(Close Window)
Topic: Daniel Garcia's "Greed"
I have a question for anyone who knows the effect, perhaps Daniel himself (I know the DVD is only on pre-order). Can the money used in the gimmick be spent if need be? I can't afford to use $85 that will be locked into the gimmick permanently (I'm in Canada so I would have to use 5, 10, 20 and 50 dollar bills) as I'm just a hobbyist magician and don't perform for money.

Thanks
Penguin Magic just post a demo of it and a small description.
Actually I'm trying to reach my "brother" Daniel for other things and get more details about his new DVD, but seem that he is busy because can not reach him.
Nice bill switch shows the demo.
If you get any info let us know more about it
Seems from the demo that a $50 wouldn't be necessary. Your investment would be much less. Maybe $35.50?
The original manuscript calls for $37 (two 1s, one 5, one 10 and one 20). You can probably even get away with exchanging the torn 20 for a new one at the bank (you really only need a corner of it) so in the end you'll only be out about $17, and you'd likely have to pay more than that for a marketed version. Be sure to make some practice models out of "funny" money to begin with, because the cuts and folds are easy to mess up your first few tries. Made well and routined properly this is a pretty striking effect.
To tell you guys the truth I think you only have to waste 7 dollars not 17
Yeah, that's what the manuscript suggests, but I find it hard to believe that the bank would take the 10 back with so much of it missing. At least my bank... Best of luck to you, though.
This effect looks wonderful, but it looks like you have to keep the spectators 1 dollar bill, which some people might not like.
I really like the visual aspect of it! I mean he even lowered the price by $10 for pre-orders!

Tanner
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 00:31, tunafish wrote:
This effect looks wonderful, but it looks like you have to keep the spectators 1 dollar bill, which some people might not like.
[/quote]

Not necessarily. Among other great ideas, you should research Mike Koslowski's "Hundred Dollar Bill Switch." Just one of many terrific examples.
[quote]
On 2006-04-22 22:35, Magiguy wrote:
The original manuscript calls for $37 (two 1s, one 5, one 10 and one 20). You can probably even get away with exchanging the torn 20 for a new one at the bank (you really only need a corner of it) so in the end you'll only be out about $17, and you'd likely have to pay more than that for a marketed version. Be sure to make some practice models out of "funny" money to begin with, because the cuts and folds are easy to mess up your first few tries. Made well and routined properly this is a pretty striking effect.
[/quote]

I realize this, but there are no $1 bills in Canada anymore, so my lowest denomination would have to be $5. This would make me have to use $10, $20 and $50 dollar bills, so you can see my concern. Thanks for the tip though.
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 00:31, tunafish wrote:
[/quote]

That might be useful. You could give him the fifty cent piece, then go to your pocket for two more quarters.
I am more than a bit annoyed by the penguin demo. I have the original downloadable manuscript and put the gimmick together. When performing this I can assure you people were not falling all over themselves and slapping high fives. Were these "spectators" second string L&L actors or what?
Anyway, the routine is decent looking but is by no means examinable and you are left dirty holding out.
After playing around with it I found I prefer the $100 bill switch more. It may not be as visible or have as many phases, but there is something to be set about letting the bill be examined and showing both hands "empty."
Just my take for what it is worth.

-Paul
I think from what ive seen I thought it looked like a great routine.it says in the description that the money can be spent so it must be a removable, clean, and practicle gimmick.also you have to think to yourself would Mr.Garcia let penguin release a imperfect creation?
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 11:18, paso8396 wrote:
When performing this I can assure you people were not falling all over themselves and slapping high fives. We're these "spectators" second string L&L actors or what?
Anyway, the routine is decent looking but is by no means examinable and you are left dirty holding out.

-Paul
[/quote]

Your TOTALLY right man... I hired actors that I could perform for on the streets....COME ON!!!!! Are you serious? I don't know what to tell you... you don't like the effect then .. ok. We shot about 6 demo's of Greed that night...and YES those were the REAL reactions... Please STOP accusing ME and Penguin of "spicing" up video.

...and as far as "Ending Clean"... YOU don't HAVE TO. If you have ever seen my lecture, I go into depth about how magicians are SO worried about little things that the spectator will NEVER notice... with the right audience managment.
The ending of this routine is MADE so that YOU don't HAVE to end clean... your missing the whole thinking behind the development and construction of this effect.

If your not getting good reactions...dont blame me or penguin...or the effect... try figuring out why?

Daniel Garcia
Will Greed work with Canadian bills? The bills are the same size but different colours.
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 14:01, trombley wrote:
Will Greed work with Canadian bills? The bills are the same size but different colours.
[/quote]

This is from penguins ad.

Please note: GREED works with bills of many different currencies (Danny used to do it with Monopoly Money when he was a kid).

The key is that the bills you choose to use all have to be the same dimensions.

The color of the bills is less important. You CAN ABSOLUTELY use several different colored bills. The only difference is that with multiple colors in play you'll need to adjust your finger position slightly during the third phase.
Thanks. I'm sold. I always get asked to repeat the hundred dollar bill switch and with the repeats in this one I'm sure it will statisfy.

Now lets see. borrow one dollar from one million people give back 25 cents make $750,000
excellent
OUCH!!! LOL

Anyway I have the notes but am planning on getting the DVD as well.
I just preordered the DVD. I liked this when Danny showed it at his lecture, but he also premiered DGP that night, and I only had so much cash on me, so I never picked up the Greed notes. Looking forward to the DVD. I never feel like I know enough money magic.

Kevin
Performing for drunk twenty-somethings who are on vaction in Vegas is bound to get you wild reactions, regardless of what routine you do. (Had the demo shown grown men flipping out like that in a Red Lobster somewhere in Iowa, I'd be jumping right onto this bandwagon). :)
I agree with bsears...

Also, as I mentioned in another greed thread, the US policy says you can get a new bill if you have 51% of the old bill, serial numbers or not(according to past Café post AFAIK this is right).

So, without speculating on method, if it involves cutting 1/4 or 1/8 of a bill up, you should be able to recover the the larger parts of those bills at any bank.

I don't know what the law is in canada, but you should still be able to recover some of the money this way...
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 19:15, Daegs wrote:
the US law says you can get a new bill if you have 51% of the old bill, serial numbers or not[/quote]

Very good news, indeed! Thanks Daegs!
Those reactions were ridiculous. They definitely were not actors. If they were, they were not good ones. Because nobody acts like that. I almost felt bad for Daniel at some point. These kids were either putting him on or so poorly trained to look excited it was pathetic. It's a sweet trick. And DG looks great performing it. But people just don't react like that over and over again. At some point it wasn't even reactions. It was just hyper acting induced by nothing (except a camera and a lot of booze.) A little editing would have gone a long way.

None-the-less, the trick looks nice and you can't take anything away from Daniel for the kids in the video. As for ending dirty, personally, I can't stand it. Audience management? Maybe as a working pro. Performing for friends and family- Good luck. Even Daryl, a fantastic performer, makes a big stink about how he tries at all costs to avoid tricks where he doesn't end clean.
At this past Magi-fest in Ohio. John carney performed his coin in bottle routine.After the routine was over he ask for a show of hands for anyone who knew where the real quarter was. No one raised their hand. Carney slowly turned his left hand around to show he had been holding out the entire time. Guilt will give you away before method.

