(Close Window)
Topic: Very Nice Cups
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Apr 14, 2006 12:33AM)
Go to this site and check out the engraved cups!

Absolutely beautiful.

http://www.sherwoodmagic.com/
Those are very nice.
They are a work of art.

Flimnar
Oh man...I've never seen these before, my gawd the pinnachle of all...oh wait these are the sherwood cups. I was expecting some hype...

johnny
I wish I had the thousand or so to get a set of engraved ones, but for now I will have to settle for my Paul Foxes.

Steven
Not that it matters, but if everything was priced the same and had the same value, I would buy the smooth silver. I, personally, find the engraving distracting.

I couldn't afford the smooth silver either, so settled fot the smooth brass. They are beautiful cups.

sam
Is s/he a Christian religous performer or is he a illusionist named Christian?

My favourite cups are the Sterling Silver with Gold Plate. Imagine these smooth silver and gold plate.
Sherwood Cups!!! WOW!!! Those are really pretty.

Why hasn't anyone told me about these cups before?

;)
You guys having a good time with this young man?
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Apr 14, 2006 11:08AM)
[quote]
On 2006-04-14 11:01, ChristianR wrote:
Is s/he a Christian religous performer or is he a illusionist named Christian?

My favourite cups are the Sterling Silver with Gold Plate. Imagine these smooth silver and gold plate.
[/quote]

Christian Performer.

My name is Kyle. I chose this name before I read the preference for real names to be used.
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Apr 14, 2006 11:10AM)
BTW, I realize that for many the cups will probably be old news (such has been brought to my attention).

I'm very new to this board and am just now realizing how many truly professional magicians there are connected with this site.

Sorry for this useless thread. I'll try to use a little more wisdom before posting a topic again.

However, maybe there was one or two that didn't know about them and so it was not all in vain :)
What kind of wood is Sher Wood? It seems to make some nice cups with ths faux metal finish. Are Fox cups made using real foxes? Perhaps that is why they aren't made anymore. Animal rights......? :)
I guess you guys ain't done with the poor lad yet, huh?

At least ya'll are being gentle about it.
Okay, guys, back off. He was just trying to be helpful. He probably thought this board was one of those boards for people who hadn't been around the block. If I didn't have all 8 sets of the Sherwoods, I probably wouldn't have needled him.

Christopher -- please accept my personal invitation to drop by the cups and balls museum. http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com

Bring a lunch and something to drink. You will be there for a LOOOOONG time!

And welcome to our little magical nuthouse!

to "doublelift" -- No live foxes were harmed in any way during the production of any of the Paul Fox cups I have on the web site.
[quote]
On 2006-04-14 12:34, doublelift wrote:
Are Fox cups made using real foxes? Perhaps that is why they aren't made anymore. Animal rights......? :)
[/quote]

If you're worried about those poor, innocent foxes, maybe you'd want to consider the Phoenix cups as an alternative. They raise birds from the dead ........ Very PC. :) :)
[quote]
If you're worried about those poor, innocent foxes, maybe you'd want to consider the Phoenix cups as an alternative. They raise birds from the dead ........ Very PC. :) :)
[/quote]

(sigh) I just love you guys.
I wonder what kind of Animals my cups were made of? Gary never really said. Probably a good thing I don't know.
[quote]
On 2006-04-14 18:54, Dave VanVranken wrote:
I wonder what kind of Animals my cups were made of? Gary never really said. Probably a good thing I don't know.
[/quote]

Dave,
If you had Gazzo cups, you'd really be in a pickle! At least you know your cups were made out of some kind of animal. I mean, what's a Gazzo?!! :) :)
[quote]
On 2006-04-14 12:10, Christian Illusionist wrote:

Sorry for this useless thread. I'll try to use a little more wisdom before posting a topic again.

[/quote]

Hey Kyle,

It's great to see your enthusiasm. Don't be concerned about silly comments, especially mine! I hadn't looked at those cups for a while, and your posting the link reminded me of those beauties again. It was fun looking at them. Fortunately for me, I'm not too envious of those who have these wonderful cups as I just use the chop cup and don't do a full C&B routine.

Are you working on a C&B routine, just starting, or have one polished? Many of the guys who posted here and on other threads in this section are true experts in the C&B. The nice thing about them, too, is that they are even more forthcoming with help than they are with the jokes. Don't hesitate to ask.
[quote]
On 2006-04-14 20:19, Gary Dayton wrote:
what's a Gazzo?!! :) :)
[/quote]

Isn't that one of those annoying noise makers?
LAY OFF OF GAZZO! he is the epitome of everything condemned by the general populous of this forum and is lauded for it. I myself love his horribly wrong and incorrect style of performance.

