(Close Window)
Topic: Warning: Re: Criss Angel's Quarter Thru Soda Can
Just performed this in public tonight (for my second time).

The spectator gave me a Diet Rite Pure Zero can. (This is their new zero-calorie Splenda-sweetened diet soda). I was initially thrilled (if you look at the can and know the routine, you'll see why).

Guess what?

You cannot do the effect with this can.

I haven't tried any of the other RC-brand drinks -- as this just happened to me earlier this evening.

I did my best to pull off the effect, and I don't think anybody was the wiser, but it was necessarily a much weaker ending.

I love this effect -- as far as I'm concerned, it's the best impromptu effect to come along in ages -- but I was certainly caught short by this. Beware the RC.

--Josh
Thanks Josh for the heads-up.

Still practicing in private, but agree that its one of the most impactful effects I've seen in years (and the method is ingenous!)
What's the difficulty with the can?
Mattisdx,

I'm not sure I can explain any more without tipping part of the method...

--Josh
Actually, let me try to say what I need to say as circumspectly as possible.

If you succeeded in performing the effect with the aforementioned brand of can, Pete Biro's suggested kicker ending would be an absolute necessity.

--Josh
[quote]
On 2005-11-18 22:17, Josho wrote:

If you succeeded in performing the effect with the aforementioned brand of can, Pete Biro's suggested kicker ending would be an absolute necessity.

--Josh
[/quote]

I think I know what it is that you mean. I have see the same with diet 7-up cans here and in the military a lot of the Redbull or monster cans. I mean its doable but if you want to be a perfectionist. You would not want to give the can away. Becuase there is a little dirt on the can that might make people think.
Just to ask, where is the best place to buy this effect from?
Hank Lee or Hocus Pocus
[quote]
On 2005-11-19 01:55, paisa23 wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-11-18 22:17, Josho wrote:

--Josh
[/quote]

I think I know what it is that you mean. I have see the same with diet 7-up cans here and in the military a lot of the Redbull or monster cans. I mean its doable but if you want to be a perfectionist. You would not want to give the can away. Becuase there is a little dirt on the can that might make people think.
[/quote]

Exactly. Much of the beauty of the effect is in giving the can back at the end and letting the spectator remove the coin (or not) and examine everything. This would not be possible with the RC cans or the ones you're talking about. I'll have to play with a 7-Up can and see what the scoop is!

--Josh
For anyone in the UK we now have this effect in stock.

Regards

Peter
http://www.alakazam.co.uk
Has anyone who pre-ordered from the Criss Angel Website actually received this yet? I'm still waiting - although I am in the UK which may explain it?
Uk probably takes a little longer to arrive, but you should see it be monday the 21.
[quote]
On 2005-11-19 09:11, Martino wrote:
Has anyone who pre-ordered from the Criss Angel Website actually received this yet? I'm still waiting - although I am in the UK which may explain it?
[/quote]

I ordered mine August 5th and I just got mine last night. Haven't looked at it yet though.

Skarn
I also ordered through Criss's site and recieved mine already.
I ordered mine in July from Criss's site and have still not gotten it yet -- and I am in the US.....grrr!

Was everyone's signed by Criss who preordered from his site like they advertised?
Did you guys pay extra for the signature? I hope not I don't think that its big deal. But best of luck for those who have not gotten it yet.
Mine was signed and no I didn't pay extra.

Skarn
[quote]
On 2005-11-18 20:37, Josho wrote:
Just performed this in public tonight (for my second time).

The spectator gave me a Diet Rite Pure Zero can. (This is their new zero-calorie Splenda-sweetened diet soda). I was initially thrilled (if you look at the can and know the routine, you'll see why).

Guess what?

You cannot do the effect with this can.

I haven't tried any of the other RC-brand drinks -- as this just happened to me earlier this evening.

I did my best to pull off the effect, and I don't think anybody was the wiser, but it was necessarily a much weaker ending.

I love this effect -- as far as I'm concerned, it's the best impromptu effect to come along in ages -- but I was certainly caught short by this. Beware the RC.

