, in real paying shows, by the end of the hour I look completely drained. People often ask me if I get a headache after a show or comment that I look about ready to fall over. It's like a prize fighter who can summon all his reserve to knock out his opponent after 10 rounds and then collapse a moment later after he wins.

Besides the theatrical value, it also makes it easy to play the part. During my ThoughtScan routine I often will stop mid-sentence to say something totally unrelated to what I have been talking about as though a thought just hit me out of the air. This method of working also has the effect of capturing the audience's attention as they sit there and wonder what is going on in my head!

This all has been well thought out and, believe me, I know what I am doing. Let me repeat that this all is what is good for me. For you it might be the worse thing in the world. But you have to think about your persona and the image you are trying to portray.

Richard
Richard:Not that you had to explain for many here,but that clarification was a lesson itself.Thank-you.
One of your nuances that I really enjoy is when you look up(almost like you are looking into your cranium)for an answer.
When I do a PK effect or the haunted key,at the conclusion I hesitate for for a second almost like I am emerging from deep concentration,and sometimes I am a little unsteady on my feet.If I am not mistaken..this is called ACTING.It usually cranks up the audience reaction exponentially. Rich
That's in my eyes very important. You invested so much energy into this show that people have to see that. (My opinion!)
When I saw Max Maven performing he sweated and looked exhausted after his act. People thought: "Oh... this guy is really working hard to do the things he does on stage!"
It's definitaly a part of the whole "audience-should-see-the-process-of-mindreading" thing.

Rick
The question about him forgetting names is a valid though. It's something that I had noticed as well, especially in MM Too. But I've always thought that his "forgetfulness" made him look more real. Some in the past have compared his stage persona to that of Columbo. Columbo always seems forgetful (he always "forgets" to ask that one crucial questions and then comes back as an after-thought to ask it). He never seems like he has it quite together, yet you know his mental wheels are constantly spinning...
Richard,
A penny for your thoughts on this...
I have wanted to do a memory act for a while. While I am capable of putting together a good memory show, after meeting literally hundreds and hundreds of people each year, I don't always remember names.
Question... do you think tht this "turning on the memory" could work in that way?
It has really stirred my thought processes.
Peace,
Parson
Mr. Osterlind,

Thank you for the insight.
[quote]
On 2005-11-06 18:24, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
Richard,
A penny for your thoughts on this...
I have wanted to do a memory act for a while. While I am capable of putting together a good memory show, after meeting literally hundreds and hundreds of people each year, I don't always remember names.
Question... do you think tht this "turning on the memory" could work in that way?
It has really stirred my thought processes.
Peace,
Parson
[/quote]

Parson,

Your term "turning on the memory" is exactly right. I think I told the story once before on the Café of how I got invited to a dinner party by a friend only to find out from a few people there that he had told them I would do a show without asking me first! So I "turned on the memory" and used Harry's systems to memorize all the 100 or so guests who were there as I met them. When he asked me to do something, I got up in front of the group and told them how happy I was to meet them all. Then I started telling each person that by name! I ran through the whole group in about 5 minutes and ended with, "Now I think it's time to eat!" And everyone was happy.

Richard

PS I think my "friend" got the hint! And YES, Harry's systems will allow you to memorize ANYTHING!
The Columbo analogy really cracked me up! Now if Richard show's up on his next release wearing a trench coat and chewing on a cigar,you guy's only have yourselves to blame. :) Rich
Thanks heaps, Paleo -- now I can't get that image out of my mind!!

While I'm waiting for this set (My wife told me that my birthday presents are gonna be late, so I'm keepin' my fingers crossed!) may I relate how the PCT may have saved several people's sanity last night?

I'm lecturing in Columbus today. So I'm on a plane in Philadelphia, waiting to take off. Two hours later, we're STILL sitting on the runway, waiting to take off - and tempers are starting to get raw. I turn to the lady next to me and say "Let me try something," and find her mother's name with the PCT. (We're talking about the first DVD series or the book, but it's related to MM Too.)

Can you imagine keeping people entertained for the better part of half an hour -- with nothing but bits of paper and an ink pen? You really *can* perform it surrounded, and perform it over and over without "tipping the secret." I'm beginning to think I could make a living just with the PCT.

So if MM Too offers even ONE item which is half as useful as the PCT --- well, I just can't wait!

*jeep!
--Chet
The odd thing is that when I was thinking of Richard's "absent-minded professor" approach yesterday, I was thinking that it reminded me slightly of Columbo. I decided to pass on mentioning that because I figured people would think it was a bit of a stretch.

Basil
[quote]
On 2005-11-06 16:16, Fred Berthelot wrote:
The question about him forgetting names is a valid one. It's something that I had noticed as well, especially in MM Too. But I've always thought that his "forgetfulness" made him look more real. Some in the past have compared his stage persona to that of Columbo. Columbo always seems forgetful (he always "forgets" to ask that one crucial questions and then comes back as an after-thought to ask it). He never seems like he has it quite together, yet you know his mental wheels are constantly spinning...
[/quote]

What an interesting observation regarding Richard Osterlind's persona.
[quote]
On 2005-11-06 14:00, Richard Osterlind wrote:
I wasn't going to go into this here, but I can see this needs some explaining and perhaps some readers will get something out of this. What I am about to tell you is how I developed my own performing characteristics and why I have. I am not saying this would be right for you or even that it is right at all. It's just what happened to me and why I am the way I am.

........... SNIPPED for brevity .........

This all has been well thought out and, believe me, I know what I am doing. Let me repeat that this all is what is good for me. For you it might be the worse thing in the world. But you have to think about your persona and the image you are trying to portray.

Richard
[/quote]

Thanks so much, Richard, for this information. This is one of those insights that a teacher can impart to students that almost immediately elevates and and enhances their performance.
[quote]
On 2005-11-06 14:00, Richard Osterlind wrote:

.......... SNIPPED for Brevity .............

[/quote]

Not many performers write about their character and [b]inner scripts[/b] publicly like Mr. Osterlind has just done. Why? because more than any secret method, it is character, presentations, and styles that is copied more often in the entertaiment world. He has taken a risk in order to teach a lesson. Don't imitate.

Thanks again.
Oh dear!
>>Just because Mr. Osterlind does these things during performance doesn't mean everyone should. <<

Does this mean that I have to stop saying, "Good evening. I'm Richard Osterlind" at the beginning of my show now? :)

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
[quote]
On 2005-11-07 17:03, Trinity wrote:
>>Just because Mr. Osterlind does these things during performance doesn't mean everyone should. <<

Does this mean that I have to stop saying, "Good evening. I'm Richard Osterlind" at the beginning of my show now? :)

[/quote]

Yes! How dare you steal the phrase "Good Evening". :)

Basil
Why would you say, "Good evening. I'm Richard Osterlind" at the the beginning of my show now.
Surely they would know its the beginning of your show

:lol:
WOW ive been out for a while when did all of this come about. Any way after watching again just to see where it came from.i could see the whole Columbo thing happening. But it is easy to tell the act from the Explanation. Richard just happe to master his Theatrical part and has happen to fool some of the seasoned few here in the Café. Great job Richard. And "Good Evening to everyone else" or wait I cant say that its taken.
This is a really interesting thread. Actually, I don't mind the Columbo thing at all. Although I don't think its quite on the money, yes, the way you can tell he is thinking and knows more than he is showing is very right on target. The difference might be that Columbo is trying to figure out the solution to the crime by analzing all the facts of the case in his head whereas, as a mentalist, I try to deduce what a person is thinking based on the thinking processes of myself and my spectators. But the outward appearance is the same. There is great drama either way when the objective is reached.

