(Close Window)
Topic: Black's Magic PK Ring
Does anyone own one of these from Black's Magic Shop?

Are you happy with it's appearance and POWER?

I,m looking for reviews from actual buyers of this.
I can't find Black's Magic Shop on the Web, but I imagine the one they're selling is the same as the one everyone else is selling: the Wizard PK Ring.

The Wizard is a ring made completely out of neodymium. There is no stronger magnet made. I find it works great for many tricks, but thanks to the laws of physics (specifically, the inverse square law) its range is limited to about 2 inches for a shimmed coin, and maybe 3 inches for a shimmed card. You won't be able to lift a Chevy with it from 20 feet away, if that's what you're looking for. :)

As with all bare magnet gimmicks, you have to watch out for talking - if you pick up a metal object and it hits the ring, you'll hear a loud 'click'.

As far as appearance goes, it looks great. I've got the 'silver' one, which is the natural magnet color, and I wear it everywhere. It looks like a normal brushed metal ring. I've heard from the gold ring owners that theirs look like a normal wedding ring.

Hit the searchbox above with 'Wizard PK Ring' for more.

Hope this helps.
This is their website Airship....

http://www.blacksmagicshop.com/
Hmmmm... no photos, but I see they list FOUR styles: nickel, silver, gold, and onyx. The Wizard PK Ring is only available in two styles, I think: silver and gold. You can check it out at the Wizard web site: http://www.wizardpkring.co.uk/

Wizard originated the PK ring. I hope that makes a difference to you in which ring you buy.

Also, no other ring can be STRONGER than the Wizard PK Ring, since it's pure neodymium, and that is the strongest commercial magnet on the market.

By the way, I'm not affiliated with Wizard, but I do like the ring I bought from them.
MagicMan1957,
Airship is correct, although the statement "no other ring can be STRONGER than the Wizard PK Ring, since it's pure neodymium, and that is the strongest commercial magnet on the market," should not lead you to assume that this is an all powerful magnet. It is strong enough to hold a shimmed coin, zippo lighter and similar, not-too-heavy items, but is fairly limited in terms of actual strength. It is a bit "talky" depending on what you use it for but this can be remedied with the help of some tape or other padding. I have the gold one and like it quite a bit, although I do wish it was stronger and a bit slimmer. I did recently see an ad by the folks at World Magic, the true inventors of this ring, (these are the same guys that Airship is referring to) stating that they will soon introduce a second style of PK ring which will, in fact, be slimmer AND 25% more powerful than their original ring. I'll likely buy that one too.

Black's magic shop does offer what I believe to be a knock off version at a lower price, so the choice is up to you, but I (like Airship) prefer to support the originators even at a higher price for several reasons.
1. I want to encourage the inventors and innovators and make it worth their while to continue along their path of innovation and invention in the future.
2. The folks at World Magic devoutly stand behind their product and offer world class customer service.

I'm not affiliated with any of the guys at World Magic. I am simply one in a long line of satisfied customers.

Best of luck!
Not sure how they're going to offer slimmer AND more powerful, unless there's now a new rare earth magnet stronger than neodymium. If so, from what little I understand about the topic, it's likely that a stronger magnet may also be more brittle and prone to breakage. It'll be interesting to see...
Apparently it is slimmer, but a little thicker. I've seen a few folks complain about their original ring being brittle and breaking, but I haven't had any issues with mine (of course, unlike them, I haven't dropped mine... yet). From what I've heard, the folks at World Magic are very good about assisting with the replacement of broken rings.
You guys keep mentioning this company originating the magnetic ring, but Subterfuge was released a while before this ring and the Omega ring has been around for years. The concept of a magnetic ring is far from new.
That's exactly why I'm not too concerned about anyone "ripping off" another over a simple ring. As Blacks Magic states, their product has been around longer than the ones marketed to magicians, just sold to a different clientele.

Sometimes it's good to have choices.
Sorry if it came across that I was giving them credit for the idea of the magnetic ring. I know that this is not the case. I was simply giving them credit for this particular version, the Wizard PK ring. Even so, I agree that it is good to have choices (I even said so in my orignal, though admittedly opinionated, post).

Best regards!
I must admit, this does sound (and look) good. James, how does a current PK Wizard owner go about obtaining a sample?
Personally I think the Subterfuge Magic System is far superior to any other magnetic rings, but there are endless threads on this debate
Just one more observation - the Black's rings come in sizes 8-12, including half sizes, while the Wizard comes in only three - 19mm, 21mm, or 23mm. However, the Wizard's 23mm I own is, I believe, equivalent to about size 14, so the Black's just isn't an option for a big guy like me. I've got to admit they look good, though. :)
LOL! Dang Airship; you have some steak fingers don't you. :) Okay, the thing is it costs me a lot to tool them up for the next size. We've had requests. So, let me get with my designers and see what I can do. MIGHT happen. No promises, but I will give it a shot. Okay?

