(Close Window)
Topic: The Cups And Balls...?
I have spent years playing around with the cups and balls...
I am now ready to get me a good set.

My question is...

What are the best ones for around a hundred U.S. dollars and where would I find them?

johnny
Get the cheapest Sherwood set he sells. A bit over your price, but well worth it.
In your price range, the Bazar di Magia cups. Most magic shops can get them.
Bill suggested I get a set of Bazar De Magia cups and when I did, I was very pleasantly surprised. In copper, they are a fairly heavy cup and handle well. And I don't think you can beat that kind of quality for that low of a price (around $45). -- I also hear the ones in brass are good as well. Probably even stronger.
I second the motion for the Bazar cups. I have the brass set and am very happy with them. They shouldn't run more than $40-45. Yes, they do look vaguely like Thermos bottle caps, but the audience won't know or care.

If I had my druthers and the necessary dollars, I'd get a Paul Fox-style set, but that's just an aesthetic preference and has nothing to do with the handling or usefulness of the Bazar cups.

With the extra money you save, you could buy Michael Ammar's CUPS & BALLS book or the DVD version, if you don't already have it. Or you can buy a bunch of glow-in-the-dark lacrosse balls to use as final loads with the Bazar cups. SETHB
Where can I find these Bazar Cup's? I would like to see what they look like. Thanks!

johnny
Check: http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
go to the "Regular Cups" area.
Bill
From my limited collection the Brass Bazar cups are the best I have. I also have Morrisey's and Phoenix cups which cost more but aren't as nice. Now you can afford two sets for what you wanted to spend!
[quote]
On 2006-02-03 16:19, johnnymystic wrote:
Where can I find these Bazar Cup's? I would like to see what they look like. Thanks!

johnny
[/quote]
For what its worth I found the invoice for mine. I got them from a dealer on Ebay for less than $30.00! I don't know about the aluminum cups they make, you may want to test drive a set. Copper or Brass feel better to me.
Oh yes, I definantly want brass or copper. I found a place called the magic wharehouse and was wondering whether or not just to order from them....

johnny
Thanks for all your help guy's I appreciate it mucho.

johnny
So, I went with the Penguin Cups and got a bunch of free stuff...I can't wait to see what they look and feel like.

Also went to wally world (Wal-mart)yesterday and got me some stain and some wooden dowels and made a few of my own wands, nice looking I might add, for under ten dollars.

johnny
I hope you have more luck than I did. Sent my first set back. Quality control is non existant in these cups. I do love the way the PF design handles. For some reason the brass MM cups seem to have fewer issues. The tops were almost un finished in the coppers. Took a lot of time with fine steel wool to resolve the problem. Picked up a set of Sherwood's recently. Buy quality once.
Got my Penguin cups yesterday, they look and feel fine. The tops are perfect, I'm glad they came with no issues...I was a bit nervous after reading some of the posts concerning these cups, however, all's well.

johnny
[quote]
On 2006-02-03 11:56, sethb wrote:
I second the motion for the Bazar cups. I have the brass set and am very happy with them. They shouldn't run more than $40-45. Yes, they do look vaguely like Thermos bottle caps, but the audience won't know or care.

If I had my druthers and the necessary dollars, I'd get a Paul Fox-style set, but that's just an aesthetic preference and has nothing to do with the handling or usefulness of the Bazar cups.

With the extra money you save, you could buy Michael Ammar's CUPS & BALLS book or the DVD version, if you don't already have it. Or you can buy a bunch of glow-in-the-dark lacrosse balls to use as final loads with the Bazar cups. SETHB

[/quote]

The Sherwoods have some distinct advantages over the Paul Fox cups. One is that they take a larger ball, both in the attic and as a load. Also, certain moves, such as the elevator move, are much easier with the Sherwoods.
I will second that Bill ....I had a set of paul Fox's that I sold after playing with the Sherwwods. My sherwoods are great worker cups.
Mobius