(Close Window)
Topic: Flipper coins routine
Beside Troy's DVDs, any other video I can find routine for flipper coin ? Thanks
I think Dan Watkins (I'm sure he'll post soon!) has some great stuff with a flipper.
Yes on Dan's DVD he has a routine that I think is AWESOME with "said" coin. Cheers,
Bill
Here's another Vote for Dan's DVD
David Harkey put an effect out on the market a few years back that included a Flipper coin. Can't remember the name. Anyone remember?

Thanks,

Kranzo
And of course don't forget about Robert Swadling's Double Deception
I agree Dan has a nice flipper routine, however, it's based on the Schoolcraft flipper. The routine won't work wih the regular flipper. Unless your referring to a different video than coinman walking.
Hi Gang,
I will have some stuff Comeing out With A Filper Some time In the next year or Two! Not sure if it will be on DVD or not! Ok Latter Man!

Best David neighbors
The Coinjurer
I do She Fly (with a Porper chip flipper). Effect: Place a chip or coin on back of a spectator's hand (lady is best). Ask her to toss it into the air, turn hand over and catch it.

Good, now lets see if you can do it with two. (Set flipper and fp fair chip).

Place flipper on her hand. She tosses the two (?) chips/coins up and catches ONE.

One had vanished and you bring it out from behind her ear. Or wherever suits you.
Werner G Seitz (RIP) had a wonderful stand up coins through the table. He posted a link to a video somewhere on this site. If I recall correctly the flipper was used under the table and then he did a sort of shuttle pass with it above the table.

It also had a backfire which I think comes from Mike Gallo. I've seen or read seen instructions for the backfire somewhere but can't remember where.
[quote]
On 2006-05-23 21:55, Pete Biro wrote:
I do She Fly (with a Porper chip flipper). Effect: Place a chip or coin on back of a spectator's hand (lady is best). Ask her to toss it into the air, turn hand over and catch it.

Place flipper on her hand. She tosses the two (?) chips/coins up and catches ONE.

One had vanished and you bring it out from behind her ear. Or wherever suits you.
[/quote]

Nice idea Pete!
[quote]
On 2006-05-23 21:55, Pete Biro wrote:

[/quote]

I'm especially interested in this as I'm am looking to get my first flipper. I was under the impression that for most flipper coins--other than the new and relatively expensive gravity flippers--that you couldn't just lay them out on a hand or flat surface as two coins and have them lay there. My understanding the gaff will immediately closeup on itself because of the elastic tension. Frankly, I'd much prefer the coin to stay open sitting on the table, but I didn't think that would work with a normal flipper coin. I'm assuming it would work with a gravity flipper--although if the tension is too low, perhaps it might not close all the way when flipping it in the air. Sure wish there was a magic store close by with everything in stock to look at and hold!

Am I missing something in terms of the physics of flippers?

BooRadley
I don't know that much about the varous flippers, but you can email Jamie Schoolcraft or Dean Dill and they will give you a straight answer.

Why I do SHE FLY with poker chips is that if the flipper is dropped it will not become bent or damaged... but with a coin it CAN GET DAMAGED if dropped.
Hi Boo,
Yea A Gravity will Lay Flat On the Table! ( Tod's will Anyway! I don't know about Any of the outher one! :) )Ok latter man!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
[quote]
On 2006-05-24 13:51, BooRadley wrote:
I'm especially interested in this as I'm am looking to get my first flipper. I was under the impression that for most flipper coins--other than the new and relatively expensive gravity flippers--that you couldn't just lay them out on a hand or flat surface as two coins and have them lay there. My understanding the gaff will immediately closeup on itself because of the elastic tension. Frankly, I'd much prefer the coin to stay open sitting on the table, but I didn't think that would work with a normal flipper coin. I'm assuming it would work with a gravity flipper--although if the tension is too low, perhaps it might not close all the way when flipping it in the air. Sure wish there was a magic store close by with everything in stock to look at and hold!

Am I missing something in terms of the physics of flippers?

BooRadley
[/quote]
BooRadley,

The gravity style flippers have 3 characteristics not typical with the standard flippers:

1. They open via gravity. Simply pick the coin up by its edges and the insert will fall out (much like un-shelling a coin).
2. Once open it will remain open under its own weight laying flat on a hand or table. (This however can be adjusted by using different weight rubber bands or multiple bands to increase tension to make it "act" like a standard "springy" flipper.)
3. It has no visible rubber band groove in the edge of the insert.

