(Close Window)
Topic: Simply Devastating
Hi everyone! I just wanted to let you guys know that my lecture notes can now be had on-line. For those of you who pm'ed me expressing interest... I'm sorry about the wait. My wife is pregnant; so doctor's appt's and late night ice cream cravings have been taking up most of my time. The on-line release is about a month late. My bad. If you download a copy, please pm me and let me know how you like the notes. The forward is written by Todd Robins. He's a member here at the Café, and also an effects consultant on Criss Angel's Mind Freak. Part of the forward can be read on-line.

I hope you guys like the notes. They're entitled "Simply Devastating" and they contain some nasty effects. Each piece is straight out of my working sets... so they are deffinately well thought out. You get the effect, method, and even a little mini-lecture on the end of each effect called "adding impact". This small section goes over the details concerning timing, stage direction, and increasing the magical moment.

Thanks again for your time and patience with this project... I hope you consider it well worth the wait!

Michael Paul
Sounds incredible if I do say so myself...

Thanks for the info, I will definitely look harder into this product!

Tanner
Thank you, the response to the hard copies have been off the wall. I hoping that someone that has grabbed the e book will review it for me.
This sounds very good. But I would like to read a review.
LOL, so would I. I hoping that someone reviews these notes in the next day or two. Check back.
I'll do me best!.I bought these mainly for the 'Spectator cuts to the Aces' plot which I've always liked.And I am very pleased with what Michael Paul offers.
You get a large file which contains a video of all the routines being performed in a busy bar enviroment also a pdf of the routines so you can just read the notes
first.Todd Robbins says in the forward that the effects are direct and they are!
'Burn' is an easy to do revelation of a card with a burnt initial of the spectator appearing on the cards back.Great use of flash paper.All I should say about the 'Spectator cutting to the Ace's is easy estimation.I know some similar things have been done with this but I'm sorry I can't give a reference.
My other favourite is a twist on Dai Vernons 'Triumph'.I could tell you the idea in one sentence but you also get a great video of some great card handling by Michael Paul. The Tossed out deck is really thoughts and additions to the David Hoy classic. Some of his tips and thoughts on Magic reminded me of Eugene Burger.
Up untill now the 4 Ace trick I used to do to amuse myself was the Henry Christ
'Fabulous Four Ace trick' and now I've got another Ace cutting routine to amuse myself with so I found these to be a good buy.
I have had these notes for about two weeks. I am not a heavy duty card guy, but there are two effects in here that I am now doing regularly. If you like strong, direct magic; you will like Michael Pauls thinking.
Viano
Thanks for the compliments. I was having an adult beverage last night with the very crazy Simon Lovell, and we where having a jam session based on these routines. We came up with so many great ideas that Simon has offered a bonus to go along with the notes. Once the bonus is completed, the extra section will be e mailed to everyone who has purchased the notes.

Thanks!
Thank you! A great idea,there is also a great strategy for dealing with the question 'Your the magician,you tell me what card I was thinking of'for anyone who
performs the Invisible deck in the bonus section of these notes.
Michael,

Great fun hanging out with you. Give me a call sometime as I have some other ideas for your effects that you may like (or indeed not!).

See you soon,

Simon
Had a fun night with Michael at the Oyster bar here in NYC going over the notes (along with sinking a few beers and downing a few oysters of course!). They really are very good (the notes, though the beer and food was good too), containing strong but pretty easy to do magic. I gave a fun extra ideas to him on the effects etc and can highly recommend them to those of you looking for great commercial magic!

Simon
Is there a link to get information about the notes?

Patrick Guida
Sure, visit Michaelpaulmagic.com/products
Thanks
Hi guys, after I bought Simply Devastating I received a mail from Michael asking for my opinion on the notes. This attention I really appreciated and I sent him a whole review, I told him I would post the review here after performing for real people, I did, so this is the review, it is the same I sent to Michael, I just added a few things I experienced when performing. Hope it is useful for you.

The introduction is great, built in me the sensation we were at a coffee house and gave me a lot about your personality and how you see magic, and I felt pretty identificated with your way of thinking, so this was a great start. The notes have great quality in their style and the correct photos (color photos, thank you) when they are needed.

