(Close Window)
Topic: Fraud...?
When I woke up, I saw on ellusionist that Daniel Garcia is releasing a new effect called Fraud. Ellusionist is putting up a teaser trailer soon (or so they say) and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on to what this effect involved. (another bill switch like greed?) I am excited to see what it is.
Hopefully Daniel can fill us in on this one...AND when his website will be up :)
According to a post in the Ellusionist pre-purchase forums, the effect is that the seal on a borrowed, signed bill is visually moved from one end of the bill to the other, where it's found to be printed on.

I'm sure more details will be available shortly. Looking forward to seeing a video.

Kevin
OK I know I told this guy to start coming out with more stuff, but now I cant keep up. Good Stuff...
Hey Guys...just letting you know that the Teaser Video will be out by the end of the week. I'm really excited about this effect. About 2 1/2 years ago I came up with the concept...but the effect was in the "beta" version...after adustments, thinking about theory (ALOT) and careful research... the effect was born. I started performing it immediatly. I have a group of friends down here in Houston (The Houston Crew) who I show all my effects to when I first develop them, and they let me know what they think...we don't care about feeling getting hurt...or blowing smoke in someones asss-prin... All we care about is making magic look perfect. When I showed them this effect about 2 years ago all of them said NICE!!!!! there is only a handful of magicians performing this product at the moment...literaly only about 5... and all of them don't want me to release it...i cant really tell you much about the effect yet, only what Kevin has already said...But imagine the power of MANIPULATING ACTUAL U.S. CURRENCY...and leaving it in its altered state..then giving it back to them to keep... ive done this a lot and it never fail to get an amazing reaction... the best part about the effect.

A 5 year old could do it.

Daniel Garcia
Hurry up and release TornToo already =) Patric O'gorman won't give me his old gimmick.
The age old question....can it be done with other bills besides U.S currency? I guess we will have to wait and see.
[quote]
On 2006-07-29 16:45, chris311 wrote:
The age old question....can it be done with other bills besides U.S currency? I guess we will have to wait and see.
[/quote]
Never tried it...so I don't know.

DG
If I send you some European bills can I get the prelease (or isn't that a word) Ah well you'll understand. ;-)
[quote]
On 2006-07-30 07:48, gaafman wrote:
If I send you some European bills can I get the prelease (or isn't that a word) Ah well you'll understand. ;-)
[/quote]

sorry man...cant do that

DG
Yeah..me too. anything that he puts out is great.
Any idea when the actual release date will be?
Looking at the first or second week of september

DG
Nice.
Alright, I'm in line.
Hey daniel this sounds awesome. Will this be a instant download or is it a dvd teaching the effect?
Also, any word on the teaser video?
Daniel said:
Hey Guys...just letting you know that the Teaser Video will be out by the end of the week.

So I think by the end of the week ;) I really look forward to this!
Same here. If the spectator gets to keep the bill with the altered seal, this will be a winner for sure!
Fraud is going to be a download AND a dvd... we are looking at the teaser coming out by the end of the week and the product coming out in september.

and YESSSS!!!! the spectator can keep the bill in its altered state as a souvinier. that's THE ONLY WAY I perform it.

Daniel Garcia
This is fascinating!
I'm really looking forward to this effect. I've recently gotten back into magic and Torn and Greed are two of my favorites. Garcia seems to put in a lot of effort into both his methods and teachings.
This doesn't sound possible, nice work thinking outside the bill-
C'mon demo!...
Ok guys... I just got an email from ellusionist... the webpage for FRAUD will be up in the middle of next week so tat ou can see the teaser.

DG
I'm glad tat oui can see the teaser Daniel. I can't wait :D (Hahah sorry I had to poke a little fun)
Well, it is almost the end of the wating period for trailer for Fraud, I sure hope it gets out in the next couple of days.

-Daniel
Sound like another hit daniel!
can't take the suspense anymore ,lol.
will there be any difference between the download version and the one on the dvd?
like bonus stuff or something of the sort.
I wanna get my hands on this as soon as possible.

-Matt
AHHH I WANT THE DEMO >_<

But really...this sounds amazing!
Next week... Can't Wait!

I'm assuming the DVD comes with the gimmicked bill, or do you make it yourself?
Awww.. where is the demo video?
I know! I'm waiting and waiting, and still no demo appears! Really looking forward to it.

Kevin
Hehe ... just think about it guys .. we`re waiting here for the demo video.
What will happend when the demo comes out, everybody sees it and then we all would have to wait another month or two to actually get the DVD.
Well, I`m going to bite all my coins untill then (no gimmicks :D )

-Daniel
According to an Ellusionist email I recieved, the Fraud teaser trailer is due this Friday at 12 noon EST. I'm looking forward to seeing what this one is all about.
[quote]
On 2006-08-14 17:16, mzr9mm wrote:
we`re waiting here for the demo video.
What will happend when the demo comes out, everybody sees it and then we all would have to wait another month or two to actually get the DVD.
-Daniel
[/quote]

Then this thread will explode into 5 more pages of "I can't wait" posts ... :) ...
2 hours, 20 minutes, the countdown begins.
15 minutes! Cant wait!
Just watched it... well, I guess that's why they call it a "teaser." Kinda hard to form any sort of opinion. Sort of a "moving hole" type routine with the federal seal, I guess. The people are standing up close and are touching the bill themselves, which is good, but I wish they showed you a bit more.
I cant find it on ellusionist..can you post the url?
Same here bugjack.... I have to admit I was kinda disappointed with the trailer....But like jack said it is a teaser so I should have seen it commin lol. Daniel Garcias products are always awesome so I am sure I wont be dissapointed
I agree -- I'm a Garcia fan, so I will be looking forward to checking this out.

It's kind of useless to speculate much on this unless anyone can chime in who has actually seen it, but if the effect does what it says it does, it could be great.
Agreed, I've yet to see a bad DG product so I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure.
Would love it if someone could let us know if it'll work with other currency?
I can't see it working with Euros because I'm pretty sure none of them have any kind of seal.
Pounds? We have a nice big fat silver seal but it has writing overlapping it so I'm thinking that might be a problemo?
Absolutely no idea about other currencies though.
Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
Phil
Here's the URL:

http://www.ellusionist.com/order/Fraud-Trailer-Video.php
Why all the non essential images... like the car, the sign, the MTV type baloney?
Sorry to ask a naive question here, but will the
effect attract any legal issues as we're toying with the
seal of a legal tender?

Andy
Daniel, can't wait to see the final product. I'm just aggravated that I couldn't make it down to Houston from Dallas last week.... So far, most of the Garcia stuff I've done in real life situations has warranted the same reactions in his demos and videos. I even tried the "Bobby" stunt from "Garcia Project". I am in line for the preorder (and I hate preordering).... I'm still also interested in the "card to wallet" wallet you're working on. Any update on that???(Not too start another thread)... Thanks for wonderful contributions to the magic community....Cheers, Justin.

ps...a new tattoo on your middle finger in the demo ????
How much is the pre-order? Didn't see it on the page. Also, anyone know when "Torn Too" will be out?
Hey Danny,

Congratulations on another killer effect. I just viewed the "teaser" and that alone is good enough for me. I can't wait to see the release of FRAUD so I can commit the crime of obliterating people's sense of reality - GREAT JOB Danny!!!

I raise my glass high for you man,

David
Video looks outstanding, but I have feeling doing the trick over and over is going to cost more than the initial price of the trick. :)
The teaser says nothing about a pre-order, and I doubt there will be one. I can't recall any time that E has done a preorder on an item that they produced.

Yes, they did a couple preorders of "PH Presents" products with the Blaine Drowned Alive deal... But on all their decks, DVDs, etc, they tend to only sell them once they come into stock at the warehouse.

Kevin
Looks great but sure only for US Currency, oh well you guys have fun, we will have fun when you conquer this half of the planet, LOL!
I noticed some posts are unsure of what the effect is, and that some people couldn't really tell much from the teaser, so I whipped up a quick image of what the effect is, as near as I can tell from the teaser.

See attached image. The letter seal (Red Circle) is moved across the face of the bill to where the Blue Square is. The bill is signed on the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Mercury52/FraudBuck.jpg

Naturally, there may be other finesses and subtleties to the effect that aren't shown in the teaser, but I think this is the basic idea.

Kevin
Lol, yeah I was wondering why the person was signing the back of the bill when it seems in the demo that the only thing going on is on the front.
Hey Kevin,

It's kind of hilarious that you had to put up that diagrammed explanation. Yes, the "teaser" is really pretty sketchy.

I promised myself I wouldn't engage in useless speculation about this effect until it comes out, but I wonder if its name -- "Fraud" -- tips that the spectator is left at the end with a fraudulent bill?
Yep, that is why in the teaser it says on the sign behind him something like " County Jail " because you can go to jail or something for giving away fradulent bills.
I myself found the idea of the effect to be somewhat clear from the teaser, but since others didn't, I did the photo thing. Only took a couple minutes.

