(Close Window)
Topic: FISM 2006
So who will be attending this year's FISM apart from the great artists mentioned on http://www.fism.com? Hope to meet some of you here.
I got my ticket for Christmas and I can't wait, it's going to be fantastic. I can't wait to meet lots of new magicians. I spend a lot of time in Las Vegas and I don't know anyone out there so I'm hoping to make lots of new friends.

Diane
I'm registered for FISM and can't wait to go to Stockholm. I've been there before and it is an absolutely beautiful city. The weather should be great that time of year and it will be great to hang out with a few thousand magicians.

Look forward to meeting some of you folks in Stockholm, it should be great!
I am going to FISM!!! I don't know anybody either!!
Yay! I am not alone then. lol.

I can't wait too. Is this your first time to FISM?
I'm going as well, first time! Really looking forward to it. I heard Stockholm can be a bit expensive, so be prepared! See you all there!
I believe it's about the same as it was in The Hague.

Have you heard who's in for FISM 2009? I know Vienna is one of them. I also heard about the US taking a chance at hosting it.
I will be going and rooming with Gazzo, so you know I will have a great time! ...
My wife and I will be attending and are counting down the days. Since this is our first trip to Scandanavia, we plan to spend a few weeks both before and after the convention touring that part of the world, i.e. Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen and the fjords, Helsinki, Tallinn and even may go as far as St Petersburg. We look forward to meeting many of you and welcome your advice on what to see and do.

Renaldi
from Toronto, Canada
I believe there is some tour organised by a magician before the convention. See the forums at http://www.fism.com
I will be there for sure.
I just live 10 minutes away by car or bus from the FISM center itself.
I'm really exited about this, as Sweden is the host for FISM held in Scandinavia for the very first time.

Peo
You are all very much welcome to Sweden and FISM 2006. We will do our best to make you feel good.
On the website http://www.fism.com we have an on-line forum where you can get answers for all your questions regarding FISM 2006, get tourist information and much, much more.
Welcome to the website and to Stockholm and FISM 2006

/John Houdi
FISM 2006 Group
http://www.fism.com
I am counting the days to FISM!

This will be my second and I am as excited now as I was for the first one. I envy those of you who are attending your first FISM, you'll [b]NEVER[/b] experience anything like it in magic!

The only advice I can give you is to plan ahead - if you can, work out what you want to see and when it is.

See you all there.

Best wishes

Peter
:)
Great advice from Peter. It is my second as well, but I am sure the first is always the best.

Posted: Feb 14, 2006 2:19pm
--------------------------------------------
A little bad news. Michael Weber is no longer among the line up of magicians for FISM 2006.
I'll be there, I am about 2,5 hours away with train :)
[quote]
On 2006-02-14 14:19, niva wrote:
A little bad news. Michael Weber is no longer among the line up of magicians for FISM 2006.
[/quote]
Yes, this is very sad. Our person in charge of artists - Christer "El Duco" Gustavsson - has spoken to Mr. Weber several times over the phone and via e-mail and tried to get him to sign his contract several times. He has even sent several contracts to Michael, but he has not replied.
So there is not so much more we can do, unfortunately.
FISM 2006 GROUP
Thanks for the heads up! Too bad :(
Other artists have been added to the FISM line-up. Amongst them Bill Malone and Max Maven.
It's my birthday on the Friday of FISM and I can't wait to make lots of new friends and see lots of cool magic.

Diane
[quote]niva wrote:
Other artists have been added to the FISM line-up. Amongst them Bill Malone and Max Maven.[/quote]

Read that yesterday on the Genii Forum - I can't wait to see them perform again!

[quote]Dizzy wrote:
It's my birthday on the Friday of FISM and I can't wait to make lots of new friends and see lots of cool magic.[/quote]

Muhahahaha!!! ;)

Peter
I spoke with Weber about this on line. El Duco sent him three different contracts, none of them were the deal that was made to Michael which he accepted on the phone. I think the real issue was money and the FISM people changing the deal after he accepted.

Milton
I've never been to FISM, but may have to get to the next one. Has the 2009 venue been announced yet, or is that done at the convention?
That's done at FISM 2006. There is a voting to choose the next country. I heard that Vienna and the US are amongst the candidates. :)
Sue-Anne and I will be there.

Along with fellow Aussies including Andrew Wimhurst, David Jones, Michael Sullivan, Simon Coronel, Anthony DeMasi, Andy Sellenger, Brad Manuel, and Nelson.
US? I thought it was always in Europe, except the '94 in Yokohama Japan.
This is the issue that the board is currently facing. It is a world convention so I think they will take it out for Europe next time. However, when the convention was in Japan, I heard that it had the lowest attendence. Personally, I think they should bring it to Britain, just to disjoint the noses of the Blackpool Magicans club,

Diane
I'll be there. I can't wait to meet you all.
I'll be there for first time ! Very impatient to be there (coming from Bogota). I've also heard that Beijing is a serious candidate for 2009.

:bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes:
That would be interesting.
I've heard rumour that both China and Austria are planning on bidding for the 2009 FISM. It will be interesting to find out who really is bidding, but we'll probably have to wait until we're in Stockholm.

Only 18 weeks to go!!! WOO HOO! :yippee: :vcool:

Best wishes

Peter
Haha, you counted them??? lol
[quote]
On 2006-03-24 08:29, niva wrote:
Haha, you counted them??? lol
[/quote]

Who isn't??? :D :D :D :D

Peter
I am not. I am counting the seconds. :lol:
An idea - how about printing a page with your own post on it, then cutting out your avatar along with the name and number of posts, esentially the whole square to the left of your post - and attach it to the convention badge (in a place where it does not cover up essential info to let you in to the place.

That way you could meet up and recognise each other from the avatar.
What a great idea!!!!

I am the one who contacted you a few weeks ago regarding ebony and ivory remember?

How are the proceedings going?
Well, I'm up to my neck producing the programme book for FISM, along with ads, badges, signage and all other stuff concerning the printed communication aspect of FISM 2006. So, not much time to spare I'm afraid. Also, tonight I just had to put up some new wallpaper (everybody interested make a note :) )

Don't forget to register online at http://www.fism.com
and look at the line up. And don't forget that this is the absolute best time of year here.

I saw an early registration for sale here, grab it. Early registrations have better seats.
I am hoping to go. I have been to the last two. I hope its not too late to register as I have not done so yet. Would hate for it to sell out.

Anelo
Hurry up then!! I mean it!
[quote]
On 2006-03-24 19:13, Anders Moden wrote:
An idea - how about printing a page with your own post on it, then cutting out your avatar along with the name and number of posts, esentially the whole square to the left of your post - and attach it to the convention badge (in a place where it does not cover up essential info to let you in to the place.

That way you could meet up and recognise each other from the avatar.
[/quote]

Niva doesn't need a badge; he's Eugene Burger!
I wish.

No actually that is santa.
It's not sold out yet. My girlfriend just registered last week, but unfortunately, people registering now have to watch some of the shows on a big screen in a different room. Still, it should be great!
Bill

I believe (and I think it's mentioned in another thread somewhere in the Café) that the only show your girlfriend will have to watch on the large screens in the other auditorium is the Final Gala where the Grand Prix winners for both Close Up and Stage will be decided.