--Josh
[/quote]

In the UK, watch out for Pepsi Max cans..... it's the first part of the trick that MAY cause a problem if you've been practising on Coke cans.....
Josho, I have been practicing with nothing but diet rite soda cans. This trick is easily done with them. I have yet to do a performance for a person even though I can do the routine. I have decided to practice it for one month before performing it for anyone. PS thank you for you descrecion as far as exposure goes, Im sure we all appreciate it.
Mark,

I'm going to PM you. I don't find a way to do the effect with Diet Rite (unless "regular" Diet Rite cans are different from "Diet Rite Zero" cans) without encountering two very specific issues. I'll be very interested to hear your solutions!

--Josh
Josho, Mark Either one of you can PM me as well I will show proof of purchase but my aboe post should prove it. either way I would also like to hear this.. Still find it hard on Diet 7-up and its not the final step. its the scrutiny it can recieve for someone who goes home with it..
Paisa,

I PM'd Mark and when I get his reply, I'll pass it along to you.

As I see the issue with the RC can, yes, there's definitely a problem with the can being examined at home. But I think there's also a few problems with executing Step 5. One is talking (especially given the milled edges of a quarter). Another is time and effort involved in doing the step being very much out of proportion with the time and effort involved in performing the action normally (if there were no skullduggery involved). Another is the hand position required to overcome the obstacle being unnatural.

--Josh
I thought The Effect Is Impromptu any Can & a borrowed Quarter ?????
The effect is definitely impromptu -- a borrowed quarter and a borrowed soda or beer can. The concern is that there are some cans out there for which the effect is less suitable (or not at all suitable). As there are many, many brands and designs of cans out there, and the creators of the effect could not possibly test the effect on EVERY can, there are some that may require a slightly different approach -- or that should be avoided.

--Josh
The best place to buy this is at http://www.mjmmagic.com
[quote]
On 2005-11-20 02:00, tophatter wrote:
I thought The Effect Is Impromptu any Can & a borrowed Quarter ?????
[/quote]

It is brother. Do me a favor name some of the cans that you may run into? Ill try to tell you if they are a go or not. Now again the ones that we have stated are doable I just wouldnt feel comfortable giving it away as a souvenir.
Good thread. I like the input that people who have this effect contribute. good vs. bad angle/cans/any other thing.

thanks guys/gals
Here in Canada a lot of the store-brand or no-name sodas are manufactured by Cott. I've discovered that they can't be used for this routine at all.
I've recently learned there is another can that since the DVD has been cut must have changed it's design. The reason I say this is because it's the one beer can that is recommended in the DVD! You cannot do this effect using the taught method with this type of beer can. If you have the DVD and look at the type of can recommended, you'll see what I mean.

Skarn
I've used both the "round top" and the "square top" cans, and in comparison it really takes a lot of effort to get the coin out of "square top" cans. Which I think really cements in the spectators mind the impossibility of the entire thing :)

The first time I did this I got a store bought (Safeway) soda, and after I did the effect, it took the spectators over 5 minutes just to get the coin OUT! Not because it was rattling around, but because it Wouldn't Fit through the hole! They actually had to grab and pull with all their might, and even then it took some time.

This truely is a GREAT effect that when done smoothly looks completely Amazing!
Wow there are currently 2 copies for sale in the marketplace. that's quite fast for a DVD to be resaled

Get them if anyone is interested
First let me say that I love this effect as the handling is so natural and so well thought out. This is the way all magic should be designed.

But let me warn everyone that this effect is definitely not impromptu because if you haven't experimented with the exact type of can you intend to perform with, then you can get "stuck" and I haven't found an out yet.

It has been pointed out earlier in this thread that can designs can differ greatly and even the same brand of can may differ depending on where you live. The DVD claims the Silver Bullet beer can is perfect for this effect but the two cans I've experimented with here in Colorado and New York definitely do not work for the first phase of the routine.

The main purpose of my post is to inform those who own the effect to make sure to experiment with the exact can before attempting to perform. It will not be obvious to you that the can won't work if someone simply hands you a can you haven't tried the effect with before.

