(Close Window)
Topic: Cool Box for close up
Thought you guys might want to this check out. Hallmark is having a promotion. If you buy three greeting cards (any old kind) you can buy a box that looks simalar to Book of Spells. It looks like an ancient spell book, but is titled "Spells, Potions and Cteepy Concoctions. It's designed to put candy in, but it makes a great box for your close up. Pretty good size too. About 13" x 10" x 4". I bought two. BTW they're $9.99 each.
Yes it does have that "bizarre" appeal. Many possible uses for the "mystery entertainer". Check it out at http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&partNumber=HG_PR_SPELLBOOK&CatIDsList=18052;18053&tabOn=stores

:bat:

:devilish:

;)
Thanks for the tip...it looks cool
Yes, thanks. I just had to get one.
Sweeeeet! Thanks for the heads up!
Is it available in the UK?
Hiya, Bill:

My wife brought one of these home last week and it's really incredible. She will not, however, let me rig the hallway table and new 'book' as a "Living Hand" illusion for Halloween! ;)
I saw this in the Sunday paper, in an ad.
Somehow I forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder.
I'll probably rip out the talking chip though and use it elsewhere.. or try to figure out how to rerecord my own material on it - normally it's just a matter of finding which pins to short or connect to a mic.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 18, 2005 12:02PM)
Thanks. :)
I just got one of these and have to say that Leland is not exaggerating. It is awesome ! It's big and beautiful. Very well made. Hard to believe it is priced so low. Just go in and buy 3 Hallmark cards (even for $0.99 each). And $9.99 for the box. I'll have to get another.
Argh! its not cool, its from sappy, sobby, sweet, nice, cute, cuddly HALLMARK!

:)
Gede:

C'mon! You never saw the "Talking Tina" episode of Twilight Zone? Even "sweet, nice, cute" things from Hallmark may hold dark, scary, unpleasant secrets!
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 18, 2005 09:08PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-18 20:22, Gede Nibo wrote:
Argh! its not cool, its from sappy, sobby, sweet, nice, cute, cuddly HALLMARK![/quote]

How better to hide a dark spell than in a Hallmark card?

How better to hide true evils than within Hallmark box?

Why yes it is, cute huh? ;)
No one Has to know that it is a Hallmark. It would make all the difference to what you put in it, and how it is presented.
Baba, I have no doubt that you could come up with many great ideas once you see this.
I'm sure that "Vo DU Ma gick- the Book" would be able to use a prop like this. Once you see it, you will change your mind. It really isn't "cute, sweet, sappy or cuddly", unless you just put candy in it. :devilish:

"It is our nature to fear a dark purpose in that which we do not understand. But true evil may lay more in ignorance, than in suspicion." from The Outer Limits

;)
I got mine tonight ! It's pretty cool, right down my alley !
Even more interesting is the nature of that sound byte box that's in it.
At first, I figured it was a pressure switch, but closer examination revealed the cover doesn't even have to close all the way to reset the box.
Next, I figured, it must be photo-optic, so I took it in my bathroom with the lights out (at night), closed the bathroom door, and opened the book expecting to hear nothing.
But I did ! I tried it again - photo-optics was not the answer.
So what then triggered this thing ? Could it be [i]magnetic [/i]?
I opened the book and held a Bat up to it.. you know, [i] that [/i] kind of Bat ;)
Sure enough, the sound cut off instantly. I moved the Bat away and back and the sound retriggered. Cool !
This thing is triggered by a magnetic field ! There must be a magnet hidden in the front cover, in the top right corner.
Think about the implications of THAT guys ! Maybe a little PK ?
I also want to rip the sound box out and see if I can't figure out how to reprogram it.
Usually it's a matter of shorting two pins on the chip together with a jumper wire, and hooking up a microphone.. the hard part is figuring out which pins go to what.
If that works, I'll have a recorder/player that's magnetically triggered, one that can record anything I want, or a series of anything I want, within the time limit of course.
"Sounds" promising to me... even if just for a Halloween prop of some kind.
Two for the price of .. one half ! w00t
Keep us posted, Mystician, please! I think I will experiment with mine a bit, too. One simple idea might be a spirit bell effect using the little sound box, assuming it is possible to record on top of the existing sound. This thing has a lot of possibilities!
[quote]
On 2005-10-18 22:08, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

How better to hide a dark spell than in a Hallmark card?

