(Close Window)
Topic: Ammar - $2 to two $1 bills
I've recently learned this and am very impressed with the reactions from the audience. Do you do this and what is your opinion of the effect? Do you have a special patter or story to use with it?

Thanks

Craig
Craig, is this an original Ammar effect? Is it similar to "Two Dollar Window"? Do you use a TT is this routine? Questions, questions!
Craig, is this in his book or lecture notes?
The Two Dollar Window, which I have and it is great, is demo'd [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=956]HERE[/url] ....
It was on his Early Ammar World Class Close-up Volume 2. The Video was on sale for $10 and has a lot of other good magic on it, so it is a better deal then the $2 window. Do a Google search and you should be able to find it. Michael explains that it is an original version of another effect. There is no TT used in Michael's effect. It is similar to the $2 window, but done differently.

Craig
For the record,
the so-called "two dollar window" is another witty Rip-off of the unethical Penguin's.
Mickey - I wasn't going to say that, but that is what I was thinking too.

Craig
This is of of the items that I carry with me in my checkbook. It never fails to yield good reaction. I tend to use it as a quick trick before or after two card monte and Scotch and Soda.
[quote]
On 2006-01-07 13:33, mickey.w wrote:
For the record,
the so-called "two dollar window" is another witty Rip-off of the unethical Penguin's.
[/quote]

I think this marks the official start of the 2006 Penguin bashing season!!!!
:evilgrin:
Ammar's Two Dollar Bill Tear is a modification of a trick from Jerry Mentzer's Close Up Cavalcade books. I forget which volume...

The Two Dollar Window appears to be a weaker variation of these tricks, from the video.
It's in the first volume of "Close Up Calvalcade" I learned Mike Ammar's handling from "Encore III". This is one of those items I use to do all the time, I'll have to break it out again.
It can also be found on one of his Easy to Master Money Miracles...not sure with volume though. In regards to the original post, I love the reactions to the effect. However, I'm interested in hearing some ideas for patter besides the "they stopped making them cause people would rip them in half to make change" bit.
I'm with dramafiji - I also would like to hear ideas on different patter. I've been thinking about it but haven't come up with anything that I think is better yet.

Thanks

Craig
I use 2 $5 bills to a $10 bill and I sometimes go with the "five'll get ya 10" patter - as $2 bills are far less commonplace, I switched to 5's to a 10 years ago. You could of course do 2 $10's to a $20 etc. Using the $5's brings less suspicion in my opinion. Either way, it is a fantastic pocket or wallet effect to have with you everywhere. When I have traveled to Canada and Mexico to perform, I easily made up a quick set with local currency.
I do the two dollar window -- I love it. I would like to see Ammar do it and see his method...but alas....I don't have the tape and all my money is gone from christmas!
I learned this trick from Easy to Master Money Miracles Vol. 2 about 7 years ago. I've been performing it ever since. I pretty much use the patter supplied with the trick, but injecting some of my own lines and personality. It is a very strong trick.

To strengthen this effect, I always follow it up by saying, " some people seem sceptacle when a magician uses his own props...how about if we try it again...but this time we'll use your money". I borrow a $20 or higher and change it into a $1
(my presenation for $100 bill switch). My feeling is the specator is thinking...if he could do that with my money...then he can do that with any money...including the trick they previously saw with the $2 bill.

Rich B.
Rich B. - I like that.

Thanks

Craig
And you give them the 1 right ;)
Baskitboy5,
I would never do that to an audience...and try and walk away with there money.

I used to present the $100 bill switch traditionally. I always had a problem changing $100 back to a $1. I tried different ideas...but if you could really change a $1 into a $100 why in the world would you change it back.

I also had a spectator try and keep the money once...not a heckler, a women that was a little "slow".

Now when I change a higher denomination bill into a $1, the spectator is begging for me to change it back...its easy. Also this presentation allows for some nice jokes and by-play.

Rich B.
Wow, I've been using that $2 bill trick for more years than I can remember. It was always my opener in a bar because of the visual change and the lightening fast effect. It was a great way to read someone's reaction to magic. I've found that for many people the next thing they say to you is, "can you change it into a hundred???"

Now a days I wait for that line and have "Bill Breaker" ready, made up with a $100 dollar bill and quickly do the basic presentation of transforming a 1 into a 100... works great. That $2 bill trick still is the perfect opener IMO.
Yes, Ammar's version is his book large format book. Worked it out in the 1980's, and it is a very good routine and trick the odd Two Dollar Bill to show people. It is very magical, and the Two Dollar bill draws much interest from people.
Hay I have used This as My opener For Tables For Over 35 years. And when Ammar Came Out with his Handling I started Using It! :)

You wale up to a table And say " Hay Did Anyone Here Lose A $ 2.00 Bill! " Most of the time They Will say No! then I say " That's ok all I found Was two One's" If they say Yes Sorry All I Found was two One's! It's worked great for me! :)
Bill: Do you mean The Magic of M.A.? If so, do you know the name or the page number?