Aside from that statement, I love those cups and would sell a child (Wait till I have on I don't love as much as the others) for a set. I look to the Sherwood site whenever I feel the need for masochism. Also I look to Mr. Palmer's museum when I want to go crazy with lust. I have to beg my wife incessantly for a set of any Sherwood's, I say: "As the man of the house I order you to give me permission to buy those cups", hasn't worked so far.
My Foxy cups are real babes!

(I think the last time I heard a pretty girl referred to as a "fox" was in 1979.)
The cups don't matter though I like certain ones better.... You use the ones you have and you do with what you can, and then you have favorites. Just like everything else in life. Some of them are prettier than others and some of them just get the job done. If you are lucky, they are both pretty and purposeful..... these are my Sherwoods....
[quote][i]On 2006-04-14 22:08, Chessmann wrote...[/i]

My Foxy cups are real babes!

(I think the last time I heard a pretty girl referred to as a "fox" was in 1979.)[/quote]
And my Babe Cups are real foxes! ;)
[quote]
On 2006-04-14 13:55, Gary Dayton wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-04-14 12:34, doublelift wrote:
Are Fox cups made using real foxes? Perhaps that is why they aren't made anymore. Animal rights......? :)
[/quote]

[/quote]
My Phoenix cups still look pretty dead. Maybe the Fox cups got into the "coup" they come in................
I liked them in silver so much, I also picked up a set in gold. The bad thing is... they are so nice, I'm afraid to use them.
Bill Palmer's museum... WOW!!!
What a fantastic collection.
I'll be back in the cup biz next year. I'm going to redesign all my cups and start again with some new Kiwi stamp in them to mark my move to NZ.
Gazzo cups should be available via penguin soon. My other designs will not be.
Animal
Gary,
I'm glad you're still around! What's this I hear about you returning to the U.K.? Or was that just for a visit?

I'll be looking forward to your Kiwi line of cups. If they're anything like your previous cups I know you'll do well with them.

I'm curious. You don't have to answer if you don't want to(or not allowed to talk details). Will you be spinning the Gazzos for Penguin?
[quote]
On 2006-06-18 11:21, garyanimal wrote:
I'll be back in the cup biz next year. I'm going to redesign all my cups and start again with some new Kiwi stamp in them to mark my move to NZ.
Gazzo cups should be available via penguin soon. My other designs will not be.
Animal
[/quote]
More cups!!! Woo Hoo!!!
Terrific! Glad to know there will be "Animals" of any kind back in the cups and balls world...

Flimnar
I look forward to seeing your new cups, Gary! As with Dave, I'd be interested in hearing how, and where, you're getting on.

Curt
Since this post was started talking about the engraved Sherwood cups, I thought it would be of interest to point out that, at least for a little while, they will be very scarce. Brett is currently out of stock because of the price of silver. I've always been very curious as to what number in the 1000 cup run is he on. I'm also surprised that the gold plated versions are still available, as they were available in smaller numbers- 150 sets I think. I've owned my set of sterling silver engraved cups for a few years now, they are my most prized "magic" possession, I think I have set 72 of 1000.

James Riser has always said it best, and I'm paraphrasing here, "if you want a set, don't wait because they probably won't be available tomorrow." That very thing has happen to me so many times I can't count. "Oh, I'll buy it next time I see it" then I never see it again!

Steve
When you get into the collecting game as late as I did, you learn patience. I have been waiting for two particular sets for a couple of years now. I finally got them.

They will be up in the museum RSN.
Indeed the Sherwood Cups have no equal. I am aware of (2) collections in the U.S.A. that feature one of each style Brett offers, one of these collections also features at least one of Brett's Chop Cups.

I have:
Smooth Silver 3 of 10
Smooth Silver Gold Interior 2 of 10
Smooth Silver All Gold Plated 7 of 10
Silver Engraved 100 of 1000 Brett felt this number significant as our initials are the same.
Silver Engraved With Gold Highlights and Interior 39 of 250
Silver Engraved All Gold Plated 22 of 150
Smooth Brass
Smooth Copper

I'm done bragging, I like my Cups!! :)

Bill Sutter
I have to second that, Bill. Sherwoods are wonderful cups. And Sherwood is a really nice guy -- no BS.

(I meant that in the nicest way possible.)
Gary, are the Gazzo cups which will be sold by Penguin be small or large top?

