(Close Window)
Topic: ICue 2
Does anyone have this from Virtual Soundman? It sounds very good.
I have ordered it, but it hasn't been shipped yet as they are filling pre-orders right now. I will let you know what I think of it as soon as I get it.

Chad
Arghhh! I just got my Icue a few weeks ago !

I got my VSM 7.5 and I loved it...Upgraded to the Icue...And now there is a new version with the built in speaker that I wanted !

Mr. Duro...You're killing me...
[quote]
On 2006-02-27 14:51, JosephKerr wrote:

I got my VSM 7.5 and I loved it...Upgraded to the Icue...And now there is a new version with the built in speaker that I wanted !

[/quote]

Joseph,

What was the advantage of going from the 7.5 to the Icue. Are there any advantages other than the LED.

I have a 7.0 right now.
I have the 7.5 with the additional LED display however, the Display isn't part of the unit and has to be connected via a telephone cable and needed its own power source. Far too much trouble unless you REALLY needed it. I wanted the ICue because of the built-in Display and it compact size. It also has an attractive stream-lined look to it. More like professional electronics rather than the homebrewed look of 7.5
I love my ICue. Saw Kelly at WMS. He is a very nice man. He keeps improving his system. Buy one. Tell him Bairefoot sent you.
Got mineed this morning...the little bit I've played with it so far....OMG IT ROCKS. If you're an Ipod lover then this is for you!!!!

--Jon
Any reviews yet?
Please outline the difference between iCue and iCue2

Has iCue 2 finally solved the problem of fade-to-pause on an iPod? The last iCue would do MiniDisc with fade to pause but (correct me if I wrong) never could do Fade-to-Pause on an iPod. Please don't just jump in and say it does it, because the prior unit did not, and many on the Cafť' said it did because they only used it with a MiniDisc and assumed it did the same with the iPod. I almost purchased it only to find out at the end of an excited thread that NO it will not.
If there are differences such as this, VSM should at least put an asterisk next to the feature on the list and simply say (not available on iPod operation).
Hello Walter,

I was curious about the differences between the iCue Duo (which I own) and the iCue2 (Squared) and so I e-mailed Kelly. Here's his response:

"It is called the iCue 2 (Squared).. And the differences are significant-- as we have developed the bi-directional communication for the iPod as well as the Sony MD in the same unit.

"The communication for the MD is improved as a result- but more importantly is addition of the direct synchronization for the iPod, through the serial digital connector, (digital quality as opposed to analog music quality). By utilizing the Serial connector at the bottom of the iPod we have
accomplished real time self correcting LED display, and the self working auto pause as well.

"Volume controls and fade features are now done internally through our new digital amplifier. - and the information that is on the display of the iPod is now freed up to appear on our new Vacuum fluorescent displays (coming soon).

"The iPod is being charged by the iCue squared, and is fully automated from inside the iCue Squared for al it's controls. This represents significant technology for the iPod. As opposed to the limited simple analog connection that we used earlier (i.e. The remote socket on top of the older iPods).

"The iPod can now be charged through this same connector and prevents power failures that would otherwise happen.

"The LED display can now read up to 199 tracks instead of just 99- by virtue of the Blue LED on the front. The Blue LED is also used to show the self synchronization in the beginning."

It appears that the fade to pause should work now with iPods.

Michael
Hi,
I've gotten the icue2 and it does the fade out to autopause feature with the ipod. I use an ipod nano and it works great. There is no lag time at all. I am pleased with this purchase. If anyone has anymore specific questions-feel free to post them or pm me. I am practicing with it now and hope to be using it in my shows in about a week.

Thanks and have a great day!
Chad
Thanks Michael and Chad. Good to hear that issue is now fixed.
Please keep us up to date on your experience in regular show use.

Chad, What is the current price of the system that you purchased to use with your Nano?
Glodmagic,
The current price is still $699, which is the pre-order price. It is on their website. You can also get the icue2 with a 2gig ipod nano for a little under $900. I already had my ipod.
I just ordered one. There is a 2 to 3 week wait.
I ordered and paid for mine over a month ago and it still has not come. They keep saying they are waiting for parts. They said it would ship this week, I have emailed and now they are not responding back. I hope it comes soon, 1 month plus is a long time to wait for something that has been paid for.
Just got off the phone with him and they are boxing it up and shipping today!
I can't wait. This is my 3rd VS. It is a great product.
I just received my Icue2 today. I can't wait to get it going!
Don,
Make sure you soft reboot your ipod each time you hook it up to the icue.
Thanks. I will.
Got mine this morning.
Keep playing it the whole day!!
I sure it will be very helpful for my tomorrow's show...!!

