(Close Window)
Topic: Sources for Dragon Thread
Sure this has been discussed before. Specifically I am looking for the "dragon thread" that came with the Mike Wong VHS, I like the feel of it and it breaks easily. Where can I get this kind of thread without having to buy the video again.
Try chevries dental floss routine...kills....and breaks easy...no pain
koz
Look for "Basting Thread."
Not the same.
I too have been needing the thread, lost the original and havent even viewed the dvd since, but would enjoy getting back into it
I look at Mike Wong's website and he does not offer any refill or supply source for the Dragon Thread. Hmmm...
I had the same problem, when I ran out and my wife very casually stated that she had the exact thread type for her needle point. You can purchase it (in any color) at any craft store or Wal-Mart.
I boughtt the video three times already! Tommy K, can you give more info on the thread, brand number size or something? Thanks- Mark
OMG, you bought the vid 3 times for the thread? I'm wondering if you should contact Mike Wong directly about this. http://www.mikewong.com/
[quote]
On 2005-12-16 11:47, cinemagician wrote:
Sure this has been discussed before. Specifically I am looking for the "dragon thread" that came with the Mike Wong VHS, I like the feel of it and it breaks easily. Where can I get this kind of thread without having to buy the video again.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2005-12-17 01:16, tommy k wrote:
I had the same problem, when I ran out and my wife very casually stated that she had the exact thread type for her needle point. You can purchase it (in any color) at any craft store or Wal-Mart.
[/quote]

Cinemagician,

Tommy is correct. The thread is either embroidery thread or needle point thread. I'm not certain which one. Someone sent me a "packet" of the replacement thread and I've misplaced it. I'll try and find it and give you the exact berand and stock number. In the interim, just go down to you local crafts store and take a look at the needle point thead and the embroidery thread. You should be able to find the right kind just by examining the two choices.

Hope this info helps.

Mike
The exact thread Mike Wong uses in the Dragon Thread video/DVD is sold at Wal-Mart or any outlet that sells sewing supplies.

At Wal-Mart it is called Embroidory Floss. There are probably over 200 colors available on 3 revolving racks. Each bundle contains 8m (8.7yds), and the price is 24 cents. You'll find it with the sewing supplies. If you don't see it, ask for it, I'm sure all the stores carry it.
Sorry for the late post, Bill has provided all of the correct information. You will feel like the proverbial "kid in a candy store" when you see the selection.

Have fun!
Can you explain the Dragon Thread routine and effect?
It's a torn and restored thread effect, of which there are many different versions. In Mike Wong's Dragon Thread, he gives pulls the thread from a small Chinese box, before tearing and restoring. I believe in his version on the Dragon Thread DVD he performs to music, although my memory might be faulty on this point. Eugene Burger does a version he calls Hindu Thread. Gary Ouellet has a version in Close Up Illusions and I am also familiar with a version from Lewis Ganson's The Art of Close Up Magic. It's also been done with dental floss. There are probably lots of other versions as well. It's a versatile effect that can be adapted according to a performer's personality and audience.
You can see a demo of Mike Wong performing "Dragon Thread" here:

http://www.magicsmith.com/product_info.php?products_id=27
[quote]
On 2005-12-20 23:07, okbohn wrote:
[/quote]

A version of the Gypsy Thread.
[quote]
On 2005-12-20 23:07, okbohn wrote:
[/quote]

Was it Al Baker that first came up with the Gypsie Thread routine? It is in Pet Secrets as The Hindu Thread Trick. But this is published in 1951. There are probably earlier versions?
Guys thanks very much, I was busy Christmas err..is..it.."holiday" shopping and forgot all about the thread until I would up in an arts and crafts store tonite to buy some picture frames. I wish I had checked the board before I went shopping. Thanks evolve629, Tommy, Turk and Bill Beach for your help. Now I can start doing the effect again. Gary I would be interested in finding out more about the origin...wait Eugene Burger's here!...maybe we could ask him? Have a nice Christmas..errr..holiday- cinemagician
I have to tell you, I just watched the Magic Smith video clip for the first time and other than the empty hands display, I don't see any difference between Dragon Thread and Max Londono's ETERNAL STRING - NEW STARS OF MAGIC - VOL. 1 NO. 9. I did that routine as a teenager in the late 70's; Got some hands on instruction from Max himself.
Check this out!

