(Close Window)
Topic: First Time
I have never done any busking, magic that is, and I was curious those that remember their first time what is was like, what effects you used, how the audience responded (or didn't). I think it would be cool to read a collection of stories of buskers virgin experience.

Thanks,
Salem
If you must perform torn and restored newspaper...
take note of the wind's direction.

Picking up the pieces with a restored paper just looks suspicious.
I'm not so interested in performing, as I don't think I'm anywhere near the skill level or have enough experience. I was more interested in a whimsical walk down memory lane. Unless that was a joke and I just don't get it. Oh well thanks for the response anyway.

Salem
I'm pretty sure Jim did just what you asked. He was recalling his first performance... on a windy day. It wasn't meant as a joke, but the thought of the look on Jim's face as he sees the pieces flutter to the ground is funny nonetheless.
Ah yes...
Thank you David. Perhaps Michael Baker can step in here and relate how foolish I looked.... I think his advice on the ride home was, "take your bumps boy and get back out there smarter next time."

Whimsically,
Jim Wilder
It's always a milestone when a magician loses the virginity of idealism.

~michael
The first time I went out was in my town's downtown area during a First Friday event. I did sponge balls, a tt and silk, and ended with an comedy invisible deck routine. I did those three tricks for about 2.5 hours and made around $80 dollars-I was on cloud nine. I was hooked and perform there every month if at all possible. I have made up to $160 in just a couple of hours-it's great. I just wish it was more often.

It's the best-people freely offering you their hard-earned cash just for making them laugh and have a good time.
[quote]
On 2006-02-06 14:46, Dave VanVranken wrote:
I'm pretty sure Jim did just what you asked. He was recalling his first performance... on a windy day. It wasn't meant as a joke, but the thought of the look on Jim's face as he sees the pieces flutter to the ground is funny nonetheless.

[/quote]

Sorry, quite right. Thanks Jim.
[quote]
On 2006-02-06 17:44, Michael Baker wrote:
It's always a milestone when a magician loses the virginity of idealism.
[/quote]
Well put.

I doubt most people (including myself) will be as lucky as Chad C.

I think its always best to expect and prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
[quote]
On 2006-02-06 13:03, Jim Wilder wrote:
If you must perform torn and restored newspaper...
take note of the wind's direction.

Picking up the pieces with a restored paper just looks suspicious.
[/quote]

I just had an image of dropping a piece of paper and when you restore the paper, there's a hole in it!
If it is your first time out, I stronly recomend that you read the book "The secret art of magic". I started reading it yesterday and I am about half way through. It is great! But I quess this topic is not about recomended reading. Just had to tell you guys. :)

/Ark