Since many of you seem to like analyzing these little nuances, let me talk about something else entirely. In my books I try to talk about drama in magic and its standing as art. I am always trying to excite different emotions from my audiences and capitalize on whatever arises. In the previous discussion of my remembering names, if you remember I used to to make a joke about how I can remember all those objects but not Shannon's name. Then I asked for a number and instantly called out "duck" to the delight of the audience. This is an illustration of what I am talking about. Let me give you another that you might find amusing.

When I did the Ultra Board effect, things were going pretty much as ordinary throughout the routine. I got to the last person with the amount of change and when I asked him for the amount he called it out, but when I asked "what coins" he mentioned that part of that was in pesos! (You can follow my thought process while watching the video after I tell you this) My first thought was "Great! Some are pesos! I can make something of this!) So I turned to the audience and said "Pesos!" with a look of surprise on my face. My mind was working on how best to capitalize on this. Then I got the idea to make it a joke. I said, "Why the hell do you have pesos!!??" This got a great laugh, but also let the audience know this was really out of the norm. I got a few moments of laughter there and you could see me acting like I couldn't believe what happened. Then I mentioned that I couldn't even be sure if the amount he called out was correct because of the pesos, but then I suddenly changed gears, whipped off the card and shouted out the right amount! You saw the reaction THAT got!

The point is that by cutting off the flow of the routine, making a joke about the mexican currency and quirping with the audience about this crazy situation, I got them laughing and in a totally different mood from what had been going on. That made the climax that much STRONGER when it hit them between the eyes! Its like watching a horror movie and seeing something funny, relaxing, and then suddenly beings scared out of your skin a moment later by something else.

You must play with both your audience's senses AND THEIR EMOTIONS. I have talked about this in my books, but it is emotion and only emotion that makes what we do stand out as art!

Richard
Excellent capitalising on a given situation, thnaks for sharing it Richard.

For me and my work, my job as a mentalist (or mindreader if I am precise) is about using anything and everything that is given to you in any circumstances , to your advantage. Of course that means twisting things around and changing . Being adaptable and going with the flow is far more important to me than any "trick".

Just a thought.
Kennedy
Well, I also want to thank you Richard for the insights in your thinking This thread, especially the recent 15 posts or so could fill a whole chapter in a book what mental routines should look like.

So when you watch Mind Mysteries Too again with all the infos Richard gave in this thread you really can feel how your process of thinking is pushed foward a big step.

I had the impression that Richard had even more fun on the new MM Too DVDs. ;-))

Greetings
Thomas
Remember: "Get your mind blank... GREAT job Scotty!"
love it
But back to this wonderful discussion...
[quote]
On 2005-11-09 09:33, sjdavison wrote:
Amen to Mr Osterlind's last post, which seems to have been moved. Unfortunately Mr Osterlind, there are far too many where he came from, and always will be!

Appletruth, if you have a difference of opinion, then at least express it cohererently, respectfully, and maturely, and be willing to accept views that may differ from your own.

Simon
[/quote]

Simon,

No, I deleted it myself as I felt it was a bit too harsh. I hate being patronized while getting a knife in my back and I am trying to figure out if that is what is happening here or if I am just having a problem with a language barrier? What I do know for sure is if I was a brand new member on a forum, I think I would be a little more careful with my words!

Richard
I am eagerly looking forward to the arrival of these DVDs. Richard, I ordered them from your site - any idea on shipping time to the UK?! Very excited about this, an early Christmas present!

Simon
[quote]
On 2005-11-09 10:41, sjdavison wrote:
I am eagerly looking forward to the arrival of these DVDs. Richard, I ordered them from your site - any idea on shipping time to the UK?! Very excited about this, an early Christmas present!

Simon
[/quote]

Simon,

Please send me a PM with your order information and address and I will check on when your order was sent out immediately.

Richard
Funny how much stuff I miss when I watch the DVDs for the first or second time. I'll read a post here and go back and watch and see what I missed. All the little nuances that combine to make the effect strong.
Candini,

That is precisely why I am trying to stay on target with this thread so as to talk about all those litte nuances and why I did the things I did. (for better or worse) Please don't hesitate to ask about anything!

Richard
Can't wait to get this set

Bev
I think (my opinion) that Richard has realized that his persona on stage is that of an ordinary mortal with some extraordinary things that happen to him regularly -- and sharing them. Open and human, unlike most magicians with a "look at me-- every trick a perfection" attitude.

There is no sloppiness -- remembering a name is NOT the point of the effect -- but the revelation of the information as a focused mind to mind experience thought is.

When you think, do you preface your thoughts with "I (your name here) think xxxx ". If you did, then a mentalist would get your name every time.

A good mentalist must think well beyond "magical" presentation and even forget the baloney about the "too perfect" theory. He must think, IMHO, in terms of human perception accepting the effect as something real and the presenter as developing a talent or inate skill in the realm of mind reading -- or precognition -- etc. -- which are. when demonstrated in real life, subject to clarification and interpretation.

Note the subtleties in Richard's way of revealing a relative's name -- "if you had a picture here -- and you showed it to me, as I looked at he little girl would you be saying 'this is a picture of my niece Alice'". (Or words to that effect.

The impression he is receiving a picture rather than a written name -- and only hearing a spoken name in his head removes the heat from the written part -- AND with pauses and presentation seems to flow to the mind from a mind and not become a revelation of a rabbit out of a hat.

This keeps Richard's persona likeable, human, and to an audience, revealing of a mysterious process of the mind -- accurate when it counts, and able to clarify when needed.

It's that ***ed likeable side I cannot come up with -- I wanna work dark!

GC
I think the Man and HIS material is of great worth that's all. I mean just the fact that this has become a 9 page thread should tell you that. People will always criticize that's all.
Chmara, some good thoughts here:

When you think, do you preface your thoughts with "I (your name here) think xxxx ". If you did, then a mentalist would get your name every time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I try to open my strolling with a warm up called Animental. It is a simple four card display of animals. I approach them with "I am trying to get you to think in colors and see who I can focus with."

I then go into other things but always use a PCT or other type billet. Lately, Ive run into a few skeptics which I gather happens to many of us. Not that the focus is on the writing but what happens to the billet after the writing is completed. Very seldom with the PCT does anyone say anything but when they do, I assume it is a guess (he must have or is reading it). With a CT or any s****h,
perhaps eyes will be on it or what you are doing with it.

Sorry a bit off topic here but been battling with billet demons for a while now.
Has anybody from the UK ordered these, received them, and NOT been stung by customs?

Scott.
Richard,

Seriously, I was thinking after I just completed my gig tonight. I know you have had too many experiences for most of us to remember.

Wait a minute, Im getting a date here....possibly Im getting better at this stuff....Im getting a year, the year is 1948, does this mean anything to anyone on the thread?

