(Close Window)
Topic: James Brown DVD
Does anyone know anything about a new DVD from James Brown from the UK? He told me he had a DVD coming out when I spoke to him at Blackpool (and I had previously seen him perform at the Session Convention)
James does a great coin on shoulder/under watch with just one coin which is beautiful.
Are you sure he did'nt mention Alkazam as being the company putting it out as well.
I don't know much about james brown..what kind of magic does he do.?

Criss
This James Brown? http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk
I don't think anyone in a performing career should be able to use the name "James Brown" until the Godfather of Soul (say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud) retires from show business or life itself. Whatever their given name is.
Apparently it's going to be very good. I know, I was there!
I've not seen James work for sometime now, but last time I had the oppertunity, He was first class!, I wish Him all the Best.......

Dave
Hi Guy's

The DVD is expected to arrive here in the shop, within 4 weeks. James is a great thinker and performer. His routines are first class. The DVD contains both lecture footage and real-world footage. Trust me this is one DVD the workers out there will not want to miss!

Peter
FYI

James Brown DVD - "Fancy a Pot of Jam?"

Psychological Deck Vanish

The ultimate solution to the "Show me a trick!" request that will blow them away!

The deck vanishes from between yours and the spectator's hands, leaving nothing but their previously thought of card!

Card Under Box

The classic effect with some great new twists! See James perform this in all the "wrong" situations and successfully blow people away!

Repeat card under box, deck under box & optional vanish! This is a great lesson in misdirection as James proves that with the right thinking, you CAN do this anywhere!

Coin on Shoulder & More!

A great reworking of a popular effect that many people shy away from! James shows you the proper technique for making the coin stay put in a one coin routine that really uses just ONE coin!

Watch as the coin repeatedly vanishes & reappears on the shoulder in your eye, under the spectators watch, climaxing in their WATCH ending up on their shoulder! Essential impromptu Magic for every Magician!

Card Under Watch

This one gets people talking! When a spectator finds their signed card folded & wedged snugly under their watch, they literally freak out! James has routined this in such a way that the spectator's will NEVER be able to backtrack the load. A fantastic lesson in time misdirection!

Fancy a Pot of Jam?

Pitching & loading for the real world! This effect takes a simple coin trick and gives it an ending that is so surreal that it will be remembered for a very long time! James begins with "The World Famous 11p Trick" & ends it with a mind blowing production of a pot of jam that appears, vanishes & finds itself on the spectator's shoulder!

Cards Opener

A brilliant routine combining the best elements of card Magic, to create an action packed showpiece that is ideal to begin your set with. Cards to pocket, card changes and a deck vanish make this something to really show you mean business when you have a deck of cards!

Cards to Spectator's Pocket

Sounds impossible! You have to see, learn it, then go out and try it! This really works and takes the popular cards to pocket plot, but amplifies the impact! Especially as the spectator actually removes the card from their own pocket and the WHOLE DECK when the effect climaxes with it vanishing & appearing in their pocket! A reputation maker for those who are willing to go out there & do it!

Diminishing Switch

A fantastic transposition effect that is not the norm! A SINGLE card on a spectator's hand changes places with FOUR cards from your hands! This routine takes a well known sequence, builds a trick around it, then delivers a knock out transposition ending that is just impossible!

Band Up!

Visual card Magic at its best! A selected card literally appears from nowhere on the back of a spectator's hand. The deck is wrapped in a rubber band; the spectator's hand goes on top, then BANG, the selection jumps onto the BACK of their hand! It looks like trick photography on film!

Watch Stealing

Two different techniques for removing wristwatches in seconds! Watch James do this to people time and time again and deal with that inevitable "getting caught" situation. Not only does he get the watch off at lightening speed - the watch ends up on James' wrist and even on the spectator's shoulder!

"James's sensational audience management will make you shake your head in disbelief. I have seen James in action for real people and trust me when I say he is a master of misdirection.

He is consistently excellent with his magic. This DVD is a must for anyone who wants to learn from a real worker. GREAT GREAT GREAT! You can only mess with the classic principles of magic when you fully understand why they work; James fully understands why they work, period!"

Martin Sanderson; Corporate Close up Magic Legend.

"James Brown does the material we all wish we had the nerve to do. Misdirection, and spectator management are the real secrets to his work and he is an expert at both."

Peter Wardell; A street performer to be reckoned with.
Hmm I have seen the demo show reel and I think it looks pretty fresh. My mis-direction or as I prefer to call it directional attention displacement really sucks. Are there tips on how to improve in this de[partment. I always gets caught when I stick cards under watches :-(

I like greg wilson type magic and this seems to have that vibe.

