(Close Window)
Topic: Video of Vanishing Bandana being performed
Hi all,

Do any of you know where I could find such a video?

Ive read about the effect lots of times and I get the gist of it, but it doesn't sound funny at all.

However, I'd love to see it performed!

Many Thanks

Gary
Just do it, they will start laughing as soon as you pull out the bananna. I don't know where to find it on video other than Copperfield's 1986 Great Wall of China special. But if you just act like it is all a big mistake and that there is supposed to be a bandanna in there instead of a bananna then you will do fine.
Sure,

Well firstly this would be very hard to pull of here in the UK without putting on an American Accent,

Secondly, I still cant see how it could be funny. I'm not saying it's NOT, that's why I want to see it for myself :)

Gary
The first time I saw this effect, I felt the same way. I guess I didn't "get it."

Then I saw another magician do it ... more importantly, I got how the audience reacted to it. I now close my show with it. Crazy as it sounds, "the banana trick" is the one everyone remembers. And even though you might not think so, I have had people come up after a show and ask "Where DID the banana go?"

If you have any kind of flair for comedy, it can be a big hit. Unfortunately, I don't know where there might be a video available.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the reply.

Is the accompanying CD funny? Is it well produced or un-necessary?

Cheers

Gary
I beleive that joe pasquale has a few dvds/videos out on the market and on the extras of one of them there is a short clip of him doing this trick.........i think!
Gary, I still use the older version that came with an audio cassette. It is well produced; it isn't funny in itself, but it's all part of what makes the routine. I've told people it's my little nod to Red Skelton since it gives me an opportunity to do some pantomime in my show.

I should clarify that the first time I saw it performed (demonstrated, really) was at a dealer's booth at a magic convention. It took seeing it (years later) in front of a lay audience to realize what strong piece of entertainment it is.

Happy weekend!
Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
You could watch it in one of David Copperfield's TV specials. I don't recall which one.
The original recording is accepetable. However, I have tweaked my by using a different voice and by addind a humourous sound track behind it. I have been using this effect for years, TRUST ME - IT KILLS! Someone annoying actually. I spend thousands on illusions, and the $35 trick is more liked.

Another way I have heard of doing this, is have a kid come on stage and read you instructions of how to do the effect. Comedy Gold.

Careful not to get Bandana all over your sport coat.
RSD, you've hit the nail on the head! What is it about this supposedly simple bit involving a cassette tape, a DH, and a banana that strikes a chord with audiences? I can knock myself out for 35 minutes getting big laughs with my vent act, or flooring 'em with mentalism, and what they talk about later is the banana. But why fight it?

I'm thinking even an absolute beginner could do well with this routine. But if you have any kind of acting ability, any flair for visual comedy and reactions, this could potentially be your showstopper.

See ya!
Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
A few extra ideas...

1) Use an actual postage bag rather then the box it comes with

2) Put confetti or a yellow silk in the DH to draw attention away from

3) Don't react BEFORE the you hear the instruction.

4) Have a gift box in the audience for the whole show. Later on in your act when you
are meant be be reproducing a signed bill or ring etc reproduce the squashed banana.

5) Add longer pauses if you struggle getting the bag folded up etc.
Gary:

I also used this trick for a summer of shows last year and as a few of the others have said....it is a killer !!! The reaction is outstanding and it will most likely be the trick that your audience will remark or ask about. All you have to do is act it out as if you haven't a clue as to what is happening. People laugh so hard during this routine that I suggest you have the volume up on your player or recorder so they can hear the recording. If I could make a statement here, it would be " Stop all mental processing this moment. Go to the phone. Call your dealer and order it". After you get it and perform it you'll say " Now why can't there be more magic this great for les than $40?".
Hope you get it. It truly is a fantastic trick that you will love.

John
Thanks ever so much for all the replies and once again, thank you for forcing my wages out of my pocket and into the hands of that nasty magic dealer.

I'll let you guys know how I get on :)

Gary
Gary,

I have done a version of this trick as a skit (no magic involved)for about 40 years and it always gets laughs and is always remembered. Just remember it borders on slapstick. My version uses an assistant who mistakenly Picks up a banana instead of the bandana... Lots of by play and ends with the assistant smashing the banana on my (the world famous magician's)head. It is actually much easier now, 'cause when I started doing this I had a lot more hair and it was harder to get the banana out!

I have seen some very marginal performers do this trick (one using the CD version and one using the cassette tape version) and they both carried it off well. Any comedian will tell you, there is just something funny about a banana.

Do be careful with the banana...you don't want to send your tux to the cleaners after every set.

Tim
Hi Peeps!

The Vanishimg Bandana os one of my favorite comedy prop. I was able to purchase mine a few years ago and came with a cassette tape. You can only hear a voice but no background music.

So what I did was edit the whole thing and added some background music and sound effects and converted it into cd format. I've also adjusted the "gaps" to suit my timing and routine. Lately, they release an improved version of the said effect.

Hope this help!

