(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Western?
I did a search and did not find this, but do you have a favorite western movie?....Mine are The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly....and just about all the Eastwood spaghetti westerns........
Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West" aka "C'era una volta il West" is an amazing work.
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. More recently, Unforgiven and Open Range were good movies.
Urban Cowboy, oh and Shakiest Gun In The West got to be on anyone's top 5 list.

Seriously though mine is Tombstone and The Long Riders (True Grit was pretty good too).

GlenD
The Searchers. Absolutely epic. The scene of the crazy guy on the rocking chair is still one of the best performances of mental impairment I've ever seen acted. (Love, joy, anger, grief, and insanity are tough to convincingly portray, IMO.)
Three Godfathers. Pure shmaltz, but with a rivetting (and wrenching) performance by the woman playing the dying mother.
Would 'Shane' count?.I also love 'Hombre' with Paul Newman
Blazing Saddles....especially the F**ting scene round the camp fire...CLASS !

Howard
D'oh, and I thought I'd be the first to list Blazing Saddles!

Hate to say it, but I don't really care for westerns too much, even the great classics that would be on the "Top 10 Westerns of All Time" list.

Blazing Saddles is fantastic though.

Kevin
Western is not a kind of movies I like particularly, anyway, if I have to choose, I prefer 40/50/60's classics, John Ford etc. Amongst them all, I loved "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" : John Wayne at his best, IMO.
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly... epic!
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
My nephew swears by Tombstone by far....
[quote]
On 2006-05-28 13:52, hkwiles wrote:
Blazing Saddles....especially the F**ting scene round the camp fire...CLASS !

Howard
[/quote]

Definitely! I also love "Where the white women at?" That movie defines funny.

Michael
Clint Eastwood should have won the best director Oscar for THE OUTLAW JOSE WALES; imo a much better film than THE UNFORGIVEN.
The Searchers is an amazingly good western.

I've always had a soft spot for the third Back To The Future film.
The cowboys! a film in whioch the star, Joh Wayne, actually takes a back seat role to the real stars, the boys.
Mine are 'Silverado', 'Tombstone', and 'Open Range', not necessarily in that order.
[quote]
On 2006-05-28 22:19, Cliffg37 wrote:
The cowboys! a film in whioch the star, Joh Wayne, actually takes a back seat role to the real stars, the boys.
[/quote]

And it's one of the few films in which Wayne dies. A bold move for a 'movie star' back in the day (even now, when you think of it).
'Sons of Katie Elder' with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Earl Holliman, George Kennedy, and Dennis Hopper is pretty good.
The Support your duo, Sheriff and Gunfighter. I like comedy in my westerns.
Not a movie, but Deadwood gets my vote. I'm addicted to that like crack. It has also greatly enriched my vocabulary. ;)
Wild west for me.
"Deadwood" is one of my favorites, too. Too bad Ricky Jay didn't get to show off anything on the series. I read recently that HBO is limiting the show to three seasons instead of the four that the creator originally envisioned -- that sucks..
I will be very saddened when it ends. Darn them for cutting off my fix.
My all time favorite western is My Name is Nobody cause I just love watching horses explode
It isn't a classic, and probably not that well-known, but I loved "Lightning Jack." This comedy is a western for people who don't like westerns. It's really funny and the acting is great!
"Lonesome Dove" starring Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Danny Glover, Angelica Houston (and a host of other good actors) is one of my alltime favorites. "The Shootist" with John Wayne and Ron Howard is also a favorite of mine. I'm a baby boomer and westerns on the boob tube and cinema where a part of my youth as I was growing up. Any movies starring John Wayne or Clint Eastwood are considered favorites with me.
:) KRaZy4KaRdZ :)
Lonesome Dove is my favorite western. It seems to be the most realistic of the bunch.
Iven :patty:
I love the Searchers as well. Classic! Also;

Unforgiven
The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Hang em High
High Plains Drifter
They call me Trinity
Trinity is Still My Name
The Wild Bunch
High Noon
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Shane
One Eyed Jacks
Pale Rider
The Shootist
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Hud
True Grit
The Magnificent Seven
The Frisco Kid
Jeremiah Johnson
Fist of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
My Darling Clementine
Rustlers Rhapsody
A Man Called Horse

There's a few to keep you busy!! Everyone of them a good film.
WOW Vandy!
Excellent list!