ANyways, sorry but I was thinking if you ever got the urge to put out some of your experiences with hecklers, effects gone bad etc? Like a bloopers type book etc?
Out of all the books I ever read, not much ever goes into this. I know I could write a book tonight and sometimes I like to see what seasoned pros have been through. Sometimes its not a case of spectator management, bad handling etc etc.

Just tonight I had one male demand to see the deck. I did a switch (to BCS) which I performed for another male and I could hear the wiseguy talking to his buddy the whole time. Afterwards, I left a card on the table and he was examining the back for marks. The deck I was using previously was gimmicked but I wasnt even doing the effect for the wiseguy.

Sorry for venting but I guess we can't control everyone.
[quote]
On 2005-11-09 23:38, Candini wrote:

Wait a minute, Im getting a date here....possibly Im getting better at this stuff....Im getting a year, the year is 1948, does this mean anything to anyone on the thread?
[/quote]

As a matter of fact, I just finished catalouging the first 33 pages of 1948's *Popeye* #1 (Dell publication) about 30 minutes ago. How did you know that?

[quote]
Unable to stop, Candini continued writing:

ANyways, sorry but I was thinking if you ever got the urge to put out some of your experiences with hecklers, effects gone bad etc?

[/quote]

Now there's a helpful suggestion. Richard showed some marvelous audience control on the first MM DVDs, and there might just be a market for teaching us rookies how to deal with hecklers. Michael Close addresses this problem (and has some suggestions) while interviewed by Michael Ammar on his *Ultimate Workers* Volume 3 DVD.

Such a project would be best *explained* in text; but it would be most helpful to see it in action. Now, how does ensure one has a heckler during filming?

*jeep!
--Chet
Nice take Chet......1948.....hmmmmmmm I'm getting some more visions also, don't think you are the only one here..........

I would gather someone who has done thousands of shows instead of hundreds or even double digits, would have to think back and wonder why just one or two knuckleheads would get under mine (our) skin. To me anyways, its not really about money so much as touching someone on a personal level. So far, during all of my adult shows, I left one person affected. I will even stay overtime where I work without getting paid if I have people still requesting some action (tables).

I understand Richard's feelings in his last book about lying etc. I feel bad and good when someone comes up to me and asks me what special gifts I have. I basically tell them what Richard does, about Im an entertainer, Im glad I performed well for you, no special gifts blah blah blah and then wonder if anyone in the audience is thinking the same thing. Its good to also hear, you are good and nice trick but they seem not to have the same meaning.

Way off track here, just its late and after gigs its hard to wind down.
I shouldn't be up at this late hour. I have a flight to catch tomorrow (today) and need to get to sleep.

Goodnight gentlemen.
Have a nice night, Richard. I just had a weird vision of you sleeping in a stainless steel sleeping mask... it must be late.

Greg
You three are responsible for the recycled soda on my computer screen.

*jeep!
--Chet
Back to serious discussion while Richard is away.

The strength of this material is in what the spectator participant perceives you have caught as it radiates from his mind. The further you can take the material from a direct readback revelation (unless you have written it down FOR that revelation) the more human and impossile it seams. If the audience gets the feeling they are "leaking" thoughts from their brains -- what an impact.

I love the subtleties - such as the line below revelation one on the chalk board -- and the cents sign sticking out of space 2..... I wonder if their is a stronger way to get to the 3rd position force -- just as I see the strong way Richard has come up with his. The use of his method with the weakest revelation first --- priceless. Knoiwing how long it to Richard to come up with and perfect -- I think it is going to be a long but hopefully not fruitless search to find a force that would work better for me........(maybe a geometric draw).

I have to agree, Richard did look somewhat tired on parts of the presentatins -- and now we know why. It is amazing to me that with all that pressure and tired feeling that the material is still very strong and delightful.

One question -- how did you deal with audience fatigue? Sitting through 80 pieces of material, while not as wearying as performing, could bring a cloud of inattention to the group -- as well as calouses on the buns.

And that brings me to pacing -- during audience member actions -- filling out cards etc. This is one difference between "filll every moment with action magic" and mentalism I continually question. As we stand in front -- and make a few comments while the paperwork is filled out -- how does the silence affect the pace? Fast writers waiting for people who write slowly become board?

Kreskin, when I last saw him, moved about the audience constantly chattering to pass billets and then collect them in the envelopes and seal them for the audience to hold -- allowing the slow writers to seal and sit on the billets they were working on while he moved back to the stage......

As he "gathered his thoughts" on his clipboard he walked three audience members through some card mentalism tricks -- with a few short pauses as he scribbled furiously...and directed applause to the volunteers who ready each other's minds or dealt perfect hands.....etc/

His Answers to questions then followed at a rapid pace -- jumping focus to various audience spots -- quickly passing the misses -- and focusing on detail on the hits.

Then-- in conclusion -- out to the audience again to find his check with Hellstronism.

This-- almost magicianlike - kept the audience engaged without pause.

How would you (or particularly Richard Osterlind) program the huge series of effects now at out disposal on the DVDs into a solid act without gaps and awkward moments of silence????
I think one thing that's best to learn from Richard's DVDs is how he takes old ideas and gives them a twist here and there. How he can take something from Corinda or Annemann and breath life into it.
How many times on these boards do we see, "what's the latest book or effect out there?" when we should be following Richard's lead and thinking, "let me look into that old, classic stuff and see what treasures I can find inside."
Richard should inspire all of you to constantly read and then reread 13 Steps, Annemann and Tarbell... that is the source of many of the true secrets of magic & mentalism.

Greg
[quote]
On 2005-11-09 11:42, Candini wrote:
Funny how much stuff I miss when I watch the DVDs for the first or second time. I'll read a post here and go back and watch and see what I missed. All the little nuances that combine to make the effect strong.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2005-11-09 12:28, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Candini,

That is precisely why I am trying to stay on target with this thread so as to talk about all those litte nuances and why I did the things I did. (for better or worse) Please don't hesitate to ask about anything!

Richard
[/quote]

I just love the original Mind Mysteries series. I am amazed at the little bits of nuance I keep picking up each time I watch them. It is a big mistake to just watch them once and then try to learn the effects being revealed. Look at the audience management, the blocking, the recovery from unexpected audience responses, the clear and precise audience instructions, etc. There is just so much to these DVDs. I look forward to obtaining volumes 5, 6 and 7.

Thank you Richard for being so willing to share and for your patience with all of the Café members--including those who try your patience and disrespect you with every post. Your love of the craft and willingness to slough off the slings and arrows speaks volumes about your professionalism and you as a person.

Mike
Just ordered these (twice! oops), really excited! Dynamic Mysteries is one of my all time favourite magic books, and so it will be great to see some of these effects come to life (albeit in a selfish way I'm more sad, as so many more people will have their hands on these classics!!)

I'll be waiting by the letter box for these......

Si
Nice,

If you could only order one of the DVD's ( cash restraints ) which one would it be ?

Piers.
I think there's no way you cannot go for all three.

A bargain being in the UK - with the deal Mr OSterlind is putting out, and the conversion rate (bless you!) all three columes comes out around £65. In England, one magic DVD normally is around £30. Fantastic!

Si
Can I ask ( So I can ask Father Christmas ! ) who in the UK sells these?

