(Close Window)
Topic: Comical Hypnotic suggestions
Message: Posted by: The Magical Mesmerizer (Feb 18, 2006 02:13AM)
Can any good hypnotists tell me how when they give a post-hypnotic suggestion to do things like bark like a dog, quack like a duck, or cluck or strut like a chicken, why do the hypnoized people do those things and is it pretty funny when they do it?
hard question maybe, but I really don't know how to ask it.
MM,

This has been covered a bunch of times in this 'room'.

You are asking someone to 'explain' trance, which is not easy to do. In brief, Hypnosis is a set of skills that lets you give 'suggestions' to a subject's unconscious mind. They do it becuase they are in 'trance' and are willingly accepting your suggestions.

I would suggest going to a local library and getting a book out on hypnosis.

To answer your second question - post-hypnotic suggestions can be the source of great comedy but it takes a good performer (with good skills as a hypnotist) to make it entertaining.
Tastefull suggestions and not demeaning ones are what work best for me.

no dog barking stuff.
I rememeber seeing a show when I was on holiday back in the ninties, and watching a hypnotist do this kind of stunt, he brought up 2 (not the best looking girls) and got them to behave like dogs. I was terrible, they were both in floods of tears afterwards, as lots were calling them dogs etc. I had forgotton about this show. He was embarrsing the audinece to get his laughs. Terrible show. I think that is a real danger

steve
I rememeber seeing a show when I was on holiday back in the ninties, and watching a hypnotist do this kind of stunt, he brought up 2 (not the best looking girls) and got them to behave like dogs. I was terrible, they were both in floods of tears afterwards, as lots were calling them dogs etc. I had forgotton about this show. He was embarrsing the audinece to get his laughs. Terrible show. I think that is a real danger

steve
On that note steve I watched a magician do a baffeling bra to a VERY shy woman at a stage show. Put her in tears. Terrible show. I think it is a real danger.

A lousy magician can make an entire audience uncomfortable, a great one has the voulunteers and audience loving them. Same with hypnosis. If you have some idiot humilating people, he's in for a short career. A good hypnotist who understands the science of hypnosis and the art of performing can fill theatres again and again.
Message: Posted by: The Magical Mesmerizer (Feb 19, 2006 03:44PM)
What do you mean Kevincanny, by doing a BAFFELING BRA TO A VERY SHY WOMAN, what kind of stunt is that, I've never heard of it, I'm not going to try it, just wandered what the stunt was?
Sorry mesmerizer -- the baffeling bra is a 'magic' effect in which the 'magiaican' seems to pull a the bra out from inside a girls shirt. I was comparing bad magic tricks to bad hypnotists.
And with remarkable accuracy I might add.

good point.