(Close Window)
Topic: The Pangram Problem
[I]This still blows me away...[/I]

Only the fool would take trouble to verify that this sentence was composed of ten a's, three b's, four c's, four d's, forty-six e's, sixteen f's, four g's, thirteen h's, fifteen i's, two k's, nine l's, four m's, twenty-five n's, twenty-four o's. five p's, sixteen r's, forty-one s's, thirty-seven t's, ten u's, eight v's, eight w's, four x's, eleven y's, twenty-seven commas, twenty-three apostrophes, seven hyphens and, last but not least, a single !
If you like that sort of thing, start reading stuff by Douglass Hofstadter. Specifically Metamagical Themas. Actually, especially appropriate to mention that here since that book is basically (or at least partially), IIRC, a collection of stuff he wrote he took the place of Martin Gardner for Scientific American. Note that "Metamagical Themas" is a anagram of "Mathematical Games" :)

But yeah, he's got in one section of the book a bunch of stuff like that.
That really is VERY clever!

Can you imagine trying to write it?

Whatever you write changes what you wrote before....which changes what you wrote before...
It would be much simpler to post something that has, let us say, x vowels and y consonants.
In the above post I have done most of the work to make sure that it actually has a solution. What are the smallest numbers you should spell instead of x and y?

Struggling with composing the "simple" post above, I realized what an incredible task it must have been to form the first post in this thread.

/Tomas
.. these things MUST be computer generated! There is no way anyone could do it manually!
It would be much simpler to post something that has, let us say, twenty nine vowels and fifty nine consonants.

... may not be the lowest though!
No, and especially since your sentence had 32 vowels and 56 consonants. I can't believe you made me go through the trouble of counting them. ;)

/Tomas
Very funny!!!

Now count 'em again! - in my next post!
It would be much simpler to post something that has, let us say, twenty nine vowels and fifty nine consonants.
Ioueuieoooeiaaeuayeyieoeaiyieooa = 32
twldbmchsmplrtpstsmthngththsltsstwntnnvwlsndfftnncnsnnts = 56

I can't believe you made me do that again. Do you have some other definition of vowel and consonant?

/Tomas
Yes! :rotf:

..it's probably a English/ Swedish thing, but where I come from "Y" is a consonant!
I'm surprised - I really had no idea! "Twenty" sure sounds like it ends with a vowel. I know that there are many words where "y" gives a consonant sound, still I thought it was called a vowel. Can anyone please show me a site with definitions of wovels and consonants in english? It seems that if "y" is not a vowel then "u" probably is not one either because of its sound in "use" or "e" for its sound in "new" (maybe that is dialect).

I'm learning something new every day it seems. Happy to see that my sentence still had a valid solution. Thanks for finding it John.

Found a place to teach me what I did not know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel

/Tomas
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutother/lettery

.. is probably worth looking at... if you want to become confused - I am!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 31, 2006 01:05PM)
I asked my genius brother (not the scientist) how he thought the first quote was done. He said this:

"You ball-park the number with the majority of the sentence, and then you add the "Only the fool would..." part to balance it out.

The tip off for me is he didn't say "only A fool" and so I can see where he is tweaking things."
[b]An unusual question...[/b]

I was just wondering (throughout Tomas’s post), was it possible to submit a useful question in which A,E,I O and U occur an identical number of times (each)?

Or have I just answered my own question?
.. I doubt that anyone will bother to check, but my post above contains a,e,i,o and "u" fifteen times, (Which is why it doesn't read very well! Who would say " an identical number of times each" or "just wondering throughout"?)

I got the idea for the post in the pub on Friday night, came home and constructed the paragraph.

Amusingly??? My spelling isn't great, and I was just about to post it and realised that I had spelt "occur", "occour"! Correct it and I'm an "o" down so back to the drawing board and start again!

It took about and hour and a half to construct the paragraph, which included the time I spent writing a little program to do the counting for me.

If you like the original "Only the fool... " paragraph, there is a description of how it was actually constructed here.....

http://wordways.com/inquest.htm
...Just found ANOTHER puzzle! If you are wondering why the letter "u" above is in inverted commas, and the other letters are not, try submitting a post containing a lower case letter "u" on it's own! You can't!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 1, 2006 07:59AM)
R you sure? <-- This was typed lowercase "r" "u" sure, without the quotes.

I guess you r right. < same with this. I guess the Café capitalizes, and changes some single letters to words.

u. f. grant , <--that worked
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 1, 2006 12:42PM)
***Fool's Pangram***** 04/01/06

This sentence has 14 spaces, 1 capitol, 7 numbers, 52 letters, 5 commas, and a .