Also, when I received my order of Masters decks in the mail yesterday, there was a blurb for Fraud among the various ad sheets that they throw in there. It reads..

"[ONE] Borrowed, signed, dollar bill.
[ZERO] Props.
[ZERO] Reset.
[Maximum] Impact.

Imagine having the ability to visually, slowly, move the printing on any signed, borrowed bill. Then give it back. You have no idea what's about to hit you."

It then says that the download and DVD will be out by Oct. 1st, but I'd be inclined to go with the Sept. 20 that was shown in the teaser, as I feel the teaser is probably more up-to-date.

Then, near the very bottom right of the ad, with the E logo, it reads "No counterfeiting". Now, this is away from the description of the effect, so I don't know if they're putting that in as if to say there's no counterfeiting involved, or if they're just kind of doing it as part of the "look" of the ad.

Another phrase appears on the side of the ad, and says "For entertainment purposes only".

Either way, it should only be about another month or so before we have some answers.

Just trying to glean all I can from what's been made publicly available so far. I love my research!

Kevin
I wonder what happens if they try to spend the bill afterwards?
As far as manipulating currency goes, I think that "counterfeit spectator" is a better effect. Not only do you have the bonus of manipulating a power object, but it's got their name on it.

I think Daniel should have just released a book full of his ideas, much like the Paul Harris books, rather than every time an idea pops into his head, to sell it for 20 bucks.
Lol....5 ideas.....$100 please.....1 book with 75 routines....$34.95 please..... :) ..
Yeah, I thought of "Counterfeit Spectator" too, although this effect has to be different. One can "create" a new signature but one can't easily fake a federal seal. (My problem with "Counterfeit Spectator" is twofold: first, my handwriting sucks, so it's hard for me to make the gimmick. You almost need to be a calligrapher to create the gimmick. And two -- the logic of the effect has always eluded me because while the bill shows up with a new name, it's not that person's signature, which it should be if the effect were "really happening." It's just their name written in someone else's script.)

Okay, "Fraud" is one of those effects that's described a certain way and that's how I want to see it. The trick for me is whether or not my mental image of the effect will match its reality. What I want to see: a bill (borrowed or not, I don't care), that's signed on the back. Federal seal clearly seen it its usual place with blank space seen at the spot its moved too. Thumb placed over the seal, slid to the new place. Seal is now there and missing from the other spot. Bill handed out. It would be amazing if you could stop your thumb at different places along the way and reveal the seal there too, but I think that's too much to ask for.
Bugjack....thats EXACTLY what this effect does... it looks EXACTLY like what you just said...EXACTLY!!! ... you see the regular bill, openly cover the seal and move it then IMMEDIATLY hand their bill back to them for them to keep. YES...the seal is seen before you cover it with your thumb.

Chris SD - I have NEVER just thought of an idea and put it to market... ALL MY effects are things that I have been doing for years. I've been doing magic for 20 years and have a tremendouse respect for my art. If you go the http://www.themagicwoods.co.uk forums and read my interview in the Q and A section , you'll see how I feel about kids just creating magic to make a quick buck. I created FRAUD about 4 years ago and held it to myself... there was litteraly a hand full of people who had this effect. I performed it all the time at tradeshows, corperate parties, banquets... etc. It is an effect that had ALOT of thought put into it and a lot of performing time put into it.

if you purchase the DVD you'll understand WHY I couldn't just publish this in a book...there is a reason.

Daniel Garcia
Daniel, thanks for replying. I'm sold.

Best,

Scott
I am Having a Blast with Greed, Torn, Torn Too, The Project (PERSONAL SAFE IS MY FAVORITE), Shade. So why would I even begin to doubt this one? Let me know DG sorry I couldn't meet up with you but I'm sold already.
I'm sold as well, I'm definatley going to buy the day it comes out :dancing:
Haha...who isn't sold ;)

I love all his effects so of course this one is a must have for me!
How much are we guessing the price is going to be for this effect-- $30??
Oh yeah, Daniel -- when is "Torn Too" being released?

Have really enjoyed the other effects.
What is the basic concept of "Torn 2". . . Is it TORN with different handling?? If so, people (like me) who either recently bought TORN or have had it since it originally came on the market-- Will we get some sort of a discount for Torn 2??
Bugstar, if you click the option in the Torn DVD to watch the old Torn VHS, you'll see a brief clip of Torn Too during the intro montage.

Torn Too is a T&R corner of a card, that I believe DG uses as a followup to Torn, as a way to do something similar but different when asked "Do that again!" It's a fairly quick "flash" restoration, rather than the corner being slowly reattached like Torn.

Torn Too is supposed to be released through Penguin sometime in the near(ish) future.

Kevin
I'm shooting for Fraud to be $25 ... but the control is in the websites hands...but that's what I'm hoping

Daniel Garcia
I just saw all the post about Fraud, Daniel gave me the honor of working on this the past 2 or so months. I can honestly say this is one of the strongest tricks you can do. it is all it is hype to be. I have done this routine at least 75 times, and it kills! I have booked some shows from this one trick , doing it in local bars. you wont be disappointed.
Thanks Daniel for getting back about the cost factor, and might I say that although I am new to this forum (just stumbled on it), but have been performing magic on & off for nearly 20 years, I have been excited and reborn ever since I saw your TORN effect.

I have learned from the decade of the late 1980's from books of Lorayne, Harris and Ammar and would always get excited when the yearly Copperfield special would arrive on TV so I can tape it. Paper money and Card tricks were and have always been my forte from additional teachings of other books at the time of Mike Bornstein and buying video tapes of the three that I just mentioned above.

If you were around and publishing back then, you would have been with good company of my "teachers". . . But you know, you are right there with them!!!

Keep it going and I am glad now that I have entered the decade of the Internet and communicating with such great mentors as you and Mr. Lorayne. It is such a relatively easy and enthusiastic thing to do nowadays.

Thank you, Steve Brooks, for making the bridging of teacher and students for happening also.

P.S.: I looked at the old video section of the TORN DVD and there is nothing that spells out the words "TORN TOO". . . Is it the effect where the torn corner of a card is instantly restored on top of the deck of cards-- If not, then where is the explanation of that effect?? In 1 of Daniel's DVD's??

With kind regards
Bugstar, yup, you saw the right clip.

I think DG used to sell it as a stand alone effect in written format directly on his site. I don't know what that siutation is now, but I do know that it's coming to DVD sometime soon from Penguin.

I don't know if the previous instructions are available for sale anymore. Maybe PM Daniel and ask him.

Kevin
Sooooooo. . . It's just about the end of the month........

Does anyone have an update of the release of FRAUD :) ????
September 20th
[quote]
Imagine having the ability to visually, slowly, move the printing on any signed, borrowed bill.
[/quote]

If it is only applicable for US currency, the add should not say ANY bill.

Jeff
This sounds like a hit, I can't wait.
The link for the preview is now on the Ellusionist mainpage. No new video yet, still the same teaser.

Just shy of 3 weeks until the release though. I'm sure this'll be a big seller.

Kevin
Wait...can the bill be given away after your done moving the seal? lol I don't feel like reading this thread over.
Yes, it can be given back. See DG's post above (the second post on this page).

Kevin
Cool :D, Sorry I'm lazy. What is that music? I like it.
Oh baby! I can't wait!!
What is torn 2?
Nothing against Daniel, as I like his stuff and think he is very creative. Is it me or is that teaser just plain wrong.LOL I didn't see or understand much of what was going on. I got the idea of the effect but on the teaser he covered the seal and moved it a little bit. From what is being said here you can move it to the other side. I must be missing something.

p.s. very cool idea
I would gladly pay 5 times that amount for a trick this powerful! Moving the seal only an inch would be crazy, across the bill is too good to be true!
Can't wait to get this!
There is so much hype here for an effect that hasn't even been released... Add to that the fact that the dvd will cost $25-$30 for one single effect... and the effect may??? cost $1 per performance??? I struggle. I bought Daniel's Torn and even paid to see him lecture on the effect in person (and the lecture was JUST on that effect) I like Daniel'w work, but I feel he is a part of the new school of magicians who are making huge money on a single effect. As a cash strapped magician, I am very sad that this trend has seemed to continue. Some of you will probably jump on the "the effect is worth the money" bandwagon, but I would challenge you that other ASTOUNDING magicians have released DVDs with 5-10 awesome effects on them (Ammar, Wilson, Krenzel, Bloom, Roth, McBride, etc. etc. etc.)

There is another thread I recently read that talked about magicians copying DVDs or Videos and the ethics of this type of behavior. I certainly understand that, but when a single effect DVD costs 25-30 I can also empathize with cash strapped magicians. I also would guess that most of us genuinely love this art, but struggle to purchase many items because of the ever increasing cost. With that said, an Ammar DVD with 11 effects vs. a Garcia DVD with one effect... the decision is easy for me. I like Daniel's work and I think he is amazing. I would just love to see him give us a little more than one effect per DVD (for example - The Daniel Garcia Project DVDs)

I also wish these threads would not be so filled up with "Count me in" and "I'm ordering one" hype. This effect hasn't been released and people are all over this as if they have performed it to rave reviews... I understand Daniels reputation and as I mentioned, I have seen him lecture and really like his work (If you have a chance to see his lecture - he is a great teacher) However, I have been burned frequently by overhyped products and get frustrated by bandwagon jumpers...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Michaangelo - I can totally see where you are coming from... but you also need to see this side:

what single effect DVD's have I released?