Steven
I heard this from the source. Gazzo [i]hates[/i] the small tops!
No wonder. When he started with his PF?DD cups, they had a larger dimple in the bottom. This was gradually closed by Gazzo pounding on them.

Hey, it happens!
But if Gazzo hated small tops, why did he let Gary Animal associate his name with the first run of the Gazzo street cups?
[quote]
On 2006-06-19 17:15, Bill Palmer wrote:
I have to second that, Bill. Sherwoods are wonderful cups. And Sherwood is a really nice guy -- no BS.

(I meant that in the nicest way possible.)
[/quote]

Since this thread was initiated to speak about Brett Sherwood's Cups I will add the following. When the Smooth Silver (all [3] variations) were initially introduced for sale they had no serial numbers. I had a conversation with Brett during which I asked "why not"? His responce was - "send the Cups back at my expence, I will correct this". This is not the end of the level of dedication Brett has. When I accepted delivery of the "corrected sets" I informed Brett that the engraving was not of the same quality found on the Engraved sets. How did he respond? This man is unbeliveable. He instructed me to send the Cups back a second time for correction at his expence!!!

This man (Brett Sherwood) is the best of the best.
As Bill Palmer states . . . there is no "BS"

Kindest Regards,
Bill Sutter
That's the kind of experience I have had with Brett, myself. As a matter of fact, he and my wife went through an elaborate scheme to keep me in the dark when I asked for a couple of sets of cups for Christmas a while back. I was going to order the cups, myself and suddenly, he was out of them. Didn't know when they would be back in stock. I was pleasantly surprised.

Regarding the "small top Gazzo Cups," Gary might have issued them after taking a look at Gazzo's PF/DD chick cups, which you can see in the museum. Note the similarity in the tops of these cups and the tops of the first type of Gazzo cups. Then go down the page to the brass set of PF/DD chick cups. These have the same shape that Gazzo's original set of copper chick cups had.

Gary's cups are made for rough treatment. The PF/DD cups really weren't.
Not only do I agree with everything Bill and Bill have said about Brett, but people have to realize that the cups are not even his main business.. In addition to bringing these great cups to magicians, he is performing too.. I personally have to also recognize his wife Lesley, who equals his level of service and has been totally great to deal with when Brett was on various cruise ships working......By the way, Brett was also emailing me from his various ships while orders were being worked on.... I highly recommend the Sherwood's (and their cups).
[quote]
On 2006-06-19 19:10, swtrocks wrote:
But if Gazzo hated small tops, why did he let Gary Animal associate his name with the first run of the Gazzo street cups?
[/quote]
I have friends on both sides of the story, so the details are better told by someone else, if at all.

The wide top is Gazzo's preferred design, and the design was modified but he didn't like the results. When he started selling them himself is probably when the design change back, along with the re-spins that were temporarily available to "correct" the shape.

Of all Gary Animal's cups, only one of them is a true "Gazzo." The others are better described as "Gazzo style with modifications" or by their proper names; Super Animals, Animals, Babes, Loves, etc...
Gazzo now has a set of the Tall Animal cups which are the same ID as the Gazzo cups, but taller. They also have the larger bottom which he prefers.
Yes, I can confirm Dave's assertion that Gazzo was CLEAR about his preference for the larger surface on the bottom of his cups! Given his routine and the nature of his loads, this makes perfect sense.

Flimnar
[quote]
On 2006-06-20 01:31, flimnar wrote:
Yes, I can confirm Dave's assertion that Gazzo was CLEAR about his preference for the larger surface on the bottom of his cups! Given his routine and the nature of his loads, this makes perfect sense.

Flimnar
[/quote]
Ah Hell, I thought that was the top of the cup :)
[quote]
On 2006-06-26 00:17, Mad Jake wrote:
Ah Hell, I thought that was the top of the cup :)
[/quote]

Only to magicians ;)
Ouch, my mistake! Someone has egg on his face, and his name is me! Does this mean I have to go to Cups and Balls Summer School? :)

Flimnar
In the Ammar book the side opposite to the mouth of the cup is referred to as the top.
In the C&B Museum the side opposite to the mouth of the cup is referred to as the bottom.

Why does Gazzo prefer the wider dimple?
Seeing Cups like those really makes me want to become a Cup spinner ;)
[quote]
On 2006-06-30 16:43, RiffRaff wrote:
In the Ammar book the side opposite to the mouth of the cup is referred to as the top.
In the C&B Museum the side opposite to the mouth of the cup is referred to as the bottom.
[/quote]

The very first reference to the shape of a cup in print is in [i]Hocus Pocus, Jr.[/i] -- "These cups must all be of one size and the bottom of each of them must be set a little within the cup...." I'm not saying that Mike is wrong in his definition. Both of us chose to define our terms right at the beginning of our presentations. He defines the bottom as the top, admitting that to the rest of the world (other than magicians), this would be the bottom, but his definition is for consistency in the text.