Even though the gravity type flippers can remain open under their own weight, they will flip shut and remained shut if tossed into the air or from hand to hand.

In fact I use this characteristic in one of my routines on my [url=http://www.coinvanish.com/cmw.html]Coin Man Walking DVD[/url] referenced above (thanks for the plug guys.)

If you watch he demo clip for the DVD by clicking [url=http://home.comcast.net/~storage74/cmw.mov]HERE[/url]. In the middle of the video where the narrator says "Coin Man Walking is a training DVD that stresses the training" you can see how fast the coin will shut as I toss it into her hand.

As you can also see on the demo clip, the DVD also includes a full discussion of the Schoolcraft flipper coin with Jamie. All the attributes I describe above are featured, and demonstrated. The only feature that has since been added that I did not cover on the DVD is that all of the Schoolcraft flippers are made with steel cores now so they will adhere to magnets for ditching/holding, etc.
Dan--very good and helpful information. It's nice to be able to get the inside scoop on such detailed questions from independent experts. Much appreciated. I'm in your debt.

BooRadley
The backfire through the table is Mike Galllo's. Great idea!

Ron Jaxon has a great coins through table using a Flipper as well.

All the best,

Kranzo
I've remembered where I saw the Mike Gallo backfire taught - it's by Mark DeSouza on the Coinvention DVDs
My routine with the Flipper (I learned the basics of it from Anthony Gerard) is in Mike Powers new book Power Plays.

Ron Jaxon
Ron Jaxon gave me my first experience with a flipper around 1991-92 at the first Abbott's convention I had attended. I didn't know anyone at the convention, so I mostly stood around and observed. I happened to get too close to the action at the VFW and became a volunteer. He did a coins across routine in my hands and completely knocked me out. I had not heard of a flipper coin at the time. That moment was a special feeling for me to have been able to experience "real" magic. And that memory is still vivid in my mind. I could walk past Ron now, and he would have no idea who I was or how powerful that moment was to me. That moment has always motivated me to try and leave that same impression on people who watch me perform. I strive to create that type of memorable experience with the spectators I encounter. Thanks, Ron for that moment and the inspiration.
Patrick
Ooops sorry about the duplication....gggrrrr
Was Tony eating Dorito's when he performed it? He has a bad habit of having cheesy fingers if you didn't notice Ron. : )

All the best,

Kranzo
I've thought about picking up a flipper for a while, but wanted to see a video of a routine with a flipper before I made the plunge. Anyone know where I can see one?
Some would not like to promote that they are using a flipper in a recorded performance...although I do agree with you, I'd like to see some routines with shells and flippers so we know what effects are possible in the hands of experts. I'm a hack, but I do know some of my work has mystified laymen when using a shell. I'd like to add the flipper and make some "real" magic.

Some think the use of these props cheapens the routine. I for one don't care HOW you did it as much as HOW WELL you did it and mystified me. I understand pure digital manipulation is an artform--and I appreciate it--but a whole lot of normal folks outside the magic community don't care if a prop was used. They just remember being entertained.

BooRadley
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a flipper when compared to a shell?
The videos I've watched either have a shell routine or a flipper routine. I have not seen any video routines that uses the flipper with the shell. I think that would make a great effect. Does anyone perform with this combo?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 29, 2006 07:06PM)
Yes folks have used the flipper with the e] to good effect. I believe Troy Hooser published some routines of that kind.
[quote]
On 2006-05-29 18:00, Sleightly Small wrote:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a flipper when compared to a shell?
[/quote]

What they have in common is that you can show one coin as two or two as one.

However, the shell coin allows you to completely seperate the two coins. Also a shell can be used over multiple coins. You cannot do either with a flipper.

A shell is usually easier to seperate from a coin.

A flipper is harder to open and usually requires a flicking motion, unless it is one of the new gravity types.

Benefits of a flipper are that two coins become one without any moves - you can toss the two coins, and instantly they become one. You can also toss a flipper from hand to hand as one coin, a shell would fly off of a coin, unless it was shimmed over a magnetic coin.

Personally, I think a shell is way more versatile, though when you need two coins to become one by tossing them, or dropping them, a flipper cannot be beat.
Just in case anybody missed it, I forgot about this video that uses a flipper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXWeImSCS34

Although this is a nice routine, I'd like to see more with a flipper.