Torn
Greed
Shade

and now Fraud.

with all do respect, magicians have been releasing single effect DVD's for YEARS, I cant tell you how many "Cups and Balls" dvd's there are.... or what about Hundy 500, or visibill. These too are also dvd's that are single effect. BUT... the reason that they ARE single trick DVD's is because YOU NEED A WHOLE DVD just to explain all the detail for that one effect. with Torn...its the whole concept, the ripping, the restorations... all need to be gone over in detail. With Shade...the sequence memory alone will fill up a DVD... with Greed, there is the construction of the gimmick, the handeling, the performance... all of these things all come together to make the effect what it is, THAT is why I have released CERTAIN effects on single trick DVD's

I understand that this is a trend that seems to be getting more and more popular... but I just want to let you know that I have CAREFULLY chosen which effects I want to release as single trick DVD's....i believe Value is everything.

Daniel Garcia
[quote]
On 2006-08-20 17:12, baskitboy5 wrote:
Haha...who isn't sold ;)

[/quote]

If it only work with $, then euro people are not sold :)

Nicolas
Everytime I see or hear of Daniel's effect I immediately want to give up mentalism and get back into close up magic. The boy has some wild ideas that work! I think he has some sort of high tech computer under that knitted chapeau of his. :rotf: Now if he would only sell that device so we can all be as creative! :rotf:

Greg

Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:44am
------------------------------------------------
Even when I try to write something about Daniel he does something to make my previous post look funky... Hmm? Maybe that's another of his effects. :rotf:

Greg
Hey Daniel,

I have to ask, how do you come up with your ideas? And "Fraud" sounds AMAZING. Its an effect that I have been looking for for a while now. It sounds too good.

The Best to you.

And for those who asked about the Music, it was produced by Ellusionist Staff. Also, I know Daniel produces music also. Maybe you should give it a listen. Great stuff...
Daniel said let there be movement of seals on bills, and there was movement of seals on bills

Daniel Garcia 3:16

------------------

Hahha :) Yeah Daniel is a great inventor, music is great :)
[quote]
On 2006-09-10 16:55, papawemba wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-08-20 17:12, baskitboy5 wrote:
Haha...who isn't sold ;)

[/quote]

If it only work with $, then euro people are not sold :)

Nicolas
[/quote]

Hi Daniel,
(First, many thanks for all the released works you put out).
If you can, at some point, check the compatibility of Fraud with the Euro currency, I guess quite a lot of people would be very happy to be informed. Including myself :bg:
Cheers,
Jonathan.
According to a post on the Ellusionist forums, a full preview will be posted at noon eastern tomorrow. So, in just over 12 hours, we should be able to get a better peek at the effect.

Only about a week left til release.

Kevin
OK well I have been moving all around the country. DG if not you then some one please pm me and let me know what is the deal with this thing, and Torn Too, still waiting to hear about that.
Heres the full trailer that was just released.

http://www.ellusionist.com/order/Fraud-Full-Trailer.php
Its not loading up hmmm
It loaded for me awhile ago. It's mostly an extended teaser. We don't really get any new footage of the effect itself.

E did state awhile ago that their previews from now on will be more "teaser-like" to try to curb people from reverse-engineering effects based on the previews.

Kevin
OK I just saw it, looks great. I have been off line for about a month and I'm sure that this is four pages of praises [b]AND[/b] complaints. Just need to know a bit of info. They can keep it, There "BILL", Impromptu as much as GREED, How much and when will it release and can it be preordered? I am at work and most of you know that I would read all of this if I could but this new base doesn't allow me to be on the net too long, so if anyone could PM me with that info that would be great.
The page still wont fully load for me! prob cause I'm jewish :(
[quote]
On 2006-09-14 15:30, Josh Zandman wrote:
[/quote]

Exactly!

Haha, I'm just kidding bro. : )

But our new preview for the effect is up and running. Expect Fraud to be released September 20th. Stay tuned to the forums for more updates.

||Sean Beard ||
//Team E
:) cant wait to get this!!
I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm excited about finally releasing FRAUD to the magic community...i have been sitting on this effect for a while now, and didn't plan on releasing it, but when I was out shooting with ellusionist, brad convinced me.

to answer a few questions:

1. I don't know if it can be done with forgien money...but I like the idea of having an american bill in another country and saying "THIS is why I like OUR(fill in your country here) currency" ... it will make it a great effect.

2.***YES*** the bill can be signed on BOTH sides, I prefer the back of the bill becuase it adds suspence, not going to get into the whole psychology right now...but just know that there was a lot of thought put into this effect.

3. and YESSS you can see the seal BEFORE you move it...i know it doesn't show it on the preview, but you can see the WHOLE ENTIRE BILL normal, before the seal is moved...

4. NO you don't lose money performing this effect...you borrow a bill, you give back a bill... NO MONEY LOST...and yes they can keep the altered bill in its changed condition.

6. Your hands are seen empty BEFORE and AFTER the effect.

I LOVE performing this effect...it was one of my most requested effects when I was performing trade shows and corperate walk around effects..everything is clean, there is no funny moves or awkward handeling...everything is NATURAL. There are a few top notch magicians who are performing this effect right now...and all of them have called me and told me how much they LOVE the effect...i'm sure you wont be disappointed.

thanks

Daniel Garcia
(MOUTH WATERING) Sounds great. Can you preorder? Im in Montana now so anxious to start doing effects again.
I had to click on the video window to activate the load control, and it played fine, and looked even better..... Daniel has another victory "sealed" .. :) ...
It looks great DG. I can't wait to mess with people's minds with this one. :)
I still can't view the trailer! haha - I saw the teaser one, but now sinced it's changed the page won't load up fully or the player. I can watch other trailers on the site, no prob.
Josh your not missing much. There is just Dan Garcia talking and great reactions. Nothing new with the trick. Great to watch.
Oh ok cool ... 5 more days! Last time I was psyched about a trick this much was for Stigmata. I think Ellusionist is releasing Wayne's Indecent this winter - anyone else hear that??
[quote]
On 2006-09-14 15:30, Josh Zandman wrote:
[/quote]

So what's up with the XMAS tree?
Well, I'm Jewish but I believe in Jesus - ok go ahead and make fun of me! haha Lots of jokes with that.
So is Ellusionist the only ones that will have this? And what is the Release Date? Can you preorder?
September 20th. And yeah I think if I remember correctly it's exclusive to only Ellusionist. No pre orders just like any other product.
Both sides can be signed? man this is as good as crazyman's with a dollar bill!
Whats Crazyman's??
IM assuiming he meant CMHandcuffs. Anyway Come on Fraud I'm anxious. LOL
Just got off the phone with ellusionist there
not even sure if it will be in by sept 20.
They wouldnt even give me a price yet.
I just think this effect sounds too good to be true! Crazyman's handcuffs is an amazing trick I perform all the time, I want it to be like that. I don't want to be misled by the appealing descriptions, I want this in my daily routines.
Hey Temple, whats the Crazyman's Handcuffs effect??
Crazyman's Handcuffs, or CMH, is when two rubberbands penetrate each other from your fingers. It's a classic of magic and very visual!
Oh ok, gotcha- thanks!
Just got an email from Ellusionist - Fraud is definitely coming out tomorrow (Wed) at 12pm pst. It says in DVD format, anyone know if there will be a download as well??
Hmm I was wondering that too. ill let you know if I find out
1200 Eastern? Oh did we get a definate Price?
I'm definitly purchasing at 1200 on the dot. The reactions on the trailer looked pretty convincing.
Posted this on another thread, but will this dvd be coming with some sort of a gimmick? Can the bill be borrowed and/or signed? I'm assuming not. Haven't read through this entire thread so sorry if it's already been covered.
They didn't list a price
Thanks Josh, I guess ill be waiting tommorrow. I just hope then they have enough in Stock.
No prob man! I really hope they sell it as a download as well

fooksau - they can signe the bill and it is their own bill - no switches etc ..
[quote]
On 2006-08-02 02:08, dg magic wrote:
Fraud is going to be a download AND a dvd... we are looking at the teaser coming out by the end of the week and the product coming out in september.

Daniel Garcia
[/quote]

Daniel answered this question at the start of this thread. Hopefully nothing has changed since then and its still a download.
Downloads mean sooner reviews from the early birds!.. :) ..
[quote]
On 2006-09-19 14:08, fooksau wrote:
Posted this on another thread, but will this dvd be coming with some sort of a gimmick? Can the bill be borrowed and/or signed? I'm assuming not. Haven't read through this entire thread so sorry if it's already been covered.
[/quote]

[quote]
On Page 4 dg magic wrote:

2.***YES*** the bill can be signed on BOTH sides, I prefer the back of the bill becuase it adds suspence, not going to get into the whole psychology right now...but just know that there was a lot of thought put into this effect.

