(Close Window)
Topic: rubber bands
I am interested in rubber band magic and was wondering what book/movie i should get.
please help...
First of all let me say welcome and good to see you posting so soon after joining the Café, coz thats what its about asking the questions.
In answer to your question and in my opinion the best way to learn effects are videos/dvds.I found it very hard with the written manuscripts but after watching it done found it all made sense.
The videos i would recommend are;

Band Shark by Dan Harland

Classic Renditions by Michael Ammar

There will be enough to keep you busy for months and features among others the famous C.M.H.
As i said earlier this is only my humble opinion others may post otherwise here
regards Trevor :handcuffs:
thank you for your help, I will look for those right away
Mr. Monkey,

After getting the videos/DVDs check out the cheap pamphlet "slydini's rubberband mystery" by Bluestone.

It basically takes the CMH routine, adds a few touches, and DEEPLY goes into the misdirection to pull off the routine and truely make it magical to your specatators instead of just a "TRICK" you pulled on them.

You can apply the lessons learned in that little cheap pamphlet to all the magic you do and your magishing will improve dramatically.

just a tip.

frank
Frank I never seen this phamplet by Slydini is there any way you can send it to me to look at. or where ica purchase this pamplet
vinny
I'd be interested in the Slydini pamphlet too if anyone has a source for it.

Quinn
This is good stuff. But i reccomend Ebony & Irovy. Best Rubber band trick i have ever seen. It is a gimmick but o well can't win them all. :kewl: :firedevil:
Pytro I heard ebony and ivory is a wonderful trick,,,, but like you said its gimmicked
Chris kenner has a linking rubber band effect called missing link it s by far the best out there and is very visual. and the bands can be handed out .and theres no gimmick
check it out vinny
A great source for rubber band magic is the Encyclopedia of Rubber Band Magic, Elastrix, that has two volumes, volume I written by Ed Mishell and Abe Horwitz and volume II by Stephen Minch. Particulary, rubber band magic, is difficult to learn from books but the material contained here is worth the effort.

Albi
Bernard Sim also has a linking rubber band trick called Really Linked available from Bernard and from a book by Scott F Guinn.
Must disagree with Alby about Elastrix. I bought vol 1 recently and was very disappointed. It's mainly filled with elementary puzzles and childish stunts. Its description of the unlinking bands (often known by Ammar's name of Crazy Man's handcuffs) is shockingly bad.

I have recently started performing "CMH" after picking it up and putting it down and practising more for 2-3 years. It took me that long to get comfortable with it enough for performance. If anything is worth the wait and the practice, this is it. It STUNS people! The description in The Magic Of Michael Ammar is perfect. I believe he has released it also as a "classic rendition".

i hesitate to recommend it so heartily as the fewer people doing it the better, IMO, but hey - it's that good!
I agree with Ross about Elastrix 1 which is pretty amateurish. However, Elastrix 2 which describes the creations of Joe Rindfleisch (who sometimes contributes to this forum) is much better both in content and instructional quality. Also all three volumes of 'Magic with rubber bands' by Dan Harlan are terrific videos in addition to his Band Shark. How does he find enough rubber band material to fill 4 videos?
Bill :bigdance:
The three-volume Harlan set is very good; I agree with the earlier assessment of Elastrix, Vol. 1. I have Vol. 2 on order, so I can't speak to it. Some other sources to consider:

- Michael Weber's "Lifesavers" includes a version of Chris Kenner's "Missing Link"
- Chris Kenner's book "Out of Control/Totally Out of Control" contains his version of "Missing Link"
- Jeff Pierce has a manuscript in PDF format that is a very good linking ring to rubber band trick (plus, it was really cheap)

If I had one choice, I'd go with the Harlan series on DVD (DVD is much easier to navigate through that VHS).

Good luck, Stone Monkey!

Mark
I have to agree with the Harlan series recommendation. Dan pretty well covers anything you might want to do with a rubberband in his series. I would agree with the DVD recommendation. I have a 'ton' of tapes and only a couple of DVD's at this time, but I can tell you that searching on the DVD is 100 times better than the forward/reverse routine on the tapes.

DonB
After watching Harlan do the Professor's Nitemare with rubberbands, I have to conclude something "snapped" in his head! Get the Harlan band shark tapes. They will keep you busy for months. :giggles:
Following up on my earlier post...

I received Elastrix, Vol. 2, and it is great! Very solid material, and a bargain at $15.

Good luck -

Mark
I must say that elastrix is a very good and cheap.
Florian R
I saw a copy of Bluestone's Rubberband Mystery pamphlet at "Mostly Magic" in Santa Rosa,CA this weekend if anyone wants to call them and buy it.

Frank
Get any of Dan Harlan's rubber band magic. Everything you wanted to know on rubberbands is there.
not every thing ,, Yes I agree Dan is the king of rubber band magic .but he dosen't have a linking rubberband that is compariable to Chris Kenners missing Link.
his linking rubberbands is one of the most visual effects ,and theres no gimmicks
it is in his book "Out of Control"
vinny
Stone,

Dan Harlan is the best with rubberbands. He has a 3 volume DVD/Video set. You can find at http://www.LLPUB.COM
Dan Harlan teaches Kenners Missing Link on one of his 3 videos. It's the best. :bg:
Kenners Missing Link is on [url=http://www.llpub.com/cgi-bin/presto.cgi?product=v2049&category=&detail=yes&search=yes]Dan Harlans Magic with Rubber Bands, Vol 2[/url]
Thanks Kaliix I wll have to check out Dans video vol 2

I have his vol 1 video and his band sharks both videos are great
vinny
hi Frank Starsini
, i was wondering if you couls send me a copy of Slydini's rubberband mystery" by Bluestone or info on where to obtain this?

any help greatly appreciated, and merry x-mas to you all!

Paul
I just studied Kenner's Missing Link (I guess it's called) from OOC/TOOC book and it is fantastic. I previously read webber's version but could not understand what the heck he was talking about so I put it down.

Kenner's is very well explained and I was able to get 2 bands to link without too much effort. Now, getting it down to where I can actually do the setup in front of spectators, that seems like the real magic.

Right now it takes me about 3 or 4 seconds to get the bands to link. Even if I could do it in 2 seconds or so, I'm afraid the spectators are going to wonder what it is I'm doing before they should.

Does anyone have success with this very magical looking effect?

Frank
Hi stone_monkey

I think rubberbands are great for beginner.
Have a look at the end of this subject:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=17333&forum=41

You can find there some sources and ideas about rubberband magic

Hope this helps :crazydude:

Magic Chris