Regards,

Piers.
If you guys who have the DVD could order only one...which volume would it be?

Mark
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 11, 2005 01:57PM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-10 00:23, Candini wrote:

I understand Richard's feelings in his last book about lying etc. I feel bad and good when someone comes up to me and asks me what special gifts I have. I basically tell them what Richard does, about Im an entertainer, Im glad I performed well for you, no special gifts blah blah blah and then wonder if anyone in the audience is thinking the same thing. Its good to also hear, you are good and nice trick but they seem not to have the same meaning.

Way off track here, just its late and after gigs its hard to wind down.
[/quote]

Candini,

What I like to say is that besides being an entertainment, my show is meant to show the potential of the human spirit. I explain I use abilities we all have in my own special way. Rather than try to copy what I am doing, I would hope the spectator would realize that whatever it is he/she is desirious of in life is obtainable and that no goal is impossible.

Richard

Richard
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 11, 2005 02:05PM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-10 15:05, chmara wrote:

One question -- how did you deal with audience fatigue? Sitting through 80 pieces of material, while not as wearying as performing, could bring a cloud of inattention to the group -- as well as calouses on the buns.

And that brings me to pacing -- during audience member actions -- filling out cards etc. This is one difference between "filll every moment with action magic" and mentalism I continually question. As we stand in front -- and make a few comments while the paperwork is filled out -- how does the silence affect the pace? Fast writers waiting for people who write slowly become board?

Kreskin, when I last saw him, moved about the audience constantly chattering to pass billets and then collect them in the envelopes and seal them for the audience to hold -- allowing the slow writers to seal and sit on the billets they were working on while he moved back to the stage......

As he "gathered his thoughts" on his clipboard he walked three audience members through some card mentalism tricks -- with a few short pauses as he scribbled furiously...and directed applause to the volunteers who ready each other's minds or dealt perfect hands.....etc/

His Answers to questions then followed at a rapid pace -- jumping focus to various audience spots -- quickly passing the misses -- and focusing on detail on the hits.

Then-- in conclusion -- out to the audience again to find his check with Hellstronism.

This-- almost magicianlike - kept the audience engaged without pause.

How would you (or particularly Richard Osterlind) program the huge series of effects now at out disposal on the DVDs into a solid act without gaps and awkward moments of silence????

[/quote]

Chmara,

For your first question, their were actually 2 different audiences over 2 days. The first for ETMMM was a small one and the one for MM2 was a much larger one. Yes, some people were at both. There was a break in between each segment and since there were very few retakes, things moved along pretty good. There was also a break each day for lunch. In addition, we had a lot of fun in between sets where I was joking with the audience.

For your second question about pacing, let me say I approach each performing opportunity according to the size and temperment of the crowd. Since this was a smaller group than a typical stage show, and since they were being videoed, I approached the show like I would a normal TV show. When I do these routines on stage before 200 - 500 people, I move along much faster. Again, I take my lead from Kreskin, the master, and try to keep up a running line of conversation and take advantage of anything that arises. The feeling at this type of show is a lot more like a fast moving stage production than the more cerebral atmosphere of the studio.

I really wish I could tape a live show in front of a larger group, but most companies don't want that! I just got back today from a show for a large construction conglomerate last night and was thinking how that went just as was discussed above.

I hope all that helps.

Richard
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 11, 2005 02:09PM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-10 15:19, Greg Arce wrote:
I think one thing that's best to learn from Richard's DVDs is how he takes old ideas and gives them a twist here and there. How he can take something from Corinda or Annemann and breath life into it.
How many times on these boards do we see, "what's the latest book or effect out there?" when we should be following Richard's lead and thinking, "let me look into that old, classic stuff and see what treasures I can find inside."
Richard should inspire all of you to constantly read and then reread 13 Steps, Annemann and Tarbell... that is the source of many of the true secrets of magic & mentalism.

Greg
[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more, Greg. As much as I would like to take credit for all this material, almost all of it is derived from previous works. But I suppose how that has been since the beginning of time! You can't go wrong with the books you have mentioned and what you need to do is just "turn around" a few classic ideas to come up with "new" stuff.

Richard
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 11, 2005 02:17PM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-10 18:24, Turk wrote:

I just love the original Mind Mysteries series. I am amazed at the little bits of nuance I keep picking up each time I watch them. It is a big mistake to just watch them once and then try to learn the effects being revealed. Look at the audience management, the blocking, the recovery from unexpected audience responses, the clear and precise audience instructions, etc. There is just so much to these DVDs. I look forward to obtaining volumes 5, 6 and 7.

Mike
[/quote]

Mike,

I really appreciate your words. I would hope you might take this approach when viewing these videos. If you were to watch, let's say, a pianist who has been practicing his art for over 30 years, you might want to laud him, but you would also understand that his expertise is simply the result of the amount of time he has put into it. You would also assume that many sour notes were played over those years! If you like what you see on my videos, rest assured that for every good thing, 10 bad things were done first! What I would hope you would see is "experience" and, like my cousin who is a top-rated cabinet maker would say, "If you don't get good at something after doing it your whole life, you had better give up!"

Richard
[quote]
On 2005-11-11 15:17, Richard Osterlind wrote:

I really appreciate your words. I would hope you might take this approach when viewing these videos.***

Richard
[/quote]

No problem, Richard. Just trying to give credit where credit is due and trying to acknowledge the respect that is due while simultaneously both thanking you for your selfless contributions both to magic and to the Café while also trying to widen the perspective and horizon of many on this Café site.

Mike
Do the spoon and fork bends require any gimmicks?
MMMM....I can't seem to put my thumb on that one...MMMMMM
Or mabe I can!
Right that's it! Im ordering these babies today (UK)I have all of Richards other DVDS. These will bring me up to date.
Second hand keyboard for sale (see appletruth)
[quote]
On 2005-11-11 22:04, mattisdx wrote:
[/quote]

No. The fork bend is absolutely wonderful.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 12, 2005 06:58AM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-11 22:04, mattisdx wrote:
[/quote]

Mattisdx,

Neither the spoon bend or the multiple fork bend require any gimmicks. I have been bending silverware for a long time now and I have found that if you can't meet a challenge when someone hands your their fork or spoon, your reputation will suffer. So I have tried to stay away from any bending that requires a gimmick.

Let me use this opportunity to mention something about the silverware I use. I do bring my own spoons and forks with me. Sometimes I work at shows where there is no dinner being served and sometimes I work at clubs where their silverware is very special and the management would resent my using their silverware. So I bring out my own stuff and honestly announce that I brought it so as not to use the club's. But I am always ready to bend anything handed to me and usually that is what happens.

Basically, don't take changes in possibly offending someone, but be ready for anything!

Richard
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 12, 2005 11:53AM)
For those of you who own The Final Answer, I have put up a new idea on my blog at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com. Please check it out!

Richard
Okay, the vision became clearer to me right before a show today. Its a date:

March 6, 1948

Will someone acknowledge if this means anything (even historical), this is driving me crazy!

Candini
Other than Richard's birth date, I don't know what it could mean, Candini!

By the way, if you'd like to sign the petition to have Richard's birthday declared a national holiday, just send a SASE.

*jeep!
--Chet (You watch. Somebody will take that seriously.)
On March 6, 1948, Ross Lockeridge asphyxiated himself in the garage of his new home.
He was the author of Raintree County.