Criss
Notorious BIG - 1972 to 1987
Hi Guys

I should have the website up and running by tonight so that you can view and pre-order the DVD. http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk and then follow the Magicians Only link.

Let me know what you think of it...

James Brown
Seems like theres a lot of greg wilson material in here...
Having worked with James on several occasions, I can whole heartedly say that, with the practice and dedication, this stuff is real world working killers. James has a unique touch, that shines through in all his work and everything he does. He is one of the few guys I know who not only slays spectators, but also consistently floors magicians. Buy it Buy it Buy it etc etc etc.
Hi Guy's,

I know for a fact that when we were out filiming the DVD James confirmed at least four bookings from the people he was performing to. sleighty annoying as Ashford is my patch!

Peter
Can I just add that James always astounds me when we meet up. Unlike many magicians, he is always happy to show and comment on ideas. A top guy. He deserves to do well. Oh, may I add that I am in no way connected to the publishing of his DVD. Just appreciate quality when I see it!
Finally someone is putting out a DVD of magic with ordinary items.
...and it is available via http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk just so you know!
Is there any news on the release date of this?

Best magical wishes,

Criss
DVD should be available for shipping in the next 10 days. Its at the printers as we speak.

Pre-orders being taken from http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk

Cheers

JB
I have just pre-order this and am very mcuh looking forard to reciving it.
I have met and listened to james at length on several occasions and I have to say it advice is top rate. He is a man who really thinks about his magic and routining. He makes excellent material choices and this is a DVD I am looking forward to watching. I will definetly get it when it comes out.
All the best to you James! I'll be looking foreward to this one!

Rannie Raymundo
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

Funny how we have the same handle. My second DVD is called The Boss. Oh well, I'd share that name with anybody!

Cheers!
This sounds "simply the best, better than all the rest" as James Brown might say!
I think that was Tina Turner!

Just to let you know we are expecting the discs in stock within 10-14 days.

Peter
14 days? I am not sure I can wait that long!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 27, 2006 02:03PM)
James,cant wait for the DVD to come out, looking forward to seeing it. Was funning sessioning with you at the Session convention. Are you going to be at Bristol DoM?
I pre ordered throught alakazam...
any word on when they will be sent out peter?
thanks
matt
I am not going to be at the Bristol DoM as I am gigging instead. I will be at the Top Secret day and International though.

James Brown
P.S. I am still waiting for the DVDs to come off the factory line... Any day now!
Great. now everyone wants to be like james brown. Sure he is amazing and skilled but why are we all carbon cut outs of him? this week james brown, last week daryl, next week who knows? we are killing magic.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 28, 2006 05:43PM)
????? We aren't. Well, I don't want to be. Its great to see how others perform and create etc. Gets the creative mind flowing. New ideas are very hard to find, most people don't actually create effects, they improve them. I don't want to be the next James Brown, I want to be the first Christopher Williams, but, everyday in magic is a learning curve, and there could be the 1 tip on this DVD, or one routine, that takes a magician to the next level. If we all thought like that magician 4, what is the point in any DVDs, or books, or tricks, as then we will all be trying to be the creator of the book or DVD etc.
James
I cant wait for your dvd mate
I pre ordered from alakazam, any idea how soon they will be sending them out?
cheers mate
all the best for your new release
matt
ps. are you going to http://www.cumcis.co.uk ?
I noticed your just along the coast from me.....
cheers!
Even though I dislike James Brown clones I believe the watch on shoulder is a modern classic yes but should it cause this argument no. If there was a watch on my shoulder my reaction would be 10 x immense. think about this and maybe all our magic can be strong. I will be getting this DVD. the shoulder material is worth the price alone.
Me too!
lets wait and not speculate
those who like his dvd when it arrives, then please share it with us
those that don't like the trailer, then go back to your "home movies"
well done james, and thanks for sharing your work with us!
Message: Posted by: magic 606379759132 (May 4, 2006 05:10PM)
When will this project see release please?
I am awaiting shipment of my purchase
Mr Nardi and or James Brown please tell me when I will get it
I must learn these secrets
Please tell me that all is ok with the duplication process
Let us know please
There has been some delay on publication. Alakazam is hoping to resolve this issue asap (so am I!!). For more details please contact Alakazam direct.

James Brown
P.S. I am hoping it will be very soon though!
James,

I just ordered it from your website.

What kind of ETA am I looking at?