Daniel: maybe so but I can't go that route. For what it is made to do, our PK ring does well.

MagiGuy: Simple. Email me at the site (j clark AT blacks magic shop . com) and remind me of this post. We will send you one out. You have to pay shipping charges. If you want it, we will charge your card. If not, send it back and no harm no foul. Fair enough?

Cheers,

James
Actually, that is TOO fair. I'll tell you what... how about if I just flat out buy one knowing that I can return it if I don't like it? Hmmm... this may be the start of a beautiful relationship. :)
I am fine either way MagiGuy. Your call. Stop by blacksmagicshop.com and make the order. I will send it out and, if you want, you can indeed return it. Make sure you get the right size; wouldn't want you to pay for shipping again if not needed if you do want to keep it.

James

PS - LOVE Seattle. Lived in Scotland for many years; similar rain patterns. ha ha
Rain? What rain? :)

Thanks James!
LOL/ No problem. Customer service is important to me as one of the owners. I've never quite understood the magic community's thoughs on that: if you buy it that's it. I mean seriously, what are the odds that everyone is out to screw you over??? Worst case is a few people try to rip off ideas, secrets, etc by sending them back to us. But a ring? Or device of some kind? Come on. For the most part we will accept any returns simply because I hate the fact that someone might have spent hard-earned money on something they find out they not only do not like but can't use for an act; it just may not fit in. That is also why I am happy to send rings out. We keep a credit card on file "just in case" but so far everyone we sent it to has wanted the ring. Ours are better; it is that simple. ;-)
OK, I HAVE TO GET INVOLVED here , I have a small magic shop here in Orlando FL, and Sell BOTH rings The PK WIZARD AND THE BLACKS MAGIC, I can honestly tell you that the BLACKS RING IS BY FAR THE BETTER RING...PERIOD, I HAVE HAD CUSTOMERS COME BACK AND PRACTLY BEG ME TO PLEASE TAKE THE WIZARD RING BACK AFTER THEY FOUND OUT THAT A "FRIEND OF THERE'S" HAD BOUGHT THE BLACKS RING FROM US.I certenly have been thinking to sell only one ring after the inital stock runs out. They Look more like real Wedding Bands, There rounded on the outer surface and are just a better looking ring, and you have a CHOICE of 5 different styles, but I don't really like the Onyx Type so I do not stock them.
I have been using the Blacks Ring Myself BEFORE the Wizard Ring Came Out, OH and B.T.Y Has Any one else noticed that the Wizard ring is only Magnitic on the Sides(very thin) north and south Poles? And the Blacks Ring is Magnetic on the complete surface or is THIS AND ILLUSSION created due to the roundness of the surface of the ring? I have to agree with Dave Van Vranken and Jeff Corn here on the "Been Around Before the Wizard Ring" as I stated eirler I was USING A Blacks Ring BEFORE the Wizard Came out. As for Customer Satisfaction CALL THEM UP !! Talk to Troy and JClark You will NOT get BETTER SERVICE ANYWHERE ELSE. I have had only Great Experences with Them Personaly.There More then Happy to take ANYTHING Back and Just Replace it. Just My Thought's on this. :)
Here's my 2 cents. I have both. The Blacks is better. Looks more like a real ring. They both have excellent magnetic qualities, but the Blacks looks more natural for sure! I also appreciate the 1/2 sizes. Ultimately it is a matter of personal preference - these are both excellent products... but I'll be using the Blacks and the PK Ring is gonna end up sitting in the bottom of a drawer. I need a ring that doesn't attract attention, and the Blacks ring fills that requirement nicely (just looks like a regular wedding band)...very cool.

sd
The debate over "originality" is a bit silly, in my mind, because the concept of magnetic rings has been around for a long time. So for me it comes down to issues of style, power and performance. What meets your needs?

I wasn't planning on getting one, but I keep running into situations where I could use one...not only for magnetic effects...but to do Pinnacle with rubberbands. Like "Airship", my fingers are a bit beefy. My ringsize has been 10 1/2 forever...until now it's 11 1/2. I'd sort of like a ring that is easy to put on and off. No, I don't want it to fall off my finger...but I'd like it to be easy to remove.

I'm just a little worried about the top size being a 12. Seems like I'm cutting it a little close on that. So I sure hope they come up with one a bit larger. I think the curved edge design is far better looking and less obvious.

Power is another non-concern to me. While a minimum amount of force is necessary, I don't plan on moving imported cars or bars of steel with this thing. A shimmed coin/card...that sort of thing. I suspect either will do. My grandmother's arthritis ring she's had for years would work...although it won't even fit on the tip on my pinky.

I'd like to know if there is an update on the possibility of larger sizes so I can join the mayhem.

BooRadley
Great posts; nice for people to chime in. My regrets for not staying on here, I am away with the US Army preparing for deployement and our book tests have been keeping me pretty busy when I do have extra time. Yes, we ARE getting bigger sizes. Have the 12s and I think we are going up to 14s. Will let you know.