Sal
I've watched people do it, I've listend to the CD myself. In my opinion it is a hidden prize for the entertainer challenged individual. There are only so many laughs you can get with this, whereas your own routine it is unlimited.
[quote]
On 2006-04-07 17:38, trickychris wrote:
I beleive that joe pasquale has a few dvds/videos out on the market and on the extras of one of them there is a short clip of him doing this trick.........i think!
[/quote]

I think its a great routine but personally I wouldn't do it. for the above reason.
Here in the UK it has been done to death I know of at least 6 magicians who do the routine. I got to a gig in a holiday centre the other night and the entertainments manager asked me if I did in his words "the banana trick" when I said no he said "Thank god for that" and went on to tell me that nearly wevery magic act that works there does the same routine word for word.

I can think of nothing worse that having someone look at your routine and in their eyes think that you stole it from someone else.
I agree wholeheartedly :)
Found one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj7CsypMxgU&search=comedy%20magic

Hope this helps!
Hello everyone!

You can all see this routine done the way it should be done by watching my 12 year old son do it for a local telethon.

Just go to our club website at http://www.geocities.com/ibm_ring_332/

Click on the multimedia links and start the first video. The Bandana routine is the third effect on the video. Make sure you watch the video all the way through as I finish with "Celebritie".

S. Patrick
One of my favorite tricks , in fact I translated the whole thing in maltese , and funnily enough I found the sock and sausage ryme in maltese infact only the first letter is different .
Just to clarify, the Vanishing Bandanna can be found being performed by joe Pasquale on his "The Everything I Have Ever Done..." DVD in extra features.

I personally use this effect as a time filler and never fails to get a great reaction. Its not the voiceover that makes it funny, its the facial expressions and they way you react to the CD that gets the laugh.

I have seen others do it and not get the reaction it deserves. If you can act the idiot this is a great routine. Of course, every entertainments manager on every holiday park in the UK has seen it, but it doesn't mean every person sat in the audience has seen it.

Mark
Of the 2 videos I've seen here, I like the first one best. (Jeff Christianson)
Cheech & Chong did this when they first became stars.
[quote]
On 2006-07-10 06:14, Bursky wrote:
[/quote]

In that case, I'll pass. If its good enough for them, it's NOT good enough for me :P:P
I agree with Smudge above. I love this trick but I had to quit performing it. The problem with it is that it is a great trick that is too easy to perform and too affordable. For those reasons, everybody who fancies themselves to be a magician in my market has got one as is performing it.
I have a video up
http://stupidvideos.com/video/comedy_vanishing_bandana_2/?p=14&y=97

if that wont work then try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAqHb7jVnjE

pm me let me know what you think of it
[quote]
On 2006-07-10 06:58, GarySumpter wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-07-10 06:14, Bursky wrote:
[/quote]

In that case, I'll pass. If its good enough for them, it's NOT good enough for me :P:P
[/quote]

Yeah, seeing as they've only sold a few million comedy albums and are household names and all.
Pyro, thanks for sharing your video. You really need to have the bandana and Hank in a box or envelope to start with to make the whole "they sent me the wrong object" gag to make sense. If the banana is sitting on the table then it doesn't really work.

I actually think the whole premiss of the magic shop that actually makes the trick sending the wrong thing doesn't make much sense anyhow. I've performed the effect a couple of times and the last time I went with the line of patter that I recieved the instructions yesterday and sent my little brother out to the shops to get the props.

George
[quote]
On 2006-07-19 07:56, magicgeorge wrote:
Pyro, thanks for sharing your video. You really need to have the bandana and Hank in a box or envelope to start with to make the whole "they sent me the wrong object" gag to make sense. If the banana is sitting on the table then it doesn't really work.

I actually think the whole premiss of the magic shop that actually makes the trick sending the wrong thing doesn't make much sense anyhow. I've performed the effect a couple of times and the last time I went with the line of patter that I recieved the instructions yesterday and sent my little brother out to the shops to get the props.

George

[/quote]

it makes no sence to me for a company to send you a banana in the mail.......... it doesn't need to come out of the box,, hat way is only copying the exact thing they suggested right when you did get it........... I'd rather play the moron, than the "why did they sem=nd me the wrong stuff? oh well I'm still going to do it anyways"
ya know?... thanks for sharing your thoughts though.... what did you think of the video overall?
This is one of my favorite effects. If I have time for one effect, this is it. I perform with the CD and act. The effect is all about acting. Giving the audience a chance to laugh is important. Laughter is, as we all know, one of the strongest expressions of delight!!

I'll watch the video in a few minutes and make comment as requested.

Regards,
Joe
[quote]
On 2006-07-25 14:31, joe.bacchus wrote:
This is one of my favorite effects. If I have time for one effect, this is it. I perform with the CD and act. The effect is all about acting. Giving the audience a chance to laugh is important. Laughter is, as we all know, one of the strongest expressions of delight!!

I'll watch the video in a few minutes and make comment as requested.