I've seen Danny perform Greed and it kills. If you're worried about ending clean, Curtis has a great idea a few post above.

Best,
Joe
I too agree with the ending clean. I have never really worried about that aspect. If the hand is dirty, its dirty. Perform as if there is nothing there and no one will think differently. IMHO
I've been performing the original greed from the manuscript for a while, and it's awesome. It took me two tries to get a good gimmick, but it's awesome.

I'll probably buy the DVD just to add it to the Library, and because the Bill to Coin change looks a lot better on the DVD than it is explained in the text.

Edit: Penguin finally got some cool muzac, that blues guitar was nice.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 23, 2006 07:50PM)
I am not gonna get into any fray about magician oriented concerns.

Instead, after watching the video I can offer a "bravo" to DG for his idea and routining.

As Curtis Kam pointed out earlier, two quarters gets you a clean ending. And an amused audience.
After watching the Demo again, as far as the audience goes. To those that perform on the spot at bars or where people are disoriented, you will get reactions like that if you are excepted like one of them.

Now if Dan was there in a suit and playing the Classy Magician those reactions believe it or not would have been different. I cant remember how many time I have performed Hundy 500 at a bar or street where there are a lot of drunk people and I have gotten reactions like that [b]every time[/b] To the point where I felt I might have gotten attacked for the Bills LOL.

The only other thing that I could say at this semi defence(I don't THINK HE SHOULD HAVE TOO, TO EACH THERE OWN) but when people see cameras they act different. A lot of time people want to be in the scene so what better way then to yell louder at an effect? But I have truly gotten responses like that with similar and other effects. Just My 50 cent Piece.
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 17:25, bsears wrote:
Performing for drunk twenty-somethings who are on vaction in Vegas is bound to get you wild reactions, regardless of what routine you do. (Had the demo shown grown men flipping out like that in a Red Lobster somewhere in Iowa, I'd be jumping right onto this bandwagon). :)
[/quote]

Hey Daniel,
I like your material and your effects. In your post I don't think you needed to use the word accused. I was writing my post a bit tongue in cheek. Did I really think you (or penguin) hired actors? No. Of course not. It was a joke. I did however think it was a possibility that the spectators were encouraged to give big reactions for the cameras. I guess what bsears said in the post I quoted above is probably more the case at hand. No offense to you but I have very little respect or trust for your business partner Penguin Magic. I think they have been accused of much worse things than hiring actors. (some of those worse things probably being true.)

I think your greed gimmick is a very good idea, and never said it was bad. I mentioned many pros and cons of your effect and the $100 bill switch. I believe I am allowed to have an opinion and post it, positive or negative on this forum. As I mentioned above, what I posted was a joke. Your highly defensive reaction was not. I feel as an inventor that releases a product to the market you have to realize that not everyone is going to love your product. I think the review to the effect itself (not the demo) was fair. Please don't fall into that catergory of magic inventors that feels they have to post and defend themselves everytime someone has a different opinion.

Best,

Paul
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 23, 2006 08:20PM)
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 21:04, paso8396 wrote:...I was writing my post a bit tongue in cheek....[/quote]

The meaning of a statement is the response it elicits.
No, actually, the meaning of a statement is in the intention of the author.

FC
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 23, 2006 08:54PM)
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 21:51, FCpreacher wrote:
No, actually, the meaning of a statement is in the intention of the author.

FC
[/quote]

Unfortunately, meaning is determined by the receiver of the message, not the sender.

The road to he*l... and all that.
This is a great routine. I've perform this for very hard audiences and after the first changed there hooked. As far as the end goes, I've never been caught. And now that I finally get to see the demo, it took long enough man! =), I've got to go back and see if the end phase is the way Daniel taught it thru the manuscript, because it is very visual. Oh this will cost you $7.00 or you should make 50cents each time, which ever way you want to look at it.

Daniel, the clip with the 25 cent piece in the restaurant, that was funny.

Again great routine, what else is coming out this year for you?
Where could I buy the greed manuscript? is it available as a pdf download somewhere?
I bought it off his site which is currently down. but I recommend the dvd, knowing how daniel teaches, I bet that it'll be worth it. and at $20 now, get it before its $30!
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 22:41, knickz4lyfe20 wrote:
Where could I buy the greed manuscript? is it available as a pdf download somewhere?
[/quote]

It is available from Lybrary.com, along with a few other Garcia manuscripts. Good price and an instant download.
Get the notes, I have them [b]BUT[/b] If you have never gotten one of Daniels DVDs I suggest you either do what I did and get both or go for the DVD. The man is really good at making sure you get what you paid for. I mean his Shade, Torn and Project all have really good explanations. All you need to bring is practice.
Would it be better to go for Greed or the Infinity Switch?
Greed all the way, I bought Infinity and nah choose never to do it. Greed is more visually stunning believe it or not.
The DVD is coming out in about a month. I'd wait for the DVD if I were you. If you just can't wait, then by all means, go for the manuscript and get the DVD when it comes out. I'm sure Danny would appreciate it.

The biggest difference that I've been able to see (and I own the manuscript) is the change from the bill to the coin. It's much more visual on the preview video than it's written in the manuscript.
Yeah that is a good point. Plus I always love to watch magic.
Hey Guys... the BIGGEST difference in the DVD...is all the FINE POINTS that I go over in performing GREED....I cover everything from how to make a good bill...to how to switch a bill.... to why I perform this with my own money...and the psycology that makes it work. PLUS you get to see a me make a full bill along with you...so that you don't get confused. I have always been a visual learner...and I figured those who have bought the manuscript would appriaciate being able get "walked through" the routine.

Daniel Garcia
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2006-04-24 13:18, dg magic wrote:
.... to why I perform this with my own money...and the psycology that makes it work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to add the word SOMETIMES ... why I SOMETIMES perform this with my own money

DG
DG,
I have the manuscript but it sounds like the dvd would be a good suppliment in addition to the text. I noticed you do the 10 to 20 change with a similar cover move like those used in spellbound instead of the shaking action. I think saving the shaking for the coin productions is a big improvement. I like the fact that your routine is evolving and getting better all the time.

-Paul
I have the lecture notes of Greed but I will def. be picking up the dvd. This effect looks so amazing close up. It looks like real magic. Hey Danny will you be teaching different methods and going into more detail on the change from the 20 to a 50 cent piece? Keep up the awesome work man.
Yess... there are different changes of the 50 cent peice...and a differnt handing of the effect all together.

DG
Daniel,
The idea of having a manuscript we can read anywhere immediately, rather than having to load a DVD every time we need a refresher, is a great idea.
I wish more publishers would have both. Perhaps a DVD and a PDF manuscript of the basic instructions and handling that could be downloaded.
A good friend of mine performed this routine for me (and performed it WELL) a couple of months ago. It's hard to imagine the typical spectators reacting like those in the demo (other than, as previously mentioned, being encouraged to over-react or having a drink or two). I've seen Daniel Garcia's DVD's and respect his work. I just thought this demo was a bit much.