How better to hide true evils than within Hallmark box?
[/quote]
That's why I keep all my props in a Hello Kitty box.

(Okay, I don't really, but I have certainly been tempted.)

Best,
Neil
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 19, 2005 11:38AM)
Hello Kitty brings its own brand of sinister. Try changing the eyes from round to more catlike. ;)

http://www.sanriotown.com/onlinegame/index.php?s=world

Spookey places, especially if you are wearing your mouse ears.
Ha I just stumbled across some genre of Goth that uses ummm...modified Hello Kitty logos. Imagine the "B" movie type fun you could have with a possessed Hello Kitty!
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 19, 2005 04:14PM)
Clifford, can we get a link to see what those Goth folks are up to?
I got my box today and guess what??>!!!?!?

Now they are just selling the box for $9.95. You don't even need to buy three cards.

I bought one though as it is my wifes birthday today. Imagine if I didn't, the gods would reign down with mighty vengence.

S. Patrick
Wow do they ship to APO?
I think I could use that for "Murder by Mail"
I don't' know about that, the box doesn't lock or seal.
You don't want the subject to look in the box at all.
I think it would distract from the main concept, in this case.

You could make a big-arse flaming book out of it though. You'd need to keep a fire extinguisher on you !
[quote]
On 2005-10-19 19:48, spatrick wrote:
I got my box today and guess what??>!!!?!?

Now they are just selling the box for $9.95. You don't even need to buy three cards.

I bought one though as it is my wifes birthday today. Imagine if I didn't, the gods would reign down with mighty vengence.

S. Patrick

[/quote]

They're still asking for the purchase of the three cards in Western Mass. Oh well, no big deal. :bat:
[quote]
On 2005-10-19 17:14, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Clifford, can we get a link to see what those Goth folks are up to?
[/quote]

I think this is what you're looking for, Jonathan --
http://www.hottopic.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&ITEM=220463

Best,
Neil
An ad on that page says they're taking 10% off all Halloween costumes..

How can you tell the difference ?
:bwink:
The model in the ad doesn't look anywhere near as frightening as the "Hot Topic" employees appear year round.
Barnes and Noble is selling a wooden case poker set. It is very similar to the Hallmark book but wood with a bicyle card insignia on the front.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=rf152bCCmH&isbn=0641617771&itm=19
One of the local music shops is stocking Coffin Case guitar cases and microphone cases. The microphone one is perfectly sized for close-up and lined with cushy blood red velvet. Musicians Friend also carries them on their website: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/544070?src=3WBZ4DS

Sammy the Kid
Oh ok I liked that. Does anyone know if they have the Hellraiser typr boxes out there. But that will lock?
I always loved that box. But just to piggy back I did like the coffins.
Alright fellas, just promise Baba you wont take this prop out to the public domain UNTIL THEY forget where they came from... ;)
I've debated getting one of the coffin guitar cases for a few years now.. just as soon as I buy an elongated pentagram shaped guitar !
(I'm sure somebody will provide a link to one)
Our local Hallmark is sold out of the boxes already, good thing I got mine when I did.
Now my 4 yr old wants one ! lol
Chip off the ol' briquette ..
Nothing says "insta-goth" like the merchandise at Hot Topic.

The box looks pretty cool. I like how the ad calls it a one-of-a-kind. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one-of-a-kind mean that the box is the only one of its kind?

Must be that new math.
The hallmark box seems to be sold out in my area of Canada. The local store said they couldn't even order more.

Cheers - El Lamo