I forgot about "A Man Called Horse". powerful stuff there as I recall.
"The Magnificent Seven" was a favorite when I was a kid.
I have only liked one western in my life...and it was a TV show.
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Bruce Campbell is my hero.
Anyone else like this?
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2006-05-30 16:11, Jaz wrote:
WOW Vandy!
Excellent list!

I forgot about "A Man Called Horse". powerful stuff there as I recall.
[/quote]

Thanks, I love Westerns. Yes, a man called horse is a very good movie, and powerful. Especially when he takes his "Sun Vow" OUCH!!
LITTLE BIG MAN would also have to go on that often over-looked list.
I remember "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr."! I was pretty young at the time, so I don't know if I'd like it today, but I remember thinking it was pretty cool at the time.
I must admit I have a soft spot for westerns.

I only recently saw “The Searchers” and I agree, it’s one of the very best!

Wasn’t The Shootist Wayne’s last movie? If that’s the case, what a way to go!

High Noon & Shane is usually hailed as the best westerns ever, and Eastwood remade Shane as Pale Rider.

Jeremiah Johnson, Oh yes!

The Wild Bunch , my favourite Sam Peckinpah western!

Little Big Man is an epic!
And while we’re talking Indians (or is native Americans more PC?) what about Dances with wolves?

Lonesome Dove, another masterpiece.

Of course, Open Range and Unforgiven are both great.

The Long Riders, anyone?

Bjørn
How about the WORST western ever?

My vote? Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.
[quote]
On 2006-05-31 06:14, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
[/quote]
My vote is definitely for "Matalo !"( Kill him in spanish ), a Italian production : imagine a unwilling parody of Sergio Leone with no dialogues, unpleasant actors, nonsensical plot line. One of the worst movies I've ever seen, not only western.
[quote]

[/quote]

Paint Your Wagon.
[quote]
On 2006-05-31 08:53, Vandy Grift wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Paint Your Wagon.

[/quote]

WHAT! You didn't love an all-signing, all-dancing Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin? !!!

Worst western ever...Hmmm... The Quick and The Dead. Sharone Stone and Leonardo Decaprio try to out-pretty each other in the old west.
Oh Man, good call. The Quick and the Dead was Bruuuuuuuuutal!! Terrible, terrible movie.
[quote]Paint Your Wagon.
WHAT! You didn't love an all-singing, all-dancing Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin?![/quote]

I'm sorry, but Paint Your Wagon still makes me laugh my a** off! The bad singing by Eastwood just makes it funnier. And I thought Marvin's growling/singing fit his character perfectly.

Was Little Big Man mentioned by anyone? I loved that movie.
My two favs...The cowboys....Outlaw Jose wales...as a side not Clint Eastwood has NEVER killed an indian (native american if you are PC) in any of his films.

TGS
"Winchester '73" & "Shenandoah" with James Stewart.
"Tom Horn" & "Nevada Smith" with Steve McQueen.
"Geronimo" with Chuck Connors.

<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>>
[quote]
On 2006-05-31 13:08, thegreatsantani wrote:
My two favs...The cowboys....Outlaw Jose wales...as a side not Clint Eastwood has NEVER killed an indian (native american if you are PC) in any of his films.

TGS
[/quote]

But Clint did drop a bomb on huge spider in one for his first movies TARANTULA.
"Cat Ballou", with Lee Marvin winning an Oscar for playing 2 roles. At his acceptance speech, he said something like, "Somewhere, there is a horse who deserves half of this award."

"Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" is an acknowledged classic, and one of my favorites, but don't really think if fits into the "western" category as much as it does "musicals". I never think of it as a western.
"Cat Ballou" was a treat -- drunken cowboy trying to ride on drunk horse, what a classic scene!

In a similar vein, I have equally fond memories of "Paleface" and "Son of Paleface." Not sure if western parodies count, but submitted FWIW.
"Somewhere, there is a horse who deserves half of this award."

Lee Marvin must have been talking about that classic scene where the horse is slumped against the wall with it's legs crossed. Supposedly, horses can't cross their legs. But the trainer on the shoot got him to do it. The still shot from that scene is classic!

Vandy
[quote]
High Noon & Shane is usually hailed as the best westerns ever, and Eastwood remade Shane as Pale Rider.