3. and YESSS you can see the seal BEFORE you move it...i know it doesn't show it on the preview, but you can see the WHOLE ENTIRE BILL normal, before the seal is moved...

4. NO you don't lose money performing this effect...you borrow a bill, you give back a bill... NO MONEY LOST...and yes they can keep the altered bill in its changed condition.

6. Your hands are seen empty BEFORE and AFTER the effect.
[/quote]
Download - nice!!
Hey Guys...i just found out that FRAUD will be dvd ONLY...no downloads.

ALSO...the confirmed price is $24.95

which is what I was hoping...I'm excited and cant waut for you guys to start performing FRAUD!!!

DG
Ooooo well that's ok man- I'll make sure I get overnight shipping :)

congrats man!
OK so I'm in Montana, what 12:00 are we talking about here? What time is it in PST to me. Im from Jersey so I know that they are 2 hours ahead of me.
PST is 3 hours behind EST. Noon PST is 3 PM EST. So I guess release for you is 1 pm.

Kevin
Paisa23 I'm from New York, I think my airport is closer
than newark, plus my mailman snort's cocaine hope I get it soon. lol...
24 bucks? man today just got a lot better!
Well got mine in. I hope it went through, I never know how that site works. I sent them a Ticket but I have an order number. Hopefully ill get mine soon. Anyone else?
I ordered mine and I will recieve it Friday!! I will post a full review on a new thread
I ordered it as well I will leave a review asap
Same here, just ordered, can't wait to receive it!! Looking forward to seeing those reviews!
Fraud is a big one. Sales are through the roof after one hour of being released.

Paisa - what do you mean you "don't know how that site works"? After ordering you should come to a Receipt page that tells you your order was successful and went through OK...

Thanks, Brad.
http://www.ellusionist.com
Wow, this looks like an excellent effect. Is it possible to return the seal back to the original position? I am looking forward to some reviews :)
[quote]
On 2006-09-20 18:29, victor_cubed wrote:
Wow, this looks like an excellent effect. Is it possible to return the seal back to the original position? I am looking forward to some reviews :)
[/quote]

I wouldn't want to move the seal back because think about it - if you did do that it would just pass as a cool ilussion but by leaving it in its altered state and they keep the bill like that- its sick!! Plus they will show all their friends the bill and you can get a cool buzz about your magic. Just my two cents :)
If you choose to do so, the DVD shows you a way to perform FRAUD that leaves your spectator with a spendable, regular, fully legal dollar at the end of the effect. This issue is covered in full on the DVD. Have no fear. However, most of you will want to leave the spectator with their signed, permanently altered bill to take home as a souvenir.
I've been staring at a dollar bill for like half an hour and the only way I can make the seal move is by folding the bill and touching the other side haha

This is going to be great
Sweet, it IS possible to move seal back, although I also would want to leave the spectator with a altered bill. I can kind of see the skeptics arguing by saying stuff like "oh, why don't you put it back to where you got it," haha, I don't know, I already ordered one, and am definitely looking forward to reviewing it!
[quote]
On 2006-09-21 01:36, victor_cubed wrote:
Sweet, it IS possible to move seal back, although I also would want to leave the spectator with a altered bill. I can kind of see the skeptics arguing by saying stuff like "oh, why don't you put it back to where you got it," haha, I don't know, I already ordered one, and am definitely looking forward to reviewing it!
[/quote]

Look a few posts up!
^^I did, I'm just seeking different enders for this effect, of course I'm going to want to leave them with an altered bill, it'd be a totally sweet reputation maker :)
I was actually asking my previous question because I thought of a scenario where I walk up to a spectator and ask for a bill, and it's larger than 10 dollars. It would kind of suck to have them hand me a 20 dollar bill, and I make it un-usuable, lol
Hey Ellusionist people, just curious why you didn't make this a download??
I don't know, although I wish there was a download, Im kinda glad that it wasnt.
DG just curious, this wont cost me $7 to make will it? LOL
[quote]
On 2006-09-21 12:42, Josh Zandman wrote:
Hey Ellusionist people, just curious why you didn't make this a download??
[/quote]

There's always a reason if we don't produce the download version. There 'may' be other item(s) that need to be shipped WITH the DVD? Just a possibility...

:)
That is interesting indeed.....
I ordered it the second it came out. I should be getting it this week or early next week, hopefully.

It sounds really good.

This looks so good that I want to be the only one that owns it out of all my magician friends! haha

Everything DG comes out with is genious and well thought out and I am sure it will keep getting better!

-John
[quote]Sweet, it IS possible to move seal back, although I also would want to leave the spectator with a altered bill. I can kind of see the skeptics arguing by saying stuff like "oh, why don't you put it back to where you got it," haha, I don't know, I already ordered one, and am definitely looking forward to reviewing it![/quote]

Just to be clear and prevent any misunderstanding, the seal is not magically returned to it's original position-- it's there, moved, done. Completely examinable. So what do you do? Use a $1.00, or just give them one of your own bills after you alter theirs. Personally, I think the altered bill makes an awesome souvenir-- but I wouldn't want to tell that to a 350 lb. guy named Earl on the street who was kind enough to allow me to borrow his $100 bill. All of this is explained in the DVD-- no stone is left unturned.

Total runtime of the DVD is about 35 minutes.
Thanks guys!
I have to agree. It like the whole Sinful issue. People made claims that they would be upset that you put a quarter into there drink. [b]NO THEY WONT[/b](AT LEAST NOT WITH ME). They have just witnessed a true moment of astonishment, why would they care about a dollar. Of course if you feel that you should give them one of yours then that is you. I have no problem giving someone a dollar who will go out and talk about what you just did. I would gladly give him a dollar for some very cheap advertisment. S*&^, write your name and number on the bill and you might get a few calls for some gigs. I never had an issue with Sinful or Counterfeit Spectator, I doubt I will with this.
Just ordered it... along with a case of masters decks. I think I will enjoy fraud, although I question some of the effect. I pretty sure I know what I'm buying, but some of the key points make it VERY interesting! I will definitely post a review asap.

Ive already held a deck of masters... they are really nice... to bad bicycle doesn't just make them like this to begin with! The ones I get from costco are crap (compared)!
I also ordered the Ghost Deck with Fraud - anyone have this deck? Looks really nice
[quote]
On 2006-09-21 16:21, Josh Zandman wrote:
I also ordered the Ghost Deck with Fraud - anyone have this deck? Looks really nice
[/quote]

I have the ghost deck and it is great, I also am going to order "The Army of 52" with "Fraud", but I wanted to read some reviews from the members here before I do.
I have the Ghost Bundle. They are really nice decks. The only issue I find is that they tend to get or look dirty rather quickly. I did like there gaff deck, and for that reason I might order me some Red Gaff and Army of 52 DVD, My favorite gaff is the out of focus card. Also with the Ghost deck, they are a bit thicker so it puts more strain on the Porper clip that I use. But now back to Fraud. While I'm waiting on it ill Keep practicing on Greed and Sh4de.
I hope its as practical as it sounds
Hmm, mine just shiped with a special "something"..... more interesting then I thought.....
Fraud sounds too good to be true! I'm waiting for the reviews.

Rick
[quote]
On 2006-09-21 20:40, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Hmm, mine just shiped with a special "something"..... more interesting then I thought.....
[/quote]

Hey Josh, they told you that?? that's interesting
Look I doubtanyone told anyone anything. Those of you who ordered go to you E-mail Invoice and it tells you what is being shipped, that's all.
Fraud looks great! It's very Paul Harrisish - and Cyrilish too :) I may not be able to wait for the reviews so I will go to E and order it very soon...
Ordered mine!

I'm getting addicted to Ellusionist.

Do I need help? LOL!

Great stuff...now to see what the talk is all about...Garcia has quite a reputation.

Thanks for this topic! Made it easier to take the plunge, so to speak!

Doug
Hey Doug, I think I'm addicted to Elussionist too - great site and great products.
Hate to admit it, but I just made another order from them, AARRGGHHH!!!
Haha what did you get??
Army of 52, Gaff Deck (RED) and of course Tricycle Box, the only reason why I waited so long on the Tri box was because I was moving and my boxes tend to get pretty rough rather quickly, but the truth is that DG deserves our support, his inventions and effects are second to none in creativity, and come on the truth is they fry, they aren't extremely difficult and they work. What else can we ask for?
Dougini don't worry I went thru this addiction as well lol. I use to order one trick every week last summer LOL.
Anyone get threr shipping confirmation yet? there is a very interesting thing shipped with the DVD. hmmmmmmmmmmm
Yup, I saw mine - but of course there had to be something and I am very glad it is what it is
If [i]that[/i] is the only thing I need to perform Fraud...it sounds like it's going to be killer
Exactly what I thought George - Mine should be here any minute
Josh let me know how it is... I prolly won;t get mine till monday..... id love a intital impression... esecially after, that special somthing lol
I will definitely post an in-depth review on this thread under Fraud Reviews - Still waiting on fed-ex
How do you guys know when your getting it?
I ordered mine for overnight delivery through fed ex
Oh ok I see.
Yeah man, I payed an extra $32 so I wouldn't have to wait any longer haha
I was tempted but my card had just enough on it to get proirty
[quote]
On 2006-09-22 14:20, Josh Zandman wrote:
Yeah man, I payed an extra $32 so I wouldn't have to wait any longer haha
[/quote]

=O

that's rediculous! LOL... You could have brought a nother DVD! LOL!