Cheers,

James Harrison
Anyword on the release date yet????
You need to contact alakazam direct. http://www.alakazam.co.uk
This sounds pretty good. Just checked James Brown's site and noticed that he has a comment from Luke Jermay about how great this DVD is. Luke has never lied to us before: If he says it's good then we know darn tootin that it's going to be one heck of a DVD!
I'm looking forward to this DVD very much. I've seen James work and his material is fantastic.

Thanks,

Royce K.
I am going to be getting this on Luke Jermay's recommendation alone.
For those interested there was a delay on the release but was informed by james it should be available in about 3 weeks.
Important Information

For reasons that have recently come to our attention, we have made the decision not to pursue the DVD project “Fancy a Pot of Jam” by James Brown. Anyone who ordered this from Alakazam Magic will be refunded in full. Those who ordered from James direct will need to contact him.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Kind regards.

Peter Nardi.

http://www.alakazam.co.uk
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 17, 2006 08:42AM)
Is the DVD still going to be released though?
Apparantly not.
there is an obvious problem here in the fact that a lot of the material is similar to a certain other magician
which is a shame, I have the dvd with the material on, but was looking forward to getting the pot of jam dvd anyway -
Tricky Chris could you tell us what this other DVD is, so we may try and purchase this as an alternative. PM me if you don't want to say it in an open forum.
Nick
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 18, 2006 12:22PM)
So not available at all? I thought it was just not going to available through Alakazam, but James would still be selling it
No, alakazam were producing it,
Sorry - let me explain a little better - from the demo of the dvd I saw - there seemed to be a bit of material from from the greg wilson's dvds - something which I mentioned early on in this discussion. I can't say how similiar the effects are but I've been told that the dvd is being pulled because "there was a problem with the material"
I love greg wilson, so I was looking forward to buying this dvd.
I hope james does put the dvd out him self - its always nice to see a magician perform in the real world -

-
I think, as Alakazam were funding this it is now dead in the water. I seem to recall that on Greg Wilson's DVD's he credits Apollo Robbins.
Yes - true
I spoke to alakazam, and they said the material used was not published so I'm guessing it is Apollo's as opposed to Greg Wilsons.
Nick
I am thinking it is James Brown the musician who is causing a trouble! Ha Ha.
There was also re capped...
If you are refering to Apollo Robbins coin on shoulder routine, it is published in a pamphlet called the art of stealing watches.

Plus most of Greg's routines you see on video are other magicians routines, which he has mentioned.

I have tried to contact Mr. Brown about whether he will be selling the dvd through his site or not, but I have not gotten a response yet.

I paid through his site, and not through Alakazam.co.uk. I hope Mr. Brown will be sending out emails to let us know what is going on.
Me too. Emailed him 2 days ago. No response yet.

Martino.
Hi guys,

Just to put you all in the picture to save anything kicking off. James is currently away on holiday and will not be back for around ten days. Hence there have been no replies to e-mails or refund requests. I am sure that he will deal with all of this upon his return.

Kind regards.

Peter.
Hi guys,

I spoke to James yesterday, he`s out of the country at the moment so please be patient. James is a great guy and a brilliant magician and he will refund all monies, so don`t worry. It`s true that the DVD has been pulled which is a big shame, James is such a strong performer and this DVD would have taught you some of the most commercial magic one can do, but it`s James` psychology and timing that made this DVD stand out from others. I think the whole situation stinks and I just feel for James and Alakazam who put so much time and energy into this project.
All the best,
Gary Jones.
Today's limerick:

There was a young magician called Apollo,
Who said “Wherever I go, others will follow.”
“I’ve put a coin on their shoulder,”
“What could be bolder?”
“Their watch? D*mn! Now my victory’s hollow!”

Thanks,

Royce K.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 19, 2006 06:27AM)
Thanks for clearing that up Gary and Peter
Hi,

Just to put the record straight, my father vanished a coin and it appeared on my shoulder and that was over 25 years ago. I've been loading coins under watches for over 10 years and my father did a version of re-cap over 25 years ago. How can anyone claim these as their own. For years magicians have found impossible places for vanished items to re-appear.

IMO James Brown improved what was already in the magic domain. No-one has the right to call these effects their own. If anybody should be taking legal action it should be my grandfather who taught my father in the first place.

Magic is full of ego`s and some people will go to any lengths to claim originality over such obvious tricks. I was told by a top magician recently that the guy who taught him did a thimble routine and the last thimble appeared on his shoulder, and that was over 40 years ago.

