(Close Window)
Topic: Gregory Wilson Ring Leader DVD
Its ready for preordering from penguin magic and I couldn't be happier. I have been waiting for this project to be easily availabe for quite some time.
Ring Leader or Card Stunts?
[quote]
On 2005-11-28 19:03, paisa23 wrote:
Ring Leader or Card Stunts?
[/quote]

both.
The vid for this looked real good...of course, coming from Greg Wilson, I would never expect anything but the best!
The video looks like it's taken from the ol' Ring Leader where it first came out... lol :)
[quote]
On 2005-11-28 21:50, evolve629 wrote:
The video looks like it's taken from the ol' Ring Leader where it first came out... lol :)
[/quote]

evolve, I think this is te old ring leader, just transferred to dvd.
Message: Posted by: Alejandro Peterson (Nov 29, 2005 01:59PM)
I pre ordered mine, I will post a review as soon as I can
Thanks alejandro good move
It says that the dvd won't have the velvet cord with it like it did with the video. Does anyone know how hard it might be to find a velvet cord?
I preordered it too; it is supposedly coming with a himber ring and a velvet cord too!

This is one of my FAVORITE videos.
It better come with the DVD! I've been searching high and low for similar cord! ;)
It's not a himber ring--it's a regular "practice" ring. The routine itself uses no gimmicks or special rings.

[quote]
On 2005-12-17 00:31, alym wrote:
I preordered it too; it is supposedly coming with a himber ring and a velvet cord too!

This is one of my FAVORITE videos.
[/quote]
[quote]
It's not a himber ring--it's a regular "practice" ring. The routine itself uses no gimmicks or special rings.
[/quote]

Sigh...as a preorder special from penguin, those who preordered received (well apparently) the Velvet cord, a Stagge (himber) ring, and the video and paid 39.95, not 49.95. I add the "apparently" because my order has not arrived. If it shows up with a shoe-lace and a ribbon as per what is now written on the Penguin site, I'm not going to be happy!

You don't need a himber ring, nor did I say you did; but it was what was given out as a special offer.

[edit]

Apparently you still get the Stagge ring:

from penguin: "What You Get: This package includes a shoe-lace and a ribbon. Both are absolutely PERFECT for performing the routines taught on RING LEADER!! Since all of the routines you'll learn use a non-gimmicked "rope", we recommend choosing whichever material best fits your performance style and character.

ALSO INCLUDED as a limited time FREE BONUS is a StaggeRing (a 29.95 value!) The StaggeRing is a perfect size and weight to use as you practice the routine, PLUS you can use it as a Himber Ring in your act. All routines taught on Ring Leader use ungimmicked rings"
This is stated at Penguin Magic - Please note: When Ring Leader first came out (on VHS), the package included a three foot segment of velvet cord. This was the same cord you see Greg performing with throughout the DVD. Recently, the manufacturer of this velvet cord has discontinued it, and it is no longer available. As a substitute we now include both a shoe lace and a three foot segment of ribbon. These are both excellent alternatives to the velvet cord and allow you to perform all routines in the DVD. We recommend using whichever material best fits your performing style and character.
When did the manufacturer runs out of the velvet cord? I am also bummed about this. And the price I paid is $49.95 advertised on Penguin Magic.
When I ordered it that warning wasn't yet there.
I'll see what shows up at my door in a few days...

Keep you posted :)
I'm awaiting mine too
I have found that to be the trouble with pre-order. You are paying for something that the dealer does not even have yet, so how can they accurately tell you what you are going to recieve. I agree the $10 price break is good but not if you are getting incorrect props. I do a different routine that uses a shoelace and it works fine. However, I understand that what Greg uses is much nicer and should be included as stated.
I got my Ring LEader DVD and as promised, it came with a velvet cord (3 ft) approx the same quality as that which came with the original VHS version a few years ago. Also, came with a golden colored StaggeRing as advertised on Penguin's site when I pre-ordered it. So, despite all the Penguin-basjing, I feel that Penguin has fully delivered on its promise - on-time and complete.
Yes, I also rec'd my Ring Leader dvd with the velvet cord and StaggerRing. Is this StaggerRing just for practice like a regular ring? I don't see any instruction as far as how this ring is suppose to work.
[quote]
On 2005-12-23 20:03, evolve629 wrote:
Yes, I also rec'd my Ring Leader dvd with the velvet cord and StaggerRing. Is this StaggerRing just for practice like a regular ring? I don't see any instruction as far as how this ring is suppose to work.
[/quote]

