(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite bill switch
Just wondering...since there are so many different bill switches out there...could you guys name youre favourite.

My own vote goes to Visibill :)
You may want to do a search, this has been pondered often.

Bob
Wellington is right, but why not just stick with the classic Kosloswki bill switch. Most others came much later.
Hi Face,

You can look for similar topics [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_results_posts.php?search_id=1037774&start=0]here[/url].
Kevin King has one of the best looking bill switches. It is so smooth and no pauses durring the "moves."

He has a video called Money Morph. http://www.magicsmith.com
I like the version that Michael Ammar teaches in his book--The Magic of Michael Ammar.
For laymen I do the Koslowski Bill Switch. For magicians, sometimes I'll do Berry's Lightning Switch. It really catches them off-guard.I'm not much of a finger flinger so it's really a hoot for me when it happens.
Frankly, for laymen, a shuttle pass is pretty hard to beat.
Message: Posted by: Jim Stan Magic Man (Jan 3, 2006 08:06PM)
The only one I currently use is one from Jay Scott Berry using the cloaking device. I just received the Manuel Muerte (Flicking Fingers) DVD which has his version of the $100 bill switch. He has an interesting wiping motion to change the bill.

Jim
THINK ABOUT THIS... why in the world would you add a gimmick, like a TT or whatever to switch a bill?

Makes no sense.

If you ever saw Johnny Paul do a switch you saw real magic and he didn't add or take anything away in the way of a gimmick.

The Koslowsky, with a TT is horrible from a theatrical point of view... you are challenging the audience to catch you and it is not magical... :kermit:
I now use Changeabill by Fred Berthelot. The most amazing bill change I know of.

Go here for more details:
http://www.fredmagic.homestead.com
Kevin King Money Morph...
Sam Tabar, thanks for the link;)
[quote]
On 2006-01-03 22:34, MagicChris wrote:
I now use Changeabill by Fred Berthelot. The most amazing bill change I know of.

Go here for more details:
http://www.fredmagic.homestead.com
[/quote]
I just got this and it is quite an impressive approach to the genre. Besides a great bill switch I really like how the method can be applied to other effects and routines that have nothing to do with a bill switch. Brilliant thinking here.
Again, great switch, very well produced DVD and nice bonus effect to boot.
Highly recommended. (not a paid endorsement-lol)
[quote]can be applied to other effects and routines ... great switch, very well produced DVD [/quote]
Fred impressed me [b]a lot[/b] by generously crediting me "DM" (and others) for some of the extra moves and ideas. It was unexpected ... he is a real gentleman and he put a lot of work into the disk!
I used to watch Danny Archer do a bill switch at "Philadelphia Magic" back in the 80's. No gimmicks, not entirely sure if this was his own or a modification of someone else's......it was indeed very magical!
Will there ever be a demo of changebill. For just about every other bill swithc there is one
I would be interested to know Pete Biro's response to 21st Century Bill Transposition by Eugene Burger, and its adaptation by David Parr. Clearly, these two gentlemen have a different opinion based upon their experience, regarding using gimmicks. I am practising Eugene Burger's approach, but I must admit, being fairly new to magic, I like your idea of the simple shuttle pass.

kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
I quite like using CREAM by Sean Fields, its quite a good visual change.
It uses a different sort of gimmic (one I have never seen before anyway).
In a way I suppose it could even fool an of guard magi ,one that's used to seeing it done with a T.T anyhow.
Any one else out there have an opinion on cream?
Dave.c
Hi Michael. I not sure if your question will generate much response in this thread. What seems to be under discussion here is the bill switch, wherein a single bill transforms into a different type of bill, as in Mike Koslowski's "$100 Bill Switch." U.F. Grant's "Slow Motion Bill Transposition" and its descendants, including my version, "Slow-Motion Swindle," and the version I developed with Eugene, "Twenty-First Century Bill Transposition," are effects in which two different types of bills appear to change places. The focus of this thread appears to be on transformation effects rather than transposition effects.
Hi, David, right, forgot the distinction! But, I still was surprised at the dismissal of a prop helpful for a switch.
Great seeing you at Eugene's lecture the other day!
Mike
I still like Kosloswki bill switch as in Ammars book.
My ending is to have the assistant hold their hands palm up at the change I drop the opened bill into thier hands. There's usually a double take from the bill to my now palm out hands and then back to the bill. For this reason a TT is my preference and it is never noticed.
I won't mention the presentation but it's usually a five to one and I'll give them four singles or exchange the one for a five from my wallet.
[quote]
On 2006-01-03 22:26, Pete Biro wrote:
THINK ABOUT THIS... why in the world would you add a gimmick, like a TT or whatever to switch a bill?