Most magicians who know me will know that I've been doing coin under watch and a pen routine way before a certain couple of DVD`s were released. I`m not going to sue these people due to the fact that these tricks are not mine, they`re so old no-one really knows where they came from.
All the best,
Gary Jones.
Yeah, thnks Gary and Peter. That puts my mind at ease.

Martino.
Message: Posted by: magic 606379759132 (May 19, 2006 10:25AM)
I need this secrets more than ever before now.
Do not keep this infromation from us.
We all need to learn.
To learn from James Brown.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 19, 2006 11:08AM)
The methods explained by James Brown on this DVD are different to that taught in other DVDs and Manuscripts. For example, James has a 1 coin routine whereas in other sources to this effect, 2 coins are used. James has great misdirection, and everyone has different techniques. As Gary mentioned, new effects are almost impossible in modern magic to come across, but new mthods and improvements are open. James has great improvements and thoughts on classic effects, created many years ago. I am still up for this being produced and hope all is reconsidered
I'm not sure the history here, but I do know that Apollo has been doing the coin on shoulder routine for many, many years and has taught it on lectures.

Greg
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 19, 2006 01:05PM)
But, for well over 15 years, Gary Jones has been performing this, anyone at the Plymouth or Exeter Magic Circle in the UK and many others can all agree he has been performing this for over 15 years, and Gary learnt it from his Grandad who had known about it for years before that. In magic, I personally don't think anyone can claim originality on anything, as you never know what someone on the other side of the world has created. Sompe people don't release their effects and ideas as they are theirs, its what makes them different to other magicians. Yes this mayhave been put into print or DVD or Video many years ago, but this still doesn't give someone sole right to claim it as theirs and tell others they can't use it or improve on it
Oh, boy, what a "messing of your minds" here. Well, I've now gotten to see both sets of clips: Appollo's and Mr. Brown's. Wow!! Talk about a direct rip-off!! Not only is the routine the same, but the wording, presentation, structure, philosophy and theory is all the same... practically word for word. As a matter of fact, you could probably superimpose the clips and it would echo each other.
Apollo has had years of training in dance and Akido and has applied those moves and ideas to his work... Did James also study both of those arts?
First, let me applaud Mr. Nardi for being such an honest guy to instantly realize that he was ripped off and his audience would be ripped off. I salute you, Peter. It took him 30 seconds of watching the clips to realize this had been stolen. 30 SECONDS!!!
And Mr. Brown also stole from Gregory Wilson... without credit and without improvements.
It's almost laughable that Mr. Brown would say he has never seen Apollo perform this... when Mr. Brown performs this effect it's like watching a third-rate Las Vegas Elvis impersonator... he has all the moves, gestures, mannerisms and even vocal patterns, but it's still a Xerox copy.
The more I see this stuff happening the more I am sickened by this community. Wow, you don't know how disgusting and frustrating it is to see someone's hard work get stolen so easily. I guess many will never know because you can only feel that way when you create something and then it is stolen.
Please, please, I beg you guys to stop asking for this DVD. It is stolen material, stolen words, stolen gestures, stolen philosophy, stolen routining, stolen magic... STOLEN!!! It's almost ironic that Apollo has had a career based on pickpocketing and now someone has pickpocketed part of his life.
It's just plain sick and I know many will not understand or care and many will attack me for saying these things.
I am lucky to know many that actually care about what goes on in this community and I hope they stand up and fight this.
Peter Nardi, you will now be the first dealer I think of when I purchase an item in the future or decide to put out an item. Congratulations on not letting money be your guide. It makes me feel good to see someone in your position do the right thing.
Well, to everyone else, please take a hint from Nardi's decision and don't back anything from Mr. Brown on this matter.
Greg
Message: Posted by: magic 606379759132 (May 19, 2006 03:03PM)
This is all interesting
Is it possible Apollo robins learnt the coin on shoulder from Gary Jones's grandfather and greg wilson learned recap from him also?
[quote]
On 2006-05-19 16:03, magic 606379759132 wrote:
This is all interesting
Is it possible Apollo robins learnt the coin on shoulder from Gary Jones's grandfather and greg wilson learned recap from him also?
[/quote]

Whether this is suppose to be funny or not, it's not just the idea of a coin on the shoulder... it's that the entire routine that Brown teaches is exactly the same, move for move, gesture for gesture, patter line for patter line... as if he is channeling Apollo.

greg
Is this true, Greg?

I've seen Brown perform this and end with loading the spectator's own watch onto their own shoulder.

When I saw Robbins lecture, he didn't end that way, but had a weaker ending.

If Brown has improved the ending, then it's not fair to say that his routine is "exactly the same"...