-Vinnie
I just got Fraud and its brilliant. Once again Daniel is THE MAN. There is a lot of preperation for the trick but for an effect like this you shouldn't mind it all. He goes into a lot of detail about how to make the bill and the handling. If you bought his dvd Greed then the structure of the dvd's are the same. The details are all thought out and the camera angles show you exactly what he is doing and how he is doing it. Overall, the dvd quality is good and the effect is a miracle worker if performed correctly.
I give Fraud a 10/10
Holy **** lol...Im just now watching the VERY end and its funny as hell
I just received it today and reviewed it after my son went to school. It's a great DVD, extremely detailed and well thought out.

I must say that when I watched the DVD I was a bit skeptical about a few things in terms of doing the prep work for this trick. A gaff needs to be made. However, while my son (who's in nursery school and goes three days a week for just 2 1/2 hours a day) was at school I was not only able to review the DVD for the first time, but I was also able to create my first gaff--all within the 2 1/2 hour time frame (less actually, I stopped and had lunch as well...and watched NIP/TUCK, so that doesn't count in the time frame).

I love all of this. It is brilliant, devious and not nearly as overly complicated as it MAY first seem to some people. Garcia explains everything step-by-step and doesn't leave anything out.

A winner!

--Jon
Guys that get it today,

Please post your review of it [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=178871&forum=210&8]HERE[/url]...

-Vinnie
Thanks Vinnie for directing people with reviews there - it will be easier for everyone - My DVD came in but I haven't picked it up at my parents house - cant wait!
[quote]
On 2006-09-22 15:41, jondark445 wrote:
I just received it today and reviewed it after my son went to school. It's a great DVD, extremely detailed and well thought out.

I must say that when I watched the DVD I was a bit skeptical about a few things in terms of doing the prep work for this trick. A gaff needs to be made. However, while my son (who's in nursery school and goes three days a week for just 2 1/2 hours a day) was at school I was not only able to review the DVD for the first time, but I was also able to create my first gaff--all within the 2 1/2 hour time frame (less actually, I stopped and had lunch as well...and watched NIP/TUCK, so that doesn't count in the time frame).

I love all of this. It is brilliant, devious and not nearly as overly complicated as it MAY first seem to some people. Garcia explains everything step-by-step and doesn't leave anything out.

A winner!

--Jon
[/quote]Sorry this is way off topic but is your son going to become a nurse? Is he getting his LPN or RN or getting a CNA. I am a sophomore and am thinking about getting into nursing
[quote]Sorry this is way off topic but is your son going to become a nurse? Is he getting his LPN or RN or getting a CNA. I am a sophomore and am thinking about getting into nursing
[/quote]

I'd hate to break the news to you, but Nursery School is for like 3 year olds... It is an optional grade that is before Pre-K...

-Vinnie
Vinnie:

LOL Thanks for clearing that up for Blindside....I'd like to see a nursing program where you get your RN by going to class 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day!!!!

--Jon
Oh LOL I forgot that I read NURSERY hah sorry :) Rn is 2 years Lpn/lvn is 1 cna is 8 weeks. Anyways I'm gonna get my CNA get a job in a nursing home, I can get a job less than a mile away from my house and leach off my mom until I get enough to move into an apartment (My brother has done it before he is at Wasu trying to get his RN) But yeah I'm gonna see how well the pay is first. LPN ranges anywhere from 14-25/hour and RN's rang anywhere from 19-36 depending on where you live.

-----------------------------------------

Can't wait to see videos of Fraud :) See how it looks fully
I posted a review under "Fraud Reviews"
You happen to have a video camera? I would love to see a real video of it being done?
You don't need to see it - trust me it looks amazing. Watch the teaser on Ellusionist its that direct and simple. What Elussionist doesn't show in the trailer is how visual and amazing the trick looks when performing it. It is really that visual. You see the seal, you cover it, you move it, you hand them the bill to keep.
Josh,

it sounds like you're pleased with the effect, of course they had to embellish the wording in order to get sales.
I'm curious as to why you were glad they shipped what they did with the DVD? I should be getting mine tomorrow, it's all I've been talking about.

I'm sure you've heard of Bye George, I'm actually the person who produced that DVD, you should check it out.
I'm looking for feedback on the quality of the production and you seem like a good candidate.
WOW!!

Now that I've seen the invoice and what is included...I have an idea about how this is done...if I'm right...this is INGENIOUS!!!

How many effects has Daniel Garcia produced? And...

Are they as good as this?

Hopefully I can obtain them all at Ellusionist?

Thanks in advance!

Doug
Hey JG that's cool that you produced that DVD! I probably won't be buying that because I honestly wouldnt use it, but it does look like a great effect. If you ever need music for any productions check out my company http://www.songandfilm.com - my song was just on All My Children today! It will be on tonight at 2am on the soap channel. My song "Beautiful" opens the episode. Pretty cool!
[quote]
On 2006-09-22 21:51, Dougini wrote:
WOW!!

Now that I've seen the invoice and what is included...I have an idea about how this is done...if I'm right...this is INGENIOUS!!!

Thanks in advance!

Doug
[/quote]
what are you talking about? I have a ivoice that was sent to me from E via email and it just says Fraud dvd...Did I miss something here?
When it ships you can see everything included on that invoice - That's what Doug was talking about. Man, I am on this site too much tonight!
[quote]
On 2006-09-22 21:51, Dougini wrote:
WOW!!

Thanks in advance!

Doug
[/quote]

Dougini,

We've got about 5-6 more killer Garcia effects that are already filmed and slated for production. The next one (that is a pure Garcia effect) hits the shelves in the beginning of December and it is called...

W A R N I N G.

You have to be over 18 to even order it. It's pretty crazy.

Before that though, Danny has video coming out with Ellusionist called KAOS. It's a slow, surgical, card through window. The original effect was created by Sean Beard, then Danny, Houchin, Jonathan Bayme and myself reworked it and created KAOS out of it. The effect rocks.

All the best,

Brad.
That's good news Brad.Glad to see Danny keeping busy.

-Matt
[/quote]
Dougini,
We've got about 5-6 more killer Garcia effects that are already filmed and slated for production. Brad.
[/quote]
Maybe all on 1 dvd?....right..... :) ...
I am not sold on it yet (Way too early).... I want to hear more reviews first (Pros and Cons) as money is tight at my end... $30 (w/ shipping)-- Especially for 1 trick, no matter how great it is. DG's Project (3 Volume DVD Set) is worth it for the money for 17 tricks. I understand a lot of time went into making 1 effect that they need to make a profit, but add a 2nd or 3rd effect also. I cannot imagine that the total amount of playtime of this DVD (1 effect) is the same as any one volume of Project DVD's (5-6 tricks in each volume).

More and More Magic DVD's these days are being released with 1 effect costing $20-30.

Is FRAUD an effect that can be bought used down the road (for a slightly cheaper expense) and WITHOUT the "Extra-Something" that originally comes with the DVD??? I mean-- Can someone buy JUST the used DVD and nothing else except whatever that someone has to buy at an office-supply store to have the effect work?? I don't want to be fooled by an advertisement of a used DVD of FRAUD that states that it only is the used DVD that one is buying and you can just make the gimmick and you don't even need the "Extra-Something" that originally came with the DVD.

Thanks.
The extra thing you can buy pretty much any store - you need the DVD for part of the gimmick process.
I believe it was mentioned on the Ellusionist message boards that the [i]extra[/i] item was included because it wouldn't be available in all regions of the world. I know, however, that it is commonplace through the US

George
All I am saying is that if this 1 trick was in a DVD of 5 or 6 other effects... I wouldn't make a big thing about it.

GREED and the EGO CHANGE were both in booklets before the DVD formats and much more inexpensive and with other effects (GREED wasn't with other effects, but still less expensive). Just these 2 tricks are so powerful in effect. What made these 2 effects more expensive was the DVD format. Granted, DVD is much more easier to learn, but why can't they be put with other effects in book form as an option?? Would someone pay $30 for a book of 1 effect... I doubt many would. Even Paul Harris' Immaculate Connection was sold as a booklet form (12 pages or so) for under $10 and that is a powerful effect.