I do a two dollar window type change of two $1's to a $100. It seems to have a much bigger wow factor this way.
My patter is that someone showed me how to make it look like I have more money; (fold and display the increased thickness), and if I keep folding it, it looks like I have even more money; (display the even thicker wad of money). But the trick is to be able to unfold it, and have it still look like a lot of money (display the single $100). Wait a minute, what happened? I only have one bill now (as I show both sides of the $100). I'll have to work on that (and put the money away)

John
This is available via download on Michael's website: http://www.michaelammarmagic.com/2-Dollar-Bill-Tear-Expansion-of-Texture-DL-2.htm

It comes packaged with his Expansion of Texture video - both for $3.82. :)

Merry Christmas!

Jim
I use the "they don't make these anymore..." idea, but build it up a bit more. I tell people they don't make 2 dollar bills anymore because they were unstable - they broke down too easily.

I demonstrate what I mean by folding the 2 and putting it in the spectator's hand. I tell them their hand represents a pocket and have then squeeze and rub the 2 emulating how the bill would be pressed and moved within the pocket, wallet or purse. They open their hand to find the 2 has "broken down into it's component parts". Comment that most ones they see used to be 2 dollar bills.

This way the spectator is involved, with the change happening in their hand. Less of a quickie, but I think with more impact.
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
I use the "they don't make these anymore..." idea, but build it up a bit more. I tell people they don't make 2 dollar bills anymore [/quote]

Except they do still make $2 bills.
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:
Except they do still make $2 bills. [/quote]

Shh, let's keep it secret. Most people have no idea. ;)
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
I use the "they don't make these anymore..." idea, but build it up a bit more. I tell people they don't make 2 dollar bills anymore because they were unstable - they broke down too easily.

I demonstrate what I mean by folding the 2 and putting it in the spectator's hand. I tell them their hand represents a pocket and have then squeeze and rub the 2 emulating how the bill would be pressed and moved within the pocket, wallet or purse. They open their hand to find the 2 has "broken down into it's component parts". Comment that most ones they see used to be 2 dollar bills.

This way the spectator is involved, with the change happening in their hand. Less of a quickie, but I think with more impact. [/quote]

The way Michael Ammar instructs to make the gimmick, the $2 and one of the $1's are permanently attached. That would make it extremely difficult to do in a spectator's hand without exposing it.

Jim
I have my own way of getting into this trick. I start by saying "want to see the first magic trick I've ever learned?" then I downplay it a bit by saying its not very good and easy to figure out. I take the 2 one dollar bills, display them, then wave them in the air lining the bills up (one bill behind the other) showing one has vanished. Then I use the famous line "now the hard part, bringing the vanished $1 bill back". Then I say that I knew the trick wasn't that good and I needed to get better. "If I can make both bills vanish, that would be a pretty good trick? right?" Then I go into the actual routine. They are expecting a bill vanish and I give them a bill change. They don't see it coming. It works well for me...
I contributed this to the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on June 1, 2013 and the method can be found there as well as in Secret Sessions of this forum

Perverse Two Bill Trick

Effect

1 “Thanks for dinner fellows. I hope I gave you good advice tonight.”

“Thank you. You did give us good advice. You always do. How about a trick? You didn’t do one trick at dinner.”

“Okay. I learned a new trick this weekend but I think I should have practiced it more. Well, I’ll try it. Each of you guys take out a dollar bill and crumple it up into a little ball and put them on the table.”

2 “Okay now watch. I put one bill in my left hand and the other in my pocket and if I snap my fingers---both bills are in my left hand. I’ll do it again.”

3 The magician repeats what he did and again both bills are in his left hand.

4 The magician repeats what he did a third time but this time only one bill is in his left hand. The magician is confused and he scratches his head. “Wait a minute – this is weird – look at this—”

The magician opens the single bill and instead of it being a dollar it’s a two dollar bill.

5 The magician is confused. He takes out his wallet and removes two dollar bills that had obviously been crumpled and straightened and returns them to the lenders.

Discussion

I had contributed this (without the Perverse Magic slant) to Apocalypse and appears
there in the July 1996 issue on page 2671.

As noted there, this is basically the Two Bill Trick published in the May 1949 issue
of Hugards Magic Monthly. But it has a simplified handling.