Regards,
Joe
[/quote]

thanks!,,,, what did you think?......... heck it almost won me 15,000 dollars
Watched the video. Thanks for making the video and providing us an opportunity to see you performing. Some thoughts.... I believe you are missing the "setup" for the effect. All humor has a "setup". Suggest you use the shipping box and introduce this effect with a "reason" for performing and why it was chosen. i.e. the "setup" Now this provides a basis for the effect and a reason for appearing as though you have made the big mistake by performing this for the first time.

Timing is important ....don't anticipate the CD. I drag the movements by waiting and waiting because I'm confused! Use your entire body to give a larger expression to the effect. I like the turned head to the "look natural" line, but suggest you lower the "plam" to your side and look the oposite direction for your "natural look".

I didn't mean to adjudicate here....but just play with this and have some fun. Show it in you face with big expression. The more comic like you can play...the bigger the laughts you will receive. If you are getting giggles...you need to adjust your presentation.

Have fun.

Joe
Pyromagician,
are you attending SEAM in B'ham next week? If so, see you there.

Joe
[quote]
On 2006-07-29 12:18, joe.bacchus wrote:
Pyromagician,
are you attending SEAM in B'ham next week? If so, see you there.

Joe
[/quote]

I'm afraid not,,, starting a new job on tuesday...

thansk for your reply to my video as well!
If I can add my two cents..... Absolutly the set up is a Big part of this effect. I have taken the Vanishing Bandanna One step Further ( to my knowledge nobody else does this and you are all welcome to add it to your routine) At the end of the routine you show that the Bannana Is indeed GONE As the CD Says "Remember a Good Magician Never Tells the Secret" At this point I reach in the Acme Box and Pull out a Yellow Bandana and wipe my forhead with it and then with a confusing look I glare at the bandana as if It was me that made the mistake and chose the wrong prop. Just my two cents.... It works well for me Maybe it will work for you as well
[quote]
On 2006-08-03 19:47, MagicB1S wrote:
If I can add my two cents..... Absolutly the set up is a Big part of this effect. I have taken the Vanishing Bandanna One step Further ( to my knowledge nobody else does this and you are all welcome to add it to your routine) At the end of the routine you show that the Bannana Is indeed GONE As the CD Says "Remember a Good Magician Never Tells the Secret" At this point I reach in the Acme Box and Pull out a Yellow Bandana and wipe my forhead with it and then with a confusing look I glare at the bandana as if It was me that made the mistake and chose the wrong prop. Just my two cents.... It works well for me Maybe it will work for you as well
[/quote]

haha I like it,,,
I have performed this effect a few times on kmy own, but I think it is much funnier when done in a double act. 1 of you reading out the instructions and the other doing the actions. You can play off each other and whisper to each other, as if it has actually gone wrong!
Amazingly simple and amazingly effective, absolutly brilliant!
I just did something with it the other day!!! I had someone come up to the stage with me and we each had our own box.... they had a banana in their box and I had the bandana and the trick worked out for me but they had a banana flying across the stage!
Gary
Does anyone know where I can download the audio file free?
[quote]
On 2006-08-11 22:52, tomthemagicman wrote:
Does anyone know where I can download the audio file free?
[/quote]

[begin sarcasm]
Sure! Then you don't have to buy it right?
I'm sure people would be happy to help you out
[end sarcasm]
Tom the magician. Buy the trick and invest in your professionalism, ethics and encourage the trade to develop new material for you!
This would be a great rountine for Laurel & Hardy.
Great advice from all guys-Thanks

I have a confession to make- I perform over a 100 shows a year mainly corporate as well as many shows in Full Theatres, clubs etc as I also tour with a International hypnotist countrywide & are the opening act & have a well established act

I have never performed the Vanishing Bandanna!!!-but after reading this forum I will give it a go in my next shows thanks to you all

Why I never now but one of my highlights after all the music segments etc is Silk to egg that plays well for 100 or 1000 people

I guess I thought too many people did this, bandanna- so wasnt worth the time to include this

I have this in my cupboard, picked it up recently-the new version with CD but have never used it!!

Will keep you posted

Thanks again from a working Pro

-Brent
Please do keep us posted! it's a brilliant effect and one that 'more or less' guarentees laughter. one of my favourites to be honest.

Richard
Any concern that it somewhat exposes palming to laypeople? If you actually use palming later in your show, will the audience be more suspicious/aware of the possibility after "learning how" with the banana?
[quote]
On 2006-10-08 23:17, magicbob116 wrote:
Any concern that it somewhat exposes palming to laypeople? If you actually use palming later in your show, will the audience be more suspicious/aware of the possibility after "learning how" with the banana?
[/quote]

no not really , if you execute plaming perfectly , no one should suspect it .
and remember while doing the banana trick , you are exagerating palming greatly
[quote]
On 2006-10-08 23:17, magicbob116 wrote:
[/quote]Terry Evanswood does a version where instead of saying "this is called palming" the audio says "this is called holding it in your left hand" which adds another chuckle
This is a funny effect! I love comedy magic. How did this get past me? I have not seen it before but now I have to get it!