http://www.magicsmith.com/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=ac4a6e91a27843db1406f2d6db641b84

$5 for the video--I ordered it!
Guys picked up my thread today. Thanks a lot only 24 cents! tommy k, you are right lots of purrrdy colors to choose from. Just one strange thing - might post this on the bizarre forum, one of the colors I selected (I would call it "chinese red" for lack of a better description) bears the number 666 on the label near the UPC code. Perhaps it could come in useful for those who use this kind of presentation. Anyway- thanks-
This Mike Wong regarding Dragon Thread!
Thanks for all the interest. The thread is available at most craft stores, Walmart or fabric stores.
Regarding the Max Landono routine, I have streamlined the handleing and made some changes in the way the thread is handled. 2 major changes. 1. I don't use wax. It makes the thread look old and dirty. 2. I don't break up the thread into small pieces in the beginning. I use long pieces and do the breaking during the performance. The audience can hear see the thread being broken. I first learn the routine from Mel Anderson in Portland, Oregon in 1974. At that time, I had not heard of Max and his routine. Throught out the years, I have made modifications to the way it was taugh to me by Mel Anderson. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Dragon Thread. Mike
One more thing...Dragon Thread can be repeated over and over with the same thread. Nothing to ditch or get rid of. There is no reset and is always ready to perform. All the torn pieces can be placed in someone's hand while your hands are shown empty.
Thanks Mike for responding. I think it's a great routine and it has delighted all I have performed it for, however, I wish you mentioned the source for the thread because as I mentioned above, I actually bought your video 3 times just to get the thread you use in the trick. You might want to offer the thread at a slight price hike on your website (say a buck), I'm sure people not "in the know" will go for it. Curiously, where did you get the little pill box type thing that you have in the video. It is not necessary to have anything like this to perform the routine, but it's great for walk around. I bet if you offered something like this on your site it would also sell. Also, why not re-shoot the video and put it out on DVD with tons of thread? Anyway- thanks for the reply- Mark
One more thought, your video proves that there is nothing wrong with re-hasing old effects like this and selling them. At least it will keep newcomers and young magicians performing good magic instead of the usual crap that obviously looks like it came from a magic shop.
I don't own the rights to the Dragon Thread. Magic Smith owns the video and DVD rights and has paid me good money up front and I do get a royality from sales. It is on DVD now. I have not put it on the website yet. But will soon be there.

I did this trick for over 15 years and very one ask just blown away. I performed it at the Magic Castle in my shows there and people kept bugging me to release it. Magic Smith approached me produce the video. At the time I knew nothing about video production costs and marketing maigc products. So that is why I let Magic Smith have to rights to do it. Now I know a lot more about this field and plan on producing other products. My sponge rabbits are a bit hit and everyone that uses them loves them. check it out on my website.

Thanks for your interest.
Mike Wong
http://www.mikewong.com
800-959-6244
What color number is the Thread that comes with the DVD ?
[quote]
On 2007-01-26 10:18, zfl-mick wrote:
What color number is the Thread that comes with the DVD ?
[/quote]

Zfl-mick,

The thread that I received in the DVD I purchased is kind of a bright Turquoise Blue. There is no brand name or identifying information on the thread. It just came as an open bundle in a small open-ended baggie. I'm not certain if it is, in fact, the original thread that came with the DVD. (I bought the DVD used.)

Really, I don't think the color of the thread is important except that you pick a color of high contrasting visibility that can easily be seen by your audience.

Hope this info helps.

Mike
If doing this effect is wong .. I don't want to be right.

I love this effect!
If you have trouble finding this thread (it's actually called "floss") you can order it here and number 666 is perfect even if it is the number of the beast:

http://everythingcrossstitch.com/dmc-cross-stitch-thread-mrl-c274.aspx?k2=e1&pagenum=2

Andre