(Close Window)
Topic: How is everyone surviving the heat wave?
How is everyone surviving the heat wave?

My air conditioning works, but it is a strain to keep it running 24/7.

Dai Bato
114 degrees today baby! I spent the day sweltering in the heat helping people, cuz I'm a giver.
Steve V
Hard-won advice: get a programmable electronic thermostat, and some plain old fans.

Very soon you become attuned to your daily habits as they relate to the temperature - I know I'm always napping in front of the TV at a certain time and a box fan in front of me will do just fine (I get chilly, actually) or I'm usually downstairs working where it's cooler at a certain time so I can set the thermostat to let the a/c rest a bit during those hours - and it costs a lot less to have a fan blowing generous amounts of air as close as you please.

That assumes, of course, that you have a fairly tight house where the humidity doesn't creep in.

I may not live in the desert, but here in DC the summer wet heat is only good if you're a lizard.
"114 degrees today baby!"

Oh...my god. And I think I have it bad when its 90. that's insane!

James
Had eight outside shows this weekend in full mediaeval attire. Not too bad as it only got up to 98 or so, which is really hot for these parts. Humidity was bad on Saturday but managable today. Suppose to cool off to the mid eighties this week so were doing fine. It helps to live right next to an immense body of water that stays below 50 degrees year round. Keeps the tempeture fairly temperate whilst the rest of the country cooks.
Perfect timing Dai! My central air was out early Saturday morning and was just repaired a couple of hours ago. So hot there was no such thing as flipping the pillow over to the cooler side - just HOT all around!
Speaking from Las Vegas, what heat wave? All we have are normal temperatures around here.
We are having what we over here call a heat wave..fortunately not as unbearable as you guys..high 80s into 90s... if we are lucky. ME ? I just get my shorts on a get out in it!!

Howard
Way too hot(but my ferret suffers the most), I wanted to start Busking this summer but I'll have to wait a bit for the weather to cool down and for people to get out of their homes...
Its hot in europe too...
Oddly enough, Orlando has been nice for this time of year. In 90's humid, but the same as normal.
I took my family to visit some friends with a swimming pool to escape the nearly 100 degree weather here. Sadly the water in the pool was still 90 degrees.
Well, I will tell you. I have been to Florida a few times before, and yes, its hot, but not HORRIBLE. But, at the IBM convention in Miami this year, it was just too much. Miami, in the summer, no trees, no escape. It was torture. During the convention it wasnt that bad. We were in a nice air conditioned hotel, and sometimes you could even wear pants. (Only when I had to though.) But, when we were gone to amusement parks. It was pure torture. Just way too hot for comfort. We had to leave half way through the day in Universal because it was just horrible. Luckily our hotel was about 10 minutes away, so we could go swimming, and relax for a while, then we went back. But I'm telling you, it was very uncomfortable. But, when we landed back in Nova Scotia, (We could tell we were there because it started to get foggy...) It was nice. After weeks in the sun, it was nice, cold, and rainy. And still is! (Good ole NS weather.)
Although, now I'm kinda hopeing for some more sun. I wanna have my birthday soon, and we want to go out on our new tube and boat.
Almost everywhere in the Bay Area has triple digit weather. It's really hot at my house, we've been going to a lot of movies just to escape the heat.
It cooled down around here the past couple of days...highs in the mid-90's. Last week, well, I'm just thankful I wasn't still working at the asphalt plant!

Margarette
Ended up doing 3 outside shows in 106 degree weather. The people who hired us said we would have a tent. We get there and guess what? No tent. So as a result, I actually suffered minor heat stroke for the 1st time in my life! Next time, if any client does not adhere to the contract, I walk. Especially when it puts health issues at risk.

Live and learn...

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
All of us in the Bay Area are suffering!!! Send money!
Steve V
Yep, it's been about 105-110 for the past few days here in the bay area. My power just came back on...it went out at 9:30 pm last night, and just came back on today at 12:00pm! I guess we are lucky though, because the PG&E help line said they wouldn't even have an update on the situation for us until tuesday. It would have been torture to be without power for 2 days.
It has been bad here in Portland as well. It reached 108 the other day. And through the weekend, it stayed at around 102-105.
It's a good thing that global warming thing is just 'bad science'.

