(Close Window)
Topic: Will you come downunder?
This seems like a great opportunity to ask lots of non-Aussies at the same time:

1 - Have you ever wanted to come and visit Australia?
2 - If so, what appeals to you, and what's stopping you?
1. Well of course. You all seem like down to earth people, no pun intended. I like beer, so that seems to work out well. And of course we know Australia is the opera center of the universe, what with the opera house and all.

2. It's the snakes. That Steve Irwin crocodile hunter went around and touched all the top 10 deadliest snakes on the planet. 8 of the 10 were in Australia. That's the way I remember it anyway. I've dealt with copperheads and timber rattlers in the woods of Pennsylvania. Those won't kill you unless you skip the hospital for 48 hours. Aussie snakes don't mess around.

Yeah, and the airfare.
1)Absolutely
2)The cost of gas to drive there ;)
Yep, Australia is full of the world's most deadly snakes, spiders, jelly fish and the sharks and crocodiles are REALLY working up an appetite.

The sun is also deadly down here, too. We have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. But hey! We're all still alive. Just slip, slop, slap (slip on shirt, slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat) - stay in the cities or stick with a tour group - you just have to be careful walking in the bush in summer, watch the logs you walk over, don't scream when you see a snake (except a brown snake, then run for your life - they'll chase you), don't swim in the ocean in latitudes any higher than the Tropic of Capricorn in summer and avoid gardening without gloves.

Save a few dollars a week for the airfare. Stay hydrated on the plane (water - not beer!) and walk around the plane regularly (it'll avoid jet lag). Bring your sense of humour and "she'll be right, mate - bewdy bottla ripper"!!
Over the years I've kept and propagated various Marine specimens and involved in efforts to propagate various live coral specimens. I've always known about and would certainly fear the Blue Ring Octopus which is about the size of a golf ball and making it's home in the crystal clear shallow waters of Australia.

Very few have ever recounted the experience of being stung by this beautiful animal as dead men just can't talk.

But the vibrant city and sparkling beaches are one of a kind. I will soon visit the Great Barrier Reef and World Heritage Park.

Just lovely.

Oh and revlovejoy mentioned your Crocodille Hunter guy Steve Irwin. Good god! he's worked our American nerves to no end wrestling with those animals. Not sure we can take one more minute of his daredevil antics. Hehehe.
Crikey!!!
I only heard about that little blue ringed octopus recently. I thought Melbourne beaches (though not as fabulously exciting as Sydney's beaches upwards), would be safe. But the sharks love it down south.

I'll stick to roaming the bush - in the winter - with big boots on - and an axe.

Have you ever heard about bunyips?
Blue Rings aren't that scary, as kids we used to collect them from the rocks, seems dangerous now, but we just made sure we didn't get stung. They also have very brittle beaks that often break before puncturing the skin.

Come to think about it, I was bloody mad as a kid, what was I thinking, those things'll kill ya.

Brendan
The Linking Blue Rings... there's a good Aussie trick for you.
Nice idea Tim, do you plan on using multiple octopi or glueing the tentacles of one to create a set of 4 rings pre-linked?

Brendan
Brendan, we might have to move this discussion to the SECRET SESSIONS area...
Oh I don't have enough posts to get in there LOL I've posted more in the last 2 days than ever, too much time and not enough work.

Brendan
Look, I think this thread is putting people off visiting Australia... lots of rumours and innuendo about our dangerous creature. These are the only ones we have that are REALLY dangerous okay:

SEA WASP (aka BOX JELLYFISH): Children who have been stung by the sea wasp have died within minutes of being stung.

THE PORTUGESE MAN-O-WAR: The Portuguese Man-Of War is another stinging jellyfish, and although it is much more widespread and common than the box jellyfish or sea wasp, it is not as deadly as the sea wasp.

BLUE RINGED OCTOPUS: There is no antivenom for the poison from a blue-ringed octopus. It is usually necessary to perform continuous CPR on a victim until the effects of the venom have subsided. This may take several hours, but it may mean the difference between life or death for the victim.

SALTWATER CROCODILE: The adult saltwater crocodile will eat anything that comes too close to it. That includes fish, birds, and mammals of any size, including humans, that venture near the water's edge.

SHARKS: Sharks eat other sharks, seals, fish, baby dolphins, birds and sometimes humans…mostly because they mistake them for seals.