Johnathan, congrats on breaking 13,000....wow.
I just watched the clip mentioned by Casual Soul. Pretty routine. Interesting choice for accompanying music, though. I wonder if he directs his corporate clients to view that clip, unless his corporate clients are rap record labels. Hey, I think Frank Zappa's song "Billy the Mountain" is a really cool song, but I certainly wouldn't use it as background music for a magic clip. That could be a new technique for mis-direction. Right at the critical moment when the "dirty work" is about to happen...throw out an F-bomb, that would shake 'em up. I wonder if Mr. Vernon ever consider that technique???
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 30, 2006 08:55AM)
Coin magic as performed by South Park's Cartman?
[quote]
On 2006-05-30 01:53, patrick flanagan wrote:
I just watched the clip mentioned by Casual Soul. Pretty routine. Interesting choice for accompanying music, though. I wonder if he directs his corporate clients to view that clip, unless his corporate clients are rap record labels. [/quote]

Ha ha ha......

So far none of my clients have seen any of my work on the web, that I'm aware of....

This video clip was actually circulated among a small group of "like-minded" individuals in the magic community and the music was merely a joke. I was purposely added as an inside joke. Everytime I watch it, I roll on the floor laughing....lol
Nate,

David's Flipper coin routine is called "Heavy Metal" and it's a great piece of magic.
Very streamlined, like all of Dave's work.

travis
[quote]
On 2006-05-26 18:05, patrick flanagan wrote:
Ron Jaxon gave me my first experience with a flipper around 1991-92 at the first Abbott's convention I had attended. I didn't know anyone at the convention, so I mostly stood around and observed. I happened to get too close to the action at the VFW and became a volunteer. He did a coins across routine in my hands and completely knocked me out. I had not heard of a flipper coin at the time. That moment was a special feeling for me to have been able to experience "real" magic. And that memory is still vivid in my mind. I could walk past Ron now, and he would have no idea who I was or how powerful that moment was to me. That moment has always motivated me to try and leave that same impression on people who watch me perform. I strive to create that type of memorable experience with the spectators I encounter. Thanks, Ron for that moment and the inspiration.
Patrick

[/quote]

I love finding out things like that. Makes me feel like I've done something right once or twice. :) Be sure to go to the Abbotts get together again and come say hello to me.

Eric:
Nice coin routine on that video. I have something I've been cooking up for a while now that would make a great ending to that routine. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the info.

I've tried for some time to make a video of my flipper coin routine. The problem is it's hard to get the full effect on video. It's much better experienced live. The first two phases of the routine I do are in Mike Powers new book Power Plays. He didn't include my last two phases. He feels that the first two phases are so strong that nothing can top it. I agree to some point but I still perform my last two phases. The phases go as follows:

[b]Phase 1[/b]Spectator shakes 4 coins between their cupped hand. One coin vanishes and appears in magicians hand.

[b]Phase 2[/b]Magician holds one coin under the table. The spectator drops 3 coins on the tabletop. one coin goes through the table.

[b]Phase 3[/b]One coin vanishes from spectators hand and makes a surprise appearance on the table next to the other two.

[b]Phase 4[/b]Last coin travels from magicians hand and makes a surprise appearance in the spectators hand. The spectator now has all 4 coins.

I love the routine because each phase happens in the spectators hands and none of the phases can be explain with logical thinking (meaning they have no idea a gimmick is being used). Many magicians wouldn't place a gimmick in a spectators hand but after years of performing this routine I've come up with many subtleties to prevent them from discovering it.

If I where asked to perform one close up routine to someone this would be the one I'd do. Not much can top it in my opinion. Of course, you have to know how to present it as always.

I'll try to make a video of it.

Ron Jaxon
Jeez Ron...I sort of like to see that one. I know video may not be the best experience for it...but I'm really interested in some flipper routines. I also like to get full details. You said part of it was published...is it available anywhere else. I really like effects that take place or use the audience hands. Having 4 coins turn into three in a spectator's hands is just too cool for school!

I think you should market it!

BooRadley
Jaxon,

Let me know when your video is ready . Thanks
[quote]
On 2006-05-30 23:52, meauxfeaux wrote:
Nate,

David's Flipper coin routine is called "Heavy Metal" and it's a great piece of magic.
Very streamlined, like all of Dave's work.

travis
[/quote]

Thanks for the reference man! I wish I would have purchased this years ago when it was still available. I can't even remember the routine now!

All the best,

Kranzo
Is "Heavy Metal" in a lecture notes or in a video ? Thanks
Heavy Metal was an individual routine sold by David many years ago at his lectures. It came with the necessary flipper coin.
You'll be hardpressed to find it these days.
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2362
Heavy Metal by David Harkey

This might be the same.
Thanks for link....The description sounds like a jaw dropping use of the coin.....
Ron Jaxon,

In leu of a video, is the full four-phase routine written up anywhere? Perhaps lecture notes?