I firmly believe that Hundy 500 is a stronger routine. It not only looks cleaner, but it also allows the spectators to see the front and back of 5 bills (instead of corners and pieces of the changed bills).
[quote]
On 2006-04-24 16:36, Munseys_Magic wrote:
It's hard to imagine the typical spectators reacting like those in the demo (other than, as previously mentioned, being encouraged to over-react or having a drink or two). I've seen Daniel Garcia's DVD's and respect his work. I just thought this demo was a bit much.

[/quote]

First off... thanks your the compliment about respecting my work...i appriciate it. I TOTALLY understand that EVERYONE has there own oppinion...and that NOT everyone is going to like my effect... and BELIEVE ME... I am PERFECTLY FINE with that. But I assure you THESE ARE REAL REACTIONS... I didn't ENCOURAGE people to react big...and I DEFINATLY didn't encourage people to drink more. Having your own oppinion of the effect is fine... but I think judging the demo is a bit silly.

maybe I should call up Penguin and have them put up 3 demo's:

1. This Demo - for those who have performed for this type of crowd and understand that NOTHING was done to SPICE UP reactions.

2. Just the Hands (No Reactions) - For those who just want to figure out the effect so they can make it at home... heh :)

3. Just reactions (no effect at all) - for those who don't even care about the effect just want to see people having a good time with a performer. :)

HAHA... then everyone is happy :) :) :)

ok...im done heheh

Daniel Garcia
The demo is clearly marketed towards penguin's demographic. (which is why its so painful)

But anyway, Daniel - I really like the routine! Its very visual and I think it would play to almost any audience, anywhere, without a table, and even without patter if need be. (that's about as commercial as it get brother!)

I think the comparison to Hundy is important, though. I do Hundy all the time and, in my opinion, its a lot cleaner. (all the bills, both sides, etc) BUT I do think that the ending for Greed is cool and the investment is certainly less. I'd be curious to see how others feel these effects compare.
Daniel,
Is your offer on Greed's performance clip for the Note buyers still on?

Thx,
Jeff
From what I've seen of Danny, his personality helps his reactions greatly, it makes you want to root for the magician. Considering the effect, the performance, and a little bit of booze, it's not surprising the reactions he got. That's just the way it is. Alcohol and a camera may have been a factor, but consider who's putting up the clip. A company trying very hard to improve their image in the magic community, and Daniel Garcia. Would they lie to you? No.

He may be putting things out with Ellusionist (why, oh why?), but he's not going to hire out spectators to sell an effect. Besides, something like Greed speaks for itself.

Anyway, did you ever get that E-bay thing fixed?
[quote]
On 2006-04-23 21:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Unfortunately, meaning is determined by the receiver of the message, not the sender.

The road to he*l... and all that.
[/quote]

Mr. Townsend brings up a very good point that can be applied to the demo.

If the demographic used in the demo isn't to your liking, does that still make an impact on whether you're going to invest in Daniel's product?

Apparently some are offended by the reaction of Daniel's audience. Why is that?

Even if the dealer & Daniel had hired these people to be 'over the top', which Daniel has assured us is NOT the case, would it still influence your purchasing decision? Could you be fooled by something so obvious?

I mean shouldn't the decision be based on whether you think the effect has a chance to be used successfully by you for YOUR type of audience/performances? Shouldn't it be based on whether you look favorably upon the performer?

By the way Mr. Townsend, your comment above reminded of a phrase I read long ago. It read, "If someone tries to give you a lame horse, but you don't accept it, who does the horse belong to?"

Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida
I think the problem with the spectator's reactions in the demo is that they create an unrealistic expectation for the less experienced in our field. For those more experienced performers who know how people usually react to magic, they are, at worst, insulting and, at best, unnecessary.

Or, to put it another way, I'd like to purchase an effect based on the merrit of the routine in the performer's hands, not thirty seconds of the camera panning college kids flipping out.
[quote]
On 2006-04-25 18:21, bsears wrote:

Or, to put it another way, I'd like to purchase an effect based on the merrit of the routine in the performer's hands, not thirty seconds of the camera panning college kids flipping out.
[/quote]

Touche...
I didn't think the reactions were weird at all. Maybe it's because some of you perform for different audiences like family members or people in church. I go to college and perform at parties all the times and occasionally I'd get people getting as excited as in the preview if not more. I have Hundy 500 (but do 1-> 20's) and I love it. But I'm also going to buy Greed. It just looks so visual and I think it's the last thing I need to complete my repretoire of paper money. I can see why people compare Greed to Hundy 500, but I really think that these two complement each other.

1. Hundy 500
2. Greed
3. Bill Switch 1->$20

I can't wait for it!
Danny,

I pre-ordered this aswell! I can't wait for it to come out! I must say: EVERY ONE of your DVD's that came out were EXCELLENT! Very nice job!
And the GREED demo was the only demo that I actually played over and over and over, because the effect is just so great, and so thought out...

Keep up the great work,
-Vinnie

PS... Heres something that the GREED demo inspired me to do (LOL):
[IMG]http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9721/danielgarciagreedfinal4li.png[/IMG]
[quote]
On 2006-04-25 20:42, lylaster wrote:
I didn't think the reactions were weird at all. Maybe it's because some of you perform for different audiences like family members or people in church. I go to college and perform at parties all the times and occasionally I'd get people getting as excited as in the preview if not more. I have Hundy 500 (but do 1-> 20's) and I love it. But I'm also going to buy Greed. It just looks so visual and I think it's the last thing I need to complete my repretoire of paper money. I can see why people compare Greed to Hundy 500, but I really think that these two complement each other.

1. Hundy 500
2. Greed
3. Bill Switch 1->$20

I can't wait for it!

[/quote]

I agree completely. Most of you are probably just performing for a different type of audience because when I perform at a local resaurant, I get those type of reactions a lot. Especially with the teenage-college group. Of course if he performed it for an elder group they would not have reacted the same way. Everyone reacts different but why would he put on a demo of people just smiling at the effect. Its the same as David Blaine's shows. He doesn't put reactions of people who just say "oh...thats a cool trick." By putting up a video of people flipping out like that it shows the emotional reaction you CAN get. Most of you need to stop being haters on Daniel's magic because he is a very great magician.
Trust me, and DG and others when we say that reactions like that DO happen, especially with that kind of audience. they do not have to be drunk, or in front of a camera.

I have seen people act like this, or close to it in reaction to less. It is also a build up. They don't just freak out right away. It is also often part of that whole croud/mob mentailty.

They are also performing for each other.

Back when I was in high school (which feels like a few years ago rather then half a decade ago) I was just doing some magic with cards, nothing really eve all that special, and I developed a following, as many of us have had a tendency to do. (This was before the whole Blaine craze and all) Any who, I had the entire senior football team chase me down once trying to see me do magic.

I also had them freak out so much that they literally ran aay from me down the hall. The entire football team just took off screaming.

So as rediculous as it may seem sometimes, people do act like this.
I wonder what the audience reaction would be if the magician was very drunk and jumping up and down? Just joking, I couldn't resist this.

ACE
Well from the video, I think this would defiantly be worth chekcing out.

And for the guy who asked if it could be done with canadian money, the effect might actually look better because each bill is a different color.