Sal: Thanks for the kind words. Troy and I do our very best; we are far from perfect, but we will do all we can to help you out.

Warm regards,

James
James, I pm'd you with 2 questions if you don't mind answering. Thanks. Tom
Another note: I recently started taking a new medication that has apparently changed the PH of my skin, because my Wizard PK Ring has now turned my finger green! Needless to say, I am no longer wearing it every day.

Does the Black's ring have a coating that would prevent this?
Is Black's ring magnetically stronger than the PK ring? I see the PK ring now is out with the band style with 25 percent more magnet strength. Does anyone know if Black's is just as strong as the new band style PK ring?
Just back...

Airship: Oddly enough, we are working on that now. No complaints re this problem, but we wanted to be preventative just in case. We are trying two kinds -- a clear coat and teflon. As we are on the verge of signing a large deal, I wanted to make sure the coatings are protected, etc.

Tbaer: PMd you, but I can't say for sure; we do not stock the Wizard. All I know is this, EVERYONE who has both likes ours better. That isn't fluff, that is a fact. We have countless emails to this effect. At the end of the day, if you do not like it, you can return it. ;-)

James

Posted: Jul 2, 2006 9:38am
----------------------------------------
BooRadley,

No, you will not be able to move cars with the ring as you noted, but they are strong enough to do some nice effects. The only way to know is to play with one. Since we are not money hungry and know some people will not feel it works for them (so far nobody has returned one) you can send it back if you like.

JC
Blacks Magic shop has been making these rings for several years. But they have been used in other applications. Magnetic therapy any one. Blacks rings are sleeker, THey look like a ring a normal person would wear. Unfortunatly, I cant get one for my finger though. Because Blacks magic and PK Wizard don't have rings that are a size 16.
I got a PM or email about the possibility of a larger size...not size 16 mind you, but a larger size...like a 12.5 or 13 which would likely work well for me. I've held off ordering hoping that this was/is a possibility. I don't see it on the website...

Let me know...I'm anxious to join in the fun!

BooRadley
Sizes 13 and 14 on the way!
They've been made, just have to get them in now.
Will keep you informed. 16, holy sh$t man. If the demand is there, I will get them done. That simple.
James
Hey, thanks james. I have an abnormally large hand. So I cant be mad that they don't come in my size. I work at the US Toy magic shop in Kansas. Our manager called about a demo I think. I almost called back to find out the possibilities of a large ring.
I have the new PK rings, I had two of the old wide style, the medium was a fraction too tight on my wedding band finger, and the larger a fraction too big but wearable, so I didn't really wear the one I kept (larger old style) for long periods, I ordered two of the new style recently, and found the slimmer version in medium a much better fit, almost perfect, now I am a medium new style as opposed to old style large.

The width of the rings really does make a difference in comfort, the new style large seems huge to wear compared to old style although actually same size, its the width, it does make a difference, if your have sausage fingers, try the new style largest size!

I have swapped and changed on numerous occasions, and the guys in the UK at Wizard have been totally helpful, messed my orders up a few times with chosen colours etc, but always resolved to my satisfaction.

We got there in the end.

I would love to try the Black rings, but as the sizing is obviously a problem with this type of product, I'm gonna give it a miss unless there is a UK supplier as the postage would be horrendous if I had to change the item to find a correct fit a few times.

And unless its considerably stronger, then the new style Wizard rings, of which I have three now in same size gold, will keep me going for a while.

Airship, as for the PH of your skin, if for some reason your ring is turning your finger green, simply use a coating of clear nail varnish on the inside of the ring, this gives it a protective layer, that you will have to top up on occasion but does the trick.

MC
MC, I've heard about the nail polish trick, but being a single straight guy, I actually don't have any on hand; I didn't think to keep any after my wife died, though I did remember to keep some nail polish remover. Still, I suppose it's useful for lots of things, right? Too bad they don't sell it at the hardware store. :)

I'd order the new bigger Black's ring right away, but I have another ring sizing problem right now, one that I've hoped to have for a long time - I'm actually losing weight! I recently went on the new diabetes drug Byetta, and it has the happy side effect of suppressing appetite and enabling weight loss. I've lost 30 lbs. in just 6 weeks, and I have a friend who has lost 100 lbs. in 3 months! He's calculated if his losses keep going at this rate, he'll weigh 26 lbs. by Christmas. So I'll probably have to wait until next year sometime to see what size I end up. And since I'll have to replace my whole wardrobe (yes!!) a PK ring will have to come last on the list. But that's a good thing!
Airship: Congrats man! That is great news...

Here's the deal, get one of ours when you can. FOR LIFE, you can send it back for a new size so long as you pay shipping. Keep losing that weight; that is fantastic brother.

Heck, you get down enough and I will send you one for FREE!

James
http://www.blacksmagicshop.com
Let us know when the larger sizes arrive. I just checked the website and the 12 is still the largest size listed. Thanks for the responsive action. It's appreciated.

I'll try and lose some weight like airship!