Best wishes

Peter
People sometimes leave early, especially at conventions which finish on the weekends to work so ask about and you might get a ticket,

Diane
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm hoping we can at least be in the same room, though I know we won't be in the same section, I have a low registration number. I will be a gentleman and let her sit in my seat for some of the shows. :love:
Registered today. Very excited. Never been to FISM before, so guess I will have to tape my eyes open and hope for the best. Does anybody know if there is some sort of weekly rail card in Sweden? I have been looking around but haven't found anything yet.
Sorry, but what is a rail card?
Three years ago I registered for two persons (my partner and myself)at FISM 2003.
Now my partner is unable to come with me to FISM 2006, so I have a very low numbered ticket (under nr. 170)for sale. I don't have to make a profit out of this situation.
So if you are interested in a ticket at a reasonable price and a very good seat at ALL gala shows, PM me!!!
This is a good chance for those who have not booked yet to get a good seat. Perhaps you should contact Mr Carbone.
I finally registered the other day. :)
I am glad for you.
Anybody here who was already on FISM?
Can anyone tell me how exactly a FISM works for people who want to watch? I would like to go to Sweden but I read on the official site that it is about 5 days. How does the whole thing run?

Every day from lets say 12 o clock til 16 o clock or what? and will it cost anything for a spectator to watch? I have absolutely no idea.

hope you guys can help me. Thanks a lot

Jah
As far as I know you cannot watch unless you pay for the whole convention.

It's a six day convention. The longest one, I think. There are shows, lectures, dealers and competitions. You can check the preliminary programme on the site.

I attended FISM 2003 as well. It was in the Hague and it was a great experience. I believe this is going to be even better than the last. We will see, but it is going to be great for sure.
Memory-Jah, I received the following email to post here.

[i]
Hello,

As the moderator for FISM.COM, here's the info:

In order to attend FISM 2006, you will need to register for the entire
event. There are no day passes or visitor passes for this event. All the information you need to know is available at our webpage at : http://www.fism.com

Please keep in mind that when you register, that it is a first-come first-served basis. You'll be able to see all the shows, with the exception of the final event, as we cannot repeat the final event twice. Here's what you get:

The registration fee entitles the delegates to attend:
- All shows
- All FISM lectures
- All competitions
- Welcome Reception and Gala Dinner

You'll have the ability to see magic all day long for 6 full days. At the
moment, it costs 4975 kronor. It does not matter whether you are a spectator or magician. The prices are the same.

You can read our forum for more information.

We welcome you to attend a magical week in Stockholm

Regards,

Andreas Ulanowsky

Thanks again. I look forward to meeting you!

Regards,

Andreas

[/i]
Niva thanks a lot for the help but what about "you'll be able to see all the shows, with the exception of the final event, as we cannot repeat the final event twice?" I cannot watch the final event??
And how can I imagine the whole thing? Seats in a big hall where I can sit down when a show starts and watch?
Does anybody know any times so far when it will start each day and so on?
And last: Does anybody know how much $ the 4975 Krones is?

Thanks a lot!
Oh, holy macaroni. It is about 500€ which is quite a lot more in dollars.... wtf?? Why the heck is it so exagerated expensive? I would love to go there and know such a thing. I thought it would cost about 50-100 dollar. Oh, man, such a pity.
I think what he meant is that you will have to watch the final event on a big screen because the hall is full.

The seats are usually numbered according to the registration number. Except for the competitions where you will go and sit wherever you want and leave whenever you want.

The times are on the site. Look for programme on the left side of the site.

Yes, it is expensive. Well this is not a 2 or 3 day convention like the others. The price includes al the shows and lectures and Gala dinner. Then there is also the accomodation which raises the price higher. But it is worth it. I really enjoyed myself at last FISM.
Yes, I believe this, and I know it is for 6 days, but I am a pupil and, man, for 500 euro you can get more than a 2 week holiday trip into a sunny country with your friends and all inclusive. I mean this is waaaay too much for non-rich people. I am very disappointed about the high price. I hope one day I will be able to visit FISM.
Agreed, the price is extremly expensive for us who live in asia and not in $ basic income. Hope someday fism will held in asia, like in Japan before.
Luckily I have been in Fism 97, Dresden German. Anyway, Fism is a must convention for magicians.
[quote]
On 2006-05-12 07:00, ssucahyo wrote:
Agreed, the price is extremly expensive for us who live in asia and not in $ basic income. Hope someday fism will held in asia, like in Japan before.
Luckily I have been in Fism 97, Dresden German. Anyway, Fism is a must convention for magicians.
[/quote]

s you was in dresden in fism 97? that's great :)
I ould like to go to asia one day too. of course it would be perfect when combined with a fim, but I doubt it will be cheaper then. so there would be a expensive flight for me then + probably again around 500 euro for the fism show.
how much did you pay in 1997?
Memory, the entrancce I think is about $200.with 2000 more and 200 more dealers, I have a lot of fun there. YOu lucky saty in Europe, you will pay cheaper for the plane.
Here is a little dream I have for FISM; getting Lennart Green, Juan Tamariz, and Simon Aronson (yes he will be there), around the same table with decks of cards nearby, and telling them to go for it... whoohaa :D

Peo
We will hold hostages until they do lol.
Not much time left now...
I can't wait to see you guys. I'll be in Stockholm a week earlier probably arriving there on monday or tusday so if anyone eals is there early and want to get togather let me lnow.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic / Vibono & Mirage
Sweden
I will arrive there the friday 28,i am travelling with my friend rey ben, so maybe we can meet the saturday, it would be nice if also other people come.
It would realy be fun. I would like to meet you guys send me a pm or email me at vibono_magic@comhem.se or info@trolleriakuten.com so we can make some plans.
THAT GOES FOR THE REST OF YOU GUS OUT THERE TO.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic / Vibono & Mirage
Sweden
We are going to arrive there on the 29th early morning. We will have a rest and try to take a look at Stocholm. The Sunday evening we go for the registration.

The list of competitors is up. Who are some of the guys (and girls) to look forward to. I know I will try to watch Lee EunGyeol, Shawn Farquhar, Gregory Wilson, and David Stone.
At the FISM forum John Houdi sugested that we all meet at the Sergel Plazza Hotel as that's where most of the early arivals are staying. I think that it's a great idea since it is easy to find even for those that aren't staying there.
let's put a magic wand or a silk or a deak of cards in a way that we can recognice eachother and lets paint the town, using you favorite color changing method.
Saturday is probubaly the best day for this.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono & Mirage
SWEDEN
Sanday evening I will be going for the registration too. There will be free time to chat and mingle. ;)
The registration for FISM will not open untill Sunday so saturday are not part of FISM. For those intrested there are preformencec twice a day satuerday and sunday by one of Swedens top childrens magic entertiner, Tobbe trollkarl, at Gröna Lund (Stockholms emusmentpark. Also starting the week of FISM there will be preformences by Carl Einar Häckner, one of Swedens top entertainers in magic comedy. He will play 5 shows at Gröna Lund during the week with his Cabaret.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono & Mirage
Sweden
I am looking for a roommate to share my double room at the Scandic Sergel Plaza. This is the Convention Headquarters Hotel. If you need a room, email me at Getsilly@aol.com. Thanks.
Has anybody got any tickets or rooms avaialble for a fism?
Dear friends:
FISM, one of the top magic events of the world, is just around the corner.
Bazar de Magia will as always have its booth in Stockholm. And it’ll be a great chance to launch three products that will be the talk of FISM 2006. We want you to be one of the first ones to know them. So… here we go!