Ah...the interesting places my magical journey continues to take me.

Mark.
The effect itself is funny, not hilarious but funny. What makes it hilarious is your presentation, reactions and your facial expressions. I've been performing this on and off for about 2 years now. The more I do it, the more I get better at it as I am able to add new expressions etc. I also have a "yellow bandanna" in my pocket. At the end, I pull it out to wipe my face and hands on. It's a funny little surprise for the end. :)

JIM
This one has just recently died for me. I've changed SOMETHING in my presentation and suddenly I get far less laughs!

Can't figure it out.
I'm just curious about something regarding this routine. I understand the plot of the tape saying to use a yellow bandana but all the magician has is a banana. And that the humor is that the magicain keeps going and folds the banana. But I was wondering if there are any other funny lines on the tape that plays. I'm just curious (because of my deafness). I can see how it'd be funny either way though.

Ron Jaxon
Am I the only person that does not like the voiceover for this trick? If I was going to perform this, I think I'd have a local radio personality re-record the script.
I don't want to give offense, but the lady on the tape does not sound like a pro.
JAXON,
I perform this 3-8 times a week in my stage show. One of the funny lines is "show the audience that is is a regular bandanna. If an audience member does not believe that is it is regular bandanna, allow him to wipe his face with it". At this point, I make a pointing gesture toward an audience member as if to say, "you wanna try this?".

Oh heck, maybe I'll just have them film me this weekend performing it and post it. :)

JIM
[quote]
On 2006-04-07 16:46, GarySumpter wrote:

Is the accompanying CD funny? Is it well produced or un-necessary?

Cheers

Gary
[/quote]
It's okay. In my opinion, it slightly rushes through a couple of places. The part where you pick up the piece of cloth, draw the four corners together to make a bag and drop in the banana is dictated just a fraction faster than I can move while still being smooth about it. Other than that, it's not too far off from what Copperfield did, (except, of course, that it's a female voice, rather than the voice of a Mr. Rogers impersonator). And that's the other thing...the lady's voice lacks...something. I don't know what; but it definitely lacks something.
Bendy,
I think the word you are looking for is "Personallity". ;)

JIM
When I saw this performed at Vegas by the Ladies of Magic, it wasn't that funny to me. Maybe I was focused on something else.

As for my own personal use, I don't get much consistent reactions with this. I try to do everything the same, exagerrated expressions and movements, but some audiences plays better than others.

Sometimes I'll bring a child or adult volunteer to "do the magic." One time, this kid was such a ham. When the audio said that if someone doesn't believe it's a real bandana, have them wipe their face with it. Well, the kid took the folded up banana and proceeded to wipe his face with it! Bits and pieces of banana stuck to his face and hair and some fell to the floor. I was utterly shocked!
Itsmagic: Great story.

Nice videos and posts. I'm thinking about doing an act with this where my sidekick and I explain that ACME Magic must have mixed up the props, but the show must go on.

Then, perhaps, at the end we see a note saying, "Thanks for buying, please enjoy the complementary banana."

Guys, bananas have infite potential for comedy. Take a half hour to brainstorm on this and your vanishing banana routine could improve exponentially.
Hey Crew!

I just have picked up the trick and feel, with a young crowd this trick should be a killer.

My Question is: The box has a hidden compartment with a nylon backing, nowhere on the instructions does it say what to use the section on the box for. It does mention it, but I see no use for it....unless it is there to produce another banana. Not sure.

Can anyone explain this gaff in the box to me?

Thanks,
Sonny
Hey Sonny,

You're exactly right. The nylon/pantyhose type of material is used to reproduce the banana. The instruction CD I got includes a section where she says basically "if the trick didn't work, start over" at which point you reproduce the banana.

Here's a clip of me performing VB. This was my first ever stage performance so you'll have to forgive me a little bit. There are some obvious flaws. I'm a high school teacher and I was asked to perform at our school's talent show. The VB performance is near the end. The entire clip is about 13 minutes long.

http://216.11.32.80/elott/magic/STAR%20Awards.wmv
Great...I see now. It does tell you to turn the box completely upside down and "dump" all the contents on the table...I see now where the 2nd banana comes in play. Like mentioned before in a previous post, A bandana could be reproduced and a note saying enjoy your "bonus" banana on us. The Banana Magic Company.....hmmmmm.
Nice show Eric...seems the kids really like you and that's a Talent in itself.
Thanks again!
I agree....the voice-over definitely needs some work. An update if you will. I am having someone professionally record a new script for the vanishing bandana. I was wondering if any of youy magis had any funny lines or what not to add to it. Let's get the creative juices flowing.

Robert Haas
http://www.MagicEnhancer.com
I have a friend from England and we have talked about doing a customized version with his British accent. I shave my head, so there are some jokes about that we've talked about making. For example:

"The next step is to move two paces to the left."

"Umm...what does that have to do with the trick?"

"Oh, nothing. The glare from your head was burning my eyes."
How about at one point having the directions tell you to put the bandana in your pocket or your assitants pocket.....