[/quote]

A little movie trivia for you...High Noon is one of the few movies shot in "real time," i.e. the elapsed on-screen time is equal to the elapsed time viewing the movie. 63 minutes or so, if I recall correctly.
[quote]
On 2006-06-02 15:40, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

A little movie trivia for you...High Noon is one of the few movies shot in "real time," i.e. the elapsed on-screen time is equal to the elapsed time viewing the movie. 63 minutes or so, if I recall correctly.
[/quote]

Actually, the film takes place between 10:35 a.m. about 12:15 p.m.. It run time is 84 mins, slightly shorter than the 'real time'. I believe the last 60 mins are in real time.
Oops.
Common myth about the film. The only reason I know is it was my student's favorite film in China. They really loved the old, American west for some reason, but then, don't we all?
[quote]
On 2006-06-02 18:50, bitterman wrote:
They really loved the old, American west for some reason, but then, don't we all?
[/quote]

Yes, but then we don't have to live there...

Cat Ballou, I forgot about that one. Lee Marvin and his horse, both drunk as skunks, leaned up against the wall, a great and hilarious picture!
There is another scene from that movie that got me. Fonda's father lying dead in the coffin, beside the coffin is a candlestick with 7 lit candles. Marvin barges in, gloriously drunk, and someone says: "Sssh, can't you see what's happened?" And Marvin sings "Happy birthday to you" and blows out the candles...

Bjørn
[quote]
On 2006-05-30 16:13, gsidhe wrote:
I have only liked one western in my life...and it was a TV show.
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Bruce Campbell is my hero.
Anyone else like this?
Gwyd
[/quote]

I liked Brisco, but it jumped the shark far too soon.

My favorite westerns would be "Big Jake" with the Duke trying to deal with the 20th Century and the second one escapes me but it was released in 3D. Wayne ended up romancing a woman with a no-good husband who tries to ambush him.
I just saw Tommy Lee Jone's The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. Jones stars as a man whose mexican friend is shot by a border patrolman and so he kidnappeds the patrolman and forces him to return with the corpse to mexico.
I wondered what that was about!

"Hondo" that's the name of the Wayne western I couldn't think of before....and I can't believe no one has mention "How The West Was Won," a little over the top but a lot of fun
The best westerns (movies)in my humble opinion are:

1. Red River
2. Wild Bunch
3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
4. Rio Bravo

Best TV are:
1: Have gun will travel
2. Bonanza
[quote]
On 2006-05-30 02:37, JJDrew wrote:
It isn't a classic, and probably not that well-known, but I loved "Lightning Jack." This comedy is a western for people who don't like westerns. It's really funny and the acting is great!
[/quote]

How about "Dirty Dingus Magee"? Certainly not a classic but it could be consider a Western for people who hate Westerns!
I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer. I've always loved their campy Italian "My Name is Trinity", "Trinity is Still My Name" and "Troublemakers" westerns. These will forever remain at the top of my favorite western list. One of the great unsung comedy team greats, to be sure! I wonder if they're out on DVD. Haven't thought about them in years!

:) Skip
[quote]
On 2006-08-08 11:43, Skip Way wrote:
I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer. I've always loved their campy Italian "My Name is Trinity", "Trinity is Still My Name" and "Troublemakers" westerns. These will forever remain at the top of my favorite western list. One of the great unsung comedy team greats, to be sure! I wonder if they're out on DVD. Haven't thought about them in years!

[/quote]

Actually, I did mention them in my first post. Yep, they are out on DVD. I picked up a 3-disc set at Wal-Mart for about 5 bucks. "Boot Hill", "They call me Trinity" and "They Still Call Me Trinity".

Anyone remember the name of the Magician who did the hand inserts for the card game in They Still Call Me Trinity?
Why, so you did, Vandy! I completely overlooked it. Nice to know that there's at least one other Spencer/Hill fan in the lot!

What's not to like?!? The scene after the card game where Trinity continually slaps the card sharp and draws on him and slaps him some more and takes the card sharps gun and returns it and slaps him again is hilarious!