BooRadley
Hi James,
I've pm-ed you and waiting for your reply
Maps
Good news... we just coated them all! We just got the first shipment in; can't even tell but we are confident (not that it was even needed) that the wear will be reduced because of it. Just an update.
Okay, we will be adding the larger sizes soon; they passed customs, so we are just waiting on them. DANG it took a long time.
Which ring should I buy for charles gaucis bodylanguage .
I recently picked up BM's ring and have been using it with great results. Having bought the gold colored ring, it really does look like a wedding band and as James says, "not a piece of pipe cut off". I have really been happy with my purchase and after reading the postings here and James' lifetime warranty and return policy, I know I have made the right choice. By the way, for what it's worth, I purchased it from Steven's and I respect Joe's opinions for steering me in the right direction for this purchase. By the way Wally, either of these rings will work great for CG's Body Language. I just prefrer the look of a natural wedding band and the comfort of wearing the ring that BM's afford.

Snidini
Would you believe it, for once this year we have had some nice warm and sticky weather here in the UK, and guess what, my finger turned green wearing the PK new style gold ring!

Gonna try out my own tip of the clear nail polish, its an old trick, but I'm now interested in the Blacks rings, I want something I can wear all the time, and have a backup as "best" for when performing.

It took me ages to find the correct size with old and new style rings and the guys at Wizard PK Rings in the UK were more than Helpful, the wizard rings fit differently depending on which you buy because of the widths of the designs of each, I wore an old style large perfectly but in the new style, I am a Medium and the large is massive on my fingers.

Can anyone advise me which size I need if a Medium New Style Wizard fits correctly?

Please advise, I don't mind buying from the US, but if it becomes a swapping routine, it could become very costly in carriage.

Cheers

MC
Mindcontroller, I think the medium size is around an 11-12. I don't have the new PK style ring, but I do have the first PK ring that came out and the medium size was about a size or two, too big, so I returned it for the small size. My ring size is a 10.

Snidini, I took your advice and just ordered a Black's magnetic ring from Stevens Magic Emporium.
Tbaer, keep us posted with your thoughts about your new purchase when you receive it. I don't think you'll be dissapointed and it's uses are endless.

Snidini
Hi Folks

I have recently purchased the Wizard PK ring and I must say that I am very pleased with it and cannot praise the team at 'World Magic Shop' enough for their excellent service. I needed to exchange mine a couple of times due to size issues and it wasn't a problem a new one was sent at every request no questions asked - excellent A1 service (a rarity these days). I am interested in the Blacks ring as well though, and if there was a UK supplier I would purchase one. Unfortunately as previous posters have said it could become an expensive purchase sending incorrect sizes back and forth to the States, so I shall stick with my Wizard PK and wait for someone to ship a load over from Blacks.

Regards to all

Merlz
I have had my BLACK'S ring for only a few weeks and I have to say it is great!!

I was origionally looking for a nice coin in bottle routine and had purchased Abyss a while ago and was not fussy with the handling.

The BLACK'S ring makes it so simple and takes away a few of the funny moves that I did not like. I have been performing the coin in bottle with this ring every chance I get and it always gets a great reaction!

I unfortunately connot compare it to the wizards pk ring as I have never owned one, but I love my BLACK's so much, I don't even think I need to spend the money to try and compare them
Once I get Black's ring, I'll post a comparison/differences between the 2 types of rings.
Mine arrived... broken. Now I get to pay to pack/ ship it back. I also received the wrong size.

I'd heard about using the ring to perform a 'shadow coin' type effect, but the ring isn't nearly strong enough to move the coin from a reasonable distance. Any ideas?

Derek Merdinyan
Anyone who owns the Black's PK Ring have you been able to use it for a "Chop Cup" routine using a paper cup ? Is it strong enough to hold on to a shimmed ball (a regular crocheted chop cup ball or an impromptu wadded up napkin with a paperclip inside or something like that ? ) The ungimmicked paper cup version of the Chop Cup was one of the original ideas that sold the Omega Ring when it first came out .
Can the Black's PK Ring do this sort of thing ?
I should be receiving mine any day now.
Hi David,

Yes, the Black's Magic Ring can definitely work for a Chop Cup routine using a paper cup and a crocheted chop cup ball. I tested it using my ring and the only Chop Cup move you probably won't be able to do is where you slide your hand with the ring, down and off the cup taking the shimmed ball with it as you show the cup is really empty with the other hand. The magnet isn't strong enough to get it over the lip of the cup without the ball falling off.

As a side note, I pretty impressed with the Black's Magic Ring. They have sizes available in half sizes so you can actually get a ring that fits your finger, and the silver version I have looks like a real wedding band. And the price is right.

I've got a PK Wizard (new style) coming and I plan to compare the strength of it against the Black's ring along side the new Omega style ring and also my trusty old MasteRing from years ago. I'll post back the results soon.

Cheers!