Here is a small sampling of cans I've looked at using for this effect. Remember, these cans came from either Colorado or New York so your cans of the same brand may differ:

Pepsi and Diet Pepsi - May work with increased difficulty, definitely not ideal
Coors Silver Bullet - Will not work due to problem with phase 1 of the effect
Bud Light - Will not work

Mugs Root Beer - Adequate
Tropicana Lemonade - Adequate
Diet 7-Up - Adequate

Diet Coke - Ideal, the perfect can!
Barq's Root Beer - Ideal, the perfect can!

Moral of the story (post), check your cans ahead of time.

Kudos to Wayne Houchin for a great effect!

** Bill **
Diet A&W Root Beer--Won't work (phase 5)
The only thing that puzzles me about this effect is the vanish of the coin. Getting it inside is the easy part. But that vanish just looks so *** clean!
Get it.. It will blow you away. That part was the main reason why I got it.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Nov 30, 2005 04:08PM)
I have performed this impromptu miracle five different times for various spectators. Every phase of this effect (with the added convincers)lead to an improbable miracle. tincture is so right. The vanish of the coin is so clean. I often let the spectator towards the end shake the can. After a minute or so of the spectator shaking the can, I often tear the can open to show the spectator the signed coin. Of course, I didn't get the reactions of those spectators who witnessed this effect on Mindfreak. They didn't scream, jump up and down, shout F-bombs. Instead, the various spectators that I performed had mouths wide open speechless, eyes wide open, and were silent with stunned expressions and shock. To see the shocked looks while entertaining individuals with magic is what I strive for.

Wayne Houchin, if you are out there, you sir are a genius.
I have to disagree with the issue that this trick is not 100% impromptu, cause it is.
After you tried and practiced this routine with many different types of cans you will soon know what works best.
If a spectator hands you a can that you know don't work that well, you just request a different value coin.
I'm not sure which coin is "most similar" to a quarter, but here in Norway the 10.kroner and 1.kroner are similar in size, the 10.kroner being slightly smaller than the other, upon request I will first ask if anyone has a can, then ask for a coin.

-e-
Lets pause for breath, is this effect really, really, this good? Really?
Philippe,

The only way to know [b]for sure[/b] is to perform it for audiences and to judge the reactions yourself. Even an effect that has great potential can fall flat when performed by one magician and can garner a great response when performed by another magician. Personally, I think that this effect has great potential. Intellectually, I prefer another penetration effect over this one but I haven't tried this one in the real world and until I do I won't know for sure which one is better [b]for me[/b].

Larry
Alright so I gave in an ordered one. Thanks.

-Tim
No, really, its, really, no, really, really really good.
In regards to Lhotta's post, it must be where you live. I agree with him that different cans will come in different places. Here in Ohio, Pepsi cans have been fantastic to work with and what I have performed with the most. A few Mt. Dew. The Coors Light can was great but Budweiser was almost too difficult to deal with.

But here in Ohio, Pepsi cans rule.
Sound like there are only eleven magicians in the country that have not done this yet.. hmmmmmmm
[quote]
On 2005-12-03 15:37, Pete Biro wrote:
Sound like there are only eleven magicians in the country that have not done this yet.. hmmmmmmm
[/quote]

Make that twelve.
I never did get around to ordering it!
The thing to remember is to practice on the cans before hand. I practice with many different brands of soda pop cans, and then I know which ones to stay clear and which ones are swsome. All together though, it should work with every can. I love this trick! -DP
Diet Coke and diet Sprite cans are the best. I remembered at one time I knew I was going to perform this effect, I purposely bring a cooler of assorted beverages - mostly of the above two - and when the spec brought it out of the cooler for me, it seemed all fair and impromptu. So my suggestion would be to bring some beverages to the show as you're contributing to the event or for yourself when you want to perform this effect without any potential problem.
Coke,Diet coke, sprite,all work great.I'm thinking coke products in general have the perfect requirments. I don't think I would attempt this without first being sure that the given can has been personally tested by me. As I buy a soft drink from somewhere I have been buying a different brand and variety,and secretly testing it out. Just experiment with as many as you can.At worst,you buy a few extra drinks.
I used to work at a place where they stocked our kitchens with FREE soda. Just about every major drink you can think of. So when I bought this effect, I figured that I had the perfect testing ground. I went into the kitchen and pulled one can after another out of the shelves and tried it on several cans. I had a problem with making the coin "penetrate" several of the cans. That made me VERY reluctant to perform it impromptu. The only way I'd do it now is to test a can beforehand to make sure it'll work. I'd suggest everyone else do the same. You never when when the folks at Coke or Pepsi are going to change their cans.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Jan 9, 2007 04:14AM)
A and W root beer wont work on the last part of the effect. I have just started using nickels. They work and can be signed and people are still blown away from the coin being in the can. No worries about this can or that can. Less chance of flashing with smaller coin too but can still be signed on both sides and still just as visual. The coin is GONE when it is slammed into the bottom of the can.