I also like the scenes where the boys go home and visit with Mom and Pop. The dinner scene is classic! Or Bud Spencer in the confessional. Great stuff.
Tony Binarelli was the 'owner' of hands ;)
[quote]
On 2006-08-08 13:58, galerius wrote:
Tony Binarelli was the 'owner' of hands ;)
[/quote]

That's right! Thank You Andrea.
If I had to choose one, I'd go with Vandy's list and settle for A Fistful of Dollars.
You're welcome, Vandy.
Btw me too I like those Trinity movies ( although I'm Italian I don't like particularly 'spaghetti' westerns, for many reasons, but those parodies are an exception ). They are not based on jokes or italian accents and the like ( as many other italian comedies ), so that also strangers can find them amusing.
All good choices guys...

I remember the oldie "Red Sun" (1972) ... starring (amongst others) Charles Bronson and Ursula Andress.
A western with a "spin on the ball".
An ancient Japanese sword is stolen from ambassadors on route.
The chase is on to return it. A great film.

wulfie
I had the pleasure of visiting the site of several of the old "Spaghetti" westerns while stationed on Sardegna. I love exploring ruins and historical sites. Tooling down a side road off of the main highway about halfway up the island I spot this clump of buildings out in the middle of nowhere. What I found was an abandoned American Western town left to seed. Some fire damage to several buildings. No real structure to the buildings. According to one of my local friends, this was one of the "towns" used for Italian westerns, including two Clint Eastwood westerns. I always meant to go back to the films and compare. Never have. I'll have to see if I can dig up those pictures and post them.
[quote]
On 2006-08-09 15:34, Skip Way wrote:
I had the pleasure of visiting the site of several of the old "Spaghetti" westerns while stationed on Sardegna.... this was one of the "towns" used for Italian westerns, including two Clint Eastwood westerns.
[/quote]
That's interesting, Skip, I didn't know...I knew some italian western locations were in Spain, others in the Latium country, but not in Sardinia. Well, you know that island better than me, who never was in there !
-------

And what about "The White Buffalo" ?
Unusual movie but an excellent one in my opinion...and very chilling : the Buffalo, brrrr ! A creation of our skilled Carlo Rambaldi.

I imagine, if this movie was released in the 50's, the trailer would have screamed "Soon on your screen, the most terrifying movie You ever saw !! Wild huntings !...Love !...Psychotic animals !!", lol
Galerius, Don't take that as gospel. This is what I was told by one of the locals who worked with me. He also told me that Eastwood and Fonda owned villas on the southern coast of the island. Don't know if that was true either. The abandoned "town" is in an area that is largely desert with small mountains and hills. As I said, I had once planned to compare the photos to the movies and never have. I'm still looking...we'll discover the truth together! :)

Skip
Ok Skip...now I'm curious me too !
[quote]
On 2006-08-08 11:43, Skip Way wrote:

[/quote]

Was "Trinity" the one that had the running gag of everyone explaining they were late to the rendevous because they thought a guy was following them? "Turned out he wasn't really following us, we was both just going the same way!"
Message: Posted by: Cholly, by golly! (Aug 13, 2006 02:23AM)
Has anyone mentioned BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID? Except for the B.J. Thomas interlude, it's a pretty good movie.

They may not be true "westerns" but I also like THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE and QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER.
[quote]
On 2006-08-13 03:23, Cholly, by golly! wrote:
THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE
[/quote]
Great movie, and when Bogart is alone in the desert, racked by remorses, scary too.
[quote]
On 2006-08-09 13:36, wulfiesmith wrote:
All good choices guys...

I remember the oldie "Red Sun" (1972) ... starring (amongst others) Charles Bronson and Ursula Andress.
A western with a "spin on the ball".
An ancient Japanese sword is stolen from ambassadors on route.
The chase is on to return it. A great film.

wulfie
[/quote]

If you like Westerns with "spin," consider "The Posse" with Kirk Douglas and Bruce Dern.
Hm, Quigley was a good one -- largely due to Alan Rickman's finely played antagonist to Selleck's spot-on archetypal turn as a cowboy.

Not sure if it qualifies as a "Western" per se, but I was in Best Buy over the week-end and picked up a neglected gem on DVD: "Emperor of the North" with Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine. Yeah, it misses the classic cowboy era by about 35 years or so, but with its brutal conflict between a repressive and sadistic authority figure and a live-free-or-die hobo, all set on a steam train heading West, maybe we can stretch the genre a bit, eh? Anyway, worth a look-see.

Leland
I love Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid...great movie
The Outlaw Josey Whales.
My favorite is " Once Upon A Time In The West". Outstanding movie with a great musical score. I've loved that one for over 30 years.