Peace,
Parson
Can the fork bend be done with just 1 fork? Or does it have to be 3 ?
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 12, 2005 06:57PM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-12 19:04, mattisdx wrote:
Can the fork bend be done with just 1 fork? Or does it have to be 3 ?
[/quote]

The effect of the fork bend is that 3 forks all melt over like a wilting flower. When you see the explanation you will understand why 3 are used.

Richard
Just watched my Vol. 1, good stuff with Penomenallly (fooled me Richard :( )and The Very Modern Mindreader. Will look forward to the second and third when I pick em' up.
I see that ODDS is included in the set. I’m curious. Do we get to examples of how Richard Osterlind draws the images? If so, how many images?

Thanks,

Elliott
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 13, 2005 07:42AM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-12 22:19, ElliottB wrote:
I see that ODDS is included in the set. I’m curious. Do we get to examples of how Richard Osterlind draws the images? If so, how many images?

Thanks,

Elliott

[/quote]

Yes, I do the complete routine. I only draw the one picture that was chosen at the show. I do not give examples of images for the same reason I did not give any in the book. You must go with you own feelings! After spending my life doing this kind of work all I will tell you is that there IS something to picking up feelings from a spectator. Whether you want to call it some type of telepathy or just an understanding of personalities from clothing, speech, etc., you have to learn how to "read" people and thier personalities. You also have to take into account how long a person takes to draw the picture, their posture and so many other things. These points come across as "feelings" and you must learn them yourself.

Richard
And of course, Richard, we see another example during the explanation section with Jim Sisti.

The image chosen in the show was the rollerskate, and the image used in the explanation section was the violin. Both examples demonstrated how well the ODDS works.
[quote]
On 2005-11-13 09:33, Daniel Lander wrote:

Both examples demonstrated how well the ODDS works.
[/quote]

And at least one demonstrated how I apparently haven't any ability to draw a violin...
[quote]

Yes, I do the complete routine. I only draw the one picture that was chosen at the show. I do not give examples of images for the same reason I did not give any in the book. You must go with you own feelings! After spending my life doing this kind of work all I will tell you is that there IS something to picking up feelings from a spectator. Whether you want to call it some type of telepathy or just an understanding of personalities from clothing, speech, etc., you have to learn how to "read" people and thier personalities. You also have to take into account how long a person takes to draw the picture, their posture and so many other things. These points come across as "feelings" and you must learn them yourself.

Richard
[/quote]

I understand. I suppose I do tend to look for shortcuts.

Thanks for responding so quickly,

Elliott
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 13, 2005 04:04PM)
Elliott,

Here is one more tip that I didn't give anywhere else. If you are unsure of what the picture might be and you have 2 ways to go, no problem. Make your first drawing and then change your mind and make a second. You show both but then use the one that comes closest. Either say your glad you changed your mind or else that you should have just stuck with your first. Again, all this comes from the original idea of the laboratory tests. From what I understand, Geller was allowed multiple trys for each target.

Richard
Thank you for that idea. I’m very certain that it will come in handy.

Thanks again,

Elliott
This brings up something which I added to my act: Richard's recommendation to "go for broke" sometimes. I tell people up front that my success rate is only in the eighties or high seventies, and that I might fail. Then, from time to time, I make leaps in logic (i.e. - Darned Good Guesses) which sometimes hit and sometimes don't. As Richard explains in MM1, this seems to make it more real to the audience. (That discussion between Jim & Richard is something I go back and study frequently.)

It probably deserves its own thread, and I may start one or search to see if a similar thread exists. The best explanation (for why it seems more real) is that the audience must be thinking (even if unconsciously) "If this were just a trick, he'd be right 100% of the time." When, for instance, I thought a woman's deceased uncle was named "something like Jake" and it turned out to be Jack, she was certain that I couldn't have picked it up from a PCT.

*jeep!
--Chet
Couldn't agree with you more Chet, I always make sure I miss on a regular basis (well not too much, or else I won't get anymore bookings!) It does seem to make things a little more real to the spectators. By the way, finally received my MMTOO/Final Answer combo today in the mail...From what I've seen so far, it's stellar!!! Kudos to you Richard!

Best,
[quote]
On 2005-11-13 20:17, mormonyoyoman wrote:
This brings up something which I added to my act: Richard's recommendation to "go for broke" sometimes. I tell people up front that my success rate is only in the eighties or high seventies, and that I might fail. Then, from time to time, I make leaps in logic (i.e. - Darned Good Guesses) which sometimes hit and sometimes don't.
*jeep!
--Chet
[/quote]

I I believe it is in the PCT booklet where Richard calls this "fishing with a whale on the line". Even if you miss, you've got such a huge revelation coming that you can afford to go for broke.

Cheers!

Brandon
Richard,

Have you ever heard of any persons in the L n L audience purchasing your series and discovering how effects were done?

PS: Maybe Im the only one who comes up with this stuff:)

Candini
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 14, 2005 08:35AM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-14 00:44, Candini wrote:
Richard,

Have you ever heard of any persons in the L n L audience purchasing your series and discovering how effects were done?

PS: Maybe Im the only one who comes up with this stuff:)

Candini
[/quote]

Candini,

Not only has that never happened to me (well, not counting the magicians in the back, of course) but I have never, since I put out the original Mind Mysteries, had ANYONE at any show or elsewhere tell me they bought my videos to find out how the stuff was done.

The only people who will invest the money and time to get the materials are real magicians who honestly want to learn magic!

Richard
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 14, 2005 08:48AM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-14 00:21, B&B Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-11-13 20:17, mormonyoyoman wrote:
This brings up something which I added to my act: Richard's recommendation to "go for broke" sometimes. I tell people up front that my success rate is only in the eighties or high seventies, and that I might fail. Then, from time to time, I make leaps in logic (i.e. - Darned Good Guesses) which sometimes hit and sometimes don't.
*jeep!
--Chet
[/quote]

I I believe it is in the PCT booklet where Richard calls this "fishing with a whale on the line". Even if you miss, you've got such a huge revelation coming that you can afford to go for broke.

Cheers!

Brandon
[/quote]

Brandon,

That's right! And sometimes, if you are lucky, you will wind up with an even bigger whale!

Richard
There are numerous outstanding routines performed and explained by Mr. Osterlind on his new DVD set. The In the Fold effect is a terrific, yet relatively simple method of using NW inside a folded paper without the use of any special gimmicked wallet. The folded card is clearly and openly held in the hand and is openly given to the spectator to open to reveal that the number/information contained within the folded paper is the same number/information thought of by the spectator.

Just when you thought that there was no more to be learned on bending spoons or forks, Mr. Osterlind shows a wonderful method of bending a spoon on your open palm as well as a magnficent trio-fork bending effect that looks like flowers wilting in the fingertips of the performer.

Several effects demonstrated and explained by Mr. Osterlind are marketed by Mr. Osterlind including his PK pen effect and Design Duplication which are all worth obtaining. A truly outstanding effect is Mr. Osterlind's Question and Answer routine. It is super easy, straight forward and truly enteraining. This Q&A act is a complete act in of itself and is certainly worth purchasing.