When finishing the routine, don't flip the top back all the way when opening the can,Empty and shake a bit and then hand out the can and when the spectator tries to get it out, they have to totally push the tab to get the coin out. Good showmanship and just as strong in my opinion.

A Nickel is just available and impressive as a quarter. Like a bent cap on prohibition or a unbent cap. doesn't make a difference, none of the stated should ever be able to penetrate the can/bottle.Use a Nickel and no worries about this can or that can. I havent tried every single can made but I bet you they ALL will work, less stress and even more inpromtu :) Donkeys and Waffles
[quote]
On 2006-12-03 13:40, evolve629 wrote:
Diet Coke and diet Sprite cans are the best. I remembered at one time I knew I was going to perform this effect, I purposely bring a cooler of assorted beverages - mostly of the above two - and when the spec brought it out of the cooler for me, it seemed all fair and impromptu. So my suggestion would be to bring some beverages to the show as you're contributing to the event or for yourself when you want to perform this effect without any potential problem.
[/quote]

Evolve629... I am going to perform this on Friday at a neighbors house (after Buckeyes/Gators party). All they drink is Bud light and Diet RC. I will bring my own cooler. Thanks for a great idea.
Had an issue with a bud light can this weekend. Just a heads up. Might have just been that can.
Sometimes when I don't see a suitable can that Wayne mentioned in the DVD, I just don't do the effect. I just save it for later :)
[quote]
On 2007-01-09 07:45, paisa23 wrote:
Had an issue with a bud light can this weekend. Just a heads up. Might have just been that can.
[/quote]

Paisa...was it the last can of a 12 pak? :)

I know you have been back a while..but welcome home and Happy New Year!

Rich
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Jan 9, 2007 01:24PM)
Is using a quarter THAT important ? Seems everyone is so worried about this can and that can when a NICKEL has worked with every can I have tried. Try it, First stage, no issue, 2nd part as easy more cover , 3rd part guaranteed no issues. Still difficult to get out. I could shove a peanut in the can and people would be amazed. It is not the steak, it is the sizzle. Noone has ever said, yeah but can you do a quarter or a half dollar ? They are just blown away.
I practiced with several different brands beer cans. When I woke up, there were 24 empty beer cans on the floor and I can't seem to remember the results.
You know, nickel is a great suggestion. I can't beleive I didn't think of that. Thanks.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Jan 9, 2007 09:47PM)
Thanks, I think it solves the can brand problem completely.

donkeys and waffles
Yeah, I never even considered using a nickel either. I'll have to re-investigate. For those that don't like the idea of it being able to just fall out of the can, pour it out slowly and the nickel will still stay inside. Then hand the can to the spec and let them shake it around / discover it to be inside.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Jan 16, 2007 01:28AM)
I have tried it several times with a nickel and it hit just as hard. I have never had it just fall out when I turn the can over, even after flipping the top ALL the way, But I usually just leave the top halfway open and pour and let the spectator have the can after I empty and shake it a bit, it always takes them some time to get it out and some talk about how difficult it is to get out. You will see when you do it that you can empty it yourself and flip it upside down and see the initial w/out it falling out. Just my experiences but I will never use a quarter again, too many cans that wont work or are difficult. ALL cans work with a nickel.

