(Close Window)
Topic: Vents on Letterman?
For the last couple of nights David Letterman has been promoting a 'Ventriloquism Week' for his shows on Sept 18-22. That's the week all the networks kick-off the new season of TV shows.

He says there will be a top notch vent on the show each night with Willie Tyler and Lester to appear on the 18th.

This could be a gag or stunt but it might also be a chance to see some top notch variety acts get network exposure. Hope so!
That's interesting. I didn't think Letterman liked ventriloquists.

Many years ago, he had Senor Wences on his show, but that's the only one I can remember.

Happy Labor Day!
Joe L.
I think this all ties in with Jay Johnson and Bob opening on Broadway that week in the "Two and Only"
Willie Tyler and Lester will be on the show on Monday, and Jeff Dunham is booked, I believe, for Thursday. I haven't yet heard who else is going to be on the show.

Lee Cornell
Hey Lee, good to see you here on the Café!

I know we've never corresponded directly on WorldVents, but I've been reading your stuff and looking at your fantastic photos for a good long time!

Welcome to the Café!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
Here's the official Letterman vent line-up starting Monday September 18th:

Monday night: Willie Tyler
Tuesday night: Jay Johnson
Wednesday night: Ronnnnn Lucas
Thursday night: Jeff Dunham
Friday night: Todd Oliver

Tune in and see some great vents!

Lee Cornell
I tried to catch it last night but dind't see it..nor did I hear him say anything. Is it right at the beginning?

I would have loved to see willie Tyler.

Chris Johnson
Starts next monday, the 18th.
Oh....I thought I had missed it too! Glad it's next week.

Regan
Lee,

Thanks for the heads up, great line-up of acts. Guess I'll have to figure out that timer on the VCR again :) .

Ken
I'm seeing Jay's first preview on Broadway this tuesday night...So excited. After the theater I'll catch him on Letterman!
EGADS!!! I'm glad I found out about this BEFORE the event. Any chance to see Jeff Dunham perform is well worth it. Just wonder which puppet he'll take...Walter or Peanut. Both are really crazy characters.
Hiks,
I live on another part of the world!
I can't see those great vents. :(

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Don't forget....Letterman tonight!

Regan
This is a rare (and exciting) occurance.

I am recording each evening of Letterman shows throughout the week and hope to find time to watch them over the upcoming weekend.

Any comments on last night's (Monday's) show?

Perhaps someone might be kind enough to post a brief review after each show airs.

Jonathan
I was happy to see Willie and Tyler again, I've not seen them since the 70's and actually thought Tyler was dead, or Willie, which ever is the human. The venting was well done, very entertaining show, the audience enjoyed it...thumbs up.
Steve V
The vent is Willie Tyler. The figure is Lester. Have yet to see the show, but the TiVo is set for the week!

Bob
That's right, Lester. Didn't the fellow with the old Madam puppet pass away? Willie Tyler and he were both all over the TV years ago.
Steve V
Alas, Wayland Flowers died in 1988, tragically young at 49. I saw him and Madame once at a Tannen's show in NYC. Needless to say, he was way better than all the magicians on the show.

Bob
I caught the Willie and Tyler act...man, that guy is PRO all the way! Excellent lip control, too. It's hard to imagine he's been around doing it for thirty years!
Jay Johnson uses a lot of Axtell puppets / products in his show on Broadway.

Here is the Link to the vents on Letterman...where you can see the acts again on line...
http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/dave_tv/ls_dtv_big_show_highlights.shtml

Ax
I caught Jay's Show tuesday night on Broadway...Fantastic..laughed, cried...real great theater...do not miss! There is a solo ventriloquist on Broadway folks...a real moment in Theatre History.

Magicians should flock to this show...true magic is going on.

Kudos Steve, your puppets and board are beautiful under the Broadway lights of the Helen Hayes Theatre and getting big laughs. I believe there might be more comedy time spent with some of the Axtell creations then Jay's signature vent figures...although the vent figures are saved for some heart breaking moments. So beautiful this show.

Steve...I know you have already seen the show but...under the Broadway lights? The Helen Hayes Theatre? Built in 1912? Pretty darn cool. Drop the creation stuff for a moment and book a flight!

Here is Jay's blog for the show
http://hellandhayes.blogspot.com/