** Bill **

[quote]
On 2006-08-20 21:33, David Todd wrote:
Anyone who owns the Black's PK Ring have you been able to use it for a "Chop Cup" routine using a paper cup ? Is it strong enough to hold on to a shimmed ball (a regular crocheted chop cup ball or an impromptu wadded up napkin with a paperclip inside or something like that ? ) The ungimmicked paper cup version of the Chop Cup was one of the original ideas that sold the Omega Ring when it first came out .
Can the Black's PK Ring do this sort of thing ?
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2006-08-23 13:59, Lhotta wrote:
Yes, the Black's Magic Ring can definitely work for a Chop Cup routine using a paper cup and a crocheted chop cup ball.

Cheers!

** Bill **
[/quote]

Bill,

Thanks for the info. on the Black's PK ring. I actually had an opportunity to speak with a friend who has one after I had posted my inquiry and he answered in the affirmative , basically saying what you said , so I ordered it later that night after I posted my question on this forum. It came today (!) a mere two days after I ordered it. Great shipping service from Black's Magic ! The ring looks really good , a very close match for my normal wedding band , which I had hoped for based on the photos of the Black's ring I had seen on the internet . It seems quite strong enough for the "ungimmicked" Chop Cup with paper cup and I'm looking forward to trying it out with other effects.

I have a general question about storage and usage , re: the powerful magnetic field around the ring . I know that in general it is necessary to keep credit cards and other magnetic media away from a powerful magnet , but does anyone know what the "safe" range is for the Black's PK Ring ? Obviously , I shouldn't pick up a credit card or cassette tape in the same hand that is wearing the PK Ring , but how far away is safe enough ? Are we talking 1 ft. away ? 2ft. ? or more ?

I'm curious how you guys who own one store it in your prop case between shows ?
Lhotta, when you post the comparisons of strength with Black's against the new style PK wizard, can you let us know how the new style PK wizard looks on your finger. I should be receiving my Blacks in the mail tomorrow or Friday. I already have the PK wizard old style which is wider than a normal wedding ring.
Sure no problem, I'll post a link in this thread to the comparison thread I plan to start when I receive the PK Wizard (new style band).

Cheers!

** Bill **

[quote]
On 2006-08-23 21:14, tbaer wrote:
Lhotta, when you post the comparisons of strength with Black's against the new style PK wizard, can you let us know how the new style PK wizard looks on your finger. I should be receiving my Blacks in the mail tomorrow or Friday. I already have the PK wizard old style which is wider than a normal wedding ring.
[/quote]
Hi David,

That's a good question, and I would guess the safe distance would be related to the strength of the magnet. A cursory search on the web shows many different recommended "safe distances". The weaker magnets seem to have a safe distance of 3-5 inches while the stronger neodymium rare earth magnets have safe distances of 20-30 inches.

You could always take your favorite ATM card and do a test with your Black's ring. Just head down to an ATM, verify your card is working, and then start with a distance of 30" and slowly decrease this distance a couple of inches at a time until your card no longer works! Of course you will need to get a replacement ATM card but it would be an interesting experiment!

I would also caution you if your ATM card deactivates at 4 inches it would not be safe to assume other magnetic media (computer disks, etc) would be safe at this distance as they may be more sensitive, but at least it would give you a general ball park.

Cheers!

** Bill **

[quote]
On 2006-08-23 20:37, David Todd wrote:

... I have a general question about storage and usage , re: the powerful magnetic field around the ring . I know that in general it is necessary to keep credit cards and other magnetic media away from a powerful magnet , but does anyone know what the "safe" range is for the Black's PK Ring ? Obviously , I shouldn't pick up a credit card or cassette tape in the same hand that is wearing the PK Ring , but how far away is safe enough ? Are we talking 1 ft. away ? 2ft. ? or more ?

[/quote]
Just got my "Blacks" ring from Stevens Magic... I like this soooo much more than my PK Wizard. Works just as good and looks (and feels) far better.
Rick
Just received my Black's ring from Stevens Magic Emporium. I found both Black's and the PK Wizard to be about equal in strength. If one is actually stronger than the other, I couldn't tell.

The only difference to me is in the looks. Black's definitely is the better looking ring.

Unfortunately when comparing strength's, my Black's broke in half. So as far as durability, I would have to say the Wizard ring wins unless I got a bad ring. Did anyone elses break? I am going to call Steven Magic Emporium and see if I can get a replacement.

I had the Black's on a stronger magnet, when I pulled it off the magnet, half of the ring stayed on the magnet.
DerekMerdinyan: Did you get it from us? We never charge if it breaks in transit, which is rare but has happened (I think) twice.

tbaer: There is no question that the Wizard PK ring's shape (flat) allows for this kind of field, but this is the first time I've heard of it breaking like that. Very strange. Out of thousands sold, there are bound to be bad apples, so to speak. It is too bad that it broke, but it is an N40 so that can happen I suppose. My guess is that it may have been fractured in transit; if they are not packaged right or if they get slammed, they will indeed break. Let me know how the replacement thing works out with Stevens. If you get no joy, let me know and I will take care of it for you. That's a promise!

