(Close Window)
Topic: Boris Pocus DVD
I'm thinking of getting this DVD within these few weeks , becuz it's seems so funny .

But before getting the disc I would like to know if most of the tricks inside are easy to do and impromptu ? (especially the mona lisa , could I just tear a picture from the magazine or somethings and do the trick or I have to do with the 'prepared' mona lisa picture ?)

Thanks .
Mona Lisa requires minimal prep...about 5 minutes....very very easy ...very very effective.....a lot of good material on DVD....only downside is Boris Pocus himself....while I find Sankey to be a funny and brilliantly gifted guy....Boris Pocus is not so much funny as he is annoying or irritating.....I could have done without same...

The Nighthawk
You have to realize who this dvd was primarily marketed to in order to understand why the character is the way he is. It is a mental magic dvd marketed towards teenagers, made by the guys over at Penguin. I believe it was an attempt to poke fun at mentalists to a certain degree. If you like Sankey's creativity, then this might be up your alley. However, Sankey's humor isn't as transparent since this isn't exactly Sankey. For what it's worth, I thought it was a good buy.

XX
I guys. I am not a school kid but purchased the DVD from them anyway. I wrote a review on their site....it's the guy from Mexico. At least it's not fake. That was before the sh--- came down with Sankey and all that.
mark
This dvd was not made by the guys at Penguin. It was made by Sankey. Penguin only sold it. It's not geared toward teenagers. There is some really good material on the dvd. But the character can be a little grating.
...Highly recommended DVD! Very, very funny. Each item explanation is introduced Eastern-European Gangland Torture-Style;

"...This one is like acid down their pants" (Mona Lisa)

Even the way his (verbal) mistakes are covered is very funny.

[b]GS[/b]
I have this dvd for sale. If anyone is interested, PM me. There are some really nice effects on here.
I read a lot of good reviews of this one but in all honesty, I was disappointed. Of all my Sankey dvds/tapes, this one was my least favorite. I watched it with my wife to see what kind of reactions the effects would get and she figured out the majority of them with no prior knowledge of mentalism techniques.
I actually liked this DVD.
His character on this one started to get old real quick for me.
The character can get a bit old. But there are some nice effects. His CAAN is good. Super simple and very effective.
I enjoyed this DVD, it was entertaining.
The DVD was very entertaining and plus there is a lot of material that I use on a regular basis like the mona lisa trick.....a must have for Sankey fans
The Boris character is Jay Sankey squared... If you like Sankey, you will probably like Boris. I find Sakney a little irritating... I find Boris EXTREMELY irritating. With that said, the mentalism is strong!

Michael
I think the character was [i]supposed[/i] to be irritating. I found Boris funny. Even the opening credits were funny. I really liked this dvd.
Well I like some of the effects and I like sankey and his style.

but boris? no thank you very much.

good thing you ain't buying this for the character but for the effects, remember that when you watch it and you'll be fine.

but in all honesty I can only watch 3 effects from boris in a row cuz he's really *** annoying
I generally like Jay Sankey, but I am not a fan of this dvd, his character became hard to watch after about 30 minutes or so. Just my opinion. I wasnt that fond of the material on this one either.
Well I liked, the effect are really good and I prefer Boris pocus that Jay Sankey.
I think it has some very practical and extremely strong effects. This DVD is worth every penny. The character "Boris Pocus" is hysterically funny to me. Some of the jokes hit home on exactly why I prefer not to perform mentalism as if it were "real."
An interesting diversion.
I own this DVD, and I've watched it probably 10 or 12 times, and I love it. I do, however, have a twisted sense of humor, and Sankey's humor is similar to my style, so I could really relate to it.

As for the effects, there are plenty of good effects on the DVD. Even if you like only one or two effects, it's worth the price. I think the DVD is worth it just for the entertainment value of watching Boris.

He's too funny!
Give Sankey a break. So he tried to do something different with this DVD. How many boring, stale DVDs have we all watched? You may not appreciate Boris' humor, but the effects are solid and I don't think you can fault Sankey for trying a different approach.

Good for him.... I'm waiting for Boris Pocus II !!!!
Do you guys think that the material would be placed more into the category of mental magic as opposed to mentalism?
Bryce,

A little bit of both... it's probably 60/40 split... favoring mental magic.

There's a lot of gold on this disk for sure.
I beleive there is an effect called lottery that I was hoping would be lost by his "Boris Pocus" However I see he also put this effect on Hemispheres. In any case pay no attention to this effect it is not impromptu and it has no effect on your audiance. It will not cause them to "take a spoon to the back of there head and slowly debrain themselfs"

Sean
Ha, ha. Yes, Lottery is a good one.

Boris Pocus contains powerhouse stuff. If Jay re-taped, just being himself, I'm sure the dvd would be far more popular. Unfortunately, some people couldn't get past the character. I thought it was fun, myself.
I totally loved Boris... I've watched it about 10 times (easily), and it never gets old. His character is just too freakin' funny...

I can read mind, predict the future, cause the tornado... I can do it all!
I always just thought I was the odd ball. I mean I am...
This effect is like dropping an anvil on a childs head on a hot day... Very stong... Very strong...
It's like acid down their pants!
I didn't get this DVD when it came out. If Jeff Stone and Cameron Francis liked it, then most likley I will as we have allot of the same tastes in close-up magic.
[quote]
On 2008-08-18 18:07, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I didn't get this DVD when it came out. If Jeff Stone and Cameron Francis liked it, then most likley I will as we have allot of the same tastes in close-up magic.
[/quote]
Chris,

I checked a couple of places online and couldn't find it.. I couldn't even find it on murphy's site. I know that it wasn't one of his best sellers, but if you love wacky Jay, you'll love this one... It's probably his funniest DVD of them all. And there's a lot of excellent material to boot.
Penguin might still have it...
[quote]
On 2008-08-18 14:08, jstone wrote:
Bryce,

A little bit of both... it's probably 60/40 split... favoring mental magic.