Donkeys and Waffles
I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to reiterate the general purpose of the thread, which is some cans don't work, EXPERIMENT PEOPLE. Had a very near public fopaux with a diet pepsi can. Had I not at the last minute decided to discreetly test the effect with this particular can in an out of the way place at the gathering I was at, it would have been bad bad news.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Jun 17, 2007 08:30PM)
Again, if you had used a nickel, it would have never ever been an issue.ANY CAN ANY TIME. The can should never be an issue again for anyone unless you insist on using a quarter. With this can works and this one doesn't posts, why not use the nickel and you can do it with any can any time ? Did you read my posts before getting ready to do this ? Take care:)
[quote]
On 2007-06-17 21:30, donkeys and waffles wrote:
Again, if you had used a nickel, it would have never ever been an issue.ANY CAN ANY TIME. The can should never be an issue again for anyone unless you insist on using a quarter. With this can works and this one doesn't posts, why not use the nickel and you can do it with any can any time ? Did you read my posts before getting ready to do this ? Take care:)
[/quote]

Actually I hadn't read the posts, I only found them after I discovered the potential problem, and did a search to see if it was a common one. Yay for doing a search? Yay? Anyone? Echo? :)
I'm a big fan of this effect. (A little tip... try using A&W Root Beer Cans) they do the job well. Where might I find Biro's "Kicker" ending?
I like using a quarter, the majority of the time the spectator believes that the quarter is too big to fit into the hole eliminating the idea that the coin could have been somehow preloaded into the can.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Jun 19, 2007 01:33AM)
I don't use my own can, I borrow someones can when they buy a can of soda. I usually buy one too. I say, check this out, I learned how to do this neat little move. Can I use your soda ? I tell them to check it and make sure it is a normal can(it just came out of the machine or their refrigerator or cooler). They see it "slam" into the can and I finish the routine. I take a glass and pour the contents out into a cup or glass and shake the can. I make sure not to open the lip all the way, only about a third of the way and leave it there.It makes them open it more and more until they are able to get the nickel out of the can. I hand them the can and start drinking the cola and hand them my unopened soda to drink. Sometimes I will hand them the money and say can you get me a coke or whatever and then I say pick one of these I want to show you something. They are blown away.

I guess if I were to bring a can of soda into a room and say, watch this and did the effect, I would have some concern of spectator thinking a preload was possible. When I perform it, I have them get the can out of machine or any cooler. It makes it nice too because whatever brand they come back with I can do the effect without issue or concern.
[quote]
On 2007-06-17 22:54, closeupcardist wrote:
I'm a big fan of this effect. (A little tip... try using A&W Root Beer Cans) they do the job well. Where might I find Biro's "Kicker" ending?
[/quote]

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=138658&forum=109&post=4335248
GOOD NEWS! I just saw a commercial last night for Coors Light about how they now have a wider mouth. Here's an excerpt from an article because I can't find the commercial online:

[quote]In addition to these innovations, Coors Light is highlighting three of its most popular packaging enhancements – the Coors Light Plastic Bottle Cooler Box, the industry’s first ice-ready bottle package, and the Frost Brew Liner with the Wide Mouth Can. The Wide Mouth Can ensures a smoother drinking experience from Coors Light and Coors cans.[/quote]

This might be good for us. Maybe others will follow. Isn't that what happened with soda cans? I think Mt. Dew was the first to have a wide mouth way back in the 90s, and now it's hard to find soda cans that don't.
I'm a little late to the party here, but I've been doing this trick for about nine months now and absolutely love it. I prefer using a quarter and have trained myself to know what cans to look for and avoid. Since I'm not announcing the trick when I ask for a soda I have an easy out if necessary. I shoot for diet coke but have done it with diet pepsi without many problems.
But I have to say that the nickle is a great idea. I will keep it in mind and work it in to the routine depending on the can. I can't see why it wouldn't be just as impressive.
Terrick...thank goodness for the wider mouth comment...I was laughing through this whole thread. Its magic..not metaphysics...just a few possibilities...the coin was never in the can...the coin was always in the can...or you sneak the coin into the can. Anyone materializing coins in cans? To get the coin in the can...you must get the coin in the can! If the mouth is not wide enough...getting the coin in the can could be a bit tricky! Always nickels..dimes..and even a shaved penny in a pinch! :D