THE INITIAL BURN
Flash paper needs to be used with very intelligent tricks, this is one of them. Also it could be a great opener, I like a lot Named by Richard Sanders and Graffiti by Sankey, although those effects can be done with any name, yours is an effect with a great impact not only as an opener, but findind the right moment can be killer. OKAY, AFTER PERFORMING I CAN SAY THIS REALLY KILLS, PEOPLE ACTUALLY CAN SEE HOW THEIR INITIAL ON A PIECE OF PAPER MELTS IN FIRE THROUGH THE DECK TO ARRIVE TO THEIR SIGN CARD, THAT HAS BURNT THE INITIAL ON THE BACK. THEY REALLY DON´T KNOW WHAT AMAZED THEM MORE. This is a trick were you have to find the right moment, you won´t be able to use it allways (although Michael has a suggestion in his notes if you want to perform it whenever you like, but I rather do it the other way), but when you find the moment you will kill your audience.

CARD TO SHOE
I am shure you have experienced this, you read a trick and ask yourself: Why I didn´t think about it? I have performed card to shoe using another card in may shoe and making a switch, or also not loading it in my shoe and pretending I hit it out, so this effect was a lightning to my head, and I can assure you I will be doing this a lot!!!

I did this just this last weekend, one of the greatest impromptu “card to impossible place“ .that I can say.

ON SPONGES AND ART
Great essay, I would appreciate reading things like this on every note I have purchased.

SPECTATOR CUTS THE ACES... NO REALLY, THEY DO...
This I can say I allready performed it like 5 or 6 times. I love it!!! It has fooled magicians and laymen as well. Very smart, this is killer. I am amazed myself when they cut on an ace, for me is incredible every time I perform it, nobody can explain how can you force them to cut in the ace, it is great when the spectator changes his mind and drops a few cards to change their selection in the cut. Great!!! (The notes have an error, page 14 and 15 are transposed) I just will add that this uses a regular deck, no grimps, no gimmicks, and the spectator really, really, really cuts the aces.

THE CALL
Probably, if I had read this effect when I was starting my career on magic, I would have complaint a lot about this effect. But I can say any experienced magician will appreciate this kind of hints, this little effects that when you find the oportunity it will make the audience start a religion on you, and will talk about you for ever, this is a great idea. I allways when starting Ambitious Card I start by shuffling the deck, then I take the top card, and ask the spectator to name any card on the deck, when they do I turn this card, if it is not his card I say „That would have been great, don´t you think?„ this brings a laugh, but once every 52 times they will say the card you are holding, and it is a nameless reaction. The call will be a nameless super reaction.

TOTALLY TRIUMPHANT
I like, time to time to do Vernon´s Triumphant, every time I am doing impromptu over a table, so this will be my new triumphant, a great ending.

NO TOSS DECK
I usually don´t do stage magic, I work in bars and streets, so I believe I won´t be using this a lot. For this kind of situations a prefer using Osterlind´s radar deck, however if I have the chance I will use your principle, of course this effect of reading minds without questions or other elements is what every mentalist wishes to do.

SAY WHAT?
Again, thank you for this

Bonus Ideas!
I love ID, I allways perform it when possible, your ideas will be used.

Recap,
Your style is great, when I was a younger magician, I wanted to learn new moves, you know? I thought that I would be a better magician increasing my sleighted hand abilities. However, I realised over the years, that it is important to have technique, but a good or bad effect is measured for what the spectator sees, what they believed happened, and this is when I am thankful for the café, and finding magicians sharing their work and art based on what an spectator must see and feel when a magician is performing. When a magician understands this, then he really has supernatural powers.

Hope you liked this review and find it useful, I sure recommend Simply Devastating, and I look forward to see more of Michael´s work.

Pablo Valdes
Thanks for the nice review, I'm glad you find the material useful. I've gotten a lot of e mails from guys who wanted to wait on this until the Simon Lovell bonus was done. I just finished this up, and it is now available. If you already purchased, I'll e mail this directly to you.

Thanks again!!!!
Michael,

I hope you'll send me the updates to make sure that I was making some sense on your great effects!

Simon
Yup, you made perfect sense...

check your e-mails, there are a couple of different format copies for you there. Thanks so much for all of the great ideas.