How about the directions telling you, right before you vanish the bandana, for comedy effect...blow your nose in the bandana.

I tried substituting a cat for the banana...it doesn't work.
Do most kids know what a bandana is? I'm not sure they would in Britain. I know bananas are inherently funny but I'd like to think of an alternative near-homophone pairing.
Keeping it simple is the most important factor in this effect. I Tell the Audience I received this package today and wanted to share with all of you how us Magicians learn a trick. I open the box. (I use a priority shipping box from the Post Office, it's free.) I take the CD out and have the Emcee play it. The next 3 minutes is base on facial expressions and reactions. I actually walk up to someone and almost wipe that banana on their face. This is one of the biggest laughs I get during the routine. I found the messier you make it, the more laughs you get. The ending is kind of anticlimatic, but the laughs are worth more than the magic.
Excellent ideas on new patter for the CD. I"M interested to hear what others have to say.

Haas
The video was great! I loved the use of expressions to sell it!

I recently did the effect at a media party, and I used the "Acme Magic" box to contain the props, and on it I'd stuck all sorts of stamps and stickers I got off letters and parcels, to make it look like it came in the mail.

Then when I brought the box out to do the trick, I told the audience "I'm a member of the 'Trick Of the Month' club." It got a nice little laugh! LOL!
There was a time when I decided being a clown would be a good idea, and it worked well for 2 years. During this time I did the Bandana sketch with my partner, she was going to teach me the trick all I had to do was follow her instructions.

If you are not aware of this routine, the 1st clown has a bandana as apposed to the 2nd clown with the bandana. Just this month I thought I would add it to a show I was booked for, but instead of using a cassette recording I decided to hand the written instructions to a member of the audience, not a child, because I reasoned that not all children are great readers.

So I decided to ask an adult to do the job. BIG MISTAKE! Apart from being nervous he kept referring to the bandana as a banana following a remark from a kid in the audience who shouted out "That's a banana" Consequently the whole routine "Fell on its bottom".

My advice is, if you're going to do it, then do it with the recording the trick comes with. Australian kids don't really know completely what a bandana is and the "gag confusion" is not appreciated. Or get a partner and do the clown skit.
Great job Eric. You certainly put on a great routine. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Snidini
I was under the understanding that this was invented by Howard Hale. Does anyone know. I wore my set out from using it at so many shows so I ordered a new one from Murphy's the other day and this swwms to be a rip off put out by Fab Magic. does anyone out there have the answer as to who's this is ??
I like David Copperfield's version best. the "Mr Rodgers" script make me almost cry from laughing.
Does anyone know where I can locate David Copperfield doing this routine? I'd love to get my hands on it. Please PM me

RObert
There is a rather long and sordid tale concerning Tom Ogden, David Copperfield and this trick. But, I digress...

I watched a couple of the videos here and something doesn't jive. The premise of the joke, obviously, is that the magician is making the mistake of confusing 'bandana' for 'banana'. It really makes no sense that the package would arrive from the fictitious magic shop (or wherever you claim it's from) with a banana instead of a bandana. The gag is far funnier when it is the magician who is confused and supplies the wrong item.
Also, following the logic that this is meant to be (within the context of the comedy playlet) a real 'Vanishing Bandana' trick, why would someone vanish a bandana by placing it into yet another, albeit larger, bandana?

One of the nice things about Copperfield's routine (stolen though it may have been) was that it solved this illogic. David "borrowed" a handbag, per the recorded instructions, from an "audience member" and the banana was placed into and squished in same said bag.

His performance of it is very good and the audience loves it. I saw him do this live a few years ago when he resurrected it for one of the tours and it received enormous laughs and applause.
If you guys don't get seasick, I'll post the link to my presentation last month. I didn't have the camera on a tripod and the girl who was filming my whole show got a little tired. :giggles:
[quote]
On 2007-01-16 23:04, Terry Harris wrote:
I was under the understanding that this was invented by Howard Hale. Does anyone know. I wore my set out from using it at so many shows so I ordered a new one from Murphy's the other day and this swwms to be a rip off put out by Fab Magic. does anyone out there have the answer as to who's this is ??
[/quote]

Out of curiosity...did you get the male or female voice? My version is the female voice. I just heard the male version and I don't care for it.

JIM
I've heard both. Neither are funny.
I would recommend making a new recording for this once you have it.
You are correct, THEY are not funny. It is up to the performer to MAKE it funny, facial expressions, body gestures etc.
Agreed.
There are 2 ways it could go. One would be to have a very straight recording and play against it, or to have the recording be over-the-top, as David Copperfield's was, and it was quite funny.
Of course, David's performance made it funnier, but the caricature Mr. Rodgers-like voice was funny in and of itself.
Pyromagician,

Is that you doing the trick....Man that sucks, there is so many other gags and bits to the trick, your totally missing them. that's the most unfunny video of it I have ever seen.