SYKYS
Bazar de Magia has been working for some years now with magic tricks using watches.
First we launched Watch & Wear, a best seller that used for the very first time the “spinning hands” principle (devised by Trevor Lewis in the ‘70s) without the aid of magnets. Unfortunately a rip-off was launched a few years back, but with a poorer quality, post-sale service and way shorter warranty.
Then came Timetrix. Based upon the Stull Watch principle (which originally was a pocket watch) we created a watch that stops at 4 pre-fixed times. Timetrix is a wristwatch, but has a handicap that many aficionados regret: although it looks and feels like a watch it doesn’t show the time.
Both Watch & Wear and Timetrix were worldwide sales successes and are used by many magicians in many countries, including some well known mentalists.
Now it’s time for SYKYS (pun intended).
This watch is also based upon the concept of the Stull Watch, but the really cool innovation is that it actually keeps time. Yes, it’s a real watch!
We worked over two years designing SYKYS, and the outcome is breathtaking. This is a truly diabolic magic weapon. Let’s see:
· You can predict four different pre-defined times (not a sequence).
· Everything can be handled by the spectator.
· Perform over 15 routines by Max Maven, Trevor Lewis, Rick Bloch, Fantasio, Tony Binarelli, Anthony Blake and others.

SYKYS is build upon a fine-quality and fashionable watch (take a look at it in http://www.magia.com.ar/sykys/sykys.jpg). Since it’s a real watch you can wear it as your regular watch. The perfect impromptu-“show-me-a-trick” kind of trick.
We offer a one year warranty and we are soooo proud of this new baby of ours!
We’ll have a few SYKYS available in our booth for the world launch at FISM. Your dealer will have it within the next months.
Watch a video demo at: http://www.bazardemagia.com/sykys/sykys.wmv

Boulevard 54
Last year we launched “Electronic crasher”, a cool device that can be hidden into a card case and break a goblet or glass.
In this new version we hid a similar device into a book. We were proud of it: the device is powerful, it’s invisible, the binding was excellent… and one of our creative guys said: “Since we have a book, why don’t we use it magically”. Back to square one (or forward to square two, actually).
The outcome is a real beauty.
The book is a book test based upon a Max Maven’s idea (Thank you, Max!) and has at least 6 different effects to find out words thoughts by the spectators.
Although the use of the book as a book test is just an additional option you get, we’re pretty sure you’ll love Boulevard 54 (that’s the title of the book). Boulevard 54 is available in English, French or Spanish!
You can find Boulevard 54 at our booth in Stockholm or at your favorite dealer in a few weeks.
Watch a video demo at: http://www.bazardemagia.com/boulevard54/boulevard54.wmv

Automatic funnel
We’re all familiar with the classic Magic Funnel. For those of you who don’t know it by name, it’s the trick where you can produce water from any place with the aid of a funnel.
The problem has always been loading the liquid. If you’ve ever used it, you know that it’s a bother to use Scotch tape and all that stuff. If you haven’t, you don’t want to know.
Now you can forget about Scotch tape and untimely spilling. Automatic Funnel, is the one and only plastic magic funnel with a valve.
There once was a metallic funnel in the market with a hand made valve. Not a professional item.
Automatic funnel has been specially build in hard plastic, with a modern look and looks like any regular funnel. It’s available in chrome and assorted colors.
And as a bonus, we will have some unique magic books in English at our booth too.

The Magic of Ascanio volume 1
The Magic of Ascanio volume 2 (release at FISM)
Adventures of 51 Magicians by Idígoras

Playing Cards Collection by Idígoras:
A Fournier deck with caricatures of the all-time greats of magic, in full color, drawn by Idígoras. The backs are one-way

The Ascanio´s books are available to dealers at Murphys Magic Suppliers only.

These are some of the reasons why you shouldn’t miss our booth at FISM 2006. And as always you’ll find the best tricks and accessories manufactured exclusively by Bazar de Magia… and a few good laughs.
Because magic is our business. But also our passion.

Martin Pacheco & Quique Marduk
Bazar de Magia
Argentina
Wow, only 9 days to go! I am in Dresden, then Berlin, and finally Sweeden! I have been traveling around Europe for about 1 and a half months now, and FISM will be a definate highlight!
This is my first time in Fism and europe, it will be great to catch up with old friends and meet new ones. See you all there!
I' m leaving for Stockholm and FISM tomorow. I know it's one week to early but I cant wait so If you´r coming in early don't hesitat but govie me call and we can get to geather. I can be reached at +46 0730 - 56 78 58. this is my cell/mobile phone so you can reach me there almost any time or leave a massage. oterwise I sugest that all intrested meet up at Sergel Plaza hotel on saturday at 19:30 or so.
For thoses of you that might be intrested in seeing one of swedens top childrens magic entertainer, Tobbe Trollkarl (Tobbe the magician) he has a show both saturday and sunday (and all week befor that for that matter) however this is daytime so if you want to se his show at the amusment park, Gröna Lund, with me and my girlfriend/partner as company again give me a call or send me a SMS.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono & Mirage
Sweden
Only a week left. The suspense is magical ...

Peo
I will also be there. In whih hotel are you staying?
I'm at the Radisson SAS Royal Viking.
Maybe I meet somebody from you there.

Markus
I am leaving next Friday. Will be staying at the First Hotel Royal Star.
I waas asked to post this (Sorry it's a bit late):

Today (the 24th of July) is the final day you can
sell your ticket! I have just spoken with STOCON and
they will not accept exchanges after today,
Swedish time. Those who exhange tickets are reminded
to keep in mind that a 500 kronor fee is charged for
the exchange.

If you want a ticket from tomnorrow onward contact
Stocon at:

info@fism.com

If you should decide to attend FISM 2006, please
contact our personal at info@fism.com . It's only
there you will be able to get help.

I would like to advise you who might still have a
ticket left, to contact STOCON and tell them you
won't be attending. After today there will not be
a way for you to get your ticket changed to another
person. Also be forwarned that attempting to sell
your ticket privately is not advised. The other person's
name will not show up on the list. There will be
a list at the convention center. Only those who have
registered will be admitted in.

Here's the link for the policy regarding the
change of registration:

http://www.fism.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&tid=2&page=4

Kind regards,

Andreas Ulanowsky
Moderator http://www.fism.com
FISM 2006
Apart from the magicians booked for the FISM, and apart from the competitors, do you know any other famous magicians that will attend the FISM as just visitors? like for example Daryl, Michael Ammar...e.t.c. I am reffering to these two because I saw them on them promptional clip for the FISM.
Good question!

Do the dealers count, because Losander is going to be there.
Simon Aronson will be there.
Oh yes! I am happy to meet Losander! I love levitations, so it would be interesting!!

any other names apart from dealers....?
We are leaving Saturday night from Boston and will get to Stockholm around noon. Can't wait to get my registration packet and start planning my week. I only hope I can find enough time in my schedule to keep my girlfriend happy.
You will, you will...
Registration tomorrow (sunday), and then we are on our way on monday for 5 glorious days!
Hopefully me and Ivan can send you all small reports if there is access to computers and internet.
I leave tomorrow (Sunday 30th) and am staying in the Radisson SAS Royal Viking.