I just got this e mail from a top secret magic periodical producer:

"Gees, like I'm not jealous enough reading about your one-on-one breakout
session with Simon, you have to throw in the Absolut Girls and really rub it
in!

It really was a perfect topper to the "Devastating" notes. I had, ironically
enough, just re-read them a day or so ago and had been mulling a few things
over and then I get hit with a whole new set of ideas! It's a great
companion to the core set of notes and I'll probably end up reading through
it at least once more tonight before I go to bed!

Are these included with the download? I'd like to mention them in the AP!
review (which will be delayed, by the way, until the end of June as I try to
finish negotiating worldwide distribution before I am forced to release the
next episode... you won't mind international exposure, will you?)."

I think he liked it.
And yes, A copy will go out with each set of notes.
I have had these notes now for a while and the two effects I play with most are Initial burn and Spec cuts the aces. I love these two and am reading and think about some of the others. The stage stuff I prolly wont use , but it is fun to see the thinking!!! Great notes Michael!!!!!
I had some requests to put a teaser video up for this, the way that I did it for Show No Mercy. I put a very short teaser together today. it's at http://michaelpaulmagic.com/instantdownloads.htm

click on the link for Simply Devastating. You won't have to download it, the video is imbedded in the page.

Hope that helps.
Let me first say that Simply Devastating is my 2nd Ebook downloaded from Mike's Site. That should say something to all of you. I can't even begin to count the numerous effects I purchased over the years that were total trash or just never used. I'm quite sure many of you out there have had the same happen to you.

NOT SO with this purchase! This is fantastic , hard hitting, mind blowing material! I'm sitting here writing with a big smile on face. A big word of THANKS to Mike for this book. I only wish that all my purchases left me with the feeling I have now. I will definately use this material! I recommend everyone who wants hard hitting effects to drop what thier doing, put off that next purchase from a dealer and get Mike's Book! I guarantee you will be smiling with me. For instance, when you first perform Spectator Cuts the Aces and see the expressions from your audience you will feel like a kid again. This is wonderful stuff and in my opinion should be priced higher.

Great stuff Mike and I warmly thank you!

RandyM
Thank you very much Randy, for your business and for the kind words. I LOVE the spectator cuts the aces in Simp Dev (Duh!). Most people don't realize just how magical this routine is. The spectator cuts the pack, and they find an ace. PERIOD. It's the way magic should look. Anyways, I've made a special video just for that routine. It's a very informal performance for a couple of friends in a quiet room. You may be interested in it, as it's a contrast to the one performed in the busy, loud bar enviroment that's included on the performance video.

Enjoy!!!

http://www.michaelpaulmagic.com/aces.wmv
I recently purchased this book and I've been making my way through it, I intended to post a review once I'd finished the book and tested the routines... that was until I got to spectator cuts the aces.

I have played with many spec cuts aces routines over the years even though the whole thing never really overly appealed to me, however after reading (and now having tried out probably a dozen times or more) Michael Paul's routine, I'm hooked! I really am at a bit of a loss at how to describe just how well thought out and structured this routine is. It's a fooler and it's very empowering to your audience but not in the typical hokey 'blow on this, oh look you did the magic' kind of way. This is a brilliant routine, it's a keeper.

The initial burn and card to shoe are equally as good. I wont go right into them now because I've already used my fair share of bandwidth and I'm looking forward to getting back to the rest of the goodies in this book.

Just by the way, I now own everything that Michael Paul has to sell from his site, if you do magic for a living then you really need to get these ebooks.

Cheers
Billy James
Does Paul's "Spectator Cuts the Aces" work everytime? Or is it a little more variable?
Works just about every time. The only way it will not work is if the spectator purposely tries to miss.
Thanks, Michael... What is the skill level required to do this piece? Does it require a perfect faro?
No perfect faro nessicary... In fact there is a way of doing this without using a faro at all! I'd say the skill level is very, very low... but others may have an oppinion or two on your question as well. It's a routine that works on a very easy level... but you could add as much "heavy" work to it as you would like.
Michael,

Since you asked for feedback, I'd just like to say that I think these
notes are good value for money with several very usable real-world
routines and one absolutely genious "why-didn't-I-think-of-that" idea!