Look-- Volumes 1 & 2 of DG's PROJECT DVD had 6 effects each. Why couldn't he add FRAUD, GREED or TORN as the 6th effect in Volume 3, which only included 5 effects??

I don't mean to gripe in my above feelings... On a good note-- I do feel Daniel is absolutely innovative and I admire him and his effects. He does stand-out as the "Paul Harris" of the 2000's. But just consider how Paul Harris first sold his video tapes 10+ years ago each at $30-50, but you get 10-15 effects in each tape. Paul's books (before AOA) each included 10-20 effects... Each 1 of those effects was (still is) so powerful. Putting more tricks in a book or video/DVD advertises for the creator.

It's not just DG's "1 Trick" DVD's, but many new Magic DVD's out in the market today... (WARP ONE is another).

Where is the Magic industry going??... It has changed in just 10+ years.... And we are all buying into it.... Yes-- Even me!! How else can I get these powerful effects these days?? Everything from Gas to Magic goes up, but salaries, do not. Even asking for raises-- They laugh at you.
I think plenty of multi-effect books and DVDs are still coming out. For ages though, I've always felt, and expressed, that if I bought a DVD with 6 effects on it, but I only ever wound up actually using 1 effect out of the 6, then paying $35 (or however much) would be worth it.

I don't see how ultimately, that's much different than buying a DVD that only has 1 effect, as long as the effect is workable and usable.

I'd rather spend $50 on a one-trick DVD that contains an effect I'll actually use in my paid gigs, than $35 on a multi-trick DVD which has material that I wouldn't use.

I know this situation may be different for people who do not perform for money, but in my case, if I can use an effect (like Fraud for example) in only ONE paid gig, the effect has more than paid for itself, as $20-30 is much less than my performance rate.

I believe that DG released TORN, GREED, and now FRAUD as single-effect DVDs because it's really necessary. The handlings, preparations, etc need to be covered quite extensively. For them to be glossed over in 5-10 minutes as part of a multi-effect DVD would not do justice to these particular effects. Obviously DG doesn't have a problem with releasing multi-effect DVDs. But everything in his DGP set was an effect that could be gone over in a short time and still be covered fully.

Another example would be Greg Wilson. He's released plenty of multi-effect DVDs. But with Hundy500, he needed an entire DVD just to go over all the complexities involved, so that's what we got.

If the magic world is heading to a place where only single effects are released, but each of them is as impressive and useful in the real-world as effects like Greed and Fraud, then I'd say it's a change for the better.

Kevin

PS - Received Fraud today and really like it! Can't wait to get it together and start performing it. Check the review section for my review.
[quote]
On 2006-09-23 20:45, Salby wrote:
All I am saying is that if this 1 trick was in a DVD of 5 or 6 other effects... I wouldn't make a big thing about it.
[/quote]

This may be the definition of "fillers" as applied to several dvd's out there.... :) ...If a performer thinks he/she has an exceptional effect, it's going out as a single, expensive release...This looks like the new trend....That's why I liked Paul Harris...Multi effect videos, including marketed effects (but he even started producing "one item" dvd's).....Oh well...
How does one put a price on an effect?? I find BAD HABIT in DG's PROJECT DVD is absolutely devastating (as for most of his tricks on that DVD set). Why wasn't that a 1 trick DVD?? How does one decide that a trick is a 1 trick DVD??

What is the actual running time on the FRAUD DVD??...... C'mon, you are saying he couldn't add 1 or 2 more ("smaller") tricks on it for the same price?? I doubt the actual playtime on the FRAUD DVD equals the same, or close to it, on 1 of DG's PROJECT DVD's. I could be wrong now :)

FRAUD couldn't be put in a booklet form for a lesser price as was GREED?? I think there are ways to do things like this.

As for if you buy a DVD with 6 tricks on it and you only use 1 of them that that is worth the price of the DVD.... Playing "Devil's advocate" now-- You only increase your chances of liking at least 1 effect in a pot of 6 effects. What if you buy a DVD with 1 effect??... The chances of disliking the idea of putting $30 on the DVD are greater... You only bought a DVD with ONE effect on it.... Much more disappointing then. Granted, you can also love it with the 1 trick. Should one take the chance??
I agree with you guys...

Take Bill In Kiwi for example... The name of the DVD was none other then "Bill In Kiwi", BUT, there were also about 9 or so other bonus effects on it...

DG should really be adding a little something extra to each of his DVD's, instead of coming out with a new $30 DVD each month...

I understand the DVD needs to be divided up into sections such as performance, routine, construction, etc, but there should also be room for some bonus stuff...

-Vinnie

PS, Salby, what part of NJ you from?
You guys are right, how does one put a price on an effect?
For me, I think anything of quality should be priced around two to three hundred dollars, be only in a book, and limited to no more than 100 copys.
At least this would keep the hacks away.

For the love of the art.....
Alex Rangel
O.T.S.S
Alex,

That is what I have been wondering for YEARS!

"How do magicians/retailers price magic effects, DVD's, books, and illusions?"

Period.
-Vinnie
Look-- I am sorry for being a pessimist... FRAUD looks like a good effect and I am going to buy it by the reviews I am reading (AMEN to reviews). Since FRAUD is the newest effect out on the market that is a "1 trick for $30"... It happened to be an "easy target" because people are just talking about it.

I'll cease my ranting and raving about the subject of spending a relatively high cost for just 1 effect. I think everyone reading these posts does understand where I am coming from-- Some agree and some won't.

We should try to stick with the subject and if I happen to get annoyed about it again (which I am sure I, or someone else, will, I will start a topic for that gripe and anyone who wants to add his/her thoughts can freely do so.

Just know where some DVD effects are going. It is a computer world and DVD's are in now. There seems to be more DVD's produced than books these days.... Sad, but true :(

So on with this awesome trick of FRAUD..... And sorry Daniel for using it as a scapegoat. I still look up to you and your most creative mind :)

PS: Hey Vinnie-- I am located in Northwestern NJ (If you are a skier... I'm 20 minutes from Mountain Creek in Vernon, NJ).
Hey, I love to ski!! I'm in monmouth county near the shore
It's called CAPITALISM. Magicians are selling tricks for $30 each because people like you are buying it. If it wasn't, then I'm sure they'd include more effects with the DVDS. In my opinion, if they make more money by doing this then it's GOOD for magic. This is how magicians like DG are making a living, if they're making good money from it then it encourages them to create more effects, and release more effects (good ones I hope).

They're making more DVD's nowadays because it's a LOT less work involved, and costs less to make. It's pretty simple.
[quote]
On 2006-09-24 14:37, Vinnie Laraway wrote:
Alex,

That is what I have been wondering for YEARS!

"How do magicians/retailers price magic effects, DVD's, books, and illusions?"

Period.
-Vinnie
[/quote]

Here is the basics so you will understand. I have a couple products out and worked hard on making them a fair retail price. But this is a basic system that most of time is what is being done. If I upset anyone for sharing sorry but there are reasons for everything.

So I come up with a cool trick/gimmick I use it R and D it to make sure it works well now I want to put it on the market

The gimmick itself cost me 4 dollars to make
The material to make a killer presentation out of the package cost me 1.85
I have to buy the material in bulk keep in mind so a thousand units at 5.85 lets just use that amount.
I sell it to the wholesaler who buys 500 of them(not going to drop names) what do I sell it for? I have 5.85 in it in my cost and that does not include my labor to make everything.
My labor is 10 a hour, I have a 100 hours in just making everything so that is a another 1000 bucks. So now my cost is 6.85 I need to sell it to the wholesaler and make some money what do I sell it to him for? Well in the past not sure if it is still this way? The wholesaler would sell to the retailer for a 40 percent off retail. I want my product to retail for 19.99? Is that possible with this situation? Probably not, So my product will sell for 24.99 which is a great deal for this new cool hip trick..LOL remember I have 6.85 cents in it, so I sell it to the wholesaler for 11 bucks he sells it the retailer for say 15.00 then it retails for the 24.99. Now take a look who makes the most money on this deal? that's right the retailer, why? well this way they can stay in business and keep people happy and keep there shops open and running. You will never hear of a magician getting rich off of marketing there effects, it is very rare, magicians that market there effects are doing it to share the magic. There is knowone getting ripped off here except the people that think they are. This is the way whosale retail works in all businesses not just magic. Do you really think that going to the store to buy a new shirt that the wholesaler didn't make money, and that the manufacture didn't make money? This is not a bad thing, believe me it works well and is fair. Just because everyone is wanting something for nothing. I have been watching this thread since the moment it started, I ordered fraud and have not recieve it, who cares if it has a switch, who cares if there is prepe work, who cares if Daniel put it out on its own, when anyone in magic puts something out we should embrace the fact that they are sharing with a bunch of other magicians that did not create what ever it is they are putting out.
The reason I explained all this was to make a wake up call, business is business but that is not the important part of magic for a magician. I would pay a million dollars for a effect if it was something I am going to use(if I had a million dollars}. There is no business that is different than magic, it is the same. There is a manufacture, wholesaler, and retailer...Bottom line is all three have to make money so stop worring about it and worry about the magic!
[quote]

Daniel Garcia
[/quote]

Okay, so I've finished watching fraud etc, but I don't know how I can get the spec to sign both sides of the bill. Does anybody have this problem as well?
Got the dvd and I couldn't put the "special something" on my computer as it did not recognize the disc....I talked to Ellusionist and they will get back to me. I think that the idea behind this is very good, and I can see it being added to some of my closeup work. Very clever idea, truely awesome effect as far as teaching on the video. Some will like it, some won't, that's life. I'm glad I invested in it and would recomend it to any serious closeup magician. It does take abit to create the effect (those who have the vid know what I mean) but well worth it. For the price it is excellent, IMHO. Along with table hopping I do mentalist/metal bending and this will be a nice addition to it if I can get the disc to work in computer.
Magically,
Joseph
I, also have that problem, Joseph.