My understanding is its a bonus effect and should come with instructions etc...I have not recieved mine yet and obviously will not until after Xmas....though I ordered some time ago...I am anticipating instructions....though.....maybe there is something in the Penguins Only section of the Penguin Wegsite.
Im ordering this soon, hate to shop at penguin, but I need to get Ring Leader and Card Stunts
Yes, Ring Leader by Greg Wilson is truly entertaining. The magic is eye-poping and you get audiences to participate. This dvd is perhaps the most comprehensive ring and rope video ever. You get the StaggerRing free from PenguinMagic for practice. It does not come with any instruction specficially as to how to use the StaggerRing. I was very glad that I rec'd the plush velvet cord that Greg recommends.
Argh.

so there is literally no alternative but to support the Unethical penguins by buying the DVD from them?
I know, painful huh?... But I just gotta get my Greg!!
I'm confused, is this a real Himber/StaggeRing? or is it just a funny looking ring? I got no instructions on how to open the thing up. Although I can see where it appears to be gaffed(way too obvious looking - a big gap, and segments that are out of line), I don't want to force it and break it. My guess is that PM bought a bunch of quality/control reject rings for a low price, and are now calling them practice rings.

I also got the black shoelace (scheese), a red ribbon, and a Hotrod pen, and no instructions for the ring.

But I got the DVD!, and for just $39.95 less 10%
John
[quote]
On 2005-12-24 18:47, baskitboy5 wrote:
But I just gotta get my Greg!!
[/quote]

I hear you. I pre-ordered and still waiting!
Evolve, some great routines using the himber ring can be found in Roger Klause's book "Roger Klause in Concert" or in Richard Osterlinds Mind Mysteries vol.#1
I just received the Ring Leader DVD and it's as good as everyone has been saying. However, now I'm on a quest for a suitable plush velvet cord because I really don't care to use a shoelace, ribbon, or standard piece of rope.Can anyone advise where I might be able to find one?

-Jared
http://www.mendels.com/trims.html

Thanks to Evolve's post, I found it! For those that are interested it is noted above.

-Jared
Ring Leader is the greatest! One of my favorite routines.
I have the video version and agree it is very entertaining, loaded with moves ,tips ,well explained,useable material, sources are credited and a great value for the price. I did notice several cuts/edits in the opening performance of the routine though and would have preferred too see the entire routine unedited to see how he handled the assisting spectators ( the female seemed a wee bit problematic) and also to see how he transistioned from 1 phase to the next without edits. Overall it's great and a real value.
The moves in this DVD are fantastic! I would have never guessed in a million years the techniques by watching the demo .. something entirely different in what you think he is doing. I enjoy all of Wilson's videos .. very entertaining. I met him when he was here last year at the Garden City magic shop .. great guy!
Ring Leader is an excellent routine.
Don't despair if you don't get the velvet cord with the DVD. You can always buy velvet cord from most fabric stores or craft sotres. I think that Jo-Anns carries velvet cord. I don't think Michael's does.
I loved the video when it came out and the cord and the ring. Has anything been added to the dvd?
I hope I get to see gregory wilson do it live on wednesday in san francisco.
The DVD version pales in comparison to the original. The video has been butchered. The edits are choppy and painfully obvious. Wilson mentions parts of the DVD that AREN'T EVEN THERE anymore!

Why would they do such a poor editting job? The routine is still learnable and a great routine. If you can find the original on tape, buy it! But don't go dvd unless you have no alternative.

Ben S
In that case I'm glad I have the origional video.
[quote]
On 2006-02-03 17:56, BenSalinas wrote:
The DVD version pales in comparison to the original. The video has been butchered. The edits are choppy and painfully obvious. Wilson mentions parts of the DVD that AREN'T EVEN THERE anymore!

Why would they do such a poor editting job? The routine is still learnable and a great routine. If you can find the original on tape, buy it! But don't go dvd unless you have no alternative.

Ben S
[/quote]

Are you sure that it's not a direct copy of the tape?
I still have my burgundy cord that came with the dvd... I remember Magicsmith used to sell extra cords in black before they were vought out by penguin... I have looked at sooo many fabric shops and they don't have the same cord... the ones that came with the video were the best to work with... it was also great for doing the one handed knot...
Hmm itīs sold out everywere... do you know were to find it?
[quote]
On 2008-05-07 04:19, Khayman wrote:
Hmm itīs sold out everywere... do you know were to find it?
[/quote]

Contact Chris Smith who produced it: Chris@magicsmith.com
I just did! I'm waiting for an answer as we speak.
Thanks for the help so far :)
[quote]

Contact Chris Smith who produced it: Chris@magicsmith.com
[/quote]

This is the answer I got.