Great invention~
Can I plug the Icue2 into a Fender PD250?
The Icue2 comes with a normal red/white cable..
just plug it into any amplifer with red/white input, it does work..
As the iCue2 instructions will tell you...DO NOT use any type of "Y" connector to take the 2 channels down to a single...somehow, it will freak out your iPod. When koandy says "red/white cable" he means RCA connectors.

Steve
Thanks steve for clarify..
Mine arrived last week but today is the first day that I have gotten to play with it. So far this is really cool. Previously, I have been working with RF remotes but this really does kick it up several notches and appears to be well worth the investment. I do have a quick question if someone knows the answer ... How do I disengauge the autocue so several tracksa can play consecutively without my needing to trigger the next track. I have a serious of intro music that I would like to play through until a certain point where I'll want to engauge the cuing. I am assumingthat there is an easy fix that I am just not realizing.

Thanks,
Dan.
Dan,

Yes, there is. Check the little card that's packed inside the case that tells you what your remote buttons do. Also, pay close attention to your display. When you engage the "self-working auto pause" it automatically pauses at the end of one track and cues to the next one. To defeat that, you have to use the button between your 2 volume buttons. When you depress it a single time, it will show you either "AP" or "A-". The AP is auto pause, the A- means that feature is turned off. Pressing and holding the button for a second will change the status. I use that feature to play the pre-roll before the show (music track-liner track-music track-liner track, etc.)...it's much easier to just let it roll through than to constantly monitor and pressing play. You can remotely turn this feature off at anytime, too. Great feature. Hope that helps.

Steve
Oh man ... this is totally cool! I'm having a blast just playing with this .. can't wait to use it in a show! Thanks for the tip Steve ... I finally know what the little red button in the middle is for.

Dan.
Dan,

Which remote did you get? I hope it's the "click/feel remote". That's much better. I removed the clip from the back of my remote and just carry it in my pocket. Some people will suggest attaching it to a small piece of cardboard to keep it in the right place in your pocket so you can use it THROUGH the material. I used the remote (with flat buttons, 4-button remote) for my ShowTech for YEARS from the pocket. Never had to take it out, but this C-F remote is much better.

Make sure you familiarize yourself with what ALL the buttons on the remote do. Those little dots in the corners of the display will tell you a lot!

Steve
Steve,

Yes, I have the click/feel remote. I have been trying to decide the best way to carry it. Previously, I attached my RF remote to a retractable belt clip. So far, I've just used the fixed belt clip but trying to evaluate which approach is best. All of the functionality of this device is nicely thought out. Previously, with my RF, I inserted "silent" cues into my playlist but could never be certain if it was paused or playing through. It was a disruption to the performance when a clip would start at the wrong cue point. Or if the iPod shut down, it would take multiple clicks to get the right cue, sometimes skipping the target track. For the time, it served my purposes well but with the iCue2, control seems to be absolute. What at first seemed to be expensive, really is a nice investment.

I'm rearranging my show with more chasers and sound effects. I have always admired the flow of Ken Scott's performances and how smoothly each routine segways to the next. With a tremendous range of creative opportunities on my desktop (SmartSound Sonicfire, GoldWave, etc.,) it is time to set them free. Like I said, I'm having a blast just playing with it.

Thanks again for your insights.

Dan.
Your mention of Ken Scott's performances is strange, since he's using the MP3Tech. He doesn't have the flexibilty of changing the show track order at the venue, unless there's a laptop with an SD card reader handy. If the MP3 player on the Tech goes out, the whole unit is useless until a new one's sent out. If your iPod crashes or something else happens to it, chances are, somebody around your house has one you can program and use. I'm totally happy with my iCue2! Tell Kelly I said that, too!

Steve
Thanks to my kids and their upgrades to video iPods, I now have a good supply of back up equipment. That's one of the reasons why I chose the iCue2 along with the large LED display. I have read Ken's comments and believe he has been extremely happy with his MP3 Tech.

Dan.
Folks,

I would have a backup IPOD just incase it somehow breaks, gets stolen. Also just incase your ICUE2 takes a dump, invest in a IPOD remote control, check them out:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=194181&forum=11&8

G0THIKE
Actually since I carry my lap top with me I have all my music in there. So if my mp3 was to go out I can use my laptop with an airclick.