Several months ago, prior to the release of his new DVD set, I purchased Mr. Osterlind's Ultra Board. In all honesty, I was hesitant to use it since I was used to and comfortable with using another type of no-force Mental Epic board that I have been using for a long time. However, after watching Mr. Osterlind demonstrate the Ultra Board in DVD# 5 of his new DVD set, I was impressed with how easy the Ultra Board was to use and its effectiveness and impact on the audience. Being able to use the Ultra Board for other effects and then to use this ungimmicked board for the mental epic routine is very strong and convenient and deceptive. In fact, I was so impressed with Mr. Osterlind's handling and use of the Ultra Board that today I ordered a second Ultra Board and will be retireing my gimmicked Mental Epic Board.

I truly enjoyed wathicng and learning from Mind Mysteries Too. Mr. Osterlind is a true master performer and teacher.

Michael
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 14, 2005 12:24PM)
Michael,

Thank you for that wonderful review!

Let's see now. Since you wanted a second Ultra Board for a backup, perhaps you should order backups for all our other props! Just Kidding!!! :)

Thank you again for your kind words. Make sure you look up the additional hints for the Final Answer on our website.

Richard
Mr. Osterlind,

Actually, I also ordered a backup Q&A (the first one I ordered it was at the reduced rate when I ordered the DVD set from your site) and extra slips as well as TWO extra PK pens and another pack of NWs. Sorry, I only have one of your Thought Scanners, which is another terrific item. I am going to need a new briefcase just for the backups. But at least I know if and when you ever stopped marketing these items, I will be assured of having the best professional mentalism routines available for the next several decades.

I will look up the additional hints for the Final Answer.

It was my pleasrure to write this honest review and even more so to wtch adn learn from your videos and your ease of style of performing. I only hoped that you would have revealed your bent penny routine from the bonus footage from your first DVD set.

Best regards,

Michael
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 14, 2005 01:39PM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-14 13:45, magicinsight wrote:
Mr. Osterlind,

Actually, I also ordered a backup Q&A (the first one I ordered it was at the reduced rate when I ordered the DVD set from your site) and extra slips as well as TWO extra PK pens and another pack of NWs. Sorry, I only have one of your Thought Scanners, which is another terrific item. I am going to need a new briefcase just for the backups. But at least I know if and when you ever stopped marketing these items, I will be assured of having the best professional mentalism routines available for the next several decades.

I will look up the additional hints for the Final Answer.

It was my pleasrure to write this honest review and even more so to wtch adn learn from your videos and your ease of style of performing. I only hoped that you would have revealed your bent penny routine from the bonus footage from your first DVD set.

Best regards,

Michael
[/quote]

Michael,

I was kidding about ordering all the backups. I had no idea that you had!

Thanks,
Richard
[quote]
Michael,

I was kidding about ordering all the backups. I had no idea that you had!

Thanks,
Richard
[/quote]

Mr. Osterlind,

Neither does my wife.

Michael
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 14, 2005 02:12PM)
Since the Ultra Board was just mentioned, I probably should just let you all know the circumstances concerning the manufacture of that and the Thoughtscan boards. After many years I found a plant here in Kentucky that agreed to make these for me. Anyone who has ordered them knows the quality. They are a large outfit doing huge jobs. I always try to reorder when our supplies get low. As you probably know, this has been a bad year for people getting sick. They had 3 of their main people out and fell behind on all their orders. We had been waiting for almost 3 weeks to get more of the Thoughtscan boards in. They finally arrived yesterday and all back orders were shipped out immediately. The Ultra Boards will be ready this week and the couple backordered will go out right away. Thanks for all your patience!

Richard
Well, last weekend I was booked to do mentalism show in Budapest at a convention and after feeling exhausted from my show, though it was very successful, I finally got time to watch Vol.7 of Richards new DVD series completely.

And so again I just want to add some comments on Richards new DVD Series without repeating previsous posts too much. But I have the urge to mention this.

I use lot of material of other great performers, some of my own inventions but Richards stuff really influenced me a lot and thus it plays a big part of my mentalism. Maybe I am one of the, if not the biggest, fan of Richards' work here in Austria.

Not only have influenced me the effects but the more his thinking behind effects, especially his improvements to old classics because I also like to reread old books and find 'new' stuff for my shows.

SO many good reviews about the effects have been written here at the thread. So I just want to add that I also really enjoyed watching the ecplanation section and the very nice and thoughtful comments between Richard and Jim. Especially at the explanation to 'Dad's favourite'.

When Richards explained this it really was a pleasure to watch the comfortable atmosphere in the studio and, at least I, could see the emotion of this effect to Richard. I even could imagine Richards father sitting in his chair with a shot glass and giving the cutting instructions to little Richard (I don't mean the musician ;-))

So just that's the reason for this post. After watching this I felt so relaxed and full of satifaction. I am this kind of emotional man, at least my wife loves that, and so such things wouldn't mean much to others watching the DVD but to me at this very moment it was like real magic.

Thanks Richard, not only for your effects, ideas and thoughts but also for making visible your feelings and emotions.

Greetings
Thomas
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 14, 2005 06:48PM)
Thanks, Thomas. :)
I agree with everything Thomas says.

I have been watching The Modern Mindreader over and over and really love this one.
Have a few questions Richard. I watched repeatedly to see when you did the dirty work but didn't catch it. The third or fourth time, you walked back laughing and I am pretty sure you were doing it then. This was so funny, you had everyone laughing and the whole time you were doing your thing:)

ANyways, here are my two questions.

1) I know you mentioned colors for the writing slips but I have only come across bright yellow (your yellow looked very good). DO you think it would be suspicious if I cut up some manilla matching envelopes into 1 by 2s and used these to hand out for the spectators to write their thoughts? It would be an exact match and very deceptive.

2) Any ideas how to make the envelopes open easier (dirty work)? I noticed you did this very fast but sometimes while practicing, they stick. Time is of essence when ones back is turned.

Once again, very nice! My wife kinda sat through some of the explanations cause I had it on. Then I switched to the performance and I could tell she still wasn't sure anymore:)
This is one heck of a great thread, and must be a The Magic Café record in the keeping to the topic (almost) all the way through, and the number of posts.

All the applause here is is very well deserved, and shows how much we all appreciate Richard and his work and thinking.

Sven
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 15, 2005 06:58AM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-14 22:45, Candini wrote:
I agree with everything Thomas says.

I have been watching The Modern Mindreader over and over and really love this one.
Have a few questions Richard. I watched repeatedly to see when you did the dirty work but didn't catch it. The third or fourth time, you walked back laughing and I am pretty sure you were doing it then. This was so funny, you had everyone laughing and the whole time you were doing your thing:)

ANyways, here are my two questions.

1) I know you mentioned colors for the writing slips but I have only come across bright yellow (your yellow looked very good). DO you think it would be suspicious if I cut up some manilla matching envelopes into 1 by 2s and used these to hand out for the spectators to write their thoughts? It would be an exact match and very deceptive.

2) Any ideas how to make the envelopes open easier (dirty work)? I noticed you did this very fast but sometimes while practicing, they stick. Time is of essence when ones back is turned.

Once again, very nice! My wife kinda sat through some of the explanations cause I had it on. Then I switched to the performance and I could tell she still wasn't sure anymore:)
[/quote]

Candini,

Thanks for your posting and your friendship! Let me talk about your questions.