Welcome to the future, folks.
The weather just broke here today. Overcast and in the seventies just like it's supposed to be.
We had the same weather patterns for years, when it is 106 in December I'll blame global warming.
Steve V
[quote]
On 2006-07-24 16:03, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Ended up doing 3 outside shows in 106 degree weather. The people who hired us said we would have a tent. We get there and guess what? No tent. So as a result, I actually suffered minor heat stroke for the 1st time in my life! Next time, if any client does not adhere to the contract, I walk. Especially when it puts health issues at risk.

Live and learn...

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
[/quote]
I always throw an EZ-up sun shelter in with my gear for summer outdoor gigs....Just in case of such an occurance. Takes all of three minutes to set up, you can do the gig, and you stay cool.
Just a thought.
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2006-07-24 17:06, chajodawg wrote:
It would have been torture to be without power for 2 days.
[/quote]

How about 6 days??? Home has been without power here in St. Louis since last Wednesday. Still out, though they keep saying that most everyone's should be restored sometime today. I'll believe it when I see it. I am fortunate that my work has power, but my wife is a teacher and out for the summer, so she has no where really to go, especially since we have pets that aren't allowed in motels and such. I suppose that we are fortunate it is no longer triple digit weather, but it's still in the 90's, and when you reach 6 days without power, 10 degrees doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.

-B
I was at an SF Symphony concert last Thursday and the power went out right in the middle of the performance. Luckily it was inbetween pieces, but it had never happened before.
[quote]
On 2006-07-25 16:41, Brandon Delgado wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-07-24 17:06, chajodawg wrote:
It would have been torture to be without power for 2 days.
[/quote]

How about 6 days??? Home has been without power here in St. Louis since last Wednesday. [/quote]

Yes, I was reading about that in the news the other day. Somewhere in the area of 430,000 people were without power at one point? How have you been coping with it? Luckily we have family close-by whose power did not go out. We were able to stay there a while and keep our food preserved, but I imagine a huge chunk of your state must be without power. Well, hope you guys out there start getting it back soon.
The hottest so far this week has been 117 - Ouch! Today was 114. A very dry heat, like an oven. I swear I saw a bird drop out of the sky...the Oregon coast looks better and better says I. :smoke:
In Wisconsin we swim in lakes. and get central air. And if were too poor for central air, we go to our niebors, the Bar.
[quote]
On 2006-07-26 00:10, chajodawg wrote:

Yes, I was reading about that in the news the other day. Somewhere in the area of 430,000 people were without power at one point? How have you been coping with it? Luckily we have family close-by whose power did not go out. We were able to stay there a while and keep our food preserved, but I imagine a huge chunk of your state must be without power. Well, hope you guys out there start getting it back soon.
[/quote]

Been pretty tough the last couple of days. Still without power at the moment, but I think help is on the way soon. There were apparently a couple guys out in our neighborhood earlier today, so fingers are crossed. Ameren UE has said that at one point, as many as 600,000 were without power. Kind of a double whammy for us as we were the hardest hit by the storm, and now we're one of the few areas still without power. We were able to leave for the weekend to go to my in-laws' house in the Ozarks, and were hoping that the power would be restored by the time we returned, but no luck. We've been sleeping in our basement as it is slightly cooler down there, especially for the first few nights, though not so much anymore. If the power isn't restored in our neighborhood today, we'll likely be dropping our dogs off at the Humane Society overnight so they can have AC. We might be going to a motel tonight as well. Hopefully, that's all we'll need and the power will return soon.

-B
Wow, I couldn't imagine not having power for more than a night in this heat. The A/C froze up at our house last week, but at least we had some fans to move the air around. It makes me sweat just thinking about going without my precious a/c and fans. This week isn't too bad in Tennessee, but last week you had to part the air to go through it that's how humid it was.

keep cool and cheers,
Ty
:drinkup:
[quote]
On 2006-07-25 14:59, Steve V wrote:
We had the same weather patterns for years, when it is 106 in December I'll blame global warming.
Steve V
[/quote]

The news said that northern California has suffered heat waves in the past and southern California has suffered heat waves in the past. But never have both northern and southern California suffered such an extensive and brutal heat wave like the one we're currently having AT THE SAME TIME. So it's not the same weather pattern we've been having for years. This is a first. Or should I say this is only the beginning...?
Reminds me of the old Tommy Cooper gag:

"It's been hot today - 100 degrees in the shade. I couldn't stand that, so I sat in the sun"

Hmmmm it loses something when it's in print :)
The old ones are ..... the old ones
Well Hoodrat, you would be wrong to assume it is global warming as was indicated. It was a short heatwave as we get every year. Reminds me of snow in Virginia. Every freakin' time I was in Norfolk it snowed, never failed, every time the chick would be on the news saying "an extremely rare event happened, it snowed in Norfolk". Right. I can also assure you it has been in the hundreds in both Northern and Southern California AT THE SAME TIME. It has also rained in both at the same time. The only think unique about the weather is it is the first time I ever saw a news talking head standing on a levy wondering if the heat would cause it to collapse and let water flood the state.
Steve V
[quote]
On 2006-07-25 12:56, airship wrote:
It's a good thing that global warming thing is just 'bad science'.

Welcome to the future, folks.
[/quote]

[url=http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1697309.htm]Pluto is experiencing global warming[/url], too. Darn Plutonian SUVs!
I could, at this point, go off on one of my scientific rants. This one about global warming, but I don't feel like it, it is just to hot, and no AC where I work. Just lets suffice it to say whether global warming is a real threat or not, this heat wave is not caused by it.
Volcanos are at fault...I say we ban them.
Steve V
'Global warming' doesn't just mean 'boy, it's sure hot'. It means several different things:
(1) The poles are getting hotter faster than the rest of the planet. This means the ice sheets are receding. As they recede, the effects of global warming accelerate.
(2) It doesn't take much - a two degree celsius shift in the Middle Ages was enough to cause decades-long famine and a decrease in the rat population, which resulted in rat fleas migrating in huge numbers to humans, which resulted in the Black Plague.
(3) Small shifts cause weather patterns to change, bringing floods to some areas and droughts to others. Farmland can turn to desert in just a few decades.
(4) Small changes in the environment can have a huge impact on animal and plant life, causing mass extinctions of fragile species. If key species become extinct - for example, krill - it can mean a domino effect through other species that rely on them.
(5) There is a 'tipping point' in there - if we don't change what we're doing, we eventually get to a 'point of no return'.
This is all science, folks. Every single credible environmental scientist agrees that global warming is a real problem. Everything you hear otherwise is just politics.*

*The head of NASA's environmental study group has said that the Clinton administration was always pressing him to make global warming sound worse that it was at the time, but the Bush administration has pushed even worse to make it sound better. He just wants to do the science without politicians pushing an agenda. (By the way, he says we have 10 years until the 'tipping point', and we'd better do something about our CO2 emissions by then.)
Yeah you anti Nuc power mo fos!
Steve V
We haven't hit 100 over the last seven years! Then again we like trees, we don't live in the dessert and we don't fart!
[quote]
On 2006-07-31 16:13, airship wrote:

This is all science, folks. Every single credible environmental scientist agrees that global warming is a real problem. Everything you hear otherwise is just politics.*

[/quote]

That's simply not true, unless you want to tautologically define "credible environmental scientist" as one who agrees that global warming is a real problem. There are quite a few credible climatologists who deny that global warming is a "real problem," and most of the "politics" has revolved around silencing their dissent, including refusal to publish or acknowledge studies and/or articles that dispute the "problem." Even the consensus finding that temperatures are the hottest they've been in 400 years suggests that FIVE hundred years ago, without SUV's, fridges, or styrofoam...it was even hotter! Of course, I'm old enough to remember the '70's, when everyone wigged out about global COOLING. The earth's climate fluctuates in very long cycles of ebb and flow. Global warming is a theory, and yes, it does have the support of most of the scientific community. Maybe it's even correct. It is NOT, however, unanimous.
The solar maximus is afoot, not to mention the eventual shift of our magnetic poles.
Paleoclimatology tells a different story, indicating that we are still in an ice age and this warming trend will only last about two millennia. CO2 levels have been as high a 7000 ppm over the planets long history. During the Ordovician periods ice age, the levels hit 4000 ppm. Today, we are at 350 ppm.
People have changed the surface heat in areas by altering the topography which can shift wind and weather patterns, but, this is nothing like changes earth has seen in it's long history.
I'm glad to be here at this moment, remember your sun screen!