I have the Power's book, and while I can understand his enthusiasm over the first two phases of your routine, it would seem that a four-coin routine, logically, would need to be a four-phase routine.

The first two phases are great, and I'm sure the last two are as well. And ending with all four coins in the spectator's hand is the way it should be.
Ron - do you use just one flipper and no other gimmicks?
Yes, it only uses one flipper coin and no other gimmicks.

I feel the same way. I mean Mike Powers has a great point about the first to phases being so strong that not much can fallow them. But I like the flow of the entire routine. It falls in the flow that I think all magic routines should have. A powerful opening. An entertaining middle (The surprise appearance get's great reactions) and a shocking finish.

I think the coins appearing in their hand is a shocking finish after you've been making them vanish from their hand. So it kind of reverses and I also agree that the fact that all the coins are in the spectators hand at the end is a very clean way to finish. Then I add the jumbo coin for a real kicker.

I was planning on waiting until my DVD is finished but it looks like it'll take a lot longer then I had hoped. I'm still aiming to have it ready by the time for the Abbotts get-together in August but we'll see.

So I took my written instructions and made them into an E-book. I'm not placing any link on my site to it right now. I'll just link to it from here (Don't want the entire worlds performing it yet.. :)).

Anyone who knows how the flipper coin works will understand basically what happens just by the description of the effect, but the most important thing in this E-book are the subtleties and presentation tips. During this routine you're placing a gimmick coin in your spectators hand and seemingly giving them control of the situation. Because of this a lot can go wrong if you don't know these subtleties. They casually encourage them to not only do what you need them to do but more importantly for them to not do what you don't want them to do. So I hope the information I put in this E-book will allow you to avoid those things that can go wrong. It took me about 15 years of mistakes to work them out.

Anyway, here's the link to more information and where to get the E-book. My friend said I'm stupid for putting this price on it but I feel it's fair since you'd have to pay for a flipper coin too.

[url=http://www.magicjax.com/flipmout]Click here for more info[/url]

Ron Jaxon
Anyone had time to perform this yet? Looking forward to reading how it goes.

Ron Jaxon
Ron - it reads well and it looks to be within my capabilities. Just waiting to get my flipper coin ... and a bit of practice ...
Just ordered it. Im glad to Jaxon, since I'm leaving soon I wont have a mailing address until mid August. At least I can have some things to read and practice while traveling. Thanks.
Garret Thomas uses a flipper coin and e[ combo on his classic vhs tape "ANY QUESTIONS?" for a three fly routine he calls Threasy.

Scott.l
I don't think Threasy is the 3-fly - it's a three coin production and vanish
But there is a 3-fly effect on that tape
Jaxon
Still practicing it in My own hands basically mimicking as if I was the spec as well. I only have my School craft Flipper and don't always have a table around so you bet that I'm a little cautious, but I hope to over come it and try it out on someone. Thanks Jaxon, would be great to see some clips of your audience reactions. But that's just me, I'm a reaction freak.
Oh wow Ron, I just re-read this thread and noticed that you have a great routine along the same basic lines as a routine I've been playing with after seeing Dan Watkins routine 4 Coins, Your Hands. Great minds think alike......

I think I'll be picking up your routine to compare notes. This routines sounds like a winner.
[quote]
On 2006-05-22 16:40, Godhandz wrote:
And of course don't forget about Robert Swadling's Double Deception
[/quote]

Eric,

I'm happy to see someone post this. Bob came up with the concept and marketed what's become known as the Flipper Coin, almost 40 years ago. He called it the Swadling coin. Good to see he hasn't fallen into complete obsucity and the he's still getting some credit.

Vince Mendoza
The troy hoosier book has a lot of effects using the flipper coin.
I first saw routines with the flipper by Troy Houser (sp). After being blown away by his stuf I learned that others had "discovered" it simaltaneausly, that is, years before and a few since.