I don't think I would go with bright yellow. That would stick out way too much. Cutting up envelopes wuold work, but you really want card stock. What you can use are manilla folders cut up! You can buy a huge box of these and get a large supply of cards from just a half hour or so with your paper cutter.

I "buldge" open the first envelope by squeezing the sides. That makes it real easy to reach in and get the card. After that I just take my time as I walk back to the stage and use my thumb and fingers to open the envelope. It is actually easier to do in a real show because usually the audience is much bigger than the L&L audience and there is more room to do the "work." You mentioned, Candini, that I did this fast, but you don't have to rush. Constantly talking to the audience and making jokes makes it real easy to cover this move. When you compare what you have to do in this routine compared to, say, an ambitious card routine, there is really not much work at all!

As to not seeing me do it, I do it with my back turned! I know that doesn't sound too clever, but if you have to walk back to the stage anyways, why not do it then?

Thanks again so much!

Richard
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 15, 2005 07:10AM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-15 01:02, Sven Rygh wrote:
This is one heck of a great thread, and must be a The Magic Café record in the keeping to the topic (almost) all the way through, and the number of posts.

All the applause here is is very well deserved, and shows how much we all appreciate Richard and his work and thinking.

Sven

[/quote]

Sven,

I should point out that Sven and I met earlier this year in England and I sent him the very first Final Answer I made. (after my own of course!) I know he has used it numerous times and can attest to how practical it is.

Now I will make my good friend blush! You should know that Sven is a very important businessman who owns a chain of restaurants. Although that is his profession he presents quite a few performances on a very high corporate level in Europe. I am pleased and honored that he uses a number of my effects.

Thank you my good friend! :)

Richard
Thanks Richard for taking the time to answer my questions. Modern Mindreader hit me real hard and I'll probably watch it at least 10 more times before and after my first performance.

I believe you said its easy, its hard etc etc during the explanations:) All of the above.
Gentlemen;

I can nothing but confirm what Richard mentioned about the Final Answer.
I have been using it for months, and can tell you that this really [i]is [/i]the Final Answer to Q&A routines!
I have, as Richard mentions used it numerous times, and really love it.
The props are as innocent as they can get, and the routine is tecniqually very easy to do.
That fact gives you all the options in the world to focus on what Q&A is all about, - cold reading and presentation.
The routine is in my opinion everything that the add says, and some more, - and NOTE: Please check up the additional ideas for it that Richard recently put up on his blog.
Those ideas are brilliant, and add pure gold to the already great routine.

[quote]
On 2005-11-15 08:10, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Now I will make my good friend blush!
[/quote]
Richard;
You really made me do that!! :)
I try, both within the magic fraterny and elsewhere in my life, to keep a low profile about my daytime job and what kind of audiences I have.
Honestly, that is not [i]that[/i]important.
What's [i]really[/i]important, is how we as human beeings interact and communicate, the interest and love for the wonderful art of magic we all have in common, and that we [i]perform[/i],
- As pros or amateurs, for large audiences, - or small.
In my opinion, that's the only way to keep this art form alive!

Thank you for your very kind words!

Your friend

Sven

PS:
To those of you that [i]not[/i] have met Richard and wonder if he really [i]is [/i]as outgoing, kind and friendly in real life as it shows in his videos and in this forum;
He IS!
-and some more.
I tell you I can't stop laughing every time I watch "Frank" the old timer on Volume 5 The Modern Mindreader. Richard, this is so funny! The look on his face when you mentioned the single girls to him:)
Frank seems to be a real enthusiast! :)
I missed John, though!

Sven
Right Sven, I just wanted to post the same. I also wanted to ask where John was. I also missed his enthusiastic reactions from the first MM series.

Maybe Richard can give us a clue why John was taking part at this. Maybe he was too enthusiastic ;-))

Regarding Frank I agree with Candindi. But the reactions of all were fantastic. Especially at the matchbook prediction. I really enjoyed the non verbal game Richard played with the audience and the reactions even before they looked in the matchbook.

Great. So this DVD series not only teaches good mentalism but also is of highest entertainment value.

Greetings
Thomas
Thomas/Sven,

Yeah it is entertaining. And I believe there are some in the audience who are in the back where we can't see them.

Everyone misses Jon....good ol Lake Tahoe, I spent my honeymoon there. Mark Twain called it "The fairest place on Earth." Bonanza filmed there also.

Back to the video, yeah it was so funny when Richard went over to the regular Frank in Modern Mindreader. And it wasn't his envelope. Calling the other Frank down, the single man with a girl friend. My side hurts from laughing.

Just the look on his face when Richard was telling him the name of his girl friend, dog etc..........::)
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 16, 2005 09:55AM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-16 03:48, Thomas Rudolfo wrote:
Right Sven, I just wanted to post the same. I also wanted to ask where John was. I also missed his enthusiastic reactions from the first MM series.

Maybe Richard can give us a clue why John was taking part at this. Maybe he was too enthusiastic ;-))

Greetings
Thomas
[/quote]

Thomas,

I really don't know where John is. I miss him, too! With all the ribbing he has gotten about his actions, I thought he was wonderful. Having someone like that to work with not only keeps you on your toes, but gives you so many wonderful opportunities for comedy. Scotty is also great. That line he came up with about the blindfold, something like "it's like having a refrigerator in front of your face!" was priceless. You know, a lot of the lines that I use that always get a laugh actually came from spectators saying things like that! (I am really not all that clever!)

Richard
Richard
Talking about lines;
(I ment to mention this a long time ago, and forgot to do so)
Your own "Do you call that a cirkle"? is IMO one of mentalim's most clever lines!
It puts the spectator in a fun and charming way in immediate defence of what she did, and is to me an amazing example of the cancellation principle.
- and of course it can be converted to other effects, and will make the spectator defend with her body and soul what she did, said, wrote or drew .
I just love it!

Sven
Richard;

You mentioned it somewhere that you consider a hypnotism video.
Any news on that?

Sven
Sven, if I remember correctly, Richard's hypnotism video was found to reveal a little too much... ;)

I'd still love to eventually see a hypnotism project from Richard.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 17, 2005 04:30PM)
Yes it did, Fred! I'm sure it would be a great seller, but we have to maintain the L&L code of decency!

I might think about doing another one, however. I think it would be great to really have such an instructional hypnotism available.

Richard
Richard,

Do you know where the 4mm listo lead in color white can be obtained?

Thanks

Candini
[url=http://www.artstuff.net/listo_all_surface_marking_pencils.htm]Here's[/url] one place.
[quote]
On 2005-11-17 17:30, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Yes it did, Fred! I'm sure it would be a great seller, but we have to maintain the L&L code of decency!
[/quote]

Instead of L&L, perhaps it could be released by T&A. :)
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 18, 2005 05:08PM)
[quote]
On 2005-11-18 16:56, jimtron wrote:
[url=http://www.artstuff.net/listo_all_surface_marking_pencils.htm]Here's[/url] one place.
[/quote]

Thanks for finding that! I got mine in a rather older (than Staples or Office Max) office supply store.