Take some time and think about it before you perfom it. Sorry man ...but WOW!!
I took the box it come with and mailed to myself so it has postage on it and I use a bit Blacken (7 days old or so) banannas. I have also used UPS boxes and they work just as well.
[quote]
On 2007-03-05 02:21, Magicgeek wrote:
Pyromagician,

Is that you doing the trick....Man that sucks, there is so many other gags and bits to the trick, your totally missing them. that's the most unfunny video of it I have ever seen.

[/quote]

I know that you are new to our boards but there is no need to put him down like that. You won't go far with comments like those.
[quote]
On 2007-03-05 02:21, Magicgeek wrote:
Pyromagician,

[/quote]

Just what exactly did you mean to accomplish with such a mean spirited post?

If you don't have anything nice (or constructive) to say, then don't say anything at all. The Café is a meeting place for like minded individuals to come and talk magic. Not to rip people apart.

Look at the Café's logo - "Magicians Helping Magicians." You'r comment was neither helpful or appropriate. I agree with SoCalPro, In the future, please think before you type.

Lyndel
I agree. Have some manners. Show us a video of you!
The script should say take out the black bandana to set up for the yellow banana.

Also, I've noticed many magicians don't get the part where it describes to put the yellow bandanna into the bag then goes on to say, "What the audience really doesn't know is that you kept it palmed in your left hand". At this point you shouldn't act like your palming the bandanna that you've already place in the bag.
This makes no sense. It should be a ooops moment. Not only has the yellow bandanna ended up a banana but now you've messed things up even more because you wasn't suppose to put the banana in the bag and you did. When I do it, when I realize that I should have kept it palmed, I act somewhat frustrated and snap my left fingers like saying "darn!" It gets a laugh that way.
Does anyone know of an online video showing Copperfield's version of this trick. I saw it once a long long time ago and have been dying to see it again. I wish he still did it in his shows.

cb
[quote]
On 2007-05-01 22:40, Agent86 wrote:
Does anyone know of an online video showing Copperfield's version of this trick. I saw it once a long long time ago and have been dying to see it again. I wish he still did it in his shows.

cb
[/quote]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2161564246150239367&q=copperfield+site%3Avideo.google.com

It's about 20 minutes in.
Thanks eric
I am trying to search through the website on where to purchase this trick but could not locate one. Does anyone has a clue ?

thanks in advance..

Eric
I found it at:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_name=Vanishing-Bandana&x_item=FL1960
Thanks Ambaratur
I have this and was disappointed when I found out that you need a banana for this trick!!! Why did they call it Vanishing Bandana if you need to use a banana!!!?

Now seriuosly: This prop kills...I love it :) Mine is the complete version, no editted parts :) But I only use it for my repeat clients :)

One thing to make sure of... is...well, make sure your audience is an English speaking crowd :) or you will look like an idiot in front of them.

Thanks

Wanlu
[quote]
On 2006-04-07 15:40, GarySumpter wrote:
Sure,

Well firstly this would be very hard to pull of here in the UK without putting on an American Accent,

Secondly, I still cant see how it could be funny. I'm not saying it's NOT, that's why I want to see it for myself :)

Gary
[/quote]

I have performed it many, many times...and believe me it IS funny. You are the one who take the routine and through facial expressions, body language, etc, turns it into a personal masterpiece. It's SITUATION funny. Trust us who do it. Ham it up a bit. It always gets the laughs.
[quote]
On 2006-11-03 10:30, thecardtrick wrote:
Itsmagic: Great story.

Nice videos and posts. I'm thinking about doing an act with this where my sidekick and I explain that ACME Magic must have mixed up the props, but the show must go on.

Then, perhaps, at the end we see a note saying, "Thanks for buying, please enjoy the complementary banana."

Guys, bananas have infite potential for comedy. Take a half hour to brainstorm on this and your vanishing banana routine could improve exponentially.
[/quote]

Sad thing is that bananas are on the verge of extinction...scientists may be able to genetically engineer a solution, but otherwise they predict that within a decade, the yellow fruit will be history due to disease, etc.
Daffydoug wrote:

" Sad thing is that bananas are on the verge of extinction...scientists may be able to genetically engineer a solution, but otherwise they predict that within a decade, the yellow fruit will be history due to disease, etc. "

Not so true ... see this link:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/bananas.asp

On topic - IMHO this vanishing bandanna trick is only as good as the person performing it. I've seen it done funny and I've seen it done so poorly that it seemed as if the "entertainer" was trying to screw it up although they weren't. Over all it seems over played ...

Be Good,
Aloha-ha,
Cap'n Mike
=====================
Hi to all,

I didn't go through the entire thread so forgive me if this was mentioned, but here goes: Can anyone tell me who created this effect?

Thanks for any help,

Chris
I narrowed it down to either Howard Hale or Tom Ogden. Anyone know for sure?