Good job on this effect Daniel.
[quote]
On 2006-04-26 01:36, vlaraway wrote:

PS... Heres something that the GREED demo inspired me to do (LOL):
[img]http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9721/danielgarciagreedfinal4li.png[/img]
[/quote]

That, is, AWESOME!
Reactions like the ones in the demo do happen. But certainly not all the time. If I do a really good trick for five different groups of people at a restaurant, I will get everything from stone faced to what you see in the Greed demo.

Who cares how the people are reacting? What do you think of the effect and can you make it work for yourself?

To me, comparing Hundy and Greed is futile. They are different effects. Hundy is a super clean transformation of 5 bills. Greed is a multiphased transformation of one bill with a kicker ending.
I remember seeing a multiphased transformation of one bill a few years ago. I think it used foreigh bills. Does anyone know what this is? Are there others?
I do remember seeng Daniel doing his at a lecture using US money and it was very good. Maybe my mind just melted and I'm thinking of the same thing. Did Gregory Wilson do a version of a one bill change?(not Hundy). Just wondering. Or did someone else do a version? My memory is overloaded...I remember the effect but I can't remember the source.

ACE
Ace,

Yes, Gregory Wilson featured his multiphased transformation of one bill that changes currencies every time you fold it on his In Action series... The name of this effect is called Foreign Affair... I think it is a great idea, and it is very visual (with the different colors), BUT, I would have to say that GREED looks better, IMO...

But guys, heres an idea that I think would work... How about making a GREED gimmick using all different currencies? I think that would take on the same effect as Foreign Affair, but I think it would look so much better... Again, IMO...

Hope this helps,
-Vinnie
Thanks Vinnie, I was going crazy trying to remember Foreign Affair.

I Think both Foreign Affair and Greed are worth studying to make a routine all your own.

Daniel also saids to do this in his "Torn" DVD: To study all the methods and come up with your own. Very good advice.

ACE
Hey for those that have Greed where to you guys store it? Currently mine is in my wallet. Just curious.
So, let me get this straight. When you make the gimmick for GREED, you only end up losing 7 dollars? So you can still spend at least the 10 and the 20?
Nope you do "invest" a whole 37 dollars for the gimmick
I still contend that you'll only be out $17, and other forum members have stated their belief that since you will still have 75% of the $10 bill that you can turn it in to a bank for a replacement, thus you'd only be out $7.
I honestly don't see what's so bad about the people's reactions in the demo. If anyone has ever performed for drunk people, they'd probably get similar reactions. I've gotten people yelling like that and running away at bars. I actually think it's pretty funny to watch because DG just stands there and laughs at these people while he's soaking up the reactions. From my experience, the more you act the way these people are reacting in the demo, the more they'll pick up on that energy and start reacting the same way. From watching DG's videos, it's not doubt that he'd be a charismatic guy therefore warrant charismatic reactions from spectators. As far as the L&L Similarities... none of these people look like they've been smacked over the head and forced to react that way like L&L spectators do (You guys all know what they look like. I think Frank is my favorite phony actor). In addition (this is not meant to be racist whatsoever), reactions I get from Asian (mostly foreign) people (a lot of Japanese people for some reason) seem to be very "extreme" but completely genuine all together. They give out those gasps and sighs like you'd hear on Anime cartoons. This is completely from experience. For those that haven't performed for Asians I would highly recommend it (I'm Asian myself and I sometimes don't believe it) it brings a whole new dynamic to your confidence with performing. For those who don't believe me, check out Cyril Takayma clips on the net where he performs for Japanese audiences.

Either way, why would an "over-reaction" influence your decision to buy an effect or not. If this were the case, L&L would not sell any videos whatsoever.
I suppose it may depend on your bank. At his lecture when he explained this, and online in the forums, DG has said that you can get the $10 and $20 exchanged at a bank, giving you a final out of pocket amount of $7.

If your bank doesn't want to trade you for your bill, try another bank, or ask a friend, I suppose.

Either way, how many of us have spent well over even the $37 on a given magic gimmick? Pretty much all of us, I'd wager.

This effect also has the potential to earn you money every time you perform it (If the people want to keep a 50 cent piece in exchange for their original dollar) and it is totally useable in paid gigs, so use it to your advantage.

Think of it as purchasing a gimmick, rather than destroying cash.

Kevin
For those who have the manuscript, could you tell us how long my gimmick will last. if I make a 37, 17, or even only a 7 dollar gimmick, I just want to know that I won't be replacing it next week. If the gimmick starts to fall apart (I mean, if it does at all), how long will it have been since the gimmick was made. How long until the gimmick begins to look worn, tattered? I'm not trying to imply that the gimmick will be shoddy or anything, just trying to understand its longevity.
One would assume that since the gimick is made from actual bills, longevity will be that of regular bills...

It will very greatly depending on use, how its stored and much more... but I imagine if you've ever used a mismade or any specific bill for a bill change, longevity will be roughly the same if they are treated the same.
Hey guys...just want to let you know that....so far every question that has been asked on this forum is answered on the DVD..

It WILL cost you $7 to make the gimmick (others may argue...but I think I would know) :)

The last gimmick I made was 4 years ago...and it is still going strong...and I perform the effect ALL THE TIME. And to be honest with you... the only reason that I made a new one was because of the remodeling of the US currency. The gimmick that I made before that I used for 6 years and it was still going strong...it even survived me jumping into a lake with it in my wallet. I explain EVERYTHING on the DVD ...

all those who have preordered... I thank you for the support.

Daniel Garcia
Well, looks like I have no reasons not to buy it. Looks like a it's a great trick.
[quote]
On 2006-05-02 02:46, dg magic wrote:
I explain EVERYTHING on the DVD...[/quote]

Does that include why you jumped into a lake with your wallet in your pocket? :heehee:
Hey Dan,

I was just wondering... Say you borrow the $1 for someone, and do the switch... Then, after the routine, when you hand them the $.50, they check it out, but they still want their dollar back... If their an out for this problem? Is it described on the DVD?

Thanks!
-Vinnie
Greed is really good, and its self contained except for the half dollar.

vlaraway- to answer your question, you don't borrow the dollar, and you don't need to. If you do borrow the bill, then yes you need to switch it out. As Daniel said, everything is answered on the dvd. Knowing his style of explanations, and being that the whole dvd is one great trick, I'm sure the dvd explains everything.

just my two cents
Couldn't you just give them another dollar out of your pocket and say something like "sorry I lost your dollar but here's another one to repay you...if I can have my quarter back of course". You could probably pull your wallet out and take it from a stash of dollar bills that you have so it won't look like you just gave them back the dollar that they gave you. That way you can just keep their bill and give them back another one. I've used that for cigarette vanishes and nobody has seemed to mind.
[quote]
On 2006-05-02 18:17, vlaraway wrote:
Hey Dan,

I was just wondering... Say you borrow the $1 for someone, and do the switch... Then, after the routine, when you hand them the $.50, they check it out, but they still want their dollar back... If their an out for this problem? Is it described on the DVD?