This is a genuine question - I'd like to know your thoughts.

Also, Brown's 'Pot of Jam' routine seemed like an original piece of thinking. I don't know what else was supposed to be on his DVD, so I can't comment. But when I saw him lecture he had some great original ideas - it seems a shame to slam his whole DVD because of one routine... Particularly when there seems to be no PROOF that he stole anything, just opinions...

After all, he is the Magic Circle 'Close-Up Magician of the Year'. With the big names that are on that voting panel, surely they must have seen some merit and originality in his work?

I have long been a fan of Gary Jones' creativity and skill and I would imagine that most serious UK magicians will be aware of his long-standing work on these kind of plots.

In fact, when I saw Robbins perform, I thorougly enjoyed it, but thought that his style reminded me of Chappy Brazil and his material of Gary Jones. Stellar company...

Thanks,

Royce K.
Hi magic606379132,

If you think your remark is meant to be funny then your mistaken, I find it an insult to me and my family. What is going on here in this debate is serious stuff.

To put the record straight, my father did a pen routine with a pen and two caps, it wasn`t anywhere near as good as Gregory Wilson`s (he was a hobbiest magician) but it was a standard routine most people would have come up with by themselves.

Coin on shoulder/under watch has been around for ever, I would imagine it was invented just after money was first used, prior to that it would`ve been chicken on shoulder, your misdirection had to be good though.

My father would do a very dodgy French drop and then put his hand onto my shoulder and leave the coin there. He also used a hook coin and stick it to my back, I now use a hook coin for coin on shoulder, it`s a sure fire way to keep the coin in place. I`m claiming this idea as mine but if anyone else has done this before I won`t threaten you, it just means we share the same thoughts and ideas. Everyone, please feel free to use this method, it really is the best method to keep a coin on any shoulder.

I`m not sure but I believe Max Malini also did coin on shoulder, I`m sure there are people reading this who would know this for certain.

I can understand that both James and the other people involved in this dispute have valid reasons for their actions, but I would be careful when it comes to claiming certain moves as their own.

How many times have you come up with a move or an effect only to be told it`s already in print.

I just hope this all ends very soon and all parties can shake hands and start again. The people involved in this dispute are all top guys and bloody good magicians, they share the same ideas and they also have the same styles, fast paced and ballsy magic which takes guts to perform. Magic needs people like this so wrecking peoples careers isn`t the best way to keeping them in the business.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
Okay, let's put it this way... this is similar to what happened with the Ultra Mental Deck... you now know it as the Invisible Deck. Sure the original idea for the deck was around, but suddenly a great magician like Don Alan puts his own spin on it and then everyone wants to do it that way... without crediting the originator of that patter and presentation.
So maybe some guys had thought of putting a coin on someone's shoulders, but did they all come up with the same patter, presentations, moves, style and justifications? That's when you have to go, "Hmmm?"
Do you actually believe that someone can not only independentally come up with the same routine, but the exact same handling, the exact same philosophy, the exact gestures, etc? It took Peter Nardi 30 SECONDS to realize that he was seeing a ripped off routine. Do you think Mr. Nardi is just not wise to the ways of magic and creation? 30 SECONDS!!!
Look, this is going to go nowhere. There are those that will always want the best... no matter the cost or how it was gotten... but I'm glad that someone of Mr. Nardi's name and reputation stood up and said, "This will not happen on my watch." Hopefully, more will join him.

Greg
Hi Greg,

I haven`t seen the person who is in dispute with James Brown do the Coin on Shoulder routine, but I`ve seen the DVD of the other guy who does this and James` method and presentation is different. I haven`t seen ----- lecture so I can`t compare styles etc.
All the best,
Gary Jones.
Message: Posted by: magic 606379759132 (May 20, 2006 01:43AM)
If this is all true alakazam are bad for putting this DVD out
No answers to any of my questions, I notice...

Royce K.
Magic 606379759132. It has become obvious from this thread and others that you are a disruptive person who has nothing useful to add to this thread or indeed this forum. It is quite clear from the thread that Alakazam are NO LONGER GOING to put this DVD out after Mr Nardi realised that the material wasn't original.

I do not condone theft of material in any way, but Apollo's routines have been published in lecture notes and he has lectured around the world on his own material. Perhaps a case of performing the published/lectured material without putting his own personality into it in Mr Browns case? I have seen neither Mr Brown perform nor Apollo lecture (although I do have his notes) so can say no more than this. Why not give Mr Brown the opportunity to resond once he returns from his holiday?