James

Posted: Aug 28, 2006 1:20pm
------------------------------------------
[b]Sizes, sizes, sizes[/b]

We are now tooling up to size 16!

Right now we have up to 14 in stock...

James
[quote]
On 2006-08-28 13:18, jclark wrote:
DerekMerdinyan: Did you get it from us? We never charge if it breaks in transit, which is rare but has happened (I think) twice.

tbaer: There is no question that the Wizard PK ring's shape (flat) allows for this kind of field, but this is the first time I've heard of it breaking like that. Very strange. Out of thousands sold, there are bound to be bad apples, so to speak. It is too bad that it broke, but it is an N40 so that can happen I suppose. My guess is that it may have been fractured in transit; if they are not packaged right or if they get slammed, they will indeed break. Let me know how the replacement thing works out with Stevens. If you get no joy, let me know and I will take care of it for you. That's a promise!

James
[/quote]
James, thanks for the generous offer. That tells me you really stand behind your product. Stevens Magic Emporium said they will replace it. I just recently mailed it back to them, so I probably won't receive the replacement for a few days. Tom
No problem! Let me know how it comes out.
James
[quote]
On 2006-08-30 18:54, jclark wrote:
No problem! Let me know how it comes out.
James
[/quote]

ok
[quote]
On 2006-08-24 09:29, Lhotta wrote:

That's a good question, and I would guess the safe distance would be related to the strength of the magnet. A cursory search on the web shows many different recommended "safe distances". The weaker magnets seem to have a safe distance of 3-5 inches while the stronger neodymium rare earth magnets have safe distances of 20-30 inches.

You could always take your favorite ATM card and do a test with your Black's ring. Just head down to an ATM, verify your card is working, and then start with a distance of 30" and slowly decrease this distance a couple of inches at a time until your card no longer works! Of course you will need to get a replacement ATM card but it would be an interesting experiment!

[/quote]

OK, so I tried my little ATM card experiment with an old Visa card I was about to retire and here are the results.

My Black's Ring had absolutely no effect on the credit card until I directly rubbed it against the magnetic strip. Even then, although the card did not work outside at the gas pump, it did work when I brought it inside the store and the clerk swiped it there.

Even at only half an inch away from the magnetic strip the ring seemed to have no negative effects on my credit card and it still worked at the gas pump without a problem.

While this was no formal test, it does show we may not have to be as overly cautious as was first thought. Trying to maintain a distance of 20"-30" at all times is not practical and probably not necessary.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Forgot to reply that things are all good with the ring now. I got it replaced even though I purchased the ring through a different dealer. I may have to send it back for yet another resizing so I can wear it on my ring finger instead of the index finger, but I've already posted a video on my Youtube account using the ring.

Derek Merdinyan
[quote]
On 2006-06-05 15:59, airship wrote:
Not sure how they're going to offer slimmer AND more powerful, unless there's now a new rare earth magnet stronger than neodymium. If so, from what little I understand about the topic, it's likely that a stronger magnet may also be more brittle and prone to breakage. It'll be interesting to see...
[/quote]

Here is something I found out about magnets that maybe we will see coming.

"The attraction of a neodymium-iron-boron magnet is so strong that when the magnets touch each other they may chip or cause a small bruise if your fingers are caught."

As promised here is a review of the strength of the Black's Magic Ring compared against the PK Wizard Ring (New Style) and the new Vortex PK Pro Ring.

Click [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=178611&forum=4#0]here[/url]

Cheers!

** Bill **
Excellent!! Bill, thank you! I have an old style Wizard PK ring and just don't care for the look of it. I was very curious about the Black's ring and am very grateful to you for investing the time and funds to acquire one of each and provide the side-by-side comparison. Well done!
Lhotta: great review. I feel it was honest and well done. Sorry we never got back to you. No real excuse other than the fact our servers have had problems. I assure you, we take customer service very seriously -- so sorry for that.
I am having trouble getting the black magic site to load.

I am really interested in this one now. It was the design of the ring that put me over. I like the look.

I was going to go for the Expert Magic Ring, but the guy who sells them seemes to have disappeared.
Sites are funny that way. They reported having server issues yesterday, so they're probably right in the middle of a rebuild/reinstall.

Try PM'ing jclark here or simply calling Black's Magic at 877-877-7878
I had tried to order my ring last week and wasn't able to get past the credit card authentication. I emailed them and that evening I had a response. The next day I called them up and a fellow named Troy took my order. That was a Weds or Thurs night. Monday morning I had my ring. Great customer service, very satisfied customer. Def give them a call if you're having trouble with the site.
It's up na dworking now it seems.

I'm just checkuing with my local shop first to see if they're gonna be selling them.

I am also interested in cap trap now. It says that the bottle is not prepped? So I assume no need to put the cap in in advance?
Bill, Excellent Review! I liked the way you went about practically judging the various rings along with a side-by-side comparison. That's the way a group of similar products should be reviewed. Congratulations & well-done!

