(Close Window)
Topic: Beginners Progress
Well I started to learn magic about 10 weeks ago and I thought I'd post what I have learned since then, this may help some new people who have just started as to what can be accomplished in a small amount of time. I am not an expert by no means but I can do a fair amount for my family and freinds. I started to learn because of Criss Angel and David Blaine as I thought I wish I could do some of that. And I also wanted to do some stuff for my xmas party at home.

Here's what I can do, then I will list in what order I learnt them and a rough time scale. Obviously I have spent a fair amount of money too. :P
I have also put in at least 5 hours every single day that's atleast 350 hours so far, I am by no means good at everything I list here, but I can do them, something self work I.E. Rising Card and something I can do easily I.E. DL, Elmsley and so on. Somethings I have performed for my family and somethings I am still working on.

Jog Shuffle
Prepared Double Lift
Unprepared Double Lift
Full Ambitious Card Routine (All the usual moves)
Elmsley Count
Charlier Cut
Revolution Cut
Erdanase Colour Change
Glass Through The Table
Strike Vanish
Steve Fearson - Floating Cigarette (Full Routine)
Coin in a Can (Criss Angel)
Richard Sanders - Fiber Optics (Full Routine)
Coin Palming (Various Palms NOT ALL Palms Though)
Colour Fusion
Snap Change
Hindu Shuffle
Torn and Restored Card
Hummer Card
Rising Card (Ghost Deck)
Impromtu-ish Rising Card
Balducci Levitation
King Rising Levitation
3 Card Monte
Card Through a Window/on a window/on the ceiling too :P
Use of Raven and M5 for basic stuff at present.

Right there's what I can do like I said not everything is good some stuff I'm working on still.

The 1st thing I learned was a Prepared DL this is probably the most important thing to learn in card magic it only took a couple of hours to get this down good enough. I then learned some ACR moves which most are very easy to do helped by CC1 from ellusionist.

The Jog Shuffle came next and again doesn't take long to learn, and is a must for all card magicians especially new ones.

Next was Hummer Card this took a lot more practice but it was worth it. This took a few days solid practice.

Charlier Cut hehe this took about a week to nail it but I walked around with cards all day long in my hand doing this move.

Unprepaired DL this took about a week again of constant DL's.

Then it was Erdanase Colour Change again this took about a week to get to a good standard.

Strike Vanish was a great thing to learn I seemed to get this down really fast like only a couple of hours and voila I'm lovin it.

I then had a go at Coin Palming and still struggle abit but am getting better, I walk around with palmed coins still for as long as possible... haha been at it about 4 weeks lol.

Steve Fearson Floating Cigarette took a couple of days due to my own fears of getting caught in the act so to speak, but am now ok with this.

The Revolution Cut took about a week I still practice this now all the time, I use this as an exersise for my fingers.

Coin in a Can took about 2 days to get the handling sorted before I performed this, and it a great one to have in your arsenal of tricks.

The rest of the stuff has been squeezed in at different points. I obviously have learnt some card tricks too from various DVD's I have bought.
There have been times it has done my head in but I just keep on going as I love the end result it is all worth it trust me.

I hope any other new beginners to magic who may read this gets inspired by another beginner as to what can be learnt in a small amount of time.

I currently do the classic pass about 200 times a day although this is tough I will keep at it.

So after 10 weeks here's looking at what the next 10 years will be like... All I can say is BRING IT ON.................

P.S.
Merry Christmas and all the best for 2006 to all the members, Thanks for a great site.
Wow, that certainly is a lot of stuff. You have fallen into what many newbies fall into. That is learning to many different things to early. Don't take that as a bash. We have all done it. My advice to you, and this will help make you a better magician, Is to learn and perfect one thing at a time. It is better to be able to do 3 to 6 effects flawlessly than to be able to do 20 effects horribly. Don't rush your studies. Get a couple of books read through them slowly, absorbing every thing they have to offer. Then when you are done, Go through them again and pick up more that maybe you didn't see before. that's just my advice. Listen if you want. Good luck on your journey through magic.

Corey
All advice is greatfully recieved and like you said I probably am trying too much as a beginner, but it's difficult as I'm like an addict now looking for my next fix of magic to learn...

There are somethings I practice daily as a routine such as I do a lot of DL's, Erdanase Colour Change's, and I'm always jog shuffling. I also go through a full ACR every couple of days to keep up on my skills. Whenever I'm out I walk around coin palmed.

The rest of the stuff I fit in if there's time as I'm a family man it gets difficult apart from evenings while watching TV I have a deck of cards in my hand again doing DL's etc.