Thanks!
-Vinnie
[/quote]

hey man... this is all explained n the DVD.. but for a short answer,

You have to feel out your crowd... sometimes I borrow...sometimes I use my own bill. It just depends on the audience that I perform for. I can honestly tell you,believe it or not, but I have NEVER had a laymen ask me for their dollar back after I take it from them. just play out your crowd

DG
Okay guys, I remade my Greed Gimmick the other day, and the bank DOES take back the bills. Daniel is right when he says it will only cost you $7. Without saying too much about the way they're cut, one of them looks way too gone, but they DO take it back.
If anyone has trouble cashing in the cut up extra bills just send them to me,
I'll take them!

ACE
ChrisSD, what did you say when you took them to the bank? Any story? Or just... Here, can I trade you?

Kevin
From the website of the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing:
[quote]WHAT IS NOT MUTILATED CURRENCY?
Any badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn, worn out currency note that is CLEARLY MORE than one-half of the original note, and does not require special examination to determine its value. These notes should be exchanged through your local bank and processed by the Federal Reserve Bank.[/quote]
So if your bank doesn't want to take your partial bills, tell them the US gummint tells them they HAVE to and point them to this website:
http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/8/39
Thank airship for clearing that up....

I don't know why some people just wont believe me.

Daniel Garcia
[quote]
On 2006-05-12 01:56, dg magic wrote:
Thank airship for clearing that up....

I don't know why some people just wont believe me.

Daniel Garcia
[/quote]
I'm seriously thinking about picking this DVD up - I just received my copy of Torn and I have to say that you're an awesome teacher. :)
Try This. If your a man have your girlfriend or wife go and get them changed. Have them go to a male teller. Its messed to say true but you would be surprised how somethings are just easier for them to do.
[quote]
On 2006-05-09 11:14, Mercury52 wrote:
ChrisSD, what did you say when you took them to the bank? Any story? Or just... Here, can I trade you?

Kevin
[/quote]

I just went up to cash my paycheck and at the same time said "I have these bills, are they still good?" and the teller went back to check with her manager, and she took them.
Banks are always really good to their account holders, since they don't want to lose them. Without your money, they have none to loan, and then they just have nothing.

Money is money to a bank, they don't care if it's only half there.
To me, this routine is worth it just for the last line: "Don't be greedy."
Eh...it's only special if you know the name of the trick, which spectators don't. I think the magician gets a bigger kick out of the phrase than the spectator.
I think the line will work for specs.

They're expecting 50 bucks, instead they get a 50 cent piece. People should realize the gag, even though they don't know the name of the effect.

Kevin
I think that they understand your message, but they don't get pun/gag. The funny part is the phrase's relation to the name of trick. To specs...it's just a simple closing line/moral.
I agree that the line and it's relation to the name of the trick is good, and enjoyed by magicians.

But, you don't think that setting up the expectation for $50 and the resulting in 50 cents while saying "Don't be greedy" is funny? Comedy is all about setting up an expectation, and then doing something else. All the expectation is there, and they get a totally different result and the line plays well with it.

Kevin
I have the original greed manuscript but I still have another "can this be done in canadian currency" question. I'm still wondering if it is possible to only do a $5 then $10 then $20 then 50 cents therfore leaving out a step (the $1). if any canadians have figured out a way, could you please PM me with maybe some advice. I guess I can still use a $50 and change the presentation for it to work but I would rather not. thanks
If you have the original manuscript then what is the problem? just leave out a phase!!!

it isn't rocket science to just leave out a piece and modify the gimick to only do 2 changes instead of 3.... or you could just start out with a blank piece of paper and "print" the 5 and continue.
Yeah. that sounds cool. I just thought it wouldnt hit hard enough if a phase was left out but now that I think about it, it probably wont really matter.

chris
Does anyone have this yet?
[quote]
On 2006-06-01 22:45, Brian Proctor wrote:
Does anyone have this yet?
[/quote]

Well its coming out on the 13th so I'm guessing no... But I know some people have the lecture not verison of it.
Oops. I didn't know it was coming out on the 13th. I thought that Penguin would have it ready to ship by the 26th. My bad.
Brian
[quote]
On 2006-06-02 18:44, Brian Proctor wrote:
Oops. I didn't know it was coming out on the 13th. I thought that Penguin would have it ready to ship by the 26th. My bad.
Brian
[/quote]

It was supposed to be recieved and shipped on May 26th. However, a delay happened (something with the DVD replicator company or whatever) and now penguin magic says that preorders are to continue and that it will now be shipped hopefully when it arrives at penguinmagic on June 12th.

Since the preordering has been extended the preorder price is still good.
Rock on! I thought I was gonna miss out on that good price.
I bought the manuscript and was disappointed with the scanty info on how to do the final coin switch. I don't always perform with long sleeves so I was looking for other ways to handle the finale.

The manuscript invites the purchaser to email Daniel for a performance clip. He never responded to any of my repeated email requests. (The clip on Penguin
hardly qualifies as a performance clip IMO -- it doesn't show the effect
from start to finish and instead focuses on the spectators).

Is there a performance clip of this effect anywhere that shows what the spectator sees from start to finish?

Debating whether or not to purchase the DVD...

Kevin
Try this guy on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDkn6b35rno&search=greed%2C%20dollar%20bill
Looks good.
[quote]
On 2006-06-07 15:46, delgadil wrote:
I bought the manuscript and was disappointed with the scanty info on how to do the final coin switch. I don't always perform with long sleeves so I was looking for other ways to handle the finale.
[/quote]

I've been practicing simply keep the coin behind the bill while doing the entire routine, sliding it along to different parts of the bill to keep it hidden. It's an ounce of extra practice...but that's it really, an ounce. It's not much harder to do than normal.
[quote]
On 2006-06-07 15:46, delgadil wrote:

The manuscript invites the purchaser to email Daniel for a performance clip. He never responded to any of my repeated email requests. (The clip on Penguin
hardly qualifies as a performance clip IMO -- it doesn't show the effect
from start to finish and instead focuses on the spectators).

Is there a performance clip of this effect anywhere that shows what the spectator sees from start to finish?

Debating whether or not to purchase the DVD...

Kevin

[/quote]

When I am not wearing long sleeves I just put the coin in a CP and it works fine. The only bad part is you cant show your hands as cleany but it still works. I never thought about sliding the coin around. I will have to try that out.
Are all the dealers going to be carrying this or is it "exclusive" to any dealer(s)?
It's available now...Right? ..
Think it got pushed back to the 12th.
Well, penguinmagic officially has greed at it's warehouses and is shipping it to the customers.

This means that the pre-order price is gone, and the GREED DVD is now $29.95 again.
About that greed thing. First of all I'm not a fan of street magic reactions. I cant stand kids jumping and screaming, one trying to outdo the other with a reaction. I would much prefer seeing greed or hundy 500
performed in a classy cocktail hour setting. I once did a cocktail hour and while I was taking a break
standing at the bar, someone came over to me and said "your very good with your hands", that meant more to me than jumping fake reactions.
I received the greed CD today. They did a great job on the making of the bill and performance. I thing its a great effect. Ill prpbably change it a bit. How about making the left side of the bill just like the right with a
five & 100 or 50 or 20. This way you have three changes just like the first. 1 to 5 to 100. Don't think you need
the 4th change and its much more visual seeing half the bill. Just a thought.
I think you're on to something there Doodler. That sounds like a good idea! Not sure of the construction, but I tend to agree about the fourth change. I just called Penguin to order, but they have indeed raised the price to $29.95...so maybe I'll wait for it to show up here or on Ebay. Or maybe I won't be able to control myself and I'll have to call Penguin back. Or maybe I can hook up with fellow-Houstonian Daniel Garcia himself and work something out.

