(Close Window)
Topic: Recap/Son of Recap
Hi all,

I like most of the Son of Recap routine that is performed on the Cultural Exchange 2 DVD by Apollo Robbins. I've also read the original routine in Art of Astonishment. I have a problem in attempting to perform this routine and that is due to the fact that I wear glasses. This causes problems when the ear comes into play - I cannot reliably place the pen there without spending too much time fiddling.

Does anyone else have this problem, or an alternative solution to the problem?

Cheers,

Beetroot
I learned this effect from different sources. Greg Wilson's tapes Off the Cuff and On the Spot.

I wear glasses, and have never had any trouble with the ear moves. Are you using a standard bic pen or something different?

I'll go through the routine a few times and see if I can't figure out any tips for you.

Kevin
The cap?
Put it IN your ear. Easier for me.
Standard bic pen. Where ever I put it it is more of a balance than anything else, so if I tilt my head, down the pen goes.

No problems with the part where the lid goes in my ear (except that my wife thinks I've got very big ear holes so I have to be careful not to stick it in too far!).

Beetroot
I found that when I had my sides of my hair a little bit longer it worked great, but then I got a hair cut and had to readjust.

Don't know if that plays a part for you.

One option is to skip the ear, but bring your bic pen down before your ear at a 45ish degree angle, sticking it between the ear piece and your temple area. Your ear and ear piece will keep the pen from dropping I think. At least when I tried it with my glasses it worked.

John
I perform Recap constantly, and I wear glasses. Occasionally, not often, the pen will fall off my ear when I go for the fake cap vanish. When that happens, I pick it up, put it up there and say "Yeah, it was up here." Then I turn to talk about how the pen's weight can throw you off, and do the secret move (you know what I'm talking about).

Sure, it's not as powerful when it falls, but you can get past it so their set up for the impossible vanish of the cap. Then they forget all about the pen dropping from BEHIND your ear, to find the cap IN your ear!
I saw Greg Wilson do a lecture where he performed putting the cap in the ear (Q-tip style). His reasoning was two-fold: it holds more securely, and it is funnier, thus providing more misdirection. I guess it all depends on your presentation, though.
Aaron
Can you slip the pen between your glasses and your face on the up-stroke?
[quote]
On 2005-11-07 15:07, Frank Starsini wrote:
Can you slip the pen between your glasses and your face on the up-stroke?
[/quote]

It can be done but it's dicey. I almost poked my eye out playing with that.
Perhaps your shirt collar then, a la, kelbow kneck and knee?
Something else to try is placing a little loop of double sided tape behind your ear or wind it around the part of your eyeglasses just in front of where they go behind the ear. That little extra stickyness might help. Nobody should notice the tape.
Is it any better if you substitute a pen that has a "grippier" surface? There are other pens you can do hte routin with that might hold better. I've got one on my desk that is a bic "soft feel" pen and the barrel seems like it might work better. Less common to borrow though.

I had my eyes fixed 5 years ago, so no glasses right now, but I used to stick a pen betw. glasses and head.

As for the cap, in the ear like a q-tip is the way to go, but if it's a borrowed pen, they don't want it back.
I recently started wearing glasses and had the same problem. I wear a ballcap a lot so just started sliding the pen up into the hat at the side of my head. Give it a try.
"set" your glasses off your ear right before starting the routine, you can set it back as you retrieve the pen....

Or set your glasses up higher on your head a bit so your ear is open to recieve pen

I prefer setting them up a little higher or just taking them off(thank god I have a weak prescription).

That or just practice and find out what works for you.
I've had this problem right away.

What I found works for me is to grab the pen not at the end but closer to the middle while performing the motion, and then to be very decisive about putting the pen in place, and pressing it down. I think this helps ensure that the pen is better balanced, and pressed further down.

John
Interestingly, I have a problem hiding the cap and pen. I have a somewhat small, slim head, and because of the distance of my ear to the front edge of my face, I flash constantly if I perform it as Apollo. I am forced to turn my body nearly al the way to the right when performing, which makes things a bit fishy. The cap sticking out of my ear is very visible even if I cock my head to the left. Otherwise, Son of Recap is a beatiful piece of work when executing with grace!

Any other 'pea-brains' out there with a similar issue?
It doesn't need to be 'rushed' as long as it is done smooth and I DO do the count when I get to this part of the routine; I can count off as long as I need to to get the misdirection I want (1... 2 ... 2 and a half, 2 and 3/4 etc,) its a little corny but it plays into the presentation I've got for it.

I wear glasses and it used to bother me too -- just keep doing it and it gets better.
I wear glasses and have never found a problem with this. I hold the pen at the end, rather like a magic wand. I spent a good few hours just playing with this move, though, so that may have something to do with it. I have a friend that has really curly hair and he simply sticks the pen in his hair instead of behind his ear - that works for him, too.

What about contacts if you're really struggling?