There's a lot of gold on this disk for sure.
[/quote]

A great help. Thanks.
No dice they have been out of stock on it for several years as has Murphy's. It is not even listed on Jay's site. However once in a great while you will see one pop up on ebay for a fairly cheap price.

Sean
By the way Cameron I love your fresh mint effect. I meet you in a magic shop about a year ago and you performed it for us. Very clever.

"It's like a chainsaw to the foot blood everywhere people screaming the police show up and a helicopter"
This one is like a nun with her arm trapped in a meat grinder.
Hey, kiiss_bpp, thanks! Did we meet at Fantasma?
No Daytona Magic.
When Treasure of The Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart was released, it did poorly at the box office. Since then, it is one of the most revered films of all time.
Sorry forgot to add a new quote... "You see what makes a future event so difficult to predict is, it has yet to happen. If instead it is happening right now or was some time ago it makes it much easier to predict that furture event."
I eat several onions per day... you know... because of the shape.
Really enjoyed this DVD and the material on it. I had heard that Boris was annoying, but I found myself laughing all the way through! 8/10
[quote]
On 2008-08-18 21:08, jstone wrote:
This one is like a nun with her arm trapped in a meat grinder.
[/quote]
This is a great one! I heard Hawkeye Piere once said to Hot lips Houlihan that she sounded like a song bird caught in hot tar!
[quote]
On 2008-09-06 08:40, Bryce wrote:
Really enjoyed this DVD and the material on it. I had heard that Boris was annoying, but I found myself laughing all the way through! 8/10
[/quote]

I'm with you Bryce... I thought it was freakin hilarious. It reminds me of when I was "just 2 years of age. I was sitting in the tall grass behind my father's gas station, among the broken bottles, tire irons, and corpses..."
Just recently reviewed my copy of the dvd. His antics are worth the price of admission. Many of the effects can be converted to any performer's style or rearranged to produce an even more interesting effect. It is certainly worth having in your library.
While I found Sankey's eastern European character extremely annoying, the terriffic magic on here made it worth sitting through.
[quote]
On 2008-12-20 10:50, motown wrote:
While I found Sankey's eastern European character extremely annoying, the terriffic magic on here made it worth sitting through.
[/quote]

As much as I loved the effects, I Loved Boris even more!
Acquaintances.

Absolutely superb.
Jeff,

That's the great thing about humor, everyone has a different idea of what's funny.
Different strokes for different folks.

Craig
[quote]
On 2008-12-23 21:15, motown wrote:
Jeff,

That's the great thing about humor, everyone has a different idea of what's funny.
Different strokes for different folks.

Craig
[/quote]
I Couldn't agree more.
[img]http://www.sankeymagic.com/images/boris.gif[/img]

The Boris Pocus DVD is back and now comes with a booklet featuring 5 new effects:

Details here:

http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48056
Say what you will about the Boris character, there are some really good effects on this dvd.
I'm still on the fence about getting it, but it does seem like something I'd enjoy.

Cameron, could you elaborate on the parts you thought were weak in the DVD? I usually like to hear the bad points first.
I actually sold my dvd a while ago. Kind of regret it, actually. But it was at a time when I was streamlining my magic collection.

Anyway I can't remember all of the effects but most were very good. Lottery is nice. The clock thing is fantastic. Lots of good stuff.

I think the only problem some people had with the dvd is Boris himself as he is quite eccentric. I found most of it to be very funny. But some people felt that Boris got in the way of the magic.
I always thought Boris Pocus was very similar to the act Jasper Blakely does when he performs as Kockov. Wonder if this is where Sankey found his inspiration for the character.
[quote]
On 2010-09-04 01:13, Andi Peters wrote:
I always thought Boris Pocus was very similar to the act Jasper Blakely does when he performs as Kockov. Wonder if this is where Sankey found his inspiration for the character.
[/quote]

Don't you think this kind of character is older than that ?
Why narrow you knowledge to you magic knowledge.
Knowledge and cultural are outside the field, rarealy inside.
Kockov was "born" in 1989 which is before Boris was "born."

However, Boris's accent and character (though not fully developed) are even older than Kockov. Jay's been doing that voice for years.

Also, I think parmenion's right, this is just a concept that both Kockov and Jay discovered that's already been around since before either of them were born.

When Boris first "revealed himself" to the community, it wasn't too long until the movie "Borat" came out. Many people accused Jay of stealing the idea from Borat event though Boris was "born" about 1 or so before Borat.

It's all independent invention.

By the way, if you don't own the Boris DVD, you really should reconsider. It's awesome.
People who accuse Jay of ripping off Borat are grasping at straws. The two characters don't sound or act like each other at all. Boris is a bling-sporting braggart. Borat is a speedo-sporting man-child. They really couldn't be more different.

While I certainly think Boris was created independently of Borat, the character of Borat has been around a long time. The first time I saw Borat was almost ten years ago on Da Ali G Show.
Would it be possible to discuss more of the effects on the DVD, provide reviews, etc? So far I like the looks of the lottery one.
I know this thread is old, but I already have 22 Blows To The Head and was just wondering which would be better to get, Boris Pocus Extremely Mental or Hemispheres?....
Both have some powerfully effects. So if possible I'd suggested buying both!
I ended up purchasing the Boris Pocus dvd and will still think about purchasing Hemispheres