I predict the "No Toss" tossed out deck will join the repertoire of many
stand-up performers. It's an absolutely brilliant bit of thinking and the
routine and script you provide are easily worth the $25.

One little nit-pick. I think your notes could really benefit from a quick
editing job. There were many misspelled words and two pages were in the
wrong order. It took me a while to figure out.

But that minor quibble aside, these are fantastic notes and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Best,
James
Got it!

I can tell you that all material is great, it’s a worth buy. Period.

The notes contain useful material, easy and powerful effects.

These effects are very visual, funny and easy to perform. Also the performance video helps to clarify any question.

Congratulations Paul!

Now I’m chasing your “show no mercy” notes.
Thanks mind magic. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Please let me know what you think of Show No Mercy as well.
Well I finally did it. I had previously purchased "No Mercy" and "CUD" by Michael, but had not purchased "Simply Devastating" because I pretty much had my own versions of these effects. After reading his other material, I buckeld and ordered it and am I glad I did!! There are some very good, and I mean very good, ideas in here. If you do stage work at all, Michaels version of the Tossed Out Deck will definitely intrigue you. I will be adding this to my stand-up show very soon!

My favorite effect however is his version of the "Spectator Cuts the Aces". Great thinking here. Keep in mind, this is similar to other versions that are out there, but there are substantial differences that make it appealing. I cannot go into details for fear of exposure, but I am sure that Micheal would be more than happy to discuss this with you as his customer service is impeccable.

Speaking of customer service....GREAT!! Shortly after receiving the notes, I received an additional email from Michael with a video of real world performances of the effects along with a document of additional ideas from Simon Lovell. He also frequents the Café, so I'm sure you can catch him here as well.

All in all, a very good purchase for $25. I have purchased more expensive stuff with 10% of the good material in here. You won't be disappointed.
[quote]
On 2006-07-26 09:34, Brandon Harper wrote:

My favorite effect however is his version of the "Spectator Cuts the Aces". Great thinking here. Keep in mind, this is similar to other versions that are out there, but there are substantial differences that make it appealing. I cannot go into details for fear of exposure, but I am sure that Micheal would be more than happy to discuss this with you as his customer service is impeccable.

All in all, a very good purchase for $25. I have purchased more expensive stuff with 10% of the good material in here. You won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

Hey man, thanks a bunch. I'm really glad you like the SCA. I'll be doing a big video release soon with World Magic Media out of England. They are the same company that produces the Wizard PK rings (I love mine by the way!!). One of the featured routines is going to be the SCA with a bunch of new little twists, and a new plot that will make it VERY strong for even women and kids.

I'm also glad that you feel these effects are workers... I work in the real world, and wouldn't dream of releasing anything I wouldn't use myself.

Thanks for the review!!!
Michael knows I love his stuff. I have been using SCA since I read it over a month ago. It really is one of my fav effects. I use it almost daily. I cannot praise this enuf IMHO. And I am sure Mike knows I am buy hungry for all that he puts out, and will buy more when it shows up.......
Michael is my number 2 favorite magic inventer (no.1 : paul Harris)

I the reason I love his stuff is because its REAL WORLD MAGIC. this stuff actually works in the real situations!

Mikey! you rock!
Thanks guys!!!

be on the lookout for the upcoming release by Ellusionist... it's C R A Z Y!!!
Just bought the notes and downloaded the pdf. Is the "live performance video" the teaser on the website or am I missing a bit?

Shanester
Just bought the PDF but received no performance videos. Is there another link?

The PDF downloaded fine. I assumed the videos were part of the .zip package but that wasn't the case. Where can I obtain the video?
Hey guys, I've emailed you those links, sorry about the wait... I was at a gig.
Link came through. Don't expect you to be available 24/7 just wasn't clear about the way it was happening.
Notes look great, going to take time to digest them.

Love Show No Mercy too and have just started performing some of the stuff.