---------------------------
Hi Jesper,
Thanks for your email. Penguin Magic bought the rights to Ring Leader in 2003 - so I'd check with them.
---------------------------
So I will contact penguin right now.
Jesper, thanks for the update!
Just got the original video with cord and ring off ebay for $9.95 this morning. Check ebay out they come up occasionally
[quote]
On 2006-01-27 18:00, Turk wrote:
Don't despair if you don't get the velvet cord with the DVD. You can always buy velvet cord from most fabric stores or craft sotres. I think that Jo-Anns carries velvet cord. I don't think Michael's does.
[/quote]

Turk is right. I went to Jo-Ann Fabric today at lunch and went to the ribbon section. It is on a spool called Velvet Tubing. Ask for it and you will be able to find it. It is only 2.78 a yard. Plenty cheap!!!
They don"t have it at the JoAnns here. They looked at me like I had a horn
growing from my head.
This looks like it (under Velvet cord):

http://www.mendels.com/trims.shtml
I found the velvet cord at JoAnns it in the ribbon section
I made this routine the foundation of a close-up competition routine earlier this year at Magi-Fest, and it was received very well. 2nd place. I love Ring Leader.
Ring leader is all its cracked up to be. It totally kills,Iperformed it at least 30 times at this years Melbourne cup lunch and galla show at Blacktown Workers club around the tables, this routiene never fails to get cheers and gasps.The ring and ribbon supplied are very cheap and nasty so buy your own velvet ribbon and a chunky style ring and you to will be a RING LEADER.
[quote]
On 2008-11-18 23:09, Jon Blakeney wrote:
Ring leader is all its cracked up to be. It totally kills,Iperformed it at least 30 times at this years Melbourne cup lunch and galla show at Blacktown Workers club around the tables, this routiene never fails to get cheers and gasps.The ring and ribbon supplied are very cheap and nasty so buy your own velvet ribbon and a chunky style ring and you to will be a RING LEADER.
[/quote]
The velvet purple colored rope that came w/ Ring Leader is a good quality one. I'm using a Himber ring and if my memory served me right, it was a free bonus.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Nov 19, 2008 08:18PM)
Weird... about a month ago I ordered Ring Leader and received it. However, appparently the velvet cord is no long made so I was supplied withc a grren thin ribbon. Still worked well. Suddenly, out of nowhere, today I get a tiny package from Penguin Magic. Inside was a black velvet cord and a nice looking brass ring. I don't know why, but it happened and it's great! Thank you Penguin!
I wanted to re open this thread to hear about your favorite moves taught on the DVD. I actually received mine not too long ago and so far I am enjoying the "Discrepant Insertion/Fake Take & suicide drop" (although you have to get the right feel for the suicide drop to work). I also really enjoyed "Gold Medal" where you pretend to slide ring off and put it in pocket, tie chord around your neck and apparently toss the ring back on. I also enjoy the move with 2 specs (he doesn't know who to credit) holding each end and the ring melts through the center. My favorite move of the whole DVD is most definitely the "Clifton Ring Move". I do it a bit differently. I have my keychain with a simple clip in my back pocket. When I show the rings "actually" on the string (they touch and examine), I close my fist, have them tie the rope around my fist. I take my keys out of my back pocket saying "Tell you what .. I have my car and house keys here. Both are yours if anything happens to your ring". I have them close it in their fist. I slowly open up my tied up hand and show the ring vanished and tell them they can have my car and house (have them open their hands) and there they see their ring on the keychain. Next, Im getting Deluxe Nest Of Wallets for a nice conclusion. No gimmicks, high quality and easy sleights I hear.

What are some of your fav's?
I think Mr. Wilson's work is amazing, I have seen him live & he is really good on controlling a crowd. I have also seen him lecture & that is even better be is a great teacher & a better performer.
Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFNUz7G8-A
Kjellstrom, thanks for the clip.

I didn't care for it. It just didn't make me go...I want to do that.

I'm sure those that use it are entertaining their audience, which is all that counts.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 11, 2016 02:44PM)
I couldn't find this at jo annes fabric
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 11, 2016 03:26PM)
Or Micheals
[quote]On Feb 3, 2006, BenSalinas wrote:

Ben S [/quote]

Does anybody know anything about this? Was the DVD version ever re-done?
I think I've seen they offered download at Penguin.
As Johnny-come-lately, the DVD is filled with great material. Hard to go wrong with Greg Wilson. As to the ribbon now provided, I've found a better replacement for the velvet cord. Thinner version of soft-core magician's rope. It's white, which is fine, but it's easily dyed red or a color of your preference. Because the rope has a somewhat empty core, it "pinches" well and is supple like the original velvet cord.
Do you mind supplying your source?

Thanks,
Dan
I believe I went to Jo-Ann fabric for my velvet cord. Also try hobby lobby.