I have made my own PK Ring. One can increase/ decrease the power (magnetic intensity) of the ring (may I say 'At WILL' :) ). Itís a simple looking prop made in 22 karat gold. A ring worn on each hand does wonders. Itís a perfect replacement for many known effects needing strong/ weak magnet(s). Just for info!

Best regards,

:xmas:
Any comments on which color looks best? (I know it is probably personal, but just want some comments).
I wouldn't wear anything but the gold.
I prefer white gold.
Well, we have silver, which looks, well, like silver... lol. AND we have Chrome, which resembles white gold. It isn't a dead ringer, but it will look just fine. Or so we have been told by those who wear white gold. Remember, you can try before you buy with us. Happy to help you out.

James
[quote]
On 2006-09-22 17:37, meyegr wrote:
Any comments on which color looks best? (I know it is probably personal, but just want some comments).

[/quote]

Either the chrome or the silver. Both look great, you will not be disappointed.

BTW-this is referring the the Black's Magic product
[quote]
On 2006-09-22 17:37, meyegr wrote:
Any comments on which color looks best?...
[/quote]
This may seem like overkill to many of you, however I own all three.

Should I happen to (unbelievably) lose or break one I will always have a back up. Also, as I own several watches and my attire varies from gig to gig, I always have a ring color that looks best.

To be more specific to the question I prefer the silver one and it is the color that I use and wear most of the time.
I just want to share something with you Cafť members. I had ordered a Black's magnet ring from Stevens Magic Emporium last month. The ring broke so I sent it back. Stevens Magic Emporium sent me a replacement in August but because of the faulty post office, it just arrived today, almost a month later.

I had emailed James Clark a few days ago before I received the replacement because he read my prior post and wanted to know how I made out and if there was anything he could do. At that time, he offered to send me a free replacement ring, no questions asked and I didn't even order the ring through him directly.

Now that's great, great customer service standing by your product. I just wanted to publicly share that with you all.

And for you James, a public thank you.

Tom
Wow! I read that and thought, "Who is he talking about... I want to buy magic stuff from them." HA HA. Seriously, Tom, thanks. You know, we don't do customer service for reviews, but it sure is nice to see them now and then. Cheers!

James
Black's Magic
877-877-7878
Any harm with wearing these things all of the time? A website hawking the Kevin Trudeau says to wear the magnetic rings only at night while you are sleeping.

From the physics that I took in school I learned it's not really the magnetic field that does the harm, but it's the changing magnetic field that causes the change. Having a magnet in contact with the credit card strip, in itself should not be a problem. However moving the magic near the strip could cause problems. Not sure how much you need before this is a problem though.
Didn't myth busters do an experiment with the magnet and a credit card, finding you needed an extrodinarily strong field to wipe it?

However, it seems that magnetic punch cards at work aren't so resilient
Has anyone else experienced a green ring around your finger when you take the ring off? I got my ring from Blacks last weekend & it has been great except for I wore it out today & when I came home & took it off........there was a green ring around my finger.
Yes, I have found it tends to be diet related. Largely when I am dehydrated. Can't explain it, but I found when I eat well--it doesn't happen. When I eat fast food, it does. That is just me though. I also know of at leat three diabetics that had the same problem... it has to do with the magnet field and how your body reacts to it.. but I also tried coating the inside with clear nail polish and it seemed to help to so there may be an aspect of the electroplating. Frankly, I have no idea. Read an article on magnets pulling impurities out of the body; strange stuff. LOL

James
Black's Magic
James,
I think you're right about the electroplating. This is typical of "cheap" gold rings. Nothing against you, I love mine. I noticed a minor tendency to discolor but it doesn't bother me in the least as I only wear it when performing. Since anything but pure 24K gold is an alloy, it depends on what other metals are alloyed with it. The more cheap filler they use, the more profit for them. I read somewhere that it might be copper that causes the discoloration. A higher quality alloy (a.k.a higher cost) should solve the problem.

People's reaction to it differ, and for now I'll go with your diet explanation. I've also noticed sweaty hands tend to turn green faster.

If you're worried about it for future jobs, you might want to talk to your plating company about it.
Another satisfied customer from Blacks Magic here. I received my ring yesterday. I got the gold one to match my wedding band. It looks great, just like my wedding ring, so nobody will be suspicious. Also the stories you hear about the wonderful customer service are true. The communication is excellent,and they make sure they get it right.
[quote]
On 2006-06-06 13:18, airship wrote:
Just one more observation - the Black's rings come in sizes 8-12, including half sizes, while the Wizard comes in only three - 19mm, 21mm, or 23mm. However, the Wizard's 23mm I own is, I believe, equivalent to about size 14, so the Black's just isn't an option for a big guy like me. I've got to admit they look good, though. :)
[/quote]

I have heard that the Black's PK rings are soon to be out in sizes up to 16. ...Or maybe it was 18. I have a 12. They come in half-sizes. The Wizard ring is a washer type magnet that is marketed as a ring. I find them bulky and not very convincing as a ring. That is not the case with the Black's ring. They are not magnets being sold as rings. They are rings being manufactured with magnets. The Black's rings look so good that they are absolutely above suspicion. I find the Black's rings to be a far greater product than the Wizard rings. Not only is the price right and the ring more comfortable and ring-like...you just can't beat the guarantee. If it breaks, they replace it. If you gain weight and can't get it on...they replace it. If you lose weight and it falls off...they replace it.