BooRadley
Hi Doodler,

Just got the DVD in the mail from Penguin (I pre-ordered), popped it on and watched a few minutes but will go over it more carefully tonight at home. (One gripe: it's a drag that the there are no sub-menus to take you to the different phases of the routine in case you just want to over one element of the handling.)

Which are you referring to as the "fourth switch"? The bill-to-coin? So you're suggesting that the first switch is essentially repeated, i.e., there are two switches involving half the bill? Or are you suggesting getting rid of what is in the routine now as the 10 to 20?
Im saying make the left side for example: 5/20 just like the right 5/1
Now do the first change to a 5, turn bill around still seeing full half 5 instead of a quarter of the bill,
then do the first switchagain which will show a full half of a 20 or whaterver Then just fold the bill in eighths all you see is the 20
then do coin switch. I hope I'm clear on that. What this eliminates is the final smaller change of the 10 to 20
which I feel this not needed. I feel the 10 to 20 is too small for some spectators to see. the Original is great too. I just like the visual first change better and this handling lets you show the 3 changes larger. I'm probably not too clear on this but I think you'll figure it out
Hey Doodler...i know EXACTLY what your saying... and as a matter of fact.... that was how greed started.... BUT I believe your missing the beauty of the effect... I think your missing what all the top pro's including Bob Kohler...Chris Kenner...and many others enjoyed about the effect:

- the fact that the routine is constructed to take ALL heat off of a gimmicked bill... AND still get a great reaction from it ...all by using an emotion

When I first started experimenting with greed...i had half bills, quarter bills, whole bills...everything you could think of... but NONE of it made sence until I thought about it like this.

What a better way to get a spectator involved then by using his own emotion AGAINST himself. Why not escalate in increments so that all hopes are set on a "BIG" finally...then increasing the reaction of that finally by using a play on words BUT still delivering EXACTLY what you told them or "what they asked for". AND USING THAT MOMENT to YOUR advantage by ending with a CLEAN, examinable prop. that's what made the trick for me. I understand that by folding the bill smaller you lose visibility...but this is a close up trick... AND if you don't fold the bill you lose the built in conviser of showing a WHOLE BILL changed EACH time..that how the trick is constructed... For the spectator to complete a picture that YOU give him peices of.

I thank you for your kind words about the DVD...i just wanted to let you know that the effect is constructed the way it is ...for a reason.

thanks again,

Daniel Garcia
I don't care what any one els says, I think that trick is amazing. I give thanks to DG for makeing the DVD and selling it to people like me. Thanks a lot DG, your great, keep doing what you are doing.
DG
After comparing both ways, I do believe your way is better and I see your point. The only problem I have now,
is my new tens have a pinkish tint and next to the new twentys there is quite a color difference.
which is what made me go with 1 less change. I guess I'll have to search for older tens & twentys.
After my first trial run the person in front was really amazed, didn't see anything, the person to my left said I had more than 1 bill but still was amazed, In the mirror I was amazed.
Effect is great, dvd is great.
Anybody got any simple bill switch recommendations to start the effect for those of us who aren't into the "thanks for the dollar!" switch? (I can see that working for strangers, but it feels off for friends and family.) Am not wild about having to fold the bill all the way down to the size needed for many bill switches before starting the effect.

By the way, while I do find it annoying that (at least on my DVD) the chapter segmenting stops after the "how to make the gimmick" section, there are a lot of other very positive things about the DVD, including a rather cool and helpful changing dollar bill logo that appears throughout the construction phase.
Awesome DVD. Very clear instructions. ALL angles, ALL work covered in EVERY detail. Great work DG.

What's the deal with the "Are You Ready?" line? I thought that 'belongs' to Criss Angel.

G.
LOL that's what made it so funny,.and unexpected. I am very pleased with the DVD and the effect itself. I have mine in my wallet and hopefully will find someone to try it on tonight.
Has anybody taken the $10 or the $20 to the bank and tried to get new bills so the gimmick really does only cost $7??? If so, what did you tell the bank about why the bills are cut?
Just use DG's suggestion about a lawnmower accident ;)
I used that my niece tried to make a collage and cut my bills up. Worked perfectly.
Batson,

There are a lot of different ways to ring in your gimmicked bill. You could simply fold up the bill and vanish it, only to have it reappear in your wallet, pocket, wherever. Ask someone for a dollar, say "Better yet, anyone have for quarters?" as you reach into your pocket looking for the quarters, ring in the gimmick. If someone actually does give you the quarters, just do Sh4de. Of course if you are Chris Angel, you could borrow your gimmicked bill from a stooge.

xx
I'm, for lack of a better word, workshopping the following method to ring in the gimmick. It doesn't seem to make a big difference anyhow but it flows with the patter. Here's the bare bones.

I've got the gimmick folded and concealed in my right hand and I ask for a dollar.
I fold the borrowed dollar to match the gimmick.
I bring both hands back together and 'split' the dollar now showing 2 identical.
I 'magician choice' the gimmick and hand the borrowed one back.
Since I went from 1 to 2 I now proceed into a 5, 10, etc.
[quote]
On 2006-06-24 10:41, Charlie Justice wrote:
I'm, for lack of a better word, workshopping the following method to ring in the gimmick. It doesn't seem to make a big difference anyhow but it flows with the patter. Here's the bare bones.
I've got the gimmick folded and concealed in my right hand and I ask for a dollar.
I fold the borrowed dollar to match the gimmick.
I bring both hands back together and 'split' the dollar now showing 2 identical.
I 'magician choice' the gimmick and hand the borrowed one back.
Since I went from 1 to 2 I now proceed into a 5, 10, etc.
[/quote]

There you go...nice... :) ..
The switch that Paul Harris wrote up in the Art of Astonishment for "Counterfeit Spectator" is probably the best way to ring in a gaffed bill I've read.
I made a dry run gimmick using the PDF found on the disc. Turned out great, I now have every confidence that I won't have any problems using real bills with it.

Hope to get it built sometime this week, and start performing a few weeks after. I really like this effect.

Kevin
Just a BTW...I made my Greed Bill so that only the 1 dollar bill is as described in the making. The 5, 10, and 20 are all front view revelations of the bills. It was a personal choice, of course, to use the fronts instead of the backs because the 10 and 20 'side' could be cut to match a lot better on the frontside views than the backside. I also liked the initial change/contrast from a backside 1 to a front side 5 a little better. Just a matter of taste I suppose.

I've also incorporated some slight handling modifications (quite simple ones) to allow the 50 cent piece to be concealed within the folds from the onset of the routine and then kept in finger palm and moved behind the bill once or twice to show boths hands completely empty once or twice. This, of course eliminates having to go get the coin at the end. Again, a simple personal preference but it's working out a lot better for me.