Martino.
Hi magic606379132,

I`m not sure if you`re on some sort of self destruct mission but you`re either having a wind up or you`re totally missing the gist of this debate.

Alakazam did not know any of this, do you really think Peter Nardi would spend many hours and loads of money to produce a rip off DVD, I would be very careful in what you say from now on. If you`re making these comments just to wind people up then I would really like to meet you face to face.

Gary Jones
Hi Guys

I would just like to clear one thing up. I pulled the DVD for the reason that I felt the routines were similar and not that I believed James had stolen them. I have only known James for a short while but I have found him to be a fair man. James has told me repeatedly that he has not seen Apollo lecture and I have to believe him as I have no proof to suggest otherwise.

We take rip off's and copies very seriously and would never knowingly
infringe on anyone else's routines but I have to put this down to some sort
of weird coincidence.

Apollo asked me to help with an article on stealing to be published in the
Magic magazine and I made my position clear that I would help and give my
thoughts but I would not convict James until I have seen proof. I like to
see all people as innocent until proven guilty.

I have lost a lot of money and time in this project but at this moment in time do not hold James responsible.

Best Regards

Peter
Hi Peter,

Well said, I know for a fact that James HAS NOT seen Apollo lecture.

The claim here is that James is using the same effect invented by Apollo, also the same patter, movements, techniques and mannerisms.

I was with James during the development of many of his routines, we came up with different methods and techniques during many hours of sessioning. I too have not seen Apollo lecture, I have his Culture Exchange DVD`s which I have to say are two of the best DVD`s I`ve ever seen for quality and so much useable material. I`m sure a few of Apollo`s mannerisms have rubbed off on me, he`s such a strong performer. If they have then that`s a compliment, I never intentionally set out to copy anyone.

I believe it is possilble for two people to have the same mannerisms ect, I also believe James didn`t deliberately set out to rip or copy anyone. As they say, "great minds think alike".

All the best,

Gary Jones.
Greg Arce-

Please do not take this as me stirring the pot, I'm only after some answers.

I watched both James Brown's dvd demo and his promo video, and I have Apollo Robbins on Guerilla magic, mondo magic and his promo video.

I didn't really see much similarity with the too performers.

It was like watching two boxers, Apollo moves with grace and skill, where James Brown has a different flavour to his work.

What routine is it that James does similar to Apollo's?

Again, not stirring, just curious
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 20, 2006 12:05PM)
Apollo gave me a phone call yesterday to clear some things up and to give me both sides of the story. Apollo is saying that James in one of his routines is using the exact moves, patter and mannerisms etc. Apollo hasnt taught any of these moves or mannerisms etc on a DVD, he saves them only for his lecture, yet when he watched the DVD, he saw his material that he strived to keep going to public to every magician. This is his main problem with the DVD. Apollo just wants an apology from James and a confession. No-one can say for sure whether James has or hasnt seen Apollo Lecture, but as Gary is a friend of mine, when I last spoke, he assured me James had NEVER seen the lecture as they are friends.
Now I have both points of view, my mind is clearer on a lot of things, and I thanks Apollo for that. He also wants to thanks Peter Nardi for noticing the similarities and pulling the plug on the DVD. There is no need for arguements, and I hope when James gets back, all involved can make up and all can be left behind
[quote]
On 2006-05-20 08:26, James Harrison wrote:
Greg Arce-

Please do not take this as me stirring the pot, I'm only after some answers.

I watched both James Brown's dvd demo and his promo video, and I have Apollo Robbins on Guerilla magic, mondo magic and his promo video.

I didn't really see much similarity with the too performers.

It was like watching two boxers, Apollo moves with grace and skill, where James Brown has a different flavour to his work.

What routine is it that James does similar to Apollo's?

Again, not stirring, just curious
[/quote]

I have seen both videos of this particular routine... I don't know how James performs his other routines, but in this one each beat, each step, each nuance looks like it's an exact copy of what Apollo has already done.

Greg
I can't see the apollo robbins promo, for some reason, can anyone send me a working link t it, maybe someone could post it on one of these video hosting sites?
Nick
PM James Brown he has got an old lecture video of Apollos.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 21, 2006 11:28AM)
Walsall, the video require Quicktime to view the demo video on the wensite
Christopher Williams, have you a link of the promo?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 23, 2006 01:49PM)
http://www.mccartytalent.com/Entertainers/Specialty_Acts/Apollo_Robbins/apollo_robbins.html
Hi,

I`ve just had a long chat with James Brown and I`ve also had the opportunity to watch some clips of Apollo doing his coin on shoulder routine.