But I must say I think steve said something about it but I don't change my order of tracks that often. Most of shows stay the same unless it is new show. In most cases if I am not going to do a routine in my show (ex vanishing bannana) then I just simply skip over that track.

I must say everyone that I have talked to that owns the icue loves it and those's that own the mp3 love it as well. You it is simply what ever works best for YOU. I played around with the icue of my friends and just could not get used the remote, but then again I am so used to kerry;s remotes since using the showtech now the mp3 tech.

Ken
If the MP3Tech had been comparable to the iCue2, I probably would've gone with it, but the flexibility just wasn't there. It was too much like buying a TV/DVD/VCR combination, in that, if something goes wrong with any of the parts, the entire thing is unusable until a replacement becomes available. I got so used to using a ShowTech for almost 15 years that I never thought I'd consider any other brand. I took part in a "focus group" that impartially showed all the different options available from different brands and units. That taught me all I needed to know.

Steve (proud owner of an iCue2) Thomas
I have a question that I hope someone can answer....

I have Icue2 and I use it in conjunction with my Ipod. However, what I'd like to do is start a piece of music in the middle rather than right at the beginning. Any advice? Help!!!!

--Jon
You'll have to use a music editing program to put whatever part of the music you want directly on your iPod as a track by itself. Simple enough. Unless you mean that you want to STOP a track in the middle and restart it. That's possible with the iCue2, you just have to have your "pause in place" turned on, and that's accomplished via your remote.

Steve
Do you want to stop and then start the track again in the middle or have the track start in the middle?

If you want to pause and restart at the same spot you have to turn the auto advance off by holding the volume up for 3 seconds. You will see a led on the bottom right that tells you the auto advance is off. You can pause in the middle of a track then restart at that same point.

If you want to start a track that is in the middle you want to get a music editing program such as gold wave and create a new track by deleting what ever part you donít want, and then save it as a new MP3. Then load that into your ipod.

Another free program you can get is http://audacity.sourceforge.net I donít have it but a lot of people use it.

It looks like there is a new unit called WISpeak. It is the icue2 but now can be hooked to your laptop. Don't see too many details yet.
I took a look at the page for the WISpeak. The headline is hilarious..."Lose the 110 lbs!" That assumes your sound guy is a skinny little dude.

Most sound guys I've seen have been these big, stocky guys. I think he needs to upgrade the pound estimate!
Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer is good for my music, simple editing programme..
I finally used my iCue2 in a show for the first time and can't say how much of an ungrade this was. I added bunch of sound effects and chasers where before I was just happy cuing the right music track. Everything executed perfectly. This definitely enhanced the whole show experience.

Thanks,
Dan.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Feb 14, 2007 12:30AM)
I thought I read on one of these threads that the Icue 2 shows a different read out other than just the track # 1, 2 and so on. I thought I read that it shows what is actually read on the Ipod...as in the track name i.e. rain forest sound effect. If someone could provide me some info on this I would really appreciate it...thanks!

Smartini
The Great Smartini,

In the ICUE 2 its an add-on. You have to spend $400 dollars more for an LCD display.

G0thike
I was surprised at how visible the new Vacuum Florescent display is. I thought the actual font size would be so small that it would be limited to short distances ... boy was I wrong. It is easily seen from a reasonable performance distance with sufficient contrast for a stage setting. Needless to say, I was impressed. Just my observation.

Dan.
I had the opportunity to use the iDisplay, and it's VERY visible. Those different brightness levels are just that...BRIGHT! The ability to change the size of the display with the push of a button is wonderful, too!

Steve
Just now playing with my new iCue2, ankle remotes, and iPrompter display.

I have a question for you iCue2 users.

Here's my situation:

Before I was going out from my computer with a stereo (headphone) jack to a 1/4" plug, right into my Anchor Extreme system.

However, on my new iCue2 system, I'm not supposed to use a "Y" connector....I'm supposed to keep the channels separate.

So, are all of you in this situation going straight from the iCue into a direct (DI) box, and then into your system with an XLR cord? That's what Kelly recommended.
I can't go straight into the Anchor Extreme system with RCA plugs.
And I don't have two 1/4" inputs available, either.

I would like to keep all of this simple, without cords running all over the place.

Any help is appreciated!
Is there any harm in trying out the "Y" connector to see what happens?

All My PAs have RCA or I use a mixer.
Tim,

Got your phone call from earlier, and I'm going to call ya back, promise. Right now, I'm between gigs (iCue2 worked FLAWLESSLY this morning for a crowd of 476 kids!)...but I think now I understand what you're gonna ask me.