Greed is absolutely phenomenal. Very well done Daniel!
Greed is about the best money effect I have. I recieved the Greed DVD Tuesday and as soon as I finished watching it, I couldn't wait to have the gimmick made and begin practicing the handling. I can't believe how quickly I had picked up the handling. The hardest part of the handling for me was the coin change but I have got it down pretty well now.

Danny, thanks for creating this amazing effect.

-JD
[quote]
On 2006-06-23 23:53, dizney79 wrote:
Has anybody taken the $10 or the $20 to the bank and tried to get new bills so the gimmick really does only cost $7??? If so, what did you tell the bank about why the bills are cut?
[/quote]

Well ive been a member here for a while, I just have never really posted much. But I just bought the ebook and heres what I plan on saying, "I got this as change at the grocery store and I just thought it was folded over but its really cut, can I have a new one?" And they will give me a new one. Hopefully...
So, does anyone sell this besides Penguin?

DG - can I order direct from you? I'd love to see my money go strait to ya.
Is greed possible with Euro Bills?
Bsears: You can order the Greed manuscript from Lybrary.com but I have not located anyone else with the DVD as of yet.

Memory-Jah: As long as the bills are the same size you can perform Greed with any currency.
Lol I knew it. this is so f#cked up. the f#cking euro currency has not equal sized bills. like hundy 500 I cannot perform perfectly great bill effcts or better said: probably some of the best money tricks. this really suxs. I hate our d#mn currency so much. we have no 1-euro bills, unequal sizes, no silver coins....i hope you american people appriciate your great currency, I really envy you for.

:(
Why don't you make a "foriegn exchange" type Greed bill.... use different bills from all over the world.

Or you could scan in your currency...then start with a bill... then it fades all the way down to just white paper...and eventually vanishes (getting rid of the gimmick)

just some other ideas

DG
Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for the great ideas. I really like the fading idea. But using a foreign currency isn't my cup of tea, it doesn't matter if it is for coin routines or anything else. It is just because it looks not normal to people here even if they recognize the currency. Everyone will think: Why don't he uses a normal bill or coin... And from there crazy ideas go through their heads like gimmick, gaff whatsoever. Really a pitty I cannot use the full potential of these great tricks. But the fading idea sounds really nice. If anyone who has toyed around a little with Greed has some more ideas like this, I would like them to hear them.

Jah
If anyone still has doubts on whether or not the bank will take them, that's a yes. I took my cut bills and said 'will you exchange these for spendable bills?' they said yes, no questions asked.
"Unfortunately, meaning is determined by the receiver of the message, not the sender." (QUOTE)...Jonathan Townsend

This would only be true if the initiator is not good at conveying his exact meaning. The receiver can interpret the meaning how he wishes (correctly or incorrectly) but he cannot determine or change the meaning intended by the initiator. All he can do is to understand it or misunderstand it or ask for clarification.

How many times have we seen this scenario played out on this forum:

Howard: "Jonathan, I really don't care much for that new coin trick of yours"

Jonathan: " Well, Howard, then you must mean that you are a better magician than I am"

-VS-

Howard: "I really love your stuff, Jonathan and I have all your videos. But I just don't care for that one trick."

Jonathan: "Well, you're welcome to your opinion... etc., etc.

The meaning comes completely from the initiator and his/her ability to convey that meaning clearly and concisely. A person who can convey his meaning clearly will leave no room for interpretation in an intelligent conversation on the part of the receiver as to what the initiator actually meant.

"How pregnant sometimes his replies are."

Howard
I also had no problem exchanging my bills.
I stand corrected.
I initially had doubts about this trick—and I had posted comments about the video clip, feeling they cut away from the trick. not expose weak points. I've been led down that garden path so many times that I thought it to be the case again. Well I decided to buy it, based on comments on the forum, and I'm happy to say I love this effect!!

Hat's off to you Mr G!
Good for you Marco!

I couldn't agree more, I think this is one of the best effects to come out in a while. It is absolutely brilliant!

It is not like a regular bill change, where you have them examine a one dollar bill (or borrow one), and then change it to a hundred, and have them examine it again. Sometimes I feel like that sets up a test conditions type of challenge.

Greed is more light hearted, and eye popping visual magic. You are already moving on to the next phase before people have a chance to think about how you accomplished the last change. It ends on a surprising and comical ending, and doesn't leave the spectators trying to figure it out. They just enjoy it.

Two thumbs up for Greed!

Matt
I like the kicker ending of the trick. I use it, as suggested in the manuscript, to merge into coin magic, specifically Alex Linian's Puncture. I twisted the end a bit (use DC's "how about 25" line) and then proceed to stick pens through coins. It's quite fun, really, and then you have an even more exciting prop to hand out for examination.
I also move from Greed to a 4 coin trick which is a great excuse to reach into my pocket and ditch the bill. To those who are wondering about banks exchanging the bills, I actually used my $20 to buy coffee the other day. The clerk had to ask her boss, but as I explained to her, it's legitimate with more than half the bill.
[quote]Thank you very much for the great ideas. I really like the fading idea. But using a foreign currency isn't my cup of tea[/quote]

Fair enough. But for others that might be considering, Gregory Wilson's Foreign Affair is amazing for that. It's found in his "In Action" series on volume 3.

It's similar to greed. "Foreign Affair - Each time you fold a one dollar bill, it changes into another country's currency—from a Pound to a Euro to a Ruble to a Yen—and finally into a perfectly examinable hundred dollar bill!"

It's one of my favorite effects, and I think Greed would play just as well using foreign currency.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Anyone try printing the gimmick?

I noticed that those Million dollar bills you get are printed on a linen paper, which I've been toying with for printing cards (doesn't work to well for that ;) ) but I imagine you could print these so that you don't have to waste money.

Seeing as how they would be partial bills there should be no counterfit issue, and they aren't examined by the spec so I doubt the quality is an issue.
[quote]
On 2006-07-06 22:47, Memory-Jah wrote:
Lol I knew it. this is so f#cked up. the f#cking euro currency has not equal sized bills. like hundy 500 I cannot perform perfectly great bill effcts or better said: probably some of the best money tricks. this really suxs. I hate our d#mn currency so much. we have no 1-euro bills, unequal sizes, no silver coins....i hope you american people appriciate your great currency, I really envy you for.

:(
[/quote]

I hate this too !!! I have an even bigger problem here in romania.
not only are the bills not equal in size but our bills are not made out of paper ... they are plastic !!! you can't build anything out of these.
I got so ****ed and still built the gimmick and went out to see how that plays.
the first group of people I did it for flipped.i think they even forgot that I was using U.S. dollars when the effect was done.
I had one guy who asked me why I use dollars. by the time his question came out I was already into the switch displaying a romanian coin and I think that was what shut him up.so , memory-jah I suggest you build the gimmick and go try it out. end with a euro coin and I think you'll be fine.
there are lots of tourists visitng my home town all the time. I love performing for them. lots of americans visit and they don;t complain about the bills ;)
all the best

-Matt
You can comment on the comparison of the US dollar to your own, or perhaps about American tourists tipping with one dollar bills.