Can't wait. See y'all there.

Robin
I leave tomorrow (Sunday 30th) and am staying in the Radisson SAS Royal Viking.

Can't wait. See y'all there.

Robin
I´ve landed in Stockholm. Its great to be here and I´m very excited!
It's unbeliveble hot here in Sweden right now, and have been so the whole last week.
But that didn't stop many of the visitors from scandinavia and the rest of the world to meet up at the registration desk (the only event today) to recive their tickets and bag.
The bag included the very nice and luxury made program book (made by Anders Moden of the Heal & Seald fame). A wallet to have your coins, knifes and packet tricks in. A giant deck of cards, with the FISM logo printed on the backside. A pen. And a brouchure and a map with what you can see in Stockholm during your stay here.
During the registration I saw Wayne Dobson, Jeff McBride, and Gregory Wilson in the crowd.
On the program tomorrow is the following:
Stage Competion
Kevin James Lecture
Jeff McBride Masterclass
Close-Up Competion
Opening Cermony
Nordic Show A
Pavel Lecture
Nordic Show B
City Hall Reception
Bar Magic

Its going to be a busy and hot week (phew)

Peo
Here is the program for the whole week

http://www.fism.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=1&pid=86

Peo
I'm planning on blogging every day from FISM plus uploading any photos I get, you can check it all out on my blog:

http://www.magician.org.uk
Nice blogg morrell!

Peo
How I can get in rmorrell, it's forbiden for me...:(
I spend the first day entirly at the dealer's room, and spent a fortune on books, dvd's and effect's.
The highlights for me shoppingwise was Ascanio's new book, Mark Mason's Come Fly With Me (the most expensive bought for the day), Gazzo's brand new DVD, and Fantasma Magic's "Secret Agent" Magic Case/Set.
If you have the august issue of Genii, you can see the add for the case there on the backside, and what is included.
I had the pleasure to buy the case from non other than Simon Lovell.
In the crowd I saw Max Maven, Bob Sheets, Ali Bongo, Paul Wilson, Henry Evans, and Jeff McBride.
All in all a busy day, money spent, tired feets..... Im' off to the shower now.

Peo
We are blogging regularly from FISM too at http://www.MagicUnlimited.Typepad.com
Rmorrel,

If I click on your address I get the following note:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at http://www.magician.org.uk Port 80

???

Reinhard
Link with photos from fism
http://www.vistaphotoagency.com/11,508.html
Saw Juan Tamariz performance/lecture today.
One word for this magican/entertainer: "WOW".
The room was jammed with magicians.
He completly blowed us away and made us rolling with laughter.
He played his violin for us... DA DA DA DA
And left us with our jaws wide open.
He got a standing ovation.

There is only ONE Juan Tamariz.
Yes sorry the link doesn't seem to work, just try typing it in your address bar or press enter, I will try and put it in the message again:

I think it might be my referrer blocking the Café for some reason, I get a lot of refferer spam so have to block sites that try and get to mine, if you open a new browser window and type or paste the address in it will work.
Just came back from late night bar magic. Lucky enough to watch Gazzo's performance. The room was full of laughters. He's great. He also performed in the concourse outside dealers' room. Should have gotton a big hat....he worthes it.

And, I met Derren Brown in dealer room and luckily he didn't hypnotize me.

Only two days, already very tired.
I'm still tired from the FISM in Den Haag!
[quote]
On 2006-08-01 22:51, Pete Biro wrote:
I'm still tired from the FISM in Den Haag!
[/quote]

I can sympethise with that.
Only 2 days has gone of this one and Im allready exhused ...
Does anyone know who has qualified to the grand prix on Saturday from the micro-magic section of the comp? or is this something revealed at a later date?

w
FISM is documenting what happens on the convention. You will find the photos on this address: http://www.vistaphotoagency.com Here you can see all the photos day by day, and you can also buy any photo you want.
[quote]
On 2006-08-03 08:06, wayneclancy wrote:
Does anyone know who has qualified to the grand prix on Saturday from the micro-magic section of the comp? or is this something revealed at a later date?

[/quote]

I would also like to know who has qualified card magic category too! If anyone has the latest information, please PM me. Thanks!
Helder of Portugal is the World Champion in Card magic.
[quote]
On 2006-08-01 18:29, rmorrell wrote:
Yes sorry the link doesn't seem to work, just try typing it in your address bar or press enter, I will try and put it in the message again:

[/quote]

All if you remove the http:// the link works....odd
Were the winners of micro magic announced yet?
Just got the grand-prix finalists for the close-up from the message board, as follows:

Martin Eisele - Germany - Micro Magic
Shawn Farquhar - Canada - Micro Magic
Helder Guimaraes - Portugal - Card Magic
Rick Merril - USA - Micro Magic
David Stone - France - Micro Magic

Check out what they did and more updates at my blog:

magician.org.uk
[quote]
On 2006-08-04 11:35, rmorrell wrote:
Just got the grand-prix finalists for the close-up from the message board, as follows:

Martin Eisele - Germany - Micro Magic
Shawn Farquhar - Canada - Micro Magic
Helder Guimaraes - Portugal - Card Magic
[b]Rick Merril - USA - Micro Magic[/b]
David Stone - France - Micro Magic
[/quote]

Thanks for the updates!

GO RICK! I am rooting for you!
Have the stage finalists been announced yet?

And the venue for 2009? I am sure many are eager to hear about those too.
Hi Lee,

I think the Stage competitors are as follows, although the sound in the Banquet was appalling, and couldn't hear:

Lee Eun Gyeol - Korea
Gaston - Germany
Sittah - The Netherlands
Pilou - France
Dai Binchun - China

2009 will be in Bejing, which despite some grumblings I am quite looking forward to, it will be an adventure anyway! BTW Jon Marshall says Hi! (we are in the same hotel room!)

Rich.
In the new Special Awards this year created by Max Maven, for people who contribute significantly to the art of magic in a non-performance category, the winners were:

Creativity & Vision Award (Appraising range of creation, not simply in terms of technical invention but also with attention paid to the larger conceptual views of the work.):

Nominees:
Gaetan Bloom
Lubor Fielder
Finn Jon
Dr Sawa
Jim Steinmeyer

Winner: Gaetan Bloom

History & Research Award (Recognising scholarship, assessed both in terms of academic depth and the manner and quality of the distribution of such information):

Nominees:
Vanni Boss
Magic Christian
Eddie Dawes
Christian Fechner
Bill Kalush

Winner: Eddie Dawes

Theory & Philosophy Award (Giving tribute to a person who has approached magic from a viewpoint that is analytical, academic, perhaps even spiritual):

Nominees:
Eugene Burger
Rene Lavand
Eberhard Riese
Juan Tamariz
Tommy Wonder

Winner: Tommy Wonder (collected by Dick Kornwinder)

Congratulations to all especially Hull's very own Eddie Dawes.
The next FISM will be in China.

Cheers

Dave
[quote]
BTW Jon Marshall says Hi! (we are in the same hotel room!)

