(Close Window)
Topic: What do you call this whatchamacallit?
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Mar 27, 2006 11:21PM)
Hey guys,

Years (and years) ago, I learnt how to fold rectangular pieces of paper together to make a giant circle. You were then able to slide the pieces against each other towards the center, and the entire thing turned into a star.

Does anyone know what this was called and where I can find it? I'd love to learn this again as it was very magical!


Posted: Mar 30, 2006 5:08pm
Thanks to Sterling, aka Lefty, for his help on workin' this out.
Message: Posted by: leftytheclown (Mar 31, 2006 11:48AM)
You are welcome and I sent you another PM with additional information.
Message: Posted by: David Deanie (Jan 23, 2009 10:15AM)
That sounds really interesting- do you have a reference for it?


Message: Posted by: Experimentalist (Feb 26, 2009 12:52AM)
Robert Neale, his one of his origami (not magic) books has something like this.
Message: Posted by: leftytheclown (Apr 25, 2009 05:34PM)
I've taught it to high schoolers as part of a listening/following directions lesson. The movement of the pieces to form a octagan frisbee or a star coaster was well received.
Message: Posted by: David Eichler (Mar 9, 2012 06:32AM)
I agree - this does sound very interesting! Can anyone supply a reference for where one can learn this?
Message: Posted by: leftytheclown (Aug 29, 2012 04:16PM)
It is a modular fold that requires 8 square pieces of paper. YouTube link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9v7X80ypM

It is not difficult. Good luck.