In my opinion, (and that opinion is shared by everyone I know who has a Black's ring...including those who also have a Wizard ring), you just can't beat the Black's ring.
I've never heard of these rings, what are the possible effects that can be done wearing one of these rings? Can someone give me some examples please?
[quote]
On 2006-10-04 23:34, Ichazod wrote:
Has anyone else experienced a green ring around your finger when you take the ring off? I got my ring from Blacks last weekend & it has been great except for I wore it out today & when I came home & took it off........there was a green ring around my finger.

[/quote]

I just recently developed this problem, was wearing it everyday and a green ring showed up around my finger. I don't wear it anymore unless I'm using it in an effect, will google around to see if I can find anything else. Kinda freaky.
http://www.neotexx.de/xaranshop_k001011s001_1.htm

and go down to: Ring abgerundet

8,46 EUR

WOW!!!

I will order some rings!!
CharlieC

I have the same problem, your body reacts to the nickle in the ring. Coat the inside of the ring with clear nail polish. This will stop the contact with the skin and sweat.

Tony
Great suggestion, Tony. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, every once in a while I have the same issue. And we have tried to come up with ways to "fix" it, but it is all about how your body reacts to it. Like I said in a previous post it seems to effect me when my diet is poor and I am more dehydrated. When I clean up my diet and drink a lot more water it doesn't happen. It may just be me. But Tony is right: coat it with nail polish and it stops (or at the very least reduces it). We coated the last batch with teflon and it appears to have helped a little more to. If anyone has this problem and decides they do not want to keep the ring, just call me and I will refund your purchase. 1-877-877-7878. James
[quote]
On 2006-10-14 17:58, Skitch wrote:
I've never heard of these rings, what are the possible effects that can be done wearing one of these rings? Can someone give me some examples please?
[/quote]

The limits of your imagination is the only limit to what can be performed with these rings. It is a great utility item that no close-up magician should be without.
I orderd and received the wrong size ring and I'm a liitle nervous about sending it back (it really is a great ring). Has anyone had a problem with returns? I really like this ring and I've heard some people say that they had some trouble getting their ring back. Anyone have a problem?
[quote]
On 2006-12-06 11:52, theoriginalman wrote:
I orderd and received the wrong size ring and I'm a liitle nervous about sending it back (it really is a great ring). Has anyone had a problem with returns? I really like this ring and I've heard some people say that they had some trouble getting their ring back. Anyone have a problem?
[/quote]
I can't imagine anyone ever having a problem with Black's Magic when it comes to customer service. Let not your heart be troubled and send it back with confidence that it'll come back. Just call ahead of time and see for yourself how great they are at taking care of you.
So far my experience with Black's Magic has been great. Ordered one ring and liked it so much I ordered another in a different finish. There was a problem with my billing info and someone called right away to resolve the issue. Great customer service.
I've been wearing mine full-time for a couple of months now, and I love it. It took me awhile to learn not to have it stick to things all the time, but now it's second nature. And when you wear it all the time you get inspired to try new things with it. Mine is gold, and it's beautiful.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Dec 7, 2006 04:40PM)
A rare magical bargain!

This is a very high quality product.
No, it has not played havoc with my credit cards,
yes, it is strong for the size.

It looks just like any other band to a spectator.
It is durable, it is attractive, it works.
What else can one ask for?

Magically,
Walt
Great... now I can't wait to receive mine.... Thanks for pouring pure oil on the blaze of eagerness in my hearth! :D

I bought it alongside Prohibition. That should be fun to play with!
So where can you get one of these rings? Does anyone distribute them in the UK, or can the only be purchased from Blacks?

I found the http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/ website, but can't find a product page (that works)..

Thanks
Penguin Magic sells them, but their Euro site seems to have some problems. You can order it from Penguin U.S. and they can ship it.
Bananafish... what do you mean you couldn't find a page that works? That's not good! LOL. Man, I wonder if our site was down.

http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/products/rings.html

JC
I tried that link and the page is no longer available. Are the rings discontinued?
Message: Posted by: Illusion & Beyond (Dec 15, 2009 11:04AM)
Same here. Link does not work.
The site says

"Phase one of the new website is complete. It focuses on the content management system we've built and the cart system. We're now in Phase Two"

They must be going through a re-org. Maybe the ring will become available when that is complete.
Check out supermagnetman.com they have dirt cheap rings that look and work GREAT