(Close Window)
Topic: Sponge Balls for Small Hands
I like sponge balls, and kids love it, but I have small hands, which makes it difficult to do much with the balls. I haven't researched too much on them. I got 1.5" balls instead of 2, but they can still be difficult. Any ideas?
All you can do is try out different sizes and see if you can do the moves with them. When I was young, I used a variety of sizes - but I didn't work on the sponges much until I was about 12 or 13.

When I did my first routines, I used 2" super soft balls. I still won't use anything larger than that, because my hands aren't wide enough to handle them smoothly. When having a child assist me I use 1 1/2" balls, because they have a hard time concealing larger balls in the hand.

I'd say that a rule of thumb is to use a ball that you can conceal in your curled middle, ring and little fingers. You'd want something that is slightly narrower that the combined width of those three fingers - that would probably be the biggest ball you can handle smoothly.
You can get 1 inch sponge balls. I bought a sack of 50 of them. I use them for my final load in my Benson Bowl routine. I can get about 25 or so under my hat. Oh, I use my hat for the bowl.
I believe I use 1.5 inch and for the first part of Carney's routine. I find it hard to conceal it within my thumb and index finger.
I have been performing the sponge balls since I was 7. I started with 1.5 inch ones. Supersoft. I had small hands, I have small hands, it is no excuse, especially with sponge balls!
Try using smaller sponges. Not balls but bunnies. The baby bunnies are small with "Hare Raising Experience." I like rabbits better than balls any way. It's makes everything more exciting for for the crowds because it makes everything more liveylier*. And you can use different stories. Another set of small rabbits are Ammar's.

*How do you spell that word?
[quote]
On 2005-12-27 05:17, Dynamike wrote:

*How do you spell that word?
[/quote]

Just take out the "Y" so that you will have "livelier".
Unless your hands are exceptionally small, you should be able to handle a 1.5 inch ball. However, 1 inch balls are available.
Thank you, Sam. I learned something today.
I just feel uncomfortable with concealing them. I always feel as if it is totally visible.
Use 1 inch balls. I did use 1 inch, then I got 2 inch, and I love them. They are bigger, which makes them easier to see, and they just look more visual. I thought moving from 1 in to 2 in would be difficult. But it wasnt bad. I find them very easy to use. Magicman226, did yiu do the busker thing yet? I think you were the one who was going to do that anyway... If it was you, how did it go? All the best. -Cory.
Oh, and what is that in your display picture? What award is that??
[quote]
On 2005-12-28 19:37, magicman226 wrote:
I just feel uncomfortable with concealing them. I always feel as if it is totally visible.
[/quote]

Try working on your showmanship more. If you feel they are visible, the spectators probably knows they are also. Try pretending they are not concealed by focusing on something else. Keep a good patter going. The same time you are controlling the audience on where to look and not look. And try starting off with the sponges when you are sitting at a table. The sponges can easily be concealed when your hand is on the table top or edge. And try watching Goshman's video or Patrick Paige's dvd on more tips.
[quote]
On 2005-12-28 19:37, magicman226 wrote:
[/quote]

I think of it this way. If your mind is on the object you are trying to conceal chances are you will flash that object. When I am palming something I do not think about that object; I do however think about the object a lot when I am practicing.
What's "visible" to you will be to the spectator. Don't worry about it. Go for a smaller spongeball size and use the super soft variety as they will compress better. Magicians hide all kinds of stuff right in plain sight! Work on overcoming your guilt and you'll be concealing a 5" whopper by next week! :)