Chris
If you're going to get permission to put this on a magicEnhancer type CD, please have each sentence the person says on a separate track so they can be added/removed if they don't make sense for the performer. otherwise the offering will be worthless to most.
I would love to have one Speaking in Spanish, German, or some other language instead of English. Then when its translated it only tells you part of the insturctions or have the spanish speaking person say a few sentences then when translated one or two words for what you are suppose to do. If anyone can make this I would gladly pay for it. If it has not been done please give me credit. Thanks

Bairefoot
I'm sure I once saw this routine or something similar in 'Laughter all the way' by Ron Bishop (1968) I can't find the book right now, it's probably lost in the 'loaned to someone never to return' catagory. I may have imagined the routine in there but I have certainly read the idea somewhere.

This effect is actually one of my pet hates in magic.... It's like Kareoka magic, all charm and originality have been squeezed out of it. I liked it when I first saw Copperfield do it but now it just looks like an audition piece to me. No skill required, no originality required, just stand up and mime the gags.... Sorry guys I just don't get it. Thankfully though I suppose that the lay public sometimes do. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I need at least an ounce of a challenge.

Cheers,

John
In our version (Magic Enhancer version) of the Vanishing Bandana will be released at some point this summer. It will have an all-new rewritten script, and 4 other scripts as well using the devil's hank for different uses (maybe a Bill - In - Lemon too?). It will also have a totally redesigned devil's hank making clean up a breeze (and even easier for repeat performances). Of course, it doesn't stop there.....Check out our web site for more details.

I am also including a history of the effect in the manuscript. I've done some research (and so has Bill Palmer). Bill has graciously wrote the "final word" on the history of this effect. Yes, we've contacted Tom Ogden, etc. If anyone wants to see the history, please PM me and I can give them a copy of it.

Thanks,

Robert Haas
[quote]
This effect is actually one of my pet hates in magic.... It's like Kareoka magic, all charm and originality have been squeezed out of it. I liked it when I first saw Copperfield do it but now it just looks like an audition piece to me. No skill required, no originality required, just stand up and mime the gags.... Sorry guys I just don't get it. Thankfully though I suppose that the lay public sometimes do. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I need at least an ounce of a challenge.
[/quote]

Thank you so much John! I agree completely. I used to do this trick. Yep, it killed every time. But then I started to feel guilty. I didn't write the routine. I didn't practice the routine. All I did was stand there and do what the tape said and a few facial expressions and the audience laughed. It couldn't get any easier. I felt like I was cheating. I also realized how many others were doing this routine. I didn't want to be a clone, so I stopped doing it. Now I'm reading about people who not only want this easy comedy killer, but they don't want to clean up after the routine. Magic is NOT supposed to be easy. If you don't like working for your magic, then stop doing magic. You know what's easier than cleaning up your banana? NOT doing the trick at all!

It kills with most audiences, but hip audiences know this is overdone and "self working comedy." Maybe it's time to take the concept, and change it to fit yourself. There are many play on words that can be used. Why not let the Banana inspire? Then eat it, instead of smooshing it. It's liberating to know the audience is laughing at something you created or wrote and not something you bought. I'm sure I will offend some, which is not my intention. I just think this trick needs a rest... a very long one. I guess it's just me, but if I'm in a room full of people wearing yellow shirts, I hope I'm wearing blue that day.
Eric, good thinking. B
It's just laziness to include this! Of course exclusions to this include the people willing to make script adaptations to this.
[quote]
On 2007-05-13 23:22, SeasideShowman wrote:
Daffydoug wrote:

" Sad thing is that bananas are on the verge of extinction...scientists may be able to genetically engineer a solution, but otherwise they predict that within a decade, the yellow fruit will be history due to disease, etc. "

Not so true ... see this link:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/bananas.asp

On topic - IMHO this vanishing bandanna trick is only as good as the person performing it. I've seen it done funny and I've seen it done so poorly that it seemed as if the "entertainer" was trying to screw it up although they weren't. Over all it seems over played ...

Be Good,
Aloha-ha,
Cap'n Mike
=====================
[/quote]

Actually true(I am a student of an environmental science) All edible Bananas are clones of each other, and there is very limited genetic variation therefore, meaning there is no resistance witin the species to the disease. Although they will not actually be extinct within 10 years, bit longer than that. That article is incorrect and bias to prove a point.
Sorry if I've wandered off topic!
[quote]
Sad thing is that bananas are on the verge of extinction...
[/quote]

Bad news for breads, cereals, and fruit salads... Great news for magic!
In the past few months I saw 'the bandana' performed twice, each by a different performer. It bombed both times because the magicians weren't animated. I'd sure like to see this done by somebody who knows how to work an audience.
Imagine Tom Mullica performing this, now THAT I would pay to see!
Just FYI, Copperfield performed it in the special without reference to a Bandana and I only watched the German translation. And nonetheless, it was very, very funny. So, Bandanas or not, this routine seems to work well regardless of lanuage barriers.

I also have a question. Since I only know Copperfield's version: is that the standard routine? I.e., are you using a foldable purse like he did? Where DOES the banana go? I'd use a pull (remembering his body position, I think that's how I explained the trick to myself, but it's been years since I saw it last). Again, would that be the standard version?