Rich.

[/quote]

Thanks Rich - say hi back to Jon - I can't make the Edinburgh festival unfortunately!
Rick Merill is the new FISM Grand Prix Winner! (Micro Magic)
Congratulations to the first prize in micro magic Rick!
Rocco was also a winner getting the close up award for "The Most Original Act" -- I am sure he is D'Lighted :spinningcoin:
[quote]
On 2006-08-05 12:19, BrainMagos wrote:
Rick Merill is the new FISM Grand Prix Winner! (Micro Magic)
[/quote]
WOOHOO! Great News! GO RICK!

Here are some pics I took of Rick at Michigan Magic Day 2006:
http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/3813/rick16oj.jpg
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6849/rick26so.jpg
Who won in stage

graham fishman
Grand Prix- Stage -Pilou(Manipulation)-France
Grand Prix Stage--------------Pilou(Manipulation)--------France

Grand Prix Close-up----------Rick Merrill(Mirco magic)----------USA

Manipulation-------------1. Dai Bin chun(China) 2. David Soysa(Portugal) 3. Arthur Trace(USA)

General Magic-----------1. Lee,Eun Gyeol(Rep. of Korea) 2. Die Zauderer(Germany) 3. Dion(Netherlands)

Micro Magic--------------1. Martin Eisele(Germany) 2. Shawn Farquhar(Cananda) 3. David Stone(France)

Close-up Card-----------1. Helder Guimaraes(Portugal) 2. Lodewijk de Widt(Netherlands) 3. Kiko(Spain)

Parlour Magic------------1. Gaston(Germany) 2. Shawn Farquhar(Canada) 3. Julia Guilhem(France)

Stage Illusions----------1. Sittah(Netherlands) 2. Hugo Valenzuela(Argentina) 3. Marc & Alex(Germany)

Mentalism-------------1. No Frist Place 2. Timothy Trust & Julie(Germany)/Juan Ordeix(Argentina) 3. Robert & Emiel(Netherlands)/Jean Thomas Loewe(Germany)
You have to go to the Genii forum and the blogs to read what a DISASTER the final award presentations were. Lots of booing, hissing, and people walking out.
I've heard on the grapevine that Stephen Mulhearn is regretting his involvement as presenter at the FISM awards ceremony following the debacle you can read about elsewhere.

He's normally associated with putting out first class television here in the UK. As opposed to presenting to a roomful of resentful peers.

Please don't blame Stephen. He is carving out a succesful career presenting children's TV and it would be a shame for this event to set him back.
I agree - I have a lot of respect for Stephen. I don't know him personally, but I do enjoy his kids magic shows (says he at 36!) The bad management was not his fault. There was a lot that went wrong at FISM, and I have a feeling it will be my first and last.
Thank god I wasnt there ...
Pete, 2 days made me tired, the whole 6 days' event made me exhausted...and angry.

The prize presentation was simply ridiculous. Contestants shouldn't have been treated in that way. Why should we adjusted so much for the TV crew? Nonsense. Can you imagine doing standing oviation out of NO REASON? Just because the camera crew needed that shot! Really stupid and insulting.

Next FISM will be in China, I'm glad that I'll save a lot of money because of cheaper transportation cost. And that is the only reason why I'm glad. But, the number of contestants and dealers will dramatically decrease ( you don't need to be a mentalist...)

I was also in the 'screen room', watched Norbert Ferre's prediction effect without sound. I couldn't tolerate anymore. The negative atmosphere built well before, since we in that room witnessed how stupid all it was when announcing the close-up Grand Prix in the afternoon. Watching stage final from our room, we watched the big screen with camera shots jumping here to there in WRONG TIMING many times.

People started going to the other room, there was physical contact but NO physical abuse. 1 or 2 FISM staff stood in front of the gate. A guy was real angry and requested to open the gate. Then, the FISM staff was pull from the gate and we went in. Then I didn't know what happened.

But, I and the one who sat beside me (who was also from the 'screen room') were just unable to enjoy the show. We kept looking at the entrance direction and saw whether they could come in as well (of course I hoped they could have come in).

'It totally ruined the mood.'
'Yes.'

And there was a stage in chaos...

It's my first FISM, by the way.

There were many many good things to remember and learn. I enjoyed Gazzo's performance most. I watched both his lectures, 3 times his act. During one of the lecture, he did flourish...one-liners flourishing, which was increditable. He made jokes for everything immediately after audience named. A guy with real talent and really entertaining.
About FISM in general, there was some good and a lot of bad. I wish that this was not my first FISM, because now I have a bad taste in my mouth about this supposedly incredible convention. Maybe I will go to China and hopefully have a better experience.
What a great convention it was. Made many new friends, including Jeff McBride, Anders Moden, Mike Caveney and Simon Lovell.

I am still in Stockholm, and will leave tomorrow evening.

Cu soon.
The awards ceremony sounds like a mess. Even with all of the obvious technical and planning problems it's a shame that people couldn't have been more civil, but then again I wasn't there so I shouldn't judge anyone else or their behavior. I am sure I would have been upset if I had travelled all the way to Sweden to see a shambles like that.
Ok, I just figured it out. No more people go to FISM... all is done for TV and you stay home and watch on TV...

Then, to meet all friends, you go to a Vacation Resort every few years and have no shows, just hang around with all your friends in magic for a week.
Pete,

Ummm...I've to humbly disagree that not 'all is done for TV', but the prize presentation was.

mouliu
Just got back and, like so many have posted, am rather tired so it's long sleep time for me!

Very nice to meet so many new friends and to catch up with old ones. Personally I had a great time there!

Simon
[quote]
On 2006-08-06 20:38, Simon Lovell wrote:

Personally I had a great time there!

Simon
[/quote]

So did I, Simon!

There was some trouble here and there. My gripes boils down to:

There was some sort of cockup with the seating (wich was numbered) during the Close-Up show.

What was called "Bar Magic" was nothing of the sort, It was close-up magic presented in rooms MUCH too small, without any monitors of any sort.

Then there was The BIG cock-up during the Close-Up Finale. This, of course was mostly the responsibility of the TV-People, which more or less "took over" the event. The mood was not good where I was sitting, on the left, because of the camera boom that blocked much of the view. THEN Max Maven was replaced by some "TV-unpersonality" for the presentation of the Grand Prix (Close-Up, which was to be presented FIRST...

THEN we were informed that there was to be a "retake" of the Presentation of the Grand Prix.
When some technician snapped the Trophy from Rick Merrill, (That's what it looked like from my perch) the mood got ugly, and some of the audience got up and left.
And not silently. I don't blame them... It was tasteless in the extreme!

Bjørn
Sorry but I need to say something here. Yes, FISM 2006 was disorganised at times and the TV taping of the Awards Gala was handled badly (essentially it was an 8 hour show with a one hour intermission and a twenty minute intermission).

However, I was ashamed of the behaviour of many of the delegates.

While some lined up to get into theatres, others chose to push to the front, run in ahead of people and act in totally selfish ways. When some people were told by volunteer staffers they had the wrong tickets, they shouted at them, gave them the finger and even spat at them.

No matter HOW BADLY ORGANISED an event is, there are ways to complain without ruining the event for others who may have more tolerance than you do.