I'm taking my definition from the earliest one that I could find.

[quote]
[/quote]

Probably because you can do a three ball display on top of the cup with the larger dimple.
On 2006-06-30 18:03, Bill Palmer wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-06-30 16:43, RiffRaff wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Probably because you can do a three ball display on top of the cup with the larger dimple.
[/quote]

That's odd, because in his standard routine he doesn't even do a three ball display on top of the cup. I think he said once he just liked the "look" of the jumbo load on top of the wider tops. Also, with the single ball it has a tendency to stay better if it has a bigger surface to roll around on without falling.

I had that problem with my Super Animals not having a big enough dimple to support his soccer balls. (which as Flimnar can attest, prompted a rather heated discussion at his last master class) My solution was to use my own Monkey Fist balls which resisted rolling. It's also why I don't need a rim on my table.(Yet another touchy subject with him during that same class)
I know he doesn't. It could also be because he used to use the PF/DD chick cups and he likes the way it looked.
Yes, a lively exchange indeed, Dave! Do you still have the scorch marks on that table? I use the soccer balls sometimes, but I was fortunate enough to get a set of Dave's monkey fist balls when he was making them as well and have really enjoyed using them.

Flimnar
With the FIFA insanity going on, I could not find any small footballs in Germany while I was there. The only ones I could find were erasers, and they didn't look right.

When I got back, I found some at Wal-Mart among the party favors.
Re : The Sherwood silver cups. Would you actally use these regularly (practice sessions + performances) or just keep them on the shelf to preserve their "collector quality"? Silver, I know, is pretty soft and it wouldn't take much to bang them up.

Fortasse
I got the copper and the brass ones to practice with. If the occasion called for it, I would take out the engraved silver cups for a walkaround gig.
The Sherwood Cups were created to work with. At the proper event I will use any of the sets I own. I will add that the tools (Cups) deserve to be utilized in a respectful manner.

Bill Sutter
Well put. Brett ecen states in the sheet that is furnished with the cups what moves may or may not be suitable with the cups.
I guess that rules out any "cup-through-cup" penetration!

Fortasse
I used to collect cups, at one point I had 9 sets, but have only used 2 for the last few years. Riser standard cups for outside gigs and at the bar. When hired for a formal close-up show, I'm normally in a tux, in that case it's my silver engraved Sherwoods. They always get gasps. Anyone know when his wand will be available, I believe it's been in the works for a few years now.
[quote]
On 2006-07-10 21:30, fortasse wrote:
I guess that rules out any "cup-through-cup" penetration!

Fortasse

[/quote]

Actually, if you do it right, the penetration won't hurt the cups, but it is still scary!!
But if you do the move a lot, won't there at least be SOME damage to the shoulder bead from the force of the cups colliding? Just a thought.
No damage will result provided that the move is executed properly, under proper execution very little force is transmitted between articles. The grip is all important. PMP (Practice Makes Perfect). Make sure to provide a secure landing zone.

Bill Sutter
The one move I do very often with these cups is the centrifugal move. Where there is a ball under a cup and you very quickly stack it on another cup, showing that the cup is empty. I had problems doing this move with other cups but with the sherwoods, it flows beautifully.
Johnny Thompson does the 'cup through cup' penetration with his engraved Paul Fox cups, doesn't he?

Richard
Yes, but they are NOT PF cups... he had a set of Charlie Miller cups plated and a friend did the engravng for him as a gift.
Those Charlie Miller cups will take a real beating.
Is there any risk that the silver plating will suffer - and is there a difference in the durability of (let's say) silver plated vs chromed cups? Thanks!
Taliesin you are correct. On the video Comercial Classics of Magic #4 he uses Engraved Paul Fox cups with a gold wash in side the cups. They are very beautiful cups.
When he does the teach in he uses the fox cups too. Though on the cover of the video/DVD box he is shown with Miller engraved cups with a gold wash.
Great routine too.
Does anyone know about his PF style cups that are engraved? I knoiw I would like to know more about them.