Yes there are some similarities but there are good reasons for this. To load an object onto someone, you must consider gravity ie; to stop the object from falling off the shoulder/back of hand etc you have to place that particular body part into a certain position. Both James and Apollo use very similar techniques for this. During many hours of sessioning with James we also came up with these types of methods for loading and blocking etc, it is the obvious thing to do, it`s really the only way to stop the coin falling off the shoulder. When you practice this type of magic, (touchy/ballsy type magic) you have to use very strong audience management and moves which will block and lock the spectators movement.Paths are bound to cross due to the type of magic being performed and taking gravity as a major consideration in the construction of this type of effect.

During James' routine the coin is only loaded onto the spectators shoulder once. His routine starts out with coin in eye, followed by coin on shoulder, then coin under their watch and ending with a watch steal and their watch on their shoulder.
This by the way is performed with just one coin. The emphasis is on the watch steal and their watch appearing on their shoulder.

In Apollo`s routine, the coin appears on their shoulder twice but the emphasis is on the coin under the watch at the end. I think in the clip I saw he had to abort the watch steal so his ending is normally different from the clip I saw. I believe Apollo starts out with just one coin then brings another one into play during the routine.

As you can see from the above there is a huge difference in the routines, yes they do have similar styles, this is due to the nature of the magic being performed. Watch two pickpockets perform, you will see similar styles, blocking techniques and similar methods of misdirection being employed.

I just think it`s a shame that this whole project has been scrapped due to some IMO false allegations and the way people have tried to wreck James' reputation.

I really do not think anyone should be claiming coin on shoulder as their own, also coin/chip on shoulder appears on some of the Gregory Wilson DVD`s so it`s already in the magic domain. I really believe James has improved or at least changed it enough to warrant it being seen by a larger audience.

I suppose magic is full of big ego`s due to the nature of the business but when it comes to trying to damage reputations I take that seriously.

All the best,

Gary Jones
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 24, 2006 06:07PM)
Can I ask, is it just this one routine that is the reason for the DVD being stopped? Though after speaking to Gary and Apollo, and emailing James, I still see no reason for the DVD to go ahead. There seems to be one routine stopping it going ahead. This routine has valid grounds to go onto the DVD, but even if people don't want it on there, leave it out and release the other work
Hi all,

Check out page 258 in The New Modern Coin Magic by J.B.Bobo,

"Milton Kort tells me of an interesting experience he had with a hook coin and another magician. He pretended to place the coin in his left hand, but retained it in his right. Then as he gently pushed his friend back so the others could see, he hooked the coin on his sleeve. Having a little knowledge of trick coins, the magician smiled knowingly and felt his shoulder and found the coin."

There you have it, copyright July 1952.

I think this ends all debates, now can the James Brown DVD be finally released.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
Message: Posted by: Preston Lavericke (May 25, 2006 09:07AM)
There it is folks, in green and white.
I want to add my name to the petition along with Gary Jones, Luke Jermay et al - let's this product released so we are all allowed to unleash the wonder once and for all.
Don't deny our dreams.
In fareness to Luke Jermay he has not sullied his good name in all this... his quote was a personal remark about my work rather than a direct endorsement of the DVD. I wouldn't want him drawn into something that could tarnish his standing in Las Vegas.

BUT... Thank you all for your comments...

James Brown
I saw James perform at The Session convention earlier this year and he was brilliant. I was very much looking forward to seeing his DVD. I hope things can be sorted out and that the DVD can be finally released.

Iain.
Likewise, I too was very much looking forward to James`s DVD. Alas. Im sure the whole escapade over this DVD has been quite upsetting for those involved. I personally think the whole thing has been ridiculous. James Brown deserves to do well. He is a superb entertainer who contributes so much quality and enthusiasm to magic. Knowing James and his work and determination this will not be the last you here from James. Guys like this deserve the appreciation they work so hard for, and in this fickle world of magic we choose to live in, lets give a little back to those who give so much.

James - don't let the ***s get you down!

Paul Knight

p.s. I am not trying to lick James`s butt here, hell, I wouldnt lick my own, and remember, as I often tell young blonde girlies, its not the size of the wand that counts - its the magic in it.
Just wondering.
Has anyone received a refund from Mr. Brown as yet? I had placed an order for the DVD, but I just found out about the decision to abandon the project.
Patrick
The project has not been abandoned... simply halted for the mo. Plans are under way to bring you all something soon... Including stuff that till now I was not willing to divulge. Keep watch.

