(Close Window)
Topic: Lots of sponge balls
I did a quick bit of searching and didn't turn up anything. Still I appologize if this is a repeat post.

I've been working on a sponge ball routine that climaxes with a lot of sponge balls appearing in the spectator's hand (at least a dozen).

I've seen Eugene Burger do this successfully with 24 1" balls (that's where I got the idea). Right now I can steal the balls from my pocket quite comfortably, but I'm worried about the spectator being able to close their hand around that many balls so that they're hidden.

I was wondering if anyone has done this in performance and has any advice. In particular, do you leave out some of the balls when the person has small hands? Did you start small (10 or 12) and then work your way up to a large number? Do you do something special with the balls that makes it easier to compress them in the hand?

Thanks in advance
James
One thing that is important is the words. While handing the spectator the multiple amount of balls say, "put this one in you hand." Don't say, "hold this" or "put this on your." I always put a little presure on the outside of the spectators fingers, helping close their hand.

Just becaus Eugene uses 24 does not mean you should use the same amount. Be yourself. Use what ever makes you comfortable.

Try searching for a video/DVD for more tips. Goshman has a good video. Patrick Paige's is good also.
Patrick Page's video is good, but does not feature any multiple ball ending routines.

I have wanted to end with this climax as well, for a while. I have experimented a little bit on my own, and have managed to load about eight balls into a child's hand during a kid's show. The balls I used were a variety of colors and 1-2" in size. I used super soft sponge balls.

While I was able to pull it off and the reaction was incredible, I was not happy with the overall results. My load of the balls was a bit awkward and forced. The kid's hand was small, and I would have rather done all 1" balls. Stealing the bunch of balls from my pocket was not as smooth as I would have liked either.

Also, while the reaction was GREAT, it did result in every kid in the audience lunging for the balls as they popped out of the volunteer's hand. Took a minute to get each ball back from each child!

I have multiple booklets, videos, and books, that are either specific to sponge work, or have sponge ball routines in them somewhere - yet I still have not found a source that has any info on the multiple ball ending. I'll be curious to see some more replies on this thread.
The earliest version of this sort of thing was Dr. Jaks' Multiball. Later, Tenyo released "Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits." If you cnn find the Multiball manuscript, it will give you more insight than you could imagine.

Use 1/2 inch balls.
I use the small tiny sponge balls -- I guess they are <= 1/2 inch. I also load them with two larger sponge balls
Don't worry about trying to get all the balls into the spec's hand. The key finesse is to use a different spectator for the multiload. That is, the first spec already knows what the balls feel like, so the multiload will feel different. If you choose a different spec for the final load, then the difference won't be noticed.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jun 20, 2006 04:02PM)
You can pinch through the sides and tear the centers, this makes them squishier.

BTW my spellcheck allowed squishier.
Dick Stoner has a great routine on one of his videos. I've performed it for years!

He used 20 - 2" super soft sponges for adult audiences. I found it difficult to make the steal as smoothly as I liked, with that many of that size. I load 12 - 1 1/2" super softs and that works great, even in a child's hand. I wouldn't have a toddler help out, for a variety of reasons, though.
Where can I get 2 bags of fifty? I am working on a similar ending...

Comedy Writer
I think I heard Frank Starsini gets his in bags of 50. Either you can get some from him, or maybe he can suggest a source.
David Groves has a routine called Sponge Balls A Million that climaxes with a bunch of sponge balls in the spectator's hands. I've never performed the routine but have seen it done and it is a really nice routine with a great climax.
I've always felt under pressure whenever I do a multi-ball load, but I found it helped me to do it at the end of a "how many balls are in your hand?" routine where you load two (or three) balls and, of course, there's a different number each time. I don't actually know if it made a difference, but I always felt more comfortable knowing that they expected at least two balls in the hand - they're less likely to open it prematurely and it's harder to judge what "pressure" they should be feeling.
Having said that, I actually prefer to have them change colour whenever I do it nowadays - it seems to make more sense in the routine, and I don't get so stressed!
Chris
For a bag of 50 or so beleave it or not I see then on ebay a lot for cheap.
As for the kids lunging for the ball, I saw the Dick Stoner routine (terrific!) and he takes into account where the hand is opened. I don't want to tip his method, but if you use your imagination, you can weave into the routine a receptical over which the hand is opened.

Flimnar
Yep. I get mine by the bag of 50. If you need a special deal, let me know?
[quote]
On 2006-06-18 11:07, Jameson wrote:
I did a quick bit of searching and didn't turn up anything. Still I appologize if this is a repeat post.

I've been working on a sponge ball routine that climaxes with a lot of sponge balls appearing in the spectator's hand (at least a dozen).

I've seen Eugene Burger do this successfully with 24 1" balls (that's where I got the idea). Right now I can steal the balls from my pocket quite comfortably, but I'm worried about the spectator being able to close their hand around that many balls so that they're hidden.

I was wondering if anyone has done this in performance and has any advice. In particular, do you leave out some of the balls when the person has small hands? Did you start small (10 or 12) and then work your way up to a large number? Do you do something special with the balls that makes it easier to compress them in the hand?

Thanks in advance
James
[/quote]

Gee, what kind of sponges are we talking about here? He can put 24 sponges in someones hand without them noticing? They can actually fit all those in their hands? What size are they? Is there something special here, or is it as it seems? I have never heard of this before.
Yes- Eugene Burger does a routine where it ends with 24 sponge balls in the spectator's hand. He does not use the super soft sponges since they can lose theor shape quickly.
I believe Eugene uses 1" sponge balls.

If you've seen your buddy with 4 in their hand and now you get 24 1-inch ones in your hands, you could very well think you just have 4 of the larger ones.
On 2006-07-24 21:16, Cory Gallupe wrote:

[quote]
Gee, what kind of sponges are we talking about here? He can put 24 sponges in someones hand without them noticing? They can actually fit all those in their hands? What size are they? Is there something special here, or is it as it seems? I have never heard of this before.
[/quote]

I just posted this in the Secret Sessions. It may help to explain a lot.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=171648&forum=37&0
Ok, I see. Thanks.
I think Goshman puts out a package of 25 red balls. Various dealers have them or can get them for you.
I know that he used to. Steve Dacri's baby bunnies in 3D are excellent for this as well.
Steven Bargatze does a wonderful routine that ends with bunches of balls in the spectator's hand. He uses a fishing net, and does a 5 min comedy routine that kills.

One of the few routines that I would love to steal if I could ever bring myself that low. ;)

Scott
I also wanted to mention Stephen Bargatze's routine also (I believe it is in his lecture notes). It is funny, however, he embarrasses the kids a little. However, it always gets a great reaction when all those balls jump out of the kid's hand into the fishing net.

Gene
[quote]
On 2006-08-17 09:28, Compton wrote:
Steven Bargatze does a wonderful routine that ends with bunches of balls in the spectator's hand. He uses a fishing net, and does a 5 min comedy routine that kills.

One of the few routines that I would love to steal if I could ever bring myself that low. ;)

Scott
[/quote]
Stephen said, in his lecture, that he learned the routine from Dick Stoner. But, since I perform the Stoner routine, I can tell you that Stephen made some changes.
I believe Kenton Knepper has a sponge ball routine that ends with many balls in the spectators hand on one of his tapes.
The set of Stephen's lecture notes that I have doesn't have the sponge ball routine in it. He did teach it at a lecture I attended at Winter Carnival of Magic in 2005.

Alan, is Dick Stoner's routine anywhere in print? I went to his website but couldn't determine where it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Compton