All the best

Shanester
Great, I'm glad you like show no mercy, I hope you like these notes as well. I really believe that Simon Lovell's contribution is what makes these notes sparkle... the man is pure genius (and certifiably insane... just ask the anyone that's seen him do the sound of music with the three blind mice puppet!!).
Hey Michael,

If my main interest is your handling of the "Spectator Cuts the Aces" effect, would you recommend the notes or waiting for the video?
Hmmm. Good question. I guess it depends on your perfered learning method. If you are more of a video guy, then the video would work best for you. Other people actually perfer books (or e-books). Your choice. Though the notes do have a couple of other interesting pieces.
[quote]
On 2006-08-25 13:42, Michael Paul wrote:
Thanks guys!!!

be on the lookout for the upcoming release by Ellusionist... it's C R A Z Y!!!
[/quote]What product is going to be released by E ?
Thanks, Michael. I'm probably more of a book guy, but I guess I asked because I wanted to know if there were going to be significant changes to the DVD or substantially more on it. If they are the same routine and the "value added" is about equal, I'd probably go for the notes.
Did you notice that Michael bears a slight resemblance to that "buster" guy from the sitcom "Arrested development" ?
***, now my secret is out... I am in fact "Buster" of Arrested Development.
Nice work.

Here is my take on it, but I've only looked at it over the last couple of days so
I will post more if anything changes from here.

One, I like seeing professionals at work. That is what made me want to get this.
To see what a professional is doing and how he/she interact with the crowd with
their magic. Nothing beats seeing the magic live like this. So the video is
an added plus to this download. I especially like the patter used for the ID.

Two, Initial Burn is nice, I read it inside and out. I am working on it right
now. I think I will definately add this to my rep. The tips in this peice is
very well worth noting.

Finally, for now, I love the spectator cuts to the aces. That looks really good.
I can't wait to actually use this.

Thanks and I can't wait to see more...

BTW, isn't "the call" and "card to shoe" known effects of other magicians?
[quote]
On 2006-08-28 21:12, solrak29 wrote:

Finally, for now, I love the spectator cuts to the aces. That looks really good.
I can't wait to actually use this.

Thanks and I can't wait to see more...

BTW, isn't "the call" and "card to shoe" known effects of other magicians?
[/quote]

Thanks very much... I guess SCA is a well liked piece amongst most of you guys, that's great, I use it ALL the time and I hope you do too.

As far as the call, there is one magician who is using something similar to this and he is credited in the notes. However, the extra touches that make the effect work 100% of the time (one from Simon Lovell and one from myself) make this routine stand out... and the method is completely different from the magician previously mentioned (yet he is still credited in the notes).

And card to shoe has been around forever. It's a very popular plot, like triumph or ambitious card. Sometimes though, card to shoe requires a special set up, and duplicate cards. My version is an anytime, anywhere worker. Angle proof, no set up, no dupes, any shoe, and very easy to do. The added bit about the card getting stuck inside the toe of the shoe drives home the illusion and sells the effect. Card to impossible location is killer, and this one just happens to be impromptu.

I hope that info helps you out. Thanks again for the kind words, if you need help with any of the routines, please feel free to let me know!

Mike
Ok, I read the Simon Lovel section and again it adds to whole package and drives
some points home. I'll be reading it again to absorb some of this stuff. The
section where you provide some insight also hits home and is motivating.

I see what you mean with the Card to Shoe...though I've done a similar routine
up untill the point you take your shoe off. Your handling adds to the impact as
you say...nice.

I finally got a chance to play with Cut to the Aces and the simplicity is astounding as well as the effect. The spectator cutting to the aces really hits
home with the spec and video adds justice to the description. Seeing you perform
it gives one very good ideas. Yet I do have questions on this, should I post
it here or PM you? I don't want to give anything away on this nice piece of work.
I have to say this is one of the better Ace magic peices I have learned to date.

Thanks again.
Anyone that has any questions about the routines in my notes (and has purchased a copy) can reach me at mike@michaelpaulmagic.com.
Michael,

I think I missed this. When is the DVD going to be released???
World Magic Media (makers of the Wizard PK Ring) are shooting it this month, and it should be out in the fall/early winter. It's going to have a lot of exciting work on it... and EVERY piece is going to be usable in real world situations... no fancy set ups or tough angles, just real world (killer) magic.

We're going to be having a lot of fun with the DVD as well... so this should be very entertaining.