I have used both silver plated and chromed cups and have not had a durability problem with either.
Mobius
Pete is absolutely correct : you can see Johnny Thompson's silver-plated Charlie Miller cups on the Stevens Emporium Cups & Balls DVD (Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In Series). One of the features on this DVD is a cups and balls demonstration by Charlie Miller using Johnny Thompson's cups. Thompson himself is the host for this demonstration and he describes the cups in some detail. On this occasion at least, Thompson's cups were the Charlie Miller cups, not PF cups. No question about it. By the way this is great DVD to add to your collection if you don't have it already.

Fortasse
[quote]
On 2006-07-11 01:40, swtrocks wrote:
But if you do the move a lot, won't there at least be SOME damage to the shoulder bead from the force of the cups colliding? Just a thought.
[/quote]

You can do it with minimal collision of the cups. It takes a lot of practice, but it can be done. In fact, you can do it with NO collision of the cups.
[quote]
On 2006-07-11 23:31, fortasse wrote:
Pete is absolutely correct : you can see Johnny Thompson's silver-plated Charlie Miller cups on the Stevens Emporium Cups & Balls DVD (Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In Series). One of the features on this DVD is a cups and balls demonstration by Charlie Miller using Johnny Thompson's cups. Thompson himself is the host for this demonstration and he describes the cups in some detail. On this occasion at least, Thompson's cups were the Charlie Miller cups, not PF cups. No question about it. By the way this is great DVD to add to your collection if you don't have it already.

Fortasse
[/quote]

Happily, everyone's right! There are two seperate sets of cups. He uses the silver Charlie Miller cups in the GMVL Teach-In tape but uses Paul Fox-style engraved silver cups in the Commercial Classics DVD. :)

Still, it's interesting that those engraved silver PF cups haven't been commented on previously. As Mobius said, they look fantastic with the gold wash on the inside.

Richard
"But if Gazzo hated small tops, why did he let Gary Animal associate his name with the first run of the Gazzo street cups?"
Gazzo allowed me to use his name because I'm a mate and he assumed I'd make them with big tops. I didn't and he called me an idiot and beat the crap out of me. I then made some more with big tops and he showered me with slobber like a rabid mutt. Oh to be loved by Gazzo. After I got clean I made some more with small tops because I like them. Gazzo kicked the **** out of me again.
News
NZ . In uk at present, going to nz again in sept. Gotta buy a house and get settled. Nz cups a bit down the road yet.
I do have Some gazzos and animals and babes in storage and will ebay them when I get my stuff back.

Will be doing my own street performing DVD later and that should show everyone how not to do the cups.
What else

Oh I might come work usa and canada one summer before I get to old- sick of uk. Will need love and support people. (that's accom and a few birds)
Gary
I can't help you with the birds (we do have some in bird cages, but probably not what you're looking for) but if you ever make it to Las Vegas, we have a place for you. We sterilized it pretty thoroughly after Gazzo left, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
If you are coming to Houston, let me know.
Birds, not the feathered with wings type... he's referring to "babes" (not the cup kind either) :coffee:
We have a lot of birds that are not feathered. They look silly as heck.
Plenty of birds with feathers in Vegas.

Curt
Good Afternnon
I'm new to the site like a kid in a candy store and typically so excited reviewing the vast amount of information that I forget to write down links that I find while surfing. There was a site I visited a few weeks ago that sold top quality mini chop cups. They also sold a very decorative purse frame and specialized in chop cups.
I've checked every site listed in threads from my search to no avail. Can anyone help me recall this site because I'm interested in buying both items and can't locate web address.
I would greatly appreciate the assistance.
Ken
Do you remember which chop cups they sold? That would help.

Try the Trickery. http://www.thetrickery.com

You can get fancy purse frames at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.
They were mini cups. I don't believe they sold C&B, they were exclusive on the mini chop cup. THe purse frame was part of the routine. They were very expensive and top shelf.

Michael's or Hobby Lobby??
They carry purse frames for people who want to make fancy purses. They are crafts shops.

Do you know what country these people were in?

I've got just about every current chop cup known to man, and your description is not ringing any bells.
Bill
I appreciate your thoughts. I'll keep searching and will find it. It may have been an illusion!
Do you happen to have a link for the fancy purse frames.
Ken
No, but I think the ones I got were called "Victorian Purse Frames." You might want to google that term.
You can find hundreds of purse frames by going google
[quote]
On 2006-04-14 20:19, Gary Dayton wrote:
I mean, what's a Gazzo?!! :) :)
[/quote]
Here's one that's spelled differently: http://bedrock.deadsquid.com/information/profiles/index.php?profile=gazoo

LMAO!!!

Or you could find the magician in question here: http://www.gazzoshow.com/
Bill
I found some great purse frames.
Thanks
Ken
Excellent!!!!!