I certainly agree that there were parts of FISM I would have run very differently, but the reactions of many registrants (and Juan King makes a good case) simply made matters much, much worse and in my opinion they have lost their right to complain.

It's this sort of behaviour that gives European Soccer crowds such a bad reputation, and it needs to be stamped out immediately.

Booing and hissing is just not acceptable. How would you feel up on stage receiving an award with half the crowd booing simply because they thought their friend should have got first place instead of you? It's very thoughtless behaviour.

Regarding the Chinese announcement - I'd rather be going to Granada, but a vote was held and China won. ACCEPT the decision with grace and diginity. Congratulate the winners whether you intend to go to China or not. They spent an enormous amount of time and money bidding for FISM 2009 (as did the other two countries) so let them enjoy their moment.

As for booing Eric Eswin. I think he handled the reaction with absolute class at the stage awards gala. But for heaven's sake if you don't like what he's doing you can speak to him personally (if you have the guts) or ask your FISM President to vote him out.

I know it's just a minority of "hot tempered" people who feel they need to react in such violent and abusive ways, but if they can't learn to express themselves in a more mature way then honestly, get out of magic.
I was not there (Abbott's colon Economy tour) but I compend your reponse and remarks Tim. Well said.

It seems like this is a recurring problem with FISM convntions. We had the same problem in the states with regional and national conventions. Depending who ran the whole thing, it could be really good or really bad. That is one reason the SAM and IBM went to a national convention commitee with assists from the local groups. It keeps more consistant expertise in place and helps with the planning.

It really makes me think hard if I would ever want to spend that much money to go to FISM.

Richard
It's the old "too many rats" theory. You put 3 or 4 rats in a cage and they get along. You add a dozen or so and before you know it they are killing one another.

The size of a convention, like a FISM, is almost impossible to run smoothly unless the team is really experienced in handling big crowds and events.

Rude behaviour is inexcusable and if I were King, I'd take note on who they were (if possible) and refuse their efforts to come to the next convention.

Regarding China winning the votes.... I have had a few folks suggest to me that they probably "bribed" many of those voting in some form.

I remember being part of the team negotiating with the Salt Lake City people to bring an IBM convention there. They paid for free trips and skiing, etc. for all the members of the Board (who in fact had no vote, but they didn't know that). Our committe, none of us were paid off, had already decided on the site, but they didn't know it.

And it seems the same SLC folks bribed the Olympic committee to get the games there.

We are all doomed... argh...
I can't comment on the shows as I didn't go to any of the organized events except for the banquet dinner (which considering how many people had to be fed wasn't too bad at all). I always go to conventions for the socializing with old and new friends and, in that respect, this years FISM I thought was very good indeed.

I agree with Tim's comments that, from what I heard, a lot of the troubles were caused by a minority (Pete's rat theory!).

As for the China vote I would have preferred Vienna, one of my favorite cities, but, as Tim said, the vote was made and, for whatever reason China was chosen (the suggestion of corruption in politic ... surely not lol) so get past it. Booing and bad behavior won't change anything.

Anyway I had fun so am not complaining at all!

Simon
Overall, I enjoyed my first FISM, including meeting Simon on the train to pick up our packages. Howdy Simon!

I do have to say that some of the negatives were stressful to me. I didn't like it when Eric Eswin was booed and I didn't like it when China was announced as the winner and several loud people booed and whistled. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior from so-called grown-ups. (Though we are talking about magicians, after all). The debacle with the close up show tickets was also an avoidable disaster that seemed to be caused by the organizers trying to please everyone by changing their minds, but in the end, causing chaos and pleasing nobody.

Despite the stresses, I mostly enjoyed FISM, and as Simon said, the individuals that I met were, for the most part, wonderful. I was absolutely touched by an older Japanese gentleman I met on the train. He waited for his wife and my girlfriend to get off the train and would not exit before I did, despite the fact that I was much younger than he. We talked on the way to the convention hall and, in parting, he presented my with a simple business card. This gentleman was none other than the founder of Tenyo. I also had a chance to talk with Ali Bongo, Cellini, Jeff McBride and shared a table at the banquet with Wayne Dobson, his lovely wife and two very nice step-sons. Despite the hassles, the individuals made it very special. The Swedish hosts really tried hard to make everything right and I felt sorry for them, at times, when they were dealing with obnoxious convention-goers. (And not just Americans I should add).
Approximately, how many people attended FISM?

It seems not many USA winners.
2700 attended.
152 acts took part in the competition.
In America, hitting, spitting and even shoving are potentially criminal acts. Though assault (verbal abuse) may be difficult to prosecute, striking or spitting at anyone is battery and an offense that can land you in jail. Perhaps those who committed criminal behavior should be identified and banned from future events, or, at the least, be required to make a public apology and/or demonstrate rehabilitation.

I, for one, would be deeply offended to hear of ANY American delegate who behaved in this manner. I understand that in other cultures, socially acceptable bahavior varies. This, however, is not an issue requiring one to keep an open mind. It is simply wrong to behave in this way. In an international event, we all represent our country of origin and should be expected to conduct ourselves in a professional manner at all times.
[quote]
On 2006-08-07 09:26, Tim Ellis wrote:

Booing and hissing is just not acceptable. How would you feel up on stage receiving an award with half the crowd booing simply because they thought their friend should have got first place instead of you? It's very thoughtless behaviour.

[/quote]

Was this about the stage-finals? I went back to the hotel after the Close-Up Finals. I'd had enough... I was NOT among those who booed, nor did I leave until the "ceremony" was over.
The booing during the Close-Up Finals was NOT directed against the recipients. If the TV-people had got their way, all the chairs directly in front of the stage would have been removed, do you think that would have helped?
Of course spitting, giving the finger etc. is not acceptable behaviour "in Europe", no matter what you may think.

Bjørn
Let's take a look at the good points.

(Please note: I didn't attend ANY of the contests, at such a large event, you have to make tough choices...)

VERY smooth registration process.

Lots of good seminars.

Juan Tamariz' One Man Show.

Well organized Dealer-room.

The banquet show was somewhat marred by sound-problems, but concidering the amount of people to be fed, it went rather smoothly.

Please note: I'm Norwegian, and our relations to the Swedes are somewhat akin to the Scots vs. the English. Nevertheless, I tip my hat to SMC (Swedish Magic Circle), for a job (mostly) well done!

Bjørn
Did anyone go to the Corporate Presentations session? What was it like?
[quote]
On 2006-08-07 22:35, Steve Martin wrote:
Did anyone go to the Corporate Presentations session? What was it like?
[/quote]

I didn't see it personaly, but a friend of my did, and he said it was enjoyable and very fun, in particular Banachek and Bill Malone was hillarious...
Bjorn pointed out:

VERY smooth registration process.

Lots of good seminars.

Juan Tamariz' One Man Show.

Well organized Dealer-room.

The banquet show was somewhat marred by sound-problems, but concidering the amount of people to be fed, it went rather smoothly.