I have an old computer that does not take DVD's...

I DO have a solution that I'm going to try...hope it works!

This is the BEST effect I have bought in YEARS! This could be a reputation maker all by itself! Man, this Garcia guy...woo...I'll be watching the other stuff he has...

PURE genious!

:)

Doug
Im having other PC issues, but its the External, I cant get it to just do what its supposed too. I don't know much about software to adjust. Anyone have similar issues PM me. Oh and I hope that I'm confusing some. I find this to be an incredible effect. Those that don't feel the same just by reading what you read here, Well my gain your loss. DG Please keep doing your thing. Im right there with the add to cart button. Oh also got Tribox. I love it.
I received Fraud today and performed it already. It absolutely kills! now about the single trick DVD vs. multi....I have to give my 2 cents here, if you don't like single trick DVDs, simply don't buy it, stop whining. To me, it's not about the quantity, but the quality of the routine(s) on the DVD. For example, Reformation was sold for $100, but it's well worth every penny. I don't see people !@#$% and complain about that. We are lucky that DG is releasing his favorite effects of his. Thanks DG!
I agree that bad habit is a devestating effect. Ive been telling this to people all along and noone seems to like it. Even DG said he doesn't do it anymore. Its a very powerful impromptu effect.
I've been so intrigued by all the posts that I ordered my Fraud. I'm sure I'll have a ton of fun performing this effect to folks. What a totally devastating and surprise souivenir for the spec ! I think this effect is truly groundbreaking.

p.s. paise23 I hope your computer is running smoothly. I don't understand what you meant in your aviator..:hmm:
I needed to somehow get to Document Viewer and it worked, so hopefully that will be the same. I did it today for a friend of mine, he didn't understand what he saw for a second. Once he realized he yelled and started asking people to let him see a dollar. LOL I told him to Shhhh! I didn't want anyone to know about that. Its Illegal. I think the effect is truly great.
Paise23, it's great to see great spec reaction to Fraud. I haven't rec'd mine yet, but I'm thinking specs will rub their eyes in total disbelief and then scream and yell after the reality displacement :)
Argh. Told myself no more magic until Christmas because I'm overloaded with material, but FRAUD has gotten me too curious.
OK...problem solved!

What a great bunch of people here! Thank you for the PM's offering to help! Very noble gesture.

I have a friend who has a DVD drive in his computer. Burned the folder to CD-ROM.

In my humble opinion, this is the most ingenious effect I have seen in 36 years of Magic. It's really a surprise that Daniel Garcia released this to the retail market.

Thank you Daniel!

Doug
DG is truly an inventive mind and a genius. Thanks for sharing! :)
I don't really like the effect. 'Woah look I moved this tiny thing on the bill!!" 'Cool now make it levitate and change to a 100 in the air" hehe. Plus thi is another one trick dvd from ellusionist, the crap maker(say like you would mentos, the fresh maker)
I don't think you should worry about what company you buy it from. Unless you had trouble getting the order to your house in proper condition in tha past.

All you should look at is the effect. This effect is AWESOME.

-john
Ah,,then why did you get it? And if you didn't, why are you complaining? You must not understand how this impacts your audience. This effect is not to impress you brother, its to fry your spectator.
I really enjoy doing this effect. Once everything is set up it is a breeze to do.

-john
Thank you EVERYONE for your reviews... sounds like there's NO CHOICE but to get this little miracle :)

So what, some set up, not EVERY magical experience can be COMPLETELY IMPROMPTU right?

Although, for me in the demo clip on ellusionist, I caught a glimps of the final resting place before the thumb was all the way there. Just wondered if I was seeing things.

I believe in one of these posts someone said you could stop half way, and show, then finish all the way to the other side.... is this true? Im buying reguardless, its just that I'm off to Iraq in 7 days so Im going to have to wait about a month for it to reach me :-(....
Hey Anthony, you could stop half way through and show it, but you wont want to. It's better to do it in one fluid motion. My advice is to do this trick without telling the spec what your about to do. It kills! Stay safe in Iraq man- wish you the best out there.
Hey Brad and Alex, stay off this thread so it doesn't get deleted, thanks!
Does anyone know where to purchase the "stuff" that comes with the DVD? I have checked some stores in my area that I thought for sure would have it, but they don't. I found plenty of similar items, but not exactly the same. Just wondering if anyone else looked.
Hey Redsixer, PM'ed you.
Thank you guys for the positive reviews and comments, they are much appreciated.

Remember, if anyone experiences any problems with the dvd, feel free to contact our eSupport on the site. We'll do our best to get you ready and rolling.

Thanks!

||Sean Beard ||
I have a number of the "stuff" lying around in the house already. What I don't' have are the s*********. It'd be nice if they are also included. But hey, it's a chance for me to get out of the house and head to the store on this beautiful fall day!
I did it last night at the Bar. It was Noisy but it still went well. I borrowed the Dollar from a girl, I really didn't have a Sharpie(FORGOT IT) so I asked her for her lipstick. She Initialed the back and I did the presentation, she freaked out! I mean she was scared to touch the bill. I had to place it in her hand for her to keep it. It was great, Have to make another one tonight.

evolve629
I don't have the Exact s********* either, I couldn't find it but the one I found is working.
I have the s********, its the item that came with the DVD, the g***, that I can't find anywhere. I know there is plenty that came with it, but I would like to have some at work too.

Also on another thread, someone mentioned easter eggs on the DVD. Has anyone found any?
I havent looked. And as far as the G***** well I think any would do. Just go to a place that have similar and tell them you need this specific brand.
Did it twice last night, first was a girl at the bar, I think she couldn't comprehend what happened, maybe a little to much to drink. She just looked at me in awe but her friends around her couldn't believe what they saw. The second time was for a group of college kids at the diner. They were at a round table, I borrowed the bill and performed it. The reactions were so loud and great the the Manager came and told them to keep it down. Completely floored them. Love this effect.
Cool Will!!
Ok, after finally registering in this forum, I can ask my questions on FRAUD.
I really want to buy this trick, but there are two things holding me up:
1. For one thing, what if the money given by the spectator isn't "clean". After the exchange, when I give it back it'll look different.
2. My biggest concern, I want to do this trick with 1 dollar bills. The seal on it can be A, B, C... you know! So what, I'm like supposed to have all those types of gaffs in my pocket? The chances for a specator to have my type is 1/7 maybe? And I really want to do fraud with his money cause I'm sure it'll add more excitement.

I asked this in the ellusionist forum, but no one seems to give me a clear answer. So knowing that the trick is kinda revealed here, I thought maybe I can get an answer from here.
It's not like if I want it I should buy it and try it! I live in Lebanon, so the cheapest way to get it is with $9 shipping and waiting 2 weeks! It's not looking cheat to me.
Honestly the best I can answer is, that the DVD will tell you everything you need to know. EVERYTHING is covered... Sorry to sound so vague but I cant think of anything else without exposure.
I see. But can you tell me if I should worry about these? Do these trouble you even after seeing the DVD?
Hey Sbho, it's no problem at all - those issues will never come up because when you start the effect they have no idea what your doing until its done so they are not looking for anything.
I see. Cause what I'm thinking is that if I'm about to start, I'm gonna say: look at the seal. Now I'm gonna do something to it...so when I say look at the seal, they're gonna look and see an A let's say.
This thread has giving enough information without tipping the secret. Can you people stop trying to fish out the method already? it's getting annoying
SBHO,

Do NOT worry about those things. DG has covered every aspect, including the questions you are asking.

The effect is worth it-- Buy it.
I agree with others that this trend of releasing one trick on a DVD for thirty bucks seems wrong. IMO, it contributes to people wanting to pirate discs or re-sell them. People learn the one trick and then send em on. They'd be much less likely to do that with something of value - a book or a DVD full of good routines.

Also, the arguement that more magic "won't fit on the disc" is inaccurate.
[quote]
On 2006-10-05 00:37, bsears wrote:
I agree with others that this trend of releasing one trick on a DVD for thirty bucks seems wrong. IMO, it contributes to people wanting to pirate discs or re-sell them. People learn the one trick and then send em on. They'd be much less likely to do that with something of value - a book or a DVD full of good routines.