Cheers.... :)
Man, magic has become soo popular because of David blaine, and Criss Angel. Whenever I perform for someone, they say, "can you fly like that guy on tv?" Or say something else that has to do with them. The most common one I get is "Are you going to make me dissappear?" A lot of people just don't see magic much, and the stuff they do see, is a stage show on tv. So that is automaticly what they think Im going to do. And when they first see that I am a kid, they don't think much of it. They say, "oh, Im gonna sit right here so I can see how he does the tricks." And I say. "ok, good luck with that." Or, they act real nice and just say to themselves. "I will act like I am amazed to give this kid a chance" But, as soon as they see me perform, they see that I not just a kid that knows a few card tricks, I am someone who knows what he is doing. And that's when I hand out my card, and get buisness. :)
I was doing a show just last night, and that was exactly what I got. And I blew them away! Now I am doing some more shows in the future because they liked me, and are going to hire me for their grandchildrens birthdays. I overheard someone say, "Man, that wasnt at all what I thought it was going to be like. That is the best magician I have ever seen! I have never seen a magician perform soo close and let ME handle the props." And, time and time again, they where asking how old I was, when I told them they just mumbled "Wow"
Anyway, good luck with your magic. But try not to ressemble David Blaine or Criss Angel too much, because they are amazing, but not entertaining. Make a good, funny character, and do the best you can. -Cory.
I agree with Corey slow down. You can only do so much magic, that is why most of us specialize in a particular area of magic (i.e. close-up, Parlor, Stage, Illusion, etc.) and within each of those areas is a lot of leeway. Get principles down first, learn methods of performance. Technique alone is not necessarily good magic. I know some pretty good technicians out there who really aren't that good as magicians. Their performances might impress another magician because of its technical skill, but falls short in audience entertainment. Being the best card or coin manipulator in the world is worth nothing, unless you can be entertaining with what you do. Better to know a little extremely well than a lot not so well.
Assuming you do a passable job on what you listed, you know and do more "stuff" than half the people on the Café. Don't burn yourself out. Tricks are but a few percent of the learning opportunity magic has to offer. Enjoy the journey.

Frank Tougas
Merry Christmas to you too, tonycrew! I say go for it - submerge and surround yourself with all the magic you can. You are in love with magic and there's nothing wrong with going with your gusto. It's up to you when you want to cruise this magical journey at a different speed. I remember when I was starting, boy, I was all consumed with it and loved, still do, every moment of it! :smiles:
Tony,

It sounds like you have the ambition! I agree with everyone on here so far. Submerge yourself in as much magic as you can, but also, don't get burnt out from doing too much at once. I often think magic 24/7, which makes it difficult for me to sleep sometimes. LOL Try to only work on a few effects or sleights at a time, and really grasp everything that could happen even within that one thing. Once you are in more real-life performance situations, you will begin to realize that sometimes something might come up that you didn't expect. Only with that real-life experience, can you know how to adapt to other situations.

Just a few rhetorical questions for you: How will you handle the situation if you accidentally flash a card when you shouldn't have? Do you know what to do if you are in the middle of a routine and the spectator wants to shuffle the cards...? or if they say they "saw" a move? even if you didn't do a move? Heck for that matter, can I answer these about myself... hmmm...? :)

Also if you want to be a good performer, work on your entertainment skills as much or more than you work on your sleights and routines. Acting skills are equally as imporant. Anyways, just my opinions... Best of luck on your magical journey, and as my friend Tony says, "Take care and take cards".

TomK
"Make haste slowly" is the best advise I can give. There are stages that everyone goes thru in the beginning. When learning to walk for instance, a child first learns to stand with balance, strenghthening the required muscles and acquiring the muscle memory to do so. Then as he takes his first steps balance plays a key role and falling is inevitable in those first stages. But within time the child will learn. The learning process is different for each individual but there is one thing in common...we all must begin with the basics. We live in an era where everything is literally at our fingertips and it so fast paced that we tend to neglect and spend the necessary time to learn many of the basics in order to advance in everything that we learn and do. Well it certainly looks like the magic bug has bitten you! Enjoy your journey and keep us informed of your progress. Welcome to the up and down world of magic! Remember to practice till you can't do it wrong...and then some!! Merry Christamas!
:bikes: :xmastree: :bikes:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
Again thanks for all your replies it's good to know there is support for people who are new to magic, a lot of the time people forget they were learners too and don't have the time to help others.

I am lucky in that my wife helps me as I do a trick I ask her for her opinion and ask her to see if she saw how it was done. If she see's it I go away and practice some more. She has been a great help especially when I get frustrated with something I'm struggling with. If she don't see how it's done and she's looking for it then I am pleased. I find it helps me a lot for her to know how some tricks are done so that she can look for mistakes that I may do.

Although sometimes I do her head in as I can say to her at 6am or midnight hey love watch this... hehe I'm always doing it, in the middle of her cooking or as we're going to bed... but overall she's a great support, and has bought me some great stuff like the M5 and pen through a dollar, bitten coin etc. So I guess I am extremley lucky.

I found at the beginning that angles were a problem I forgot about my positioning, now I do a lot at my card table I made, especially if the room is packed, or I do tricks that are not so angle sensitive.

My main out on card tricks if someone says you aint putting it in the middle during an ACR is the Marlo Tilt putting the card in upside down then doing a colour change.

Or I say ok here watch and I'll force a card or maybe even do the card wrap/vodoo or a colour fusion card, I'm always ready for these as I am always setup for these and the one where you rub ashes on your arm and the cards name appears.

Here's wishing you a a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a GREAT NEW YEAR...... :) :) :)
You may also want to practice in front of a mirror or video tape your self. When ever I'm working on something that is angle sensitive I pull out the camcorder and record the effect from all angles to make sure I have myself covered.
Ah nice one Corey I never thought of videoing myself on my camcorder... I have done stuff infront of mirrors though.... hehe I'm off to get some taping going..
Wow, do you have full time job (I am assuming it isn't magic yet)?

I am lucky if I can grab a couple of hours a day to practice a few effects with a full time job, family, etc.

In either case. Kudos to you for all your hard work!
Corey said something about learning too much at the beginning. I did that a little over a year ago when I started, and I don't even use most of the stuff I had spent so much money on. Get a few books and DVDs and learn everything out of them. Strip out what you really don't like, and then go from there.