(Close Window)
Topic: Search Magic
Hey,

Im making a new website for magicians, and am hoping for your input.

It occured to me that there are loads and loads of different magic reviews everywhere over the web, and that it would be much more useful if there was a site where :

- All the reviews to be in one place (e.g. all the reviews for an effect can be searched for on one site, and it will bring up a page of relevant reviews)

- On the same page, a product description, and any known demo videos.

- On the same page, a list of known suppliers and their prices.

- Also listing reviews of the suppliers with one click, and displaying a star rating of the supplier.

A feature I am also adding is a tie-in idea from gomagicgo, which lists if they have been nominated for "hype of the week".

Here is a quick look at the site so far :

[img]http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/2640/searchmagic0ix.png[/img]

The website is still several weeks from completion, and I was just wondering what your feelings were towards any other features that should be added, or indeed, about what you think about the website idea in general.
I think the website is a great idea!

I don't know how feasible this is but...maybe you could have a "Other tricks you might enjoy" or "Tricks like this" kind of how netflix suggests movies with similar actors or directors or themes? You could have similar effects or creators! Just a thought.

-Eric D.
Have you considered the legal ramifications of what you are proposing? For example, if you put up a review of a dealer based upon one person's opinion of that dealer, and the person who has submitted the review has lied or substantially misrepresented the dealer, you may be in for legal trouble.

Also, if you put up a link to a review of a trick that is completely false, that is, it misrepresents the trick or the method, again, you may have legal problems.

Do not just add links to other people's web sites without asking them. It is rude, and it can cost them money. Some web sites have a limit of downloadable bandwidth. This means that if you hit on someone's web site and look at all the pages, you have just downloaded his entire web site, whether you have saved it or not. If a link from your site causes his site to exceed its bandwidth, he would be within his rights to ask you to chip in for extra bandwidth.
[quote]
On 2006-06-18 13:51, Eric Dittelman wrote:
I think the website is a great idea!

I don't know how feasible this is but...maybe you could have a "Other tricks you might enjoy" or "Tricks like this" kind of how netflix suggests movies with similar actors or directors or themes? You could have similar effects or creators! Just a thought.

-Eric D.
[/quote]Thanks :D I can try to add that feature, its just a case of being able to generate similar tricks. I have defintely considered doing this before, and it would be worthwhile having, but it may be a feature to add at a later date because I think it would be pretty hard to make :P

[quote]
On 2006-06-18 14:00, Bill Palmer wrote:
Have you considered the legal ramifications of what you are proposing? For example, if you put up a review of a dealer based upon one person's opinion of that dealer, and the person who has submitted the review has lied or substantially misrepresented the dealer, you may be in for legal trouble.

Also, if you put up a link to a review of a trick that is completely false, that is, it misrepresents the trick or the method, again, you may have legal problems.

Do not just add links to other people's web sites without asking them. It is rude, and it can cost them money. Some web sites have a limit of downloadable bandwidth. This means that if you hit on someone's web site and look at all the pages, you have just downloaded his entire web site, whether you have saved it or not. If a link from your site causes his site to exceed its bandwidth, he would be within his rights to ask you to chip in for extra bandwidth.[/quote]
Don't worry, I have it covered. Anything that is untrue will obviously be removed as soon as possible, and a disclaimer will be displayed. However, I cannot see any legal problems arising - no more than that of a conventional forum such as this. As you mention "If you put up a review of a dealer...", I will not put them up individually, I will list my own personal opinion if I have delt with them, and there will be a form which will allow people to instantly add their own dealer review to the page.

In the review of a trick, because it is completely opinion based, you pretty much cannot have legal problems. Someone could come along and say that NFW has some pretty bad angle restrictions, and gets a suprisingly bad reaction from the audience, as he may genuinely feel this way. Its an opinion, and you cannot be sued for having a particular opinion about a product, and telling people about your opinion.

Also note that I will have a disclaimer at the bottom of all the pages, to cover legally for things like this.

Also, I am firstly assuming that dealers WANT to be linked to to (hopefully) persue greater profit. Other than dealers websites I probably won't be linking to any others.

Besides, if you are talking about the spider, it can only search consenting websites (i.e. opt in) because of the way my system works, dealers would have to insert <!--price--> tags around the price of the item for it to work, otherwise it is extremely likely to come out with wrong prices. It also runs off a predefined list of pages, it dosen't just start scanning the whole web :P Plus it will (once I have built it) follow robots.txt. Also, for the dealers, it shouldn't represent a great amount of bandwidth, as I am not downloading the images, video's e.c.t.

And no, if a link from my site causes another site to exceed its bandwidth, there would be no legal problem whatsoever, unless this was a direct attack on the servers. I would NOT in any way be obliged to pay him bandwidth fees, unless you had leeched the bandwidth from his website.

If we would want to mess with semantics, you could however argue that he COULD ask you to chip in for extra bandwidth, but as far as I am aware there would be no legal reasons stating that you have to :P

Thanks for your input anyway though, if I am wrong about this [b]please correct me[/b] (I usually am wrong about this type of thing :P), but as far as I am aware there shouldn't be many legal problems with this.