With regards to refunds... Anyone that thinks they are still owed contact me direct via magic@jbmagicman.co.uk, although my paypal account tells me everyone recieved a refund weeks ago.

All the best

James Brown
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jun 15, 2006 11:43AM)
Looking forward to the new release James
Cheers Chris
Any idea on the time scale until we get look forward to getting you release james?
thanks, and all the best with the project
matt
4 - 6 months we hope.
Hi all

I thought you might like to know that filming and editing has been completed... DVD will be released soon...

Brainless Travellers:

A THOUGHT of cards move from packet to packet, then without touching the cards ANOTHER THOUGHT of card passes across. Any pack of cards can be used. No gimmicks or anything....

James Brown
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Aug 10, 2006 01:20PM)
Awesome!!! I heard about this effect a little while ago, should be great to see it in action! When you say soon, is that more or less than a month?
What other effects will be on the dvd james,will it contain any of the effects that were planned for the original.
I hope so, some of them sound like killers.

Mike
Hi all

The DVD will be available in about a month. The material is the same as the original without the coin routine. Coin under watch and the watch steal are covered though. There are 2 new effects... Brainless Travellers and a signed card to sealed envelope... where the spectator performs the entire routine. Keep your eyes on http://www.alakazam.co.uk for a fun trailer.. I will say nothing else...

I will be lecturing at Internation and including a couple of routines that are not on this DVD but I am planning another project next year.

How does this sound... repeat card under box, in box, with a though of card, whilst the spectator is HOLDING THE BOX!

Hope that wets the appitite

Yours

James Brown
http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk
Sounds nice...

Mike
The teaser trailer is now up on Alakazam,

I would recommend taking a look, it won't tell you what is on the DVD but does let you know what james has been up to for the last 6 months.

I look forward to getting my hands on what is sure to be one of the highlights of this year

DAve
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Aug 18, 2006 08:09AM)
I couldn't find the video :(
Hi Christopher,

Just refresh our front page and it's playing on the Alakazam Video Player!

Regards

Peter
Hi Guys,

The wait is nearly over. You can pre order the new James Brown DVD (still fancy a pot of jam) on my site now http://www.alakazam.co.uk and if you pre-order before this date you will get it at a special price!

This DVD contains effects that helped James win the title of Magic Circle Close Up Magician Of The Year 2006!

Regards

Peter
What is the coin routine that's not on the new release?
by the way, I'm very pleased for you james, peter and co. that you got over the hurdles and got this one together!
Oh, peter, when are you gong to be sendng these out ?
Hi Matt,

We should have these ready for release in 4 weeks!

Regards

Peter
New Trailer just gone up on our site.

Peter
That's great peter......
looks great peter......
but....................
why the 4 week wait peter! ;-)
It is with the duplicator now. They have stated two weeks but I like to add a couple on just incase there are any delays!

Remember you have until the end of this week to pre-order at a special discounted price. On Saturday the dvd will increase to the normal price!

Regards

Peter
Thanks mate
my payday is thurs day, so count me in!
on a slight tangent, do you have a timescale for the stealth assassin acessory pack/dvd?
cheers
matt
Just so you know, I am now taking orders direct from my website http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk and am happy to ship overseas.

James Brown
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Aug 27, 2006 02:23PM)
Why has the price been raised before it said it would? Yesterday I almost ordered etc, then waited a day for a couple funds to come my way, then I went to do it today and its back to full price.
Yesterday, it said pre-order before September 1st and you can get it for £21.99.
About 4 days before that, and it has already gone up to £24.99
That's an issue you will have to take up with Alakazam. If I lecture at a society I will be selling the DVD at a discounted price. As advertised I will be at International in November.

James Brown
Any update on this dvd Peter?
DVD should be out middle of this next week!!

http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk

James Brown
It's time to taste the jam!

I am pleased to annouce that this DVD is noe is stock and ready to ship!

Peter Nardi
http://www.alakazam.co.uk
Way to Go Peter !!
Thanks to all those that have supported this through the unpleasant events that lead up to its release.

If you have brought it already I would love to hear your thoughts...

If you have not bought it... http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk

Cheers

James Brown
Hello,
I think it's impossible to compare Appolo to james.
Appolo gesture is so specific.
I got james brown dvd and I like his work.
But james is not a great pickpocket(5/10 magicians steal leather watch)
I watched him does a pickpocket demonstration he stolen a man less 1mn,stupid thing..) it was so rubbish.
No class,I saw a cow steal a personn.
Please don't compare James to Appolo about pickpocket.
james is a good magician
Apollo is an excellent pickpocket