I do know one guy who bought one and used a "Y" connector. According to Kelly (Duro, of course), the audio line can "clamp down" if the audio (particular track) is too loud or active. I use an Anchor "Explorer Pro" speaker/amp, and I have RCA jacks in the back, so I don't have that problem. Next time I have to drag out the Peavey MP4 amp with the 2 Peavey 112 speakers, however, I will need a DI box...

I'd go with what Kelly recommends...the iCue is from his hands, and he knows it best!

Steve
Tim Hannig & others,

The answer is to change your recordings to mono and then plug in the one jack. You can do this right in ITunes.

Works great you just will not have true stereo, plus the size of the file will get even smaller.

James Adamson
You do have to be careful when mixing down to stereo. On occasion, you could lose part of one track or the vocals if you have any phase issues, or end up with just the vocals without the music.

I do need to find a way to raise the volume going into my iPod, however...anybody more digitally-inclined out there have better ideas? iTunes just isn't doing it for me.

Steve
James,

Most of my recordings are in mono, but I didn't think that mattered.

I thought Kelly was recommending this for a different reason.

That aside, are you saying you are going out of the iCue with a single mono stereo plug to a 1/4" plug?
Tim,

I know why Kelly is saying not to use a Y-adapter. Because the iCue 2 (and the iCue Duo I use) have a pre-amplifier in them, the sound can become distorted if you use a Y-Adapter. Because of the pre-amp, you over drive the system. I know this because I was having that very problem with my iCue Duo. One of my main pieces of music was over-driving my smaller PA's and the bass sounded "fuzzy."

My solution to this point has been to use the RCA jacks on my smaller PA's. I do want to experiment with other options. I have a DI box but that didn't help because it only has a single 1/4" input so I still have to use the adapter.

Michael
Tim,

I am using the "Red" RCA plug out of the unit with a RCA to Male Mono 1/4" jack on my smaller portable system as it does not have stereo in on it. The White RCA plug is not used in this configuration. On my larger Rack system I can go complete stereo.

James
Are there any other digital displays you can use. I have the one built into my Icue2. I am just wondering is there any place where you can buy an extra display (bigger one)?

Thanks
Bairefoot
Go to the http://www.virtualsoundman.com site and see the displays. I use the iPrompter, which shows the actual name of the track playing. It's also for use with the new MINI-iCue2...called the Mi-Cue. Didn't you get a card in the mail talking all about the Mi-Cue? Got mine last week!

Steve
Yes I did. I asked him if he had any more products coming out before I bought the Icue he told me no and the lady I spoke to said no. Now this is out. I was just wondering is there anything made thaqt can be used as a digital display the our Icue can be hookded into.

Bairefoot
We have had the icue2 for a couple of months now and love it. We incorporate a lot of music and other special sound affects in our shows and it works fantastic! It is worth every penny!

Nanci
I wouldn't start fiddling around and hacking inside something that well-made! The iPrompter is especially great to go with the Mi-Cue, since it doesn't have any display of its own. That would make for a VERY small sound system. I use the iCue2 AND the iPrompter. iCue2 mounts (via velcro) on TOP of the "pole mount" and the iPrompter attaches (again, via velcro) to the underside of the "pole mount"...and all is on the single speaker stand, or the one to the right of the stage.

Michael, are you looking for strictly the track number info, or the track INFO? Your iCue has the number display...and usually, that's enough, but the iPrompter will (depending on which font size you use) give track info, track time and track number. I just use the track name in the largest size it has, and the number is on the iCue itself.

Wonderful gadget to have!

Steve
I was trying to have just a display of the track their numbers father away in front of me instead of the side. I use a fender passport 250 it sets in front of the stage. I was trying to put the monitor to the front of me farther away.

Thanks
Bairefoot
You can get a LOOOONG cable for the iPrompter...Kelly (Duro) included one with mine when I got it. It's about 20 feet, and I'm sure he can make a longer one if you need it. I've never had to use the LONG one...not yet, at least. Then you can put the iPrompter in front of you if you needed it. It'll show the display in different ways, whatever you like. I just prefer the track title (whatever your iPod shows is on the screen) in largest size. It's also illuminated in several different levels...you choose with the touch of a button.

Steve
I also have the iPrompter, and it is very readable, even from far away.

I think Kelly said you could read it from 35 ft away easily. I haven't measured, but haven't had any problems.
Tonight I was on a stage and had the iPrompter about 15-20 feet away, at the smallest font (out of three sizes), and it was great.
Ah...so I'm NOT the only one!

Steve