Makes no sense.

If you ever saw Johnny Paul do a switch you saw real magic and he didn't add or take anything away in the way of a gimmick.

The Koslowsky, with a TT is horrible from a theatrical point of view... you are challenging the audience to catch you and it is not magical... :kermit:
[/quote]

Boy Pete you sure know how to kick a man when he's down.

What percent of magi really think about performing from a "theatrical point of view"?

;)

John
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Jan 10, 2006 08:19PM)
If I just want a changing bill effect, I'll use the tt switch from Ammar. However, usually I'm performing my own routine in which two signed and borrowed bills change places in the specs hand. In this routine, I use a modified no tt switch.
Josh Jay has a nice handling of a bill switch on his recent DVD's.
This isn't on the topic but does anyone know how to contact Jay Scott Berry? He seems to travel a lot. I'm after one of his CD's. Thanks
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Jan 16, 2006 02:38PM)
http://www.jayscottberry.com
Thank you Michael!
Visi-Bill gets my vote.
I personally have added Daniel Garcia's "Twisted" to my routines. It is a great, no gimmick, bill switch. I am a huge advocate of the Koslowski Bill Switch when doing a TT switch.... JPV
Berry's Lightning switch is now on my to-do (to-learn) list. Very nice. Does use his cloaking device.
Chevire
Lonnie Chevrie's (version of Juan Pablo's bill switch) is my favorite as well. I just received the book [i]Switch - Unfolding the $100 Bill Change[/i] by John Lovick, though, and look forward to the read.
Johncesta... been away from this thread... not meaning to kick someone when down... BUT... any time you perform, I beleive you have to think of it from a theaterical sense... ie: you are PERFROMING. Recently saw John Carney do a bill switch and it was fantastic. What was it? The Koslowski without a TT as expained in the original booklet. It is just Carney's perfect handling and touches that make it seem like you never lose sight of the bill.
Just check out John Lovick's no gimmick bill switch. I'm sure it's in the new "Switch" book. Saw him do it recently at WMS and it's awesome.
I use Roger Klause's handling that's based on Bill Koslowski's original trick. I learned it from the the book, [i]The Magic of Michael Ammar[/i].

I change their bill to either a million Dollar bill or a billion Dollar bill! I purchased these at [url]http://www.themillion.com/[/url]. These are great to use in other bill tricks too.
There are quite a few out there I really Like:
[list]
[*]Chosse's
[*]Chevrie's
[*]Arthur's
[*]Berthelot's
[/list]

(And mine!)
Not sure who I saw do it in a lecture, but it did use a TT, the switch was actually made on the last fold of the one , then immediately unfolded to show the larger bill,very visable
Danny Archers 1 to 100 is my fav.Been doing it for almost 20 years since he was at The Philadelphia Magic Co.
Eric
I can't believe nobody has said Hundy 500.
I always use Manuel Muerte's gimmickless bill switch. Totally impromptu...no need to carry a TT.
[quote]
On 2006-07-08 04:00, tunafish wrote:
I can't believe nobody has said Hundy 500.
[/quote]

I agree with Hundy 500, it's awesome. Also, Handy 500 and Juan Hundred bill switch are good. Hundy/Handy are very easy to perform and get great reactions.
I like the ungimmicked $100 bill switch the best because it is impromptu and the audience loves it.
Hypnobill
; )
Kerpa: I can't comment on what Eugene Burger is doing as I have not seen it.
I have a real passion for bill switches. To me and to many of the people that I have performed for its what a real magician would most likely do. I can't count the number of time when I have took a $ 1 dollar bill out of my pocket and was asked sarcastically if I could change it into a $100 dollar bill? When I proceeded to do just that the responds has always been more than what could be hoped for!

I constantly practice and perform a varity of bill switches but the Hypno-bill is the one that I never leave home without! What's in your wallet?
I have done a lot of research into bill switches. And for anyone who is looking for the real work, SWITCH is just a wonderful book. I personally have always been uncomfortable the tradional $100 bill switch (Valdo/Koslowski/Klause) because of the use of the TT and the tight handling that has to happen in order to hide that gimmick. Also folding a bill into 16ths has always felt so unnatural to me. Who does that? In half, sure. In quarters, why not? In eights, well maybe. But 16ths? Come on. How can it be a Visual bill switch, if the bill is a 16th of it's orignal size. Lovick goes though the history and a mess load of varations on the original handling. Much of it is overkill, and for anyone who has spent anytime researching switches, much of it is rehash. But it is still a wonderful book with some nice handlings. So what is my favorite switch? The one that works.
Spackle I'm interested, have you found a bill switch that is comfortable and right for you?
Another vote for Hypnobill!