I agree 100%. I also would like to add:

Excellent back stage help to contestants,

Wonderful photo and poster dislays,

Great signage,

Beautiful programme,

Sensational Gala Stage Show,

Classy City Hall Welcome,

Excellent FISM photographer http://www.vistaphotoagency.com/index.php?query=fism
Is there any site where I can read a review of all the acts?
Mafedi,

You can read a review of all the close-up acts on my blog:

I believe Tim and Sue will have a review of all the acts up soon on their website:

http://magicunlimited.typepad.com
[quote]
On 2006-08-08 06:25, mafedi wrote:
Is there any site where I can read a review of all the acts?
[/quote]

[b][url=http://www.magician.org.uk/]Richard Morrell[/url][/b] updated his Blog daily from Stockholm with his thoughts and reviews of all the different acts in the Close Up Competition, lectures and main shows.

[b][url=http://www.MagicUnlimited.Typepad.com]Tim Ellis and Sue Anne Webster[/url][/b] also updated their Blog daily and are going to review all the competition acts as soon as they can get it all typed up.

[b][url=http://opusmagazine.blogspot.com/]Opus Magazine[/url][/b] have also got a blog with their own, somewhat unique thoughts of events at this year's FISM.

Finally, [b][url=http://the-cardman.blogspot.com]I even have a blog[/url][/b] which I will be updating with general thoughts of what went on, as well as my own thoughts on the acts in the Close Up compeition. I'll be updating this once I get a chance (I don't have a laptop, so had to make do with waiting until I got home!).

Hope you find something of interest to read there!

Best wishes

Peter
Richard

AARGH!!! I was busy looking for your url when you posted!

Great to have finally met you face-to-face. Maybe see you at the British Ring Convention in Eastbourne?

Best wishes

Peter
Bonjour my litle magic chums,

That was my first FISM. I thought it was amazing. I am still trying to catch up on lost sleep. It thought for what appeared to be quite an expensive country, the conference was still very good value for money.

I have only one minor grumble about the whole event. If your biggest theatre holds 2000 people, then the number of registrants should be capped at 2000. End of all problems relating to moaning magicians.

Simon, It was great to meet you and share a few jokes and beers. I look forward to seeing your Monday night show next time I'm in New York.

regards

Andy Reay
Other thoughts:

Nick Nickolas had a great POKER game going in the Magic Bar at FISM with Gazzo, Danny Archer and many others testing their skills against each other. Could this somehow become an official FISM event?

AWARDS SHOW - It would be brilliant if, when winners were announced, their names and clips of their acts could be shown on the big screens as they came up to the stage. Also, their names need to be read out one at a time so they can receive the acclaim they deserve, and it would be nice to give them a moment or two on the mic to say thanks.

It was a good idea of FISM 2006 to show old clips on the screens during the Banquet. Maybe next time China could show clips of performers from the competition. It would really add an interesting buzz in the room as people wait to see clips of their friends, acts they missed, and highlights or lowlights of the competition.

CLOSE UP GALA - If acts are to be broadcast on the big screen, give them the option of a monitor they can see so they can have a little more control of what the audience does and doesn't see of their act. Michael Vincent had no idea that the audience couldn't see any of the cards during his act. With a monitor he'd be in much better control.

In Melbourne we had an official 'Convention Host' who introduced shows, did warm ups, made announcements, co-ordinated lines and kept people entertained. He was the face of our convention, people went to him with issues and he directed them on to the staff they needed to speak to. Maybe China could consider hiring a popular performer to take on this role?
Thanks, and what about stage magic? any review?
I was to attend FISM this year and it would have been my first. Reading the posts here, I am glad that I did not attend as I "had visions of sugarplums dancing through my head" I felt that this would be almost surreal.

In reality, I doubt that however it went that it would have matched my dreams. That is the beauty of dreams. They are flawless.

The cameras have to be there to make those who did not get to attend drool and wish they had. They have to show excitement so that the next time more people will attend. It seems that they were more of a hinderance however and more logistics should have been taken into consideration. IE: the lack of cameral coverages on the "Bar Magic Tables". If they can have cameras for the World Poker tour that can cover the table, why not use them here ... it would have added to the excitement and enjoyment.

Ah, well, I look forward to your letter, Peo.
The only thing I truly missed it seems is being with you.
Perhaps we can go to China.... :0)
Raey great to hang out with you too ... I'll look forward to seeing you in NYC! Monday Night Magic is on Monday's (Doh!) which I do every 10 weeks or so. My show, Strange and Unusual Hobbies, is every Saturday night.

Tim the poker was great fun though I'll never forget Danny Archer taking me out of the game when we both had trip aces (he had the higher kicker)and we were both 'all in' ... he is so going down at the next game ... be warned young Archer!

Simon
Simon, I am thinking you have been winning some money from me in the poker game and am leaving me broke.

I was having to hitch-hike back to spain thank you very much!

I think I was something drunk and wasn't paying attention in the game but you are a good player and I don't think you was using some sleight of hand techniques.

But you have been writing a book about cons so I am thinking you know them all. Ha ha.
I had a great time at FISM, but sadly didn't get to see much since I spent most of it behind the Mesika Magic booth demoing his products as well as my "LBB" and "LP3". I wanted to say thanks to all the people that came by and helped my FISM the most successful convention I have ever sold my products at. It was amazing to me how many top pros I got to meet, and how many of them were really cool, down to earth people.

One suggestion for next time would be to have more going on when the dealers room is closed so that dealers can see some of the competitions. Iether way, I had a blast!

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products
Hi guys!

I am back again! I just came back from Stockholm and I have to say that I had a great great time.

excellent organization, nice people, and by far the best convention in compare to the others I have been.

we have to congratulate the commetee for the great work they have done.

Lincoln thanks for the video you shoot me with Max Maven!! it looks great! I will visit your forum and talk about the E.T.

best regards to all the new magicians I have met!

Neo
Ok so there was a few problems but nothing that couldn't be solved. in the end.Me and my girlfriend vorked at FISM, or shall I say SHE worked. She was in charge of the information desk. Most of the problems we ran into was contestent that didn't know were to go, when there rehersal was or what day they were going to compeat. This was for us very strange as all competitors got a written confirmation with all this information some time befor the convention.
I agree that the TV crew was giving us truble, we got to know that the whole Wictoria hall was change the same day as the taping giving us little time to prepare the seat changes some of you experianced. As for the screening and sound problems we didn't have anything to do with it. I know one of the close up competitors didn't were a mike (his choise not ouers) and couldn't be heread in the other room.

I do think some of ower guest ( yes that means you) did behave very badly and quite rude to some of ouer workers. I beleave that if you got a ticket for one room you go to that room and whatch the screen and do not create chaos so we have to call for security wich we had to do during the final close up cometition/show.

Pleas for those of you that are comlaning think twice about what you are saying and if you can do better I look forword to see YOU working 15 houers aday for 7 days stright at the next FISM.
We had some problems but we solved most of them.

