(Close Window)
Topic: Splicing Rope
Does anyone know how to splice two pieces of rope together? I have a routine that I want to do with four different colors of rope and they all have to be joined end for end. In other words, I want to make a long piece of rope that starts off say red and the next color is blue and then green and finally yellow.
I remember learning how to splice rope in the Pioneering merit badge at Boy Scout camp. When two ropes are spliced, they get kind of lumpy (take a look at spliced nylon rope used for boating). Splicing will also make an odd faded transition between colors.

A way you could get around the lumpiness of splicing is by sewing the different pieces together. Use thread to sew the butted ends together then wrap the joint with tape. They sell many different colors of electrical tape - you could match the color of tape to the color of rope. Sewing will give strength to the joint while the tape visually cleans up the joint.

Or... a better method would be to dye plain white cotton rope. Mix up the dye in boiling water and dip the ends in. To dye the center sections carefully dip the centers into the different colors of water. Hope this helps.
-MATT KAP
This looks like a job for Pavel
Al
Splicing does leave a thick spot. Plain ole paint is what a lot of magicians use.

The shrink tubing used on electrical wiring and refrigeration might work over rope for you. There is also a dip used for tool handles that you could paint on in various colors.

Scheme and let us know what works.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Actualy there is the long splice, but that probably wont give the effect you are after. Likewise splicing is realy hard to do on cord, which I assume is what you realy want. Rope has a spiral lay, cord is braided.
Dye Dye Dye Dye.
However Stuart seems rather pationate about dying it, might want to check that out.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 15, 2006 11:21PM)
You don't think that was a misspelled death threat?
Given how I spelled passionate, could be, could be.
After you dye the colors try painting the dye onto the area where the middle color meets the next color. May take a few times to even up, but should fill in the white spots. Also use the lighter colors for the middle. As the strongest change comes from a dark color to a light and you wan the line it creates to be crisp.