RED BELLIED BLACK SNAKE: It hunts by day, feeding on frogs, small mammals and other reptiles. Its venom is dangerous to man.

TIGER SNAKE: The Tiger snake is one of the deadliest snakes in the world, and can be found in the Australian Southwest.

THE TAIPAN: The Taipan is the most venomous snake in Australia. Male and female are both very aggressive if cornered

RED BACKED SPIDER: Red-back bites occur frequently, but only the female bite is dangerous. They can cause serious illness and have caused deaths.

FUNNEL WEB SPIDER: The Tree-dwelling Funnel-web Spideris the most dangerous spider in Australia, and among the most dangerous spiders in the world.

THE PLATYPUS: Platypus spurrings of people are rare, but the select group who have survived the trauma report pain strong enough to induce vomiting which can persist for days, weeks or even months. The pain is resistant to morphine and other pain-killing drugs and anaesthesia of the main nerve from the spur site is often the only way to relieve the patient's suffering.

Apart from that, most of the other creatures down here are all that dangerous...
You forgot Bunyips and Drop Bears :0
Yeah... come to think of it, it wasn't the Blue Ringed Octopus... it was a small, invisible to the eye under water, very small jelly fish of some sort with long tentacles that will sting through a wetsuit. It kills you.

There's nothing to prevent the sting (at least you can avoid the box jellyfish sting by wearing a full bod stocking).

OK - I think I'll move overseas!
Tell us about Bunyips and Drop Bears, Brendan.
Australia looks like a blast. I'm not much of an adventurer, so the Outback doesn't beckon, but I do enjoy sports. I would love to see an Aussie Rules match, not to mention a proper game of rugby.
Hmmm, When I read the first post I was thinking, Yeah I would love to go to Austrailia. Sounds great. Now I am not so sure.
Aaaah, come on... don't let us put you off...

Aussies are reknown for story telling...

...truly!

:)
I'm not a footbal fan - but hey - Aussie Rules is a FABULOUS game!!
When asked questions like that I rely on google and Wiki :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_Bear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunyip

Wiki has them listed as mythalogical creatures but that is their opinion only, they obviously haven't sat quietly in the bush at night near a billabong.

Brendan

A billabong is a small lagoon type body of water created when the bend in a river is cut off from the rest of the flow.
Hi,

I have always had Australia on my wish list of places to see. Friendly people, beautiful country, sounds like a great place to visit!! I've had a fondness for the country and people since my 5th grade Aussie teacher taught me how to sing Kookaberra, Waltzing Matilda, and Wild Colonial boy. It must have planted in my head that these Aus people must possess a wonderful sense of humor. Seeing Rolf Harris sing "The Three Legged Man" must have also played a role too, as well as listening to Six White Boomers played on the radio at Christmastime. I'm still waiting to hear "With a Swag Upon My Shoulder", although I don't drink the stuff myself. Yes, that all convinced me..Aus is the place to go!

On a more serious note - from all those that I've known to have visited your country there is been nothing but rave reviews regarding the people and of the landscape. It is one place I plan to see someday.

Chrystal
Wow - you brought back so many memories of singing those songs.

Have you ever heard the naughty songs? HAHAAAAaaa ... ah dear... I shouldn't be so amused, should I?!
Gee guys, Australia sounds like a really fun time - as long as you know that visiting automatically makes you become part of the food chain. :lol:

I mean really: Saltwater Crocodiles, Great White Sharks, Deadly Octopi and dangerous Jellyfish, I guess swimming is not a good idea. :fruity:

Wait, one could always take a stroll, right?...NOT! Aggressive and venemous snakes along with poisonous spiders await unsuspecting tourists, and what about the bloody Scorpions?! :kidding:

But why worry? Heck, you'll probably pass out from the scorching sun and never feel a thing anyway. :rotf:

Yep, got my plane ticket, suit of armour, first aid kit, spear-gun, M16 assault rifle, sunglasses and sunscreen. Okay, guess I'm ready to go visit Tim and Sue-Anne. :smoke:
Oh, and if you go swimming, watch out for the Bondi cigars. Harmless, but you don't want to touch one.
Spent 4 months there when I was stationed with the Marines. It was for Operation Tandem Thrust (insert your own joke here, I don't make up the names, folks) and we spent the majority of our time on liberty in Rockhampton and Brisbane just before we went back to Japan. Australia is a beautiful country, the wife and I are saving up for a trip back there.
Like Kid Iowa I was also stationed In Japan with the Marines. Met a few Shelias from down under while I was there. And these girls were Mucho Keen!!

