(Close Window)
Topic: Rocky?
I hear a lot about Rocky the Racoon. Does anyone use him? If so, how do you use him? I saw Rocky used once by a magician on the stage (at least I think that's what it was). It didn't go over well...those kids can grab at that thing pretty fast!

-Brad
Sammy Smith, Dan Garret, Jim Pace all have books and or videos with Rocky. I am working on a script from Sammy Smith with a zigzag to end. The zigzag is not in Sammy's book; it is just an ending. I find most routines (IE rabbit in the hat, Rocky, or any other puppet) to have weak endings. I want my routines to end big other than "Ok everyone! Time for him to go, say bye". My Rabbit in Hat routine seems to work well. He fails and fails trick after trick, then at the end does a great card trick that even blows me away. The routine ends with the puppet getting it right. With Rocky, he comes out to do the zigzag but is scared and all the time he tries to get out of it. Then finally he goes in and does the effect. This routine builds to a climax. Like I said, I have found most puppet routines have no climax. Please let me know if anyone has one.
I use Rocky in my shows as though I was making him appear and/or disappear as a real animal. The kids all want to pet rocky and I let them if they have been good (which most times they have been) and then I tell them "He can bite so be very careful". This gets the respect of the annoying child wanting to punch or grab at him. I don't bring him out for long but just long enough so they think they have seen a live animal at their show. I sometimes perform for an older crowd; I get him to perform mini- illusions just as someone would with a large illusion using a real person.
Here in New Zealand kids have never seen a real raccoon, we don't have them here. So I have localized Rocky by getting him re-skinned with a possum skin. He is now Poppy the Possum. [url=http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/May2000/img/possum.jpg][b](Possums are marsupial native to Australia & are a common local pest)[/b][/url]. They are nocturnal so most children will have only seen them at night, adding to their mystery. It is nice to be able to use a local animal.
Andy you should look into the possum from axtell he looks great.
That american opossum is a totally different looking animal.
I use Rocky in all my shows. I have him play with the children and then I tell the children he is going to do a magic trick. They now have a box where you put Rocky in it and cut him in two. There are two blades that go through him. It is real neat.
I got the box through Daytona Magic.
Hi,

If anyone is interested in the Zig Zag Raccoon offered by Daytona at $200.00, get it here from the originator, my friend, Roy Roth (RAR MAGIC), for 62.00 ($90.00).

http://www.rarmagic.com/online/

(go to page 2 of comedy magic)

Phillip :spinningcoin:
I've used Rocky in almost all my shows since the mid 80's. It took me awhile to develop a good ending for his main routine, where he jumps thru a hoop and lands in a net. Just as I was writing my first book "Balloons on the Mailbox", I came up with a great finish. On his first attempt to jump thru the hoop, he lands on the hoop and sits there. Of course, I don't notice (I'm holding the hoop & Rocky above my head in my left hand). As I'm looking for Rocky, the kids of course are telling me where he is. I let them yell for a bit, then I realize what they are saying and start to look up at the hoop. As my head is turning, Rocky falls down into the net. When I see the hoop, Rocky's not there. Now the kids go nuts and soon have to be scraped off the ceiling. When I do eventually find him, I have all the kids cheer and clap for Rocky's great trick. It works very well!
Your book is good.
The hoop idea sounds like a david williamson thingy.
I love Rocky He is one of the staples of my show