A new gimmick only alters the current effects and methods a tiny bit, but after a while, once it becomes old, and new again, entirely new effects are created and methods exploited. It's pretty cool.
Jamie Schoolcraft gives Bob full credit for the flipper coin on the Dan Watkins dvd which contains Dan's great handling for the coin.
Ron,just ordered your routine but haven't been sent the download link yet so still waiting to try it out :)but certainly looking forward to it as it sounds great.
Ron,thanks for sorting out the link. All is fine now looking forward to trying this out. Thanks:)
Ron,
I've been performing Flip-m-out for about 6 weeks now, and it is getting a fabulous reaction. I purchased a flipper from Schoolcraft and would gladly have paid 3 times the amount for the reactions I've gotten using his coin and your routine. Many regulars at the restaurant and bars in which I work, have commented that it is one of the best routines they have seen me perform. And, they have seen literally hundreds of tricks over the years. Thanks, Ron.
Patrick
Ron,
I've ordered it based, on the comments from Patrick. Looking forward to it.
Jim
This routine is absolutely phenomenal. I ordered Ron's e-book a week or so ago and it's great...easy to understand and well illustrated. I have a feeling I'm going to be performing this trick a lot. The first guy I showed it to was in awe and he had no idea where to even begin in terms of figuring out how I did it. Hats off to Ron!
Thanks so much GWSchott. I love it when I find out others are getting good reactions from my the stuff I've released.

I mentioned this in the other discussion about this routine but I'll mention it here too. I originally released this to Café Members only at a special price. That will end today because tomorrow I'm releasing it on my site and the price will go up to $15. So if you've been thinking about getting the E-book and want to save that $5 you should pick it up today. Tomorrow the link from here on the Café won't work anymore and you'll have to go to my site to find it.

Thanks so much. I'm glad it's being so well received.

Ron Jaxon
I love the flipper half. Once you get comfortable with the handleing and flick,you can mix it up with real coins to really confuse the spectator. Everytime it becomes one, you can say things like,No, you weren't paying attention its over here .It really screws with peoples heads. I might have to get the gravity coin and give that one a try. Just carrying it around and fooling with these,really gets the creative juices flowing. Lots of fun.
Shortly after getting my Johnson flipper I swapped out the stock r***er b**d for one of lighter weight. The result? A flipper that opens easily without the need for any 'flicking' motion and one that lays flat without snapping shut. For me it works much, much better this way and is a thousand times easier to handle. The thing I like about the Johnson is that it's a nice combination of quality and price. It's the one I use when I'm working over hard ground, or doing a routine that could cause possible damage to the gimmick. Even though the $30 I paid for it wasn't cheap, it's cheap enough where I won't cry my eyes out if I drop it on the ground, which is exactly what I'd do if I ever dropped my Schoolcraft flipper!
Has anybody ever tried to do David Roths coins thru table using the flipper, instead of a folder ?,And if so how does it go over, any problems, I'm looking to do this in a bar type setting.
GG
I've seen a very nice flipper coin-trick by Joshua Jay where he let 3 coins disappear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9TITOoHwTM

"This capture was done 1966, after I received the Flipper Coin that Eddy Taytelbaum custommade for me, using an old Danish DKK 2."
I recently purchased a Lassen Triple Threat coin gaff and David Neighbors has kindly added me to a list to purchase the book by Mark Tams on the topic when it comes out. I recently also purchased and am awaiting the arrival of a Lassen Morgan Magnetic Gravity Flipper and am wondering if Mr. Tam’s book will contain instructions/routines for which the Magnetic Gravity Flipper can also be used? I would appreciate any suggestions of videos or dvd tutorials which I could access or purchase for my Magnetic Gravity Flipper. I am a relative newcomer to coin magic. Thank you.
Eric.
Hi Eric,
No I think it will be all 3 T. routines ! But I do Have a few Flipper coin routines In the 1 St . hard bound ! :)
Thanks Mr. Neighbors.
Eric.
Your Welcome ! :) And there will be A Few In the 2 Th. Vol. as well.
[quote]On May 23, 2019, erichoudini wrote:
I recently purchased a Lassen Triple Threat coin gaff and David Neighbors has kindly added me to a list to purchase the book by Mark Tams on the topic when it comes out. I recently also purchased and am awaiting the arrival of a Lassen Morgan Magnetic Gravity Flipper and am wondering if Mr. Tam’s book will contain instructions/routines for which the Magnetic Gravity Flipper can also be used? I would appreciate any suggestions of videos or dvd tutorials which I could access or purchase for my Magnetic Gravity Flipper. I am a relative newcomer to coin magic. Thank you.
Eric. [/quote]

Dean Dill (Flip It) and Craig Petty (Flipped Out) have DVDs that focus specifically on the flipper, and Eric Jones has a lot of work on it as well.
Thank you for the suggestions inigmntoya.
Eric.