I would love to visit Australia. Very much. Just seems like a beautiful Country filled with a lot of nice folks. I'll bet the golf courses are beautiful as well. I've always wanted to go. Cost is probably the one thing holding me back. Maybe one day I'll stow away on a tramp steamer and make my way over there.

Vandy
Don't start with the Golf Courses! For a while Hobson was an annual visitor purely to play golf!
My 2 week tour of Australia and New Zealand was one of the greatest lecture tours I ever did ... the scenery was incredible and the magic was great (and they seemed to enjoy my lecture as well!), but what I remember most was how fun-loving the people were ... I had such a good time hanging out with the locals and I even did a gig for company banquet that was quite a hoot ...

My youngest daughter knows EVERYTHING about Austalia and wants to go with me the next time I go ... maybe I can sneak her in my luggage!
I understand it's beautiful there. Also, it's an English speaking country. Apparently it's a deadly country too! This topic should be named, "Will you come to be buried down under?" :lol:
My wife, who teaches, and my son, have the summer off. Here in New Hampshire, we have about two and a half months of summer weather and four months of winter weather. I'd have to convince my wife to leave the short summer here to go to the winter there. If there's good skiing there, that might be possible. My wife and son are crazy about skiing.

Are you in the warm Northern regions of Australia?

The expense and long trip tend to make other locations easier too.

Considering the situation is somewhat symmetrical for you, thanks for coming "up over!"
We're actually in Melbourne, and the temperature can vary from 41 degrees (106 F)down to 6 degrees (43 F)... on the same day. It's an amazing place.

But you're right, it is such a huge country that travelling between two major cities like Melbourne and Sydney is a 10 hour drive. So the 14 hour direct flight from Melbourne to LA isn't really that bad. (Though I guess if you're used to 2 or 3 hour flights it might seem a bit much).

The 25 hour flight from Melbourne to Europe... that's another story completely!
Bill,

You can get to some of Australia's best Ski fields within a few hours of Melbourne - one of the few places around the world where you could visit the surf and ski on the same day.

As someone who has only recently come to love skiing (with a passion, if not any skill) I can heartily reccomend Mt. Buller and to a greater extent Mt. Hotham as exceptional holiday venues for any level of skiier.

Come on down - you won't regret it for a minute.

Tim's right - the place is huge, but that just means you rarely get the ludicrous amounts of tourist crowds you get in other venues around the world. That is a BIG plus, believe me.

M@
I got banned from Mt Buller on our honeymoon.
I know I'll regret asking...but...why?

M@
Funny you should ask Mat... as you might assume, I'm not a very good skiier, but I gave it a try. Imagine the scene, headed down "Bourke St" (the crowded run for beginners) and I picked up just a little too much speed when I really hadn't mastered the art of stopping... or even slowing down.

I was weaving around people all over the place, trying to avoid a major collision. Suddenly, I saw a little two year old on skis in front of me and I had absolutely nowhere to go - so I jumped. I actually jumped over the head of this little kid at who knows what speed. I didn't touch him but I think he got a fright and sat down and started crying.

An official Mt Buller Ski Nazi grabbed me, pulled me aside and told me to take off my skis and get off the mountain. He though I was some expert skiier recklessly showing off.

Probably better I did go back to the hotel. Earlier that day I almost accidentally went down a black run.
If you want to go "outback" DON'T do it in our summer. Winter is great for that trip.

We have a very small population (22 million) on an island that's almost the size of the USA. So crowding is rare, except in peak hour in the city - which is like 5:00am morning traffic in Seattle (Crikey - what a busy city THAT is!)
As both an Australian Magician and a Scuba Diver I can tell you the sea life isn't nearly as dangerous as your average magic club meeting!
You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right!
I want to do the effect that Sylvester the Cat always found himself in trouble with and place a mouse in a packing crate and produce a Giant Mouse ALA Kangaroo.

I am working on the Cut & Restored Southern Death Adder.