Also, the arguement that more magic "won't fit on the disc" is inaccurate.
[/quote]

I understand where everyone is coming from on this but as long as you buy the products then this trend will continue. The Café doesn't help. An effect is hyped so much on here that no one can handle not knowing the secret. The creators and producers of these dvds/effects are not idiots. They know exactly how to market to curious magicians who just can't help it!

Hell, I ordered mine 3 days ago!!!!! I am a working professional and I have all the material I could ever need but I am just as sick with "the magic bug" as I was 10 years ago. Is there any cure? Not Daniel Garcia!
I agree with this "1 Trick DVD" theory that it is making the retailers richer and we, as the consumers, are only putting more wood into their fire. It is easily understandable that perhaps more used DVD's are being circulated and more pirated copies also are being circulated.

Because of these 2 probable (and more likely) circulations to occur, the retailers could be selling a whole lot more-- but aren't. I feel that these other 2 circulations are putting a damper on the retailers as they could be grabbing much more money.

Because of places like the Magic Café and other review sites causing a big hype in the new effect to buy, magicians would want the effect more (no doubt). However, once they know it cost $30 for 1 effect, many, I feel, would be patient and wait a bit until they can get their hands on a used one (or pirated copy) for a cheaper price. They can (as an option) buy the DVD and then sell it used to someone for $25 and say that the effect only cost them $5.

I feel consumers would more likely buy and keep the original DVD's if they contained many effects in 1 DVD for the same price ($30) as the "1 trick DVD".

Take for instance, Paul Harris' 2 DVD set as being a real bargain. Originally, they were 5 video tapes EACH containing 10-15 effects. NOW, you can get 1 DVD containing 3 videos (37 effects in total) and another DVD containing 2 videos (23 effects in total). Each of these DVD's cost UNDER $20.

So to sum it up, for $40 (just $10 more than a "1 Trick DVD") you get a whopping "60 EFFECTS in 2 DVD's" and all from a very reputable magician as we all well know.

With that much magic in just 2 DVD's, I feel more people would keep the original DVD's and not want a pirated copy or a used copy. Money towards that DVD set is a nice investment. More people would want that set from a retailer than a "1 trick DVD".

This is my own opinion, of course :). I never took a business course in my life-- Just a little of life experiences :)
There are a lot of magicians out there who are will copy a DVD and then sell the original, and it won't matter to them if there's one or one thousand effects on the DVD. In my opinion, that's contributing to DVD producers' decisions to market one-trick DVDs...it gives them more product to sell to make up for the thievery. In large part, the community has itself to blame. If you want a lot of effects for your money (and for other reasons), consider buying a book.

Back on topic, I don't own [i]Fraud[/i] (yet), but my instinct tells me that it's a worker.
[quote]
On 2006-10-03 20:57, gamma105 wrote:
This thread has giving enough information without tipping the secret. Can you people stop trying to fish out the method already? it's getting annoying
[/quote]
Ermm, I wasn't trying to help reveal the secret, I was just worried about some things. Now it's cleared and everything is fine.
So...don't attack me for do nothing!
Yeah, back off!
I recieved the DVD and I have to say that the effect and method is wonderfull. Great job Garcia!

I just have one small concern and I could just be thinking like a magician but hear me out. I believe that when dealing with any bill s****H one must be a little concerned with the "wear" of the bills being different. For example: I perform the mismade bill all the time. If the only bill the spectator has is heavily worn I am very carefull about handing the mismade bill to a spectator for examination. I will also give myself a good amount of "space" between the bill and spectator's eyes. Sometimes if the bill is very worn I will do a different effect all together. Anyone who performs these types of effects knows that this is a valid concern. Specifically when the spec handles the "bill" before and after the effect. I guess I just wanted to hear others solutions for this concern.

In the restaurants and bars that I work customers will sometime's have a bunch of 1 dollar bills sitting on the table either for a tip or for the video lottery. It is nice because then you can pick the bill that best matches the wear of the mismade bill.

What are your thoughts guys?
I just ask for a fairly new bill or straight one becouse it makes it easier for me to perform the effect. Than when your done with the effect tell the spectator it was easier to move the seal with a smooth bill. They just look at you like your crazy or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1LbXzpmf-M I am fed up! this is crazy, the trick has been out a little over a week and this dumb kid is teaching it on youtube. Come on there has to be something we can do to stop this. I am really tired of it. Please let me know what you guys think. Should we start working hard on trying to help out and fix this problem? I think so.
That website shows Oz performing Bottled Up...
[quote]
On 2006-10-05 13:05, Hart Keene wrote:
Hell, I ordered mine 3 days ago!!!!! I am a working professional and I have all the material I could ever need but I am just as sick with "the magic bug" as I was 10 years ago. Is there any cure? Not Daniel Garcia!
[/quote]
Mr Keene... yes there is a cure but side effects are horrible. (ie hair lost, pink eye and so on)

This is a great effect and I have performed it without any problems as of yet.
[quote]
On 2006-10-08 08:12, joseph wrote:
That website shows Oz performing Bottled Up...
[/quote]

Actually if you watch to the end of Bottled up, it shows a link to the Fraud video. What is more annoying to me is at the end of that one, there is a link to a bad educated guess of Houchin's Indecent that even rips off the exact same music from Wayne's demo.

For me, I enjoy doing Fraud. I made up a few $1 bills and a $20 that I carry around with me to have. The other night I did it in a bar after a staff retreat and picked a $1 off the bar from a pile. Another time, I followed up 3D cash with it when after turning the $1s to $10s to $100's, I had a couple people pull out their $1 bills asking me to try to turn their $1s to $100s. So I got to pick which bill I wanted.

However, most times, if I need to, I will just palm the $1 bill and ask for a person's wallet and pick one from out of the wallet. I ask to borrow a wallet in my stand-up act closer for years and have yet to have anyone refuse. Makes it real easy to do a switch and he most likely would not even know what condition his bill was in.
My bad, wrong link however it is on youtube trust me. this has really upset me!
If you go to youtube and do a search for "magic" and "fraud" you will find plenty of people posting vids. Most of them are pointless.
I totally agree with sickmagic... Too many wannabe mask magicians on youtube and most of them are kids - exposing magic effects for everyone to see... It's pretty sad. I discovered two effects by D. Garcia that have already been exposed on how they’re done, torn and, of course, fraud... I wonder how D. Garcia feels about his material being exposed for free on youtube.
Ya know, Kumpletoo, I wonder that same thing. Daniel & Co work hard to create unique, workable effects, and some bottom-feeding, knuckle-dragging neanderthal decides it would be acceptable to expose them on YouTube.

I'd be out for blood. Really, though....there's not a THING one can do. It is a travesty, and a SLAP in the face to so many invaluable creators of said effects.

To think the only way to stop it is to stop producing DVD's and go back to BOOKS, just GALLS me...

Now I have a d*mn headache. Where's that Aleve??? (Gulp!)

Doug
Well let me say this I own only 4 6 dvds the rest of my collection is books I own fraud, now the garcia projects, harada hold, and cultural exchange one! I wish everyone would start putting books out again! Its the best way to learn and be creative!
Although fraud is basically revealed on youtube, there really isn't a way for someone to make the fraud gimmick without buying the actual dvd, and the something extra that comes with the dvd is a little hard to find in most stores since it isn't that common of an item.
Lol that is not true, you can figure out how to get the needed stuff and its not that hard. Daniel did it...LOL
I'm sure that anyone watching whats going on with Fraud is aware of the latest, or at least the latest as far as what I know. I just received an email from Jeff explaining to me that the DVD should be available for release sometime in November.
Ah ok, so how is everyone else liking the effect? Im loving it. Out in the field right now so I cant make any untill I get back home.
A fine effect.
I truly love this effect. I get great reactions. But you will not see me doing this on Youtube. I mean if you ever see me do an effect on there is to get help from you guys, or it will be done in front of spectators to see the reactions. I do have a problem with the versions I have seen of this on youtube. Listen brothers. The ones that I have seen are good but the truth is, the trailer for this effect on E was made that way for a specific reason. You guys although are doing the effect right are showing too much. You can rewind and play again and again on youtube. That is not good for this effect or many others that you see on there. I know you want people to see your skills, but if that is the case then put it on magicvideodepot. Or something like that, That is password protected.

There is on version that I saw on youtube that bugged me a bit. And it was the subtleties he moved the seal and went the extra mile to scratch the seal after it was moved to show that it was really there. Me as a magician wouldn't do that little extra. Because by scratching it are saying that it is there, but if you are the magician, wouldn't you be able to move it again? Just do it and give it away. Let them play with it as much as they want. Your giving away to much. Just something to think about. I love this effect and will be done as much as I can.
I will never understand why young magicians post magic vids on YouTube the day after learning a trick. Who are they trying to impress? Themselves?
Hey DG you ever going to come out with the effect with the penny or whatever in the glass then someone will say a coin and you will swivel it around that coin comes up with nothing else