I actually did this for fun, granted I have actually worked it out nicely with Canadian, but I had an American gimmick too and commented on how the Americans just toss aside their one dollar bills like their nothing. Then patter about how I wish the did that with their fives etc...

Posted: Aug 9, 2006 12:38am
Ok, so for those doing it with Canadian, DEFINATELY try it with printing your own as it will cost you a minimum of thirty $ to make it, and it seems that banks are now having the policy that they need both serial numbers on the bill to replace it.

Don't know why, as long as you have more then half the bill and a full serial number then they should replace it because that means that the other piece is LESS then half, so there is no way to get two bills from one and people also don't get ****ed if a bill is torn and they loss a piece.
To get a bill replaced, you need at least a full serial number and a significant portion of the serial number on the other side. My mother, who is a teller at a bank, told me that the twenty should be exchanged, or even used in real stores, but there might be banks that will refuse the ten because it's missing a part of the second serial number.
Yeah, which really doesn't make much sense to me at least.

If there is one FULL serial number, and clearly MORE then HALF of the bill, there should be no problem with replacing it.

The concern, as was told to me by my bank, is that some one could use the other serial number for a new bill as well, but that is why you need to clearly have more then half of the bill.

What is the point of having most or all of the second number any way? In replacing a damaged bill that is.

Any who, this is why I suggest printing, at the very least, the 10 and the 20 parts. Also good because you can photoshop them to be as needed. Those who have it will probably know what I mean.
I am having some trouble doing the snap change at the end of this trick. When I extend my middle finger and do the change, I cannot get the bill to end up clipped between the middle and first fingers correctly. It is usually sticking out too far under the coin. Can someone give me some tips as to how to fix this. I have watched the video repeatedly, but still cant figure out what I am doing wrong.
I had no problem getting "rid" of the $20 to a Quick Check (a "7-11" type of store that also sells Gasoline) while buying a candy bar. The clerk said she'd except it because part of the 2nd serial number is visable.

I have to still get "rid" of my $10. . . This bill, however, may be a big problem, because NONE of the 2nd serial number is present. Any tips on getting "rid" of this bill???

I brought the bills to 2 different banks and BOTH refused to exchange them due to 2 WHOLE serial numbers need to be present on each bill as stated in a few posts up from this one in this forum.

What about sending the "chopped-up, but 75% or more intact" bills to the U.S. Treasury in Philadelphia?? Is that a possibility, or will you basically say "Bye-Bye" to $30 sent there?? Check this website out:

http://www.bep.treas.gov/section.cfm/8/39

Is anyone familiar with this website and do these "chopped-up" bills to construct the GREED Gimmick warrant an appropriate exchange??

Obviously, I am looking for the fastest and easiest way to exchange them.

Thanks
My experience exchanging the cut up bills:

My wife was rejected at the local bank being told that '3 corners' needed to be intact in order to exchange the bills. The teller, in fact, sorta giggled at the request and most unprofessionally made my wife feel foolish for even asking.

I copied the website US BEP website info and went back to the bank. Same teller, same answer (same smartass attitude). I asked to speak to the manager.

Manager tells me the same thing. I hand him the US BEP policy (if more than 50% of the bill is intact it will be exchanged by commercial banks) and he stills insisted that the 3 corner policy is what they've always adhered to and that I should send the bills to the US BEP for an exchange.

I said that if I were to remove the entire inside of a bill leaving only the outside border that I would have FOUR corners intact. Would he then exchange THAT bill?

He laughed it off and said there was nothing he could do.

I asked him that since the bank had a different policy than the people who actually made the money in the first place that someone is obviously wrong. I then asked him if he had any written documentation on this '3 corner' policy as I would like to continue up the ladder investigating this inconsistency in policies.

As a long time customer he asked me to have a seat as he would be right back with the information.

He returned a few minutes later with what appeared to be a thick Standard Operating Procedures Manual of some sort. A minute or so of searching and he looks up to me, chagrined, and says "you're right". He showed me where their policy was in fact verbatum to that of the USBEP policy.

He apologized for not knowing where his '3 corner' policy came from and told the teller to exchange my bills.

I was quite tempted to rub this into that teller's face but restrained myself as I knew that I would be returning to exchange bills to her and only her in the future.

Taking the manager of a bank to school was quite satisfying.
Charlie Justice,
I hope that was as good for you as it was for me?
Ok-- I FINALLY got rid of the bills today. Here's the story. . .

3 different name bank companies in New Jersey (including my own bank & branch) REFUSED to exchange them. I asked all 3 to show me written documentation of their policy of "2 whole serial numbers need to be present on each bill" despite showing them my printed documented webpage from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) (see a post above with its weblink) stating:

A NON-Mutilated Bill is "Any badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn, worn, out currency note that is CLEARLY MORE than one-half of the original note, and does not require special examination to determine its value. These notes should be exchanged through your local bank and processed by the Federal Reserve Bank."

All 3 banks said it was their own branch's discretion, where their manager has the final say. They stated that there is NO written policy for that matter, whether in a protocol book or any other paper form (which I found was a bit odd in our bureaucratic world in this day and age). I even called up the bank's customer service using their own telephone line telling them the same issue with my bills. They all said that there is NO written document and they would NOT write me one stating that each bill needs 2 serial numbers. I then called the BEP myself and they told me that it is the decision of the individual bank. However, mailing it to them would reassure me that it would be exchanged in the form of a check, but it would take 6-8 weeks and I needed to send it as registered mail (another $5).

One thing the customer service representative stated to me of the bank was to try to spend the money at a store and maybe someone would accept it. I thought this was very peculiar coming from the bank to say, especially because THEY would not accept the bills themselves. I laughed it off-- What's this country coming to??

Anyway, I took that advice, to bypass the 6-8 week process. I went to Walmart. I bought a box a crackers and just handed him (about a 17 year old "boy") the $10. (I didn't mention anything to him and he took it with only seeing it being a "folded" $10 and put it right in the register). I walked out of Walmart.

I then went to a Dunkin' Donuts and bought a bagel. The clerk (a "foreigner") took the $20 (I didn't mention anything about it while handing him it). He asked me "Is this good?". I responded "I guess-- I mean 75% of the bill is still intact." He shrugged his shoulders and continued to put it in his register. He handed me the changed. I walked out of Dunkin' Donuts.

Amazing how I wanted to do the right thing by spending about an hour running around 3 different banks and talking to numerous managers there. . . Only to find out that (with their own "crooked" advice) I spent just 10 minutes to get rid of the bills. Now it is someone else's headache.

Sorry for the long anecdote, but although funny, it might be helpful to someone skeptical trying to get rid of the bills and trying to avoid buying this wonderful trick because of some "hidden" costs to make the gimmick.

I am sure that other people have funny and interesting stories.

Remember. . . .

"TRAGEDY + TIME = COMEDY"
I have to say I haven't seen Hundy 500 but do own, and have performed Greed before. I have to say that it doesn't bother me about not ending clean, and I'm not even all that amazing at sleight of hand. The routine is great and gets a good reaction, especially the ending. All this talk of Hundy being better because you can hand out the hundred dollar bill for examination afterwards does raise one question though, am I the only person who would not feel remotely comfortable handing a perfectly good note worth that much to a complete stranger? Could just be me.

Will