Michael
Austrailia sounds really interesting, I'd love to visit. What's stopping me? Highschool.
Never see High school as a blocker - only an enabler...

...best 11 years of my life...

M@
So getting back to the original question.... ;)

These are the top three reasons I've heard stop people from overseas from coming downunder:

1 - Price of airfare
2 - Length of flight

We can't do much about #2, but what price would the airfares have to be to get you guys to come visit us if FISM was ever held here?
[quote]
1 - Have you ever wanted to come and visit Australia?
2 - If so, what appeals to you, and what's stopping you?
[/quote]

1. Oh yes. I have actually been there a couple of times. Skiing actually.

2. Appealing: Ladies that can carry 14 really big beers at the same time, the funny guys in lederhosen, the hornblowers, the cosy cottages. I was never in Melbourne, but I liked Salzburg very much. I had a hard time with the language though, it wasn't quite like the german I learned in school. You are very good at english, though Tim! That wasn't my experience with the locals but then again I was mostly on the country side.
Grrrrrrr

Sue-Anne has a t-shirt from our travels that says "There are no kangaroos in Austria!!!"
I don't know why but every week someone I know is either

a) visiting family
b) working
c) on holiday

in Australia. I'm serious,, at the moment I have 6 relatives, 4 friends and 2 neighbours that are there. Must be something to do with all the Irish that have moved there over the years.

I'm dying to go myself. Airfare doesn't bother me and neither does flight time. In fact I'm tryin to get a free trip through work. We have a lab in Sydney that do the same job as we do. It might be possible to do a swap for a few months with one of the Sydney engineers. But then again, who in their right mind would give up the warm, sunny weather of Australia for the cold, wet weather of Ireland!
Me! Me! Me! Me! Me!
Ok Sue-Anne, how about you come here, I'll go there. You can be an engineer for a week, and I can do a few magic shows? You can film it all for the next DVD. Call it "No Experience Required".
Hey, as long as she gets to live in a castle she'll be there! ;)

A few years ago we visited the Emerald Isle and stayed overnight in Kilbrittain Castle, she was in HEAVEN!
Done!

I'd make a GREAT engineer! HA!

I'll practise my Irish "Top 'o the mornin' to ye"

:)
My wife and I have been talking about moving to Australia. We've about had it with the political scene here in the States. We've been watching the action "down under" and from this distance, pretty pleased with what we have seen. If we do move, it'll be after our parents go on to greater things, but I've decided Melbourne would be the place.. Forumula 1 will be there in a couple of weeks. :)

Now, if I'd only made that decision a year ago...
You MAY be disappointed with the political scene here, too...

But, Chuck Fayne moved to Melbourne and loves it. He moved for other reasons (safety for his children).

Our biggest migrants were from England a few years ago... now it's from China. We need migrants because Australia is just not populating itself. We have too much fun to worry about things like that :)
One thing you'll have to have when you come down here is a sense of humor, since the british banned the word "Bloody" in our overseas Adverts I think that it is a requirment. I still can't believe they done that.

So make sure you bring your budgie Smugglers and try our nice long beachs and ask for a pair of cougers at the local bar.

Magically

Aus
[quote]We need migrants because Australia is just not populating itself. We have too much fun to worry about things like that [/quote]

Sue-Anne, I thought that was fun?
[quote]
On 2006-03-12 00:32, Aus wrote:
One thing you'll have to have when you come down here is a sense of humor, since the british banned the word "Bloody" in our overseas Adverts I think that it is a requirment. I still can't believe they done that.

So make sure you bring your budgie Smugglers and try our nice long beachs and ask for a pair of cougers at the local bar.

Magically

Aus
[/quote]

They banned the work Bloody?

Bloody fools! Who do they think they are?
My girlfreind is going to Sydney monday morning 03/13/06and very excited about this .She will be there for 25 days.I too wish I could go.GOD bless Australia for the Stranglers,and the Lime Spiders,I can forgive you for "Men at Work",If you will forgive U.S. for Britney Spears...I do want to see YOUR act,I have heard only wonderfull things.
Peace
"E"
Yeah, THAT bit's fun Brendan... but, I don't know about the 'populating' bit. Eeeww - ok - I'm not a normal female :)
If all the women are like Elly May, I am on my way.
(Ain't that poetryetical?)
Peace,
Parson