Richard
That was fast, thanks!
Glad to help.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Nov 19, 2005 09:20AM)
Gentlemen,

Since so many of your have asked, "Digital Feedback" is back in stock on our website. I wanted to mention it here as there is a slight differenece in the new unit. The manufacturers have changed the design of the case. Instead of a sliding panel to open and close it, the new ones have a door, just like a lot of other calculators. I changed the routine to accomondate this. After using this design and routine in my shows for a few months, the book was re-written with the new handling.

Thanks,
Richard
My birthday present came in a couple of days ago, and so I haven't been posting while I viewed (and re-watched) these birthday DVDs and studied (and re-studied) "the Final Answer" manuscript. My first thought was "What a remarkable bargain!" (Actually, that was my second thought. My first thought was to significantly thank wife Cherie for these wonderful presents!) My second thought was "Oh no! He 'gave away' StenoESP!" But I have more thoughts on that.

Things I learned from Mind Mysteries Too:

Never, never ignore the classics of magic & mentalism. Even the ones which might be considered "minor." And there's always something one can learn about those classics. F'r instance: I've been getting teriffic response using a certain move with the No 2 Pencil routine, but I learned a significant improvement which will make my routine absolutely impossible to believe.

Did I mention that I was saddened that StenoESP is out there on video, where even people who won't read can learn it? My alarm was tempered by the opportunity to see StenoESP performed by its creator/master. Yes, I learned something to improve my performance of this effect. And - HA! - those who don't read will miss out on further touches which are in the booklet which included StenoESP! (Strangely enough, that routine was included as a "giveaway" bonus originally. Did Richard not realize, at the time, just how powerful a routine this could be?)

What else did I learn from Mind Mysteries Too?

Something which I'd suspected from my decades as a magic fan (but not performer) - and that's that our audiences don't always distinguish between magic and mentalism. With proper performance, they each look equally impossible and mysterious - while Richard shows that one can be, at once, mysterious, humourous, and quite human. Striking those balances, blurring the lines between magic, mentalism, and everyday, can create an even more intense level of astonishment and rememberance for one's audiences.

That's a lot to learn from a DVD set.

Oh yeah -- learned some new tricks too. (Can I say "tricks" here?) But it's become evident that "the secrets" are not the *real* secrets of magic and mentalism. The real secrets of magic & mentalism are right here on these DVDs, though.

And they're darned entertaining, to boot!

*jeep!
--Chet
Great post, Chet!

- and a thing he [i]did not[/i] give away, is The Miracle Thought Projection.
I wondered/worried about a bit if he would do so in connection with Dad's Favorite/My father's favorite, when I first saw that effect included in the add.

You are right, this is an amazing gold mine of knowledge!

Sven
Just picked these up and watched through them. I can honestly say that they make one of my best purchases. My favourites effects are Inside Out, Final Answer, CL Deluxe and Haunted Key. I really recommend taking his advice believe in your powers to the point that there IS NO method.

Osterlind truly is a madman for attempting projects as vast as ETMMM and MMToo within the space of 2 days. The relief on his face at the end is like that of cinema-goers coming out of the third Lord of the Rings film - 'It's taken hours and hours, been one hell of a ride, but thank God it's over!'

We can all learn from Osterlind's professionalism and generosity.

Scott Johnstone.
I agree...these are fantastic videos by Richard Osterlind. I love the spoon and multiple fork bends on vol. 5. You can't go wrong with these.

Richard
Can't wait to get my hands on these. I love Steno ESP and am very excited to finally be able to see it performed! I just posted this in another thread but I find both books and videos to be equally invaluable learning resources. A lot of people say that books are the only way to go. While I love books, there's nothing like seeing a pro like Richard perform his fantasic effects. In person would be better, of course. But this is one of the main reasons why dvds are so important to our art.
[quote]
On 2005-11-16 15:46, Sven Rygh wrote:
Richard
Talking about lines;
(I ment to mention this a long time ago, and forgot to do so)
Your own "Do you call that a cirkle"? is IMO one of mentalim's most clever lines!
It puts the spectator in a fun and charming way in immediate defence of what she did, and is to me an amazing example of the cancellation principle.
- and of course it can be converted to other effects, and will make the spectator defend with her body and soul what she did, said, wrote or drew .
I just love it!

Sven
[/quote]

I am in total agreement, Sven. I knew what was going on as I use a variation all the time but when I heard that line I just about died laughing. It was great! Any heat is completely lost and... I don't even know what to say except read Sven's quote again.

-Carlos
I had a small show last night for a few friends (about fifteen people). A few of these people did see me do magic before, so of course they suspected some tricks.

At the end, most of them came to me and said how much fun they had. And one came and told me that on the mind reading effect (PCT) he didn't see me read but "one can see it" and fished for some explanations on the drawing dupe (ODDS) and eventualy gave me this advice: "you should do more manipulation. I enjoy that, as well as rope tricks". Chances are I'm going to follow this advice (1% is still a chance).

Sincerely, Matt
Personally though, my own thoughts regarding Richard Osterlind, and specifically his last Mind Mystery DVD’s is that the guy and all his material is awesome. Seriously I would never be able to say enough good things about him. Simply put he is my favourite performer, and of all the sets of DVD’s I have, his are my favourite (although you have to say that the Banachek’s, Max Maven’s and believe it or not, the Marc Spelmann’s are right up there).

Of all the DVD’s I have, I perform more of Osterlind’s material (tuned to my own style, naturally) than anyone else’s (Apart from my own of course). The material Richard Osterlind puts out is pure gold, and it is as much a joy to watch his performances as it is to learn the secrets.

But will I perform everything on all the DVD’s? No. Of course I won’t. Much of it isn’t for me. Much of it doesn’t fit with my style, and bits of it I plain don’t like, but that certainly doesn’t mean that I don’t still love the DVD’s and will watch them time and time again, because I feel there is so much to learn from this man, Richard Osterlind, and the bits on the DVD’s that I do like. I like a lot.

And Richard Osterlind, when you next come to England, Please, Please, Please will you come and lecture for the Ipswich Magical Society?
As with any DVD'S or Books,we are all bound to usually find things we like and things we don't like..things we can use,and things we can't use.
Personally,with my purchases;if I can glean 1 or 2 thing's of use to me,I am satisfied.Those 1 or 2 thing's may be of no use or liking to somebody else.It is a very personal decision.We can't like or have a need for everything that is puplished.
That said,I thank Mr. Osterlind for sharing his works and ideas.Merry Christmas and Peace on Earth.

Rich
Richard has been on the road this weekend but has been kept up to date on the progression of this particular thread. He's asked me to mention that he is arriving home this afternoon and plans on making some very specific comments about some of these postings (and posters) when he does.

Jim Sisti
From time to time I have shown close friends material on Mr Osterlinds DVD's that I do not use, such as the Glass of water production, yet have not shown then the BCS or Bank Night which I do use.

The public couldn't care less if what mentalists think of other mentalists, when I walk out to perform no one ever asks me what I thouht of the latest mentalism releases.

I have created one of my nost favourite and killer rountenes with a great back story from MR Osterlinds BCS and other effects, these are that effects I used, his rapport with the audience is to be modeled.

H.W
All this material really sounds interesting. I'm really not into mentalism, but am looking forward to reviewing this new set of DVDs...stay tuned! :)