Personaly I had a great time there by the way.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono magic / Vibono & Mirage
[quote]
On 2006-08-07 12:43, Pete Biro wrote:
The size of a convention, like a FISM, is almost impossible to run smoothly unless the team is really experienced in handling big crowds and events.
[/quote]
StoCon (Stockholm Convention Bureau) that we used under FISM 2006 are used to bring in large groups. This September they had 24 000 heartsurgeons from all over the world at the same venue we had FISM 2006 and it worked fine.
The surprise here is that 24 000 heartsurgeons are easier to handle for them than 2500 magicians... ;-)
[quote]
On 2006-08-08 10:11, reaymanuk wrote:
I have only one minor grumble about the whole event. If your biggest theatre holds 2000 people, then the number of registrants should be capped at 2000. End of all problems relating to moaning magicians.
[/quote]
True, and that was our option and almost did. The thing was a demand.
So many people wanted to come and some (surprise) went crazy hearing we stopped registartions for a while.
That's why we extended everything and doubled the gala shows, rented more rooms, technical crew, paying barmagicians more and added more barmagicians etc, etc (for a great expence) just to be "nice" to our late registered fellow magicians who still wanted to come.
We informed EVERYBODY registering late that they had to see the last show on a screen and it was there option to agree or not to accept that. We never forced anybody.
OOOPS! Sorry Juan *grin*

Simon
I had a great time. I just recovered from the 6 days and from a minor Swedish flu. ;)

I totally agree with Tim and all others. I did not like the long time doing the standing ovations and applauses and all the retakes, but felt very uneasy with all the booing and hisses.

But I would like to take this opportunity to point out two things which I did not like and would rather not see at the next FISM. This is for constructive purposes and not to just bash.

1) The venues - I did not like the travelling between the FISM venues. It's wasn't cheap to travel by train to the bar magic (I was staying near the FISM place), and although we were given discounts, it was still a hassle to go back and forth and the train stopped at 12.30am and we had to leave the bar magic very early and sometimes it was not even worth it to go at all because the events at FISM went late. I would suggest a FISM like in the Hague, where all the activities take place in the same venue or at least in the same area.

2) The lectures - We had some great lecturers but the problem was the lectures where too short. 1 hour is not enough for a lecture. In the Hague we had 1 and a half hour lectures and even that could be considered a bit short. Many of the lecturers found the 1 hour time short too. Some of them went past the allocated time because we wanted more, but then they clashed with other lectures. So I would suggest a minimum time of 1 and a half hours for the lectures.

I hope these comments are taken constructively and I will post them wherever neccessary in order to be considered for the next FISM.

It was a great experience. Both this and the 2003 FISM had different things to offer. I enjoyed both.
Sue-Anne has finished her report on every single FISM 2006 competitor. It's currently up at http://www.MagicUnlimited.Typepad.com

Take a look!
Sue-Anne deserves a Knighthood for that amount of work!!!

Great work and it was great to meet you both - even if it was only for a moment or 2!

Best wishes

Peter
Yes it IS a lot of work.
Hey Tim, Simon and Peter,

Taking out Simon and Gazzo in the Hold'em event was a blast ... we played two nights and I believe I was the only player to finish in the money both nights ...

It was such fun I will probaly do a Poker Night at the next LVMI convention ...
Yeah sue-anne does deserve some sort of free pass for 2009 for that review list!!!

anyone who did go.. the flickr photo pool is at

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fism2006/ feel free to add your own..

and anyone that didn't.. you can see some of the photos..

Simon.. was great to see you again.. I might be over in new york for some christmas shopping...
Danny, you mean you bet Simon Lovell? lol
Hello all,

First of all: Thanks to SMC for the FISM convention - to me a fantastic adventure! Some small things happened, as noted above, but no real disaster, that I found. I spent most of the time watching the Stage Competition (all of it), the rest of the time in the dealer's room and I also watched all the shows. Great arrengement!

Although I didn't see any of the CloseUp Competition, my brain boiled after all that magic. I wouldn't want to be in the competition jury...

Also: A standing ovation for Sue-Anne, for her fantastic "FISM 2006 Competition Report!" - link above. I'm speechless!

These are my notes for the competition acts that I found appealing to me... for one or more reasons...
(For description of the acts, see Sue-Anne's report)

* Monday
Shawn Farquhar: The lyrics suits the handling of the deck. Nice and cool.
I.MA.GI.A: The floating box was GREAT!
Gaston: Great show! Hilarious! For magicians... But I wonder how this would be recieved by the general audience...?
Xavier Tapias: The robot walks! And the dog. Kind of cool.

* Tuesday
Hugo Valenzuela: Great act. Great theatre! A complete story!
Mikael Szanyel: "The Master Singer" - this was hilarious! What a laugh! Best so far, in my book!
Yamagami Brothers: So young and so skilled!
David Sousa: Cool, calm, collected.
Latko: Nice! Really nice! (Couldn't bike off stage, though... ;)

* Wednesday
Sittah: Lara Croft(?) theme! Well done all the way!
Anton & Landru: Great comedy.
Pilou: The rogue. Excellent production show! Simply Great!
Robert & Emiel: Clever! Really clever! And very well carried out! The theatrical bit was well-thought of!
Xavier Mortimer: Nice and easy...
Jérôme Helfenstein: Shadows. But *what* shadows! Great act!

* Thursday
Jan-Thomas Loewe: Mentalism in 21st century. Today's technology has great potential - I guess Jan-Thomas is only scratching the surface...
Zhao Yuying: Nice productions!
Die Zauderer: My stomach hurts! I can't see through the tears! Laughter all the way!
Duo Mira-Cool-X: Second show to hurt my stomach today. Hilarious!

* Friday:
Marc & Alex: Illusions galore! How many???
Florian Zimmer: Cool and professional (simply skipped the part that begun in a disaster). Nice palmings, nice colorshifts, nice BMX! A REAL BMX!

In My Humble Opinion,
Gene
Thankyou for your kind words about my report.

Tim and I have been travelling the UK this past week and internet has been difficult to find AND expensive...so, since Tim's a speed reading internet freak I've left the 'chat' all to him.

Someone wrote to me commenting that I must have gone insane. I almost did! It wasn't easy, especially trying to catch up on the reports AFTER FISM (since three was little time during FISM to write the reports)when the REAL Santa Claus in Finland distracted me and the UK countryside was calling for my attention.

It was hard work, I didn't get to see anything else but the competitors and gala shows, but you guys make it worthwhile :)

Thankyou again! I truly appreciate the positive feedback.
Sue Ann... I don't know how you do it... great stuff! AS long as you keep going to FISM I won't have to.
Anybody know if there is a DVD video from FISM 2006?

Paulo
There will be a TV show made by a man called Stephen Mulhern. Everybdoy hated him.

here is some clips http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TLATV from the joint youtube/mulhern TV production.
I didn't hate him :)
It has been interesting reading the reports about FISM both here and on other websites. Having attended a number in my career as a magic dealer the same problems always seem to be the cause of complaint. These being over crowding of events, transport to and from the convention centre, and the intrusion of television film crews. I remember in Dresden being told that I could not get to my dealer stand despite the hall being open to the public due to filming. What amazes me is that it takes three years to put a FISM convention together so why are possible problems not spotted. Perhaps the FISM committee could learn something from Blackpool Magicians Club who stage a yearly event and have far more registrants attending.

Tony Curtis
I liked Stephen Mulhern, a lot!

Backstage he was a kind and intelligent man who I was not aware was also a magician.
Backstage he had no ego and was friendly to all...
In fact even after the rude folks booo'd him he was nice and friendly...

I watched some of his stuff on Youtube and it's fun.

The FISM TV Show aired in Belguim the other day and it looks great. I found clips at http://www.dailymotion.com

Cheers,

Shawn
Thnks for the heads up Shawn. It was nice mmeting you at last.