(Close Window)
Topic: Jay Sankey's Immaculate Deceptions Lecture Notes
For those who receive his newsletter, you might know that he recently released his 2006 lecture notes as a free download to his newsletter subscribers. Although it looks like there is a link to the notes on his site so you might be able to download them even if you aren't a subscriber. Apparently these notes will be free until July 14th.

Anyway, the material is pretty good. It's certainly varied. Some effects are close up but a few are stage or parlour material. Out of the ten effects in the notes, only four are card effects. The rest use various objects and there is one coin effect:

Highlights are:

Shadowlands: A silhoutte effect where your hand grows two extra fingers.

Haven't tried it but I could see this playing really well.

Bit By Bit: A signature on the back of a card rises to the top of the deck a little bit at a time.

This is a clever alternative to the typical ambitous card routine. I might play around with this a bit.

Almost Human Cannon Ball: The spectator signs the wrapper of a drinking straw. The wrapper is wadded up and stuck into the end of the straw. The wadded wrapper is lit. It bursts into flames and appears in your other hand.

Cute restaurant effect. Typical simple and clear Sankey thinking.

Hypersensitive: The magician is able to divine the dates of three borrowed coins. This is a nice effect.

This was a free trick of the month a few months back in his newsletter. I didn't pay much attention to it then but upon re-reading it, it might be something to try.

Transfusion: A double backed card is examined and placed on the table. Two cards are selected and signed. The double backer is then split in half, revealing the two signed selections.

Okay, if I had paid for these notes, this would have been worth the price. This is a great effect. My favorite one in the notes. Then again, I love cards so it might not be everyone's cup of tea. It is slightly knacky but once you get it down, you should have a showstopper on your hands.

Chocolate Bar Prediction: A strong kid's show effect. The magician displays a candy bar that is wrapped in gift wrap. A clear bag filled with different candy wrappers is introduced and the birthday boy or girl is asked to reach in and grab one. The wrapper they grab winds up matching the candy bar in the gift wrap. You probably know how this one is done just reading the description. But it's a nice presentation.

Those were my personal favorites. All in all, some nice effects. A generous gift from Jay.
Sounds great! His work is very creative and gets better reactions then most think. I'll definitely be checking this out. Thanks for the info.

Cody
Jay has also advertised this in the July 06 issue of Magic. You can download it from http://www.sankeymagic.com for free until through July 31st.

I just read the manuscript. I like the effect "Transfusion." From what I read, it sounded like a reversal of Doc Eason's "Anniversary Waltz."

Another one that sounds great for restaraunts is "Diamond's in the rough."
The download was super lighting fast. Immaculate Deceptions is very well written in Jay Sankey's high energy style. I do like the effects "Transfusion," "Bit By Bit," and "The Chocolate Bar Prediction."

Have anyone seen Jay's The Art of Sleight-Of-Hand DVD out yet? This DVD includes Jay's classic "Locomotion" and "Private Property" 2 killer rountins.
I think it's coming out in August. Looks to be very good.
Hi folks,

Any information how much is the ebook costs?

Thanks!

Andrew
[quote]
On 2006-07-04 22:05, Andrew Loh wrote:
Hi folks,

Any information how much is the ebook costs?

Thanks!

Andrew
[/quote]

It's free
It's 20 bucks after 7/31. Now, it's FREE !
His site is terrible; especially if you have a dial up connection at home. My computer is relatively new, but I still had to download new software and restart to even view the site. Then after waiting minutes for the site to load, it became almost impossible to download the notes. I actually gave up on getting something for free. If I was there to buy something, I imagine that I would have just gone elsewhere after a few minutes. I really like Jay’s magic, but IMO a site like that is a very bad business decision.
Wow, I just downloaded it.
Great stuff. And it's free!
Yes, I agree that his site uses too much animation.
Although it flashy, it's not very user friendly.
[quote]
On 2006-07-04 23:12, ElliottB wrote:
His site is terrible; especially if you have a dial up connection at home.

[/quote]

Well, if you view his site on another computer with a faster connection, it is actually a wonderful website. I enjoy it.

Brian
As one might expect, Jay also advertised the free lecture notes in The Linking Ring as well.

the entire link is: http://www.sankeymagic.com/free notes

It is available free until 7/31/06. It is a PDF file, downloading is instantaneous...save it or print it as you see fit.

thank you Jay.
Sorry about the link above, there is no space in free notes

try this: http://www.sankeymagic.com/freenotes
He says that he's including 2 bonus effects as an extra so there are actually twelve effects, not ten. But I haven't reveived them. Anyone else get the extra effects or is he emailing them separately?
[quote]
On 2006-07-06 18:38, magicHart wrote:
Sorry about the link above, there is no space in free notes

try this: http://www.sankeymagic.com/freenotes
[/quote]

Now THAT'S more like it!! A good old fashioned web page. It looks like Jay came through for me after all. Thanks so much for the link.

Elliott
How did you guys download these notes? I filled in the info and clicked the Download button and nothing happens.
It should download instantly.
It downloaded ok for me.....But I had to use Adobe Reader 7.0 to see it...
I'm having trouble with it, too. I'm wondering if it has something to do with cookie blocking or level of security setting??? IN my case, whenever I hit the magic button, my computer wants to send an error message to Microsoft and then it closes down my Explorer.
Thanks guys. I solved my problem and was able to download the notes.
Seems Acrobat Reader 7.0 didn't work because I also had 5.0 installed as well. I just deleted / uninstalled 5.0 and I was able to download.
So problem was mine, not the Sankey site.
RC4MAG
Thanks for posting...I had a 3.0 version in addition to the 7.0. Once removed, all downloaded just fine.
Nicholas
I agree the notes are great there is some awesome material :D
But what about those extra effects...
You had to be one of the first 500 to download to get the two bonuses. Those must have gone fast!

See ya!
Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Acually, Jay said in his last newsletter that he was releasing the extra effects to everyone who purchased the notes. So my question is, where are they?
Does anyone know when his tour starts??
[quote]
On 2006-07-17 10:22, cfrancis wrote:
Acually, Jay said in his last newsletter that he was releasing the extra effects to everyone who purchased the notes. So my question is, where are they?
[/quote]

Ah, okay. The ad in Linking Ring said the bonuses were limited to the first 500 downloads. Anyway, free is good!
Joe L.
I like the notes, too. Some good material inside.

Magixx
@cfrancis

The two bonus effects, originally meant to be offered to the first 500 downloaders, were included in the notes themselves.
Ah. I thought there were going to be ten effects and two bonus effects, making a total of twelve effects. I thought there were only ten items in the notes.
Nevermind. I just counted the effects. There are twelve. Thanks for the heads up :)
I think all tricks should be offered for free first. Then, charge whatever you want. Who's with me!?!?
It works fine for me. Maybe you should consider getting a high-speed connection. To be honest, I didn't think anybody actually dialed-in to the internet anymore. I can't imagine trying to browse ANY web site with that kind of speed much less try to download something.

[quote]
On 2006-07-04 23:12, ElliottB wrote:
His site is terrible; especially if you have a dial up connection at home. My computer is relatively new, but I still had to download new software and restart to even view the site. Then after waiting minutes for the site to load, it became almost impossible to download the notes. I actually gave up on getting something for free. If I was there to buy something, I imagine that I would have just gone elsewhere after a few minutes. I really like Jay’s magic, but IMO a site like that is a very bad business decision.

[/quote]
I downloaded the notes, and I love them. My favourite routine out of all of them has go to be The Almost Human Cannon Ball... so clever, even though I am not allowed to perform it yet! I am only 13, and I am not allowed to use flash paper yet!