I would like to point out that there is an effect by Lu Brent in the November 1948
issue of that magazine called “Two Into Ones” the effect of which is that a two
dollar bill is “torn” in half and each hand holds a one dollar bill. As I said in the
Apocalypse contribution, I feel that a two dollar bill, being unusual should best be
used as a climax to a routine because if introduced at the beginning attention will
be directed to it rather than to the effect.

The plot “one in the hand- one in the pocket” is often done with sponge balls but it
can be just as effective with crumbled dollar bills.

One more point. At the end I remove the two dollar bills that had been crumpled
and straightened and many will think that these are the bills that were used before
(though I don’t claim at any time they are those bills. I mentioned this on this
thread above October 1, 2008 under “20 to one”.).

Method
Does anyone have an opinion about Bill Pryor's [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owPSybzIHNQ]Impossible Dream[/url] as compared to the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzf-ZZHSTMc]Ammar routine[/url]?
I prefer Ammar's routine
One of my favorite thing to do early on in a show is to borrow from spectator a 50, 20 dollar bill and split it to 2 $1 dollar bill, then reveal the bill is in a impossible location.
This is a great effect, as taught by Michael. It takes some practice, though, to get it going smoothly.
After changing two 1's to a $2 bill, can you give the $2 bill to the spectator?
No. It is gimmicked to the hilt. (Unless you can pull off a switch with all eyes burning your hands!)
The way Michael Ammar instructs to make the gimmick, the $2 and one of the $1's are permanently attached. That would make it extremely difficult to do in a spectator's hand without exposing it.

Jim [/quote]

Jim,
The bills are un-gaffed in my routine. I was not addressing a handling for Ammar, just a premise for the effect in general.
I think that if the $2 was given away, the recipient would hold onto it and it would make a good conversation piece. With your name , and possibly your phone number stamped on it, it would make an effective business card.
Dave, sorry. I was basing my post on the topic title referring to Ammar's routine. Meaning that his routine wouldn't work in a spectator's hands.

Thanks!

Jim :)
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Dec 15, 2016 12:55AM)
I just learned this from a friend. He showed me some subtleties and it amazes me how good of reactions it geta
It's still a great effect!
I do a similar one (I think the point of attachment is different). I start claiming that I will make Thomas Jefferson stand on his head (a la the old folding trick) but in the end the $2 becomes two one dollar bills.

After that I say, "Lets do something else" (as if I'd like to move on from my mistake) and put away the gaff and do something with the other bill. It could be a T&R or do a quick (pre folded and unfolded so the folds are already to go) origami elephant fold. Anyway, going on to something else really takes all the heat of looking at the bills even done close-up.

You can also have another un-gaffed bill to switch in the pocket where you place the gaffed bill and follow with something else with the "other bill". I have done this but frankly it is not needed and 3 $bill bits in a row is more than I wanted. I was just running when no one was chasing.

-Mary Mowder
I think that I would prefer changing 2 borrowed $1 bills into a $2 bill, and hand it to the spectator in a fair exchange. The $2 bill is rare enough that it would probably be held on to and shown to others.
Does anyone know if that's covered in 'Switch'?
I think that if you use a gaffed $2 bill, it would be easy enough to switch it out for an ungaffed bill, at least with some practice. If you are doing walk-around and giving out the bill as a keepsake, it is probably better to use $2 bills rather than tens, unless you are getting paid a LOT.
You can also find Ammar's effect on volume 2 of "The Magic of Michael Ammar, World-Class Close-Up" from L&L Publ. It is the tenth effect, called $2 Bill into 2 Ones.
I realize I am resurrecting and old thread from 2017

I am only doing this in that many here are interested in $2 bill tricks.

I was not aware of this thread and recently made aware of it.

MY Illusion of Fusion is a No gimmicked bill switch used by many pros and some top pros have stated its the cleanest and most real looking switch out there.

you BORROW 2 one dollar bills and then turn it into a $2 bill and then give the spectator the $2 bill and your clean. think about that. you borrow the money and then morph it and give it back in its changed form.

I invented this over 30 years ago and has been a staple in my shows since. I released it on DVD back in 2005 I believe and have shared it in my lectures all over America.

if you have any interest and would like to see a performance or more details feel free to contact me.

ps I showed this to Michael Ammar many years ago and he loved it. called it diabolically clean and clever. He even asked me to repeat one of the moves as he couldn't believe it went right past him LOL.
Eugene Burger called it the best switch and how wonderful the spectator gets to take home with not just a great memory but the actual magic too.

thanks for reading
Sam