(Close Window)
Topic: Virtual Soundman
Need an advise from all of you here :)

After researching & comparing most of the products on the market such as the showtech by Kerry Pollock....etc, I decided to go for the Virtual Soundman: Icue Duo as recommened by Guy from Camirand Academy of Magic since I bought their Music for Magicians book/cd & Designer Textures CD.

But I have a question..since I am in control of the show, I do not want the audience to suspect any movement that I am in control the music myself...

I only have 3 choice:

1) if I opt for the Wireless Foot Pedal on the floor & hide behind the prop... , I still need to press it everytime when I go behind the prop, audience can sense something is not right & movement is not natural.

if I opt for the ankle strap...my ankles will need to come into close proximity to activate, it seem a funny position/ not natural on stage to activate.

If I opt for the Revolutionary Transmitter with the NEW Extra Click-Feel in my pocket, I will have to press it every time...hence not hands free.

Though I have 2 assistant helping my show, I still prefer to be in control of the music myself to ensure a 100% success rate in music sequence cos I change my act all the time for different audience.

What I like about the Virtual sound man is the Large LED located at the DJ console, looks very professional...& the DJ can rest, we can control all apsect of volume , tracks sequence, Forward and reverse tracks ,Fully Automatic Pause! Fades
and MORE!

Any advice from expert out here, which is the best way to go...thanks for any input:)

Warmest Regards
dove-boy
I have been using the VSM for about 4 years now. I have the remote clipped near the front of my belt for easy acess. I don't even try to hide the button pushes but after the show people still ask me who controlled the music.

I would recommend you clip the remote to your belt and have an ankle switch for those odd moments when your hands are full.
I have an iCue Duo with the click/feel transmitter and I, too, recommend you clip it to your belt and use it that way. It's very subtle movement and most people think you're adjusting your pants or vest.
I have only had it a couple of months but have been using it and it has made a big difference. I use the click-fell tranmitter the same way as MikeDes and Michael Messing. I also use the ankle switch with ease.
I use the MiniTech from by Kerry Pollock and find it ideal for my needs. The ankle strap remotes are great. You might think they would be awkward but they are not. They are easy to activate and the foot movement really is so suble. No one will ever notice. Even when I have been very blatent with my foot movements no one has ever picked it up (and eagle eyed kids always tell you when they notice things like that).

I use 2 small button remotes in each front trouser pocket as well. I use 2 because whichever hand is free and which ever way I am facing & can select the most descreat pocket to use. No one has ever picked up on my hands going into my pockets to cue or fade the tracks either. Just make sure you have low cut side pockets on your trousers not jeans style front pockets. Jeans style pockets are awkward to slip your hand into.

I have a good frined who has the Icue Duo & he has had nothing but problems with it. He had some pretty lousy service & rude treatment from Kelly Duro and was almost in tears when he came to me for advise.

I know a lot of people find they are great but I guess it depends on whether you get a dud or not & what kind of after sales service you can expect.
Dove-Boy,

No matter what model you get, button pushing in your pocket, or ankle touching is not obvious to the audience. Most likely the audience will be looking at your face, or your props, or your beautiful assistant... they will not be looking at your hand at your side, or your ankles briefly touching. Plus the more you use it, the more comfortable you will get with when to push the button, how to shift your weight, etc...

And, even if the audience DID see you push a button, so what? I don't think it's a big deal...

Truth is, once you start controlling your own music, you will never be able to trust a sound person again... no offense sound people.
I have used a Floor Mat switch with my StageCue http://www.stagecue.com (which also has a large pro display) before. It is low profile and allows you to simply walk certain paths on the stage without stopping in stride.

Are you using an iPod or MiniDisc?

I agree with Andy, Ankle switches work great and do not look awkward.

I am aware of two new Controller products coming on the market soon. I am Beta Testing one for a company and it works great. I think they will knock the socks off everything else with a full text display of your song and playlist for less than the cost of current products.
I spoke to Bill 33 mins last nite...yes, he recommened me to use Minidisc.

Will opt for the Ankle & new button transmittter...with the new model Sony Minidisc 10.

btw,Bill told me about the problems Andy's friend faces...Is NOT VSM fault....now my concern is to know if any latest model will be out imagine after buying, a new model launch....though I have a 5 weeks to change to this new model e.g......thanks for all the replies......finally no more sound man for me :)

Warmest Regards
dove-boy
Hi Glodmagic :)

Any idea what is the price of the the co. you are teating witht he new product.....that knock the socks off everything else with a full text display of the song and playlist for less than the cost of current products.

When will it be launched?

Thanks
doveboy
Personally, Joe-YU, if you are still looking I would go for the Show tech, Mini tech or the Mp3 tech from http://www.wirelesswizardry.com/product.htm
It might cost a little more but you are buying quality and you know its going to work!

It's like they always say ..."you get what you pay for!"

Good points Andy Walker you are not wrong!
I have used the Virtual Soundman 7.5 for the last two years with no problem.
It's easy to use. No programing. Just plug in and play. It gets my vote.
I also have the VSM 7.5 and haven't had any problems with it. When I contacted Kelly, he was very professional and answered all of my questions. I've never had any problems with the unit going to "sleep" after long periods of waiting for the show to start. Outside of props, it's been the best investment I've made in years for my show. Having confident control of my music, allows me to relax, knowing the music and SFX's in the show will be there when I need them.

Ken
Doveboy,
If you must use Minidisc I would not wait for the new products and continue to look into existing products as recommended here.
Are Minidisc players popularly sold in stores in Singapore? They have stopped selling them in popular stores here in the US and Sony has stopped production of the Minidisc in Japan

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=154380

http://www.mp3.com/stories/3010.html

I love the Minidisc and if you have one the VSM would be the way to go. If you are looking to the future an iPod, Laptop, Memory card, or other (future) system would be the route because getting an emergency replacement player may be an issue with MD. Given your timing needs I think you are on track sticking with your decision.
Hi Everyone :)

Thank you so much for all the inputs, private messages, long personal e-mails...deeply appreciated! :)

Hmm, frankly sopeaking, now I am very very confused....should I go for Mini Tech OR Icue Duo....everyone has their own true encounter & experience.....guess, I will make a few more research.....

btw, I noticed also there are 2 VSM on sales on Magic auction...so far no one sell their showtech...minitech...anyone who own an ICUO duo, I would be very appreciated if you can share with me the true story behind this item...it is really worth getting...........??

I would deeply appreciated if anyone who has some unplesant expereince, please share with me, cos I do not want to waste my money on something that is not reliable.....hmm...

Thanks again for all your time :)

Have a great day! :)
doveboy
Hi Dove-Boy.

I have the Icu Duo and it is definately worht getting. Have had no problems and I come with a warranty and excellent servie.

People who %$&* it off have very likely never used one. They have their wireless wiz stuff so why would they need a VSM. They just become 'fanboys' who look down on anything other than the product they have. Very similar to xbox and playstation fans.

Higher price does not mean better quality. I can mean a number of different things. Higher overheads perhaps?

I went with the Icu because I thought it was the best for me. It works fine and does the job. Im sure wireless wiz products would to but from the research I did on bith the Icu Duo was better for me.

don't let anyone tell you that the VSM staff are rude because that is definately a load of %&*4. Kelly is in my top 3 of best, nicest and most polite people to deal with over the net.

You will not be wasting your money with a VSM, but the best thing is to look at both products, maybe contact both companies, look at your budget and most importantly of all, don't listen to 99% of the people on this forum :)

I have the ankel swith and click-fell remote so please ask or pm me if you have any questions and I may be able to help you.

Darius