Thanks!
And now for something completely different...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7UeWe-SZoA
Did anyone see the Paris Hilton look a like on "The next greatest thing" last night? She ATTEMPTED to be funny by ATTEMPTING to make a banana disappear. She was unsuccessful. The banana fell straight to the floor. Well, I guess that was kinda funny after all, funny but lame. :)
[quote]
On 2007-05-30 14:05, jakeg wrote:
In the past few months I saw 'the bandana' performed twice, each by a different performer. It bombed both times because the magicians weren't animated. I'd sure like to see this done by somebody who knows how to work an audience.
[/quote]

I can share your pain on this one. I think that this is the funniest magic trick of all time. But even though I've seen it performed by more than a dozen magicians, only a handful have done it well. This is one of those rare tricks where it is about 98% presentation b/c the mechanics of it are so simple. For some reason very few can pull it off effectively.

If you want to see someonne perform it who knows how to work an audience, then by all means watch Terry Evanswood. He does it the best of anyone I've seen and he is also the master of connecting with his audience. You will not be disappointed.

Jared
I actually perform this 7 days a week right now. I videoed my show 2 times last week. When I get the time, I'll re upload it to YouTube since the last one was really shaky.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Jul 27, 2007 12:44PM)
After visiting with Richard Hughes of [url=http://www.hughesmagic.com/catalog/misc/props.html] Hughes Magic [/url], I decided to get his [b]Banana Bandana[/b].

What you get is a fairly large, well made devil's hank, with a large, lined pocket, which makes clean up a breeze! You can read the full description on Richard's website. All I can say is this well made hank is worth the money to anyone regularly doing the vanishing bandana trick. I am certainly much happier about not having to launder the hank after every show.

Chris
SoCalPro,

Please let us know when you upload it. I'd like to see it.

RObert Haas
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 16, 2007 06:02PM)
Not everyone knows what a Bandana is and you may have to teach them. What I have done was to introduce a Bandana earlier in the show much like a throw away bit.

I just start a routine and as if by mistake I find a Bandana that was misplaced. Or I just pull it out of my pocket and act like I have no idea how it got there. This way I can hold it up for a moment and focus everyone’s attention on it while I make a comment using the word Bandana. Then I put it away and continue with the show.

Now when I do the vanishing Bandanna I can hold the bandana up and hopefully everyone will remember that I called the thing a bandana earlier. It seems to work for me.

Ray
[quote]
On 2007-08-16 19:02, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Not everyone knows what a Bandana is and you may have to teach them. What I have done was to introduce a Bandana earlier in the show much like a throw away bit.

I just start a routine and as if by mistake I find a Bandana that was misplaced. Or I just pull it out of my pocket and act like I have no idea how it got there. This way I can hold it up for a moment and focus everyone’s attention on it while I make a comment using the word Bandana. Then I put it away and continue with the show.

Now when I do the vanishing Bandanna I can hold the bandana up and hopefully everyone will remember that I called the thing a bandana earlier. It seems to work for me.

Ray
[/quote]

Are you from outside the U.S.? Because I have never heard of anyone who didn't know what a bandana is. But I can understand if we are talking about audiences outside the U.S.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 18, 2007 02:59PM)
I have played at clubs where people could be(and were) from anywhere. You would be suprized to find that many people don't know what the word bandana means.

Ray
Does it really matter? As long as they know what a banana is it really doesn't matter if they know what a bandana is. They see that you didn't get what you were supposed to and got a banana instead. I don't see how not knowing what a bandana is has an effect on any of the comedy.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 19, 2007 06:04AM)
[quote]
On 2007-08-18 17:00, MikeDes wrote: (in part)
Does it really matter? I don't see how not knowing what a bandana is has an effect on any of the comedy.
[/quote]

The very first joke is pulling out a banana instead of a bandana. If people don't know what a bandana is then the very first joke fails. Who would want to start a routine that fails at the start?

I have heard comments such as, “Why are they calling a banana a bandana?” or “What’s a bandana?” So that is why I do what I do.

Ray
Well maybe but I think you are making too much out of it. I have performed this loads of time and it always gets great laughs. Your facial expressions tell the audience that the banana is NOT was is supposed to be in there. All the jokes work from then on even if they don't know what a bandana is. It least I hope so or else they have only been laughing at me. :)
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 20, 2007 06:36AM)
I am not making too much of it. I just explained what I do. That is all.

I have also done this effect many times and know how to do it well.

I have played where people were from the UK, Middle East, Scotland, Russia, Japan and elsewhere to include USA. All these people being at the same show! So believed me when I say not everyone in the world knows what a bandana is.

Heck, I have played where only one or two half way understood English.

If trying to make everyone understand all my jokes and what I do is making too much out of something than I am guilty.

This is my last post on this because I do not want people to think that I am making too much out of this. Which I didn’t know I was doing until you brought it to my attention.

Best
Ray
I think the idea of vanishing a squished banana can transcend any language barrier.

It won't make much sense but if your any good at presenting the thing it just be silly slapstick.

M:C