(Close Window)
Topic: Funniest Cards Across..
Who are some of the best people you have seen perform cards across???I like the effect and feel there could be a lot of comedy put into it.What are some of the best bards across performance youve seen??

SIX
No offence meant, but why do you want to know? so you can check out others performing it and steal their material? maybe that's not how you meant it to sound and maybe I am just jaded a bit but I hope that's not what you meant, I think you are correct it has a lot of comedy potential but I will also say it is used quite a bit. most of the performers from the L.A. area coming up to the Bay Area to perform do a cards across, and a tossed out deck, and a book test, and etc... they almost seem like magic clones, of course they all have their own spin on the effects, (but for a magician it gets a little borring) my current favorite version of cards across is Jon Armstrongs Voo Doo I get a kick out of it.
(really no offence meant)
Rich
None taken, and that's not how I meant, I was curious as to what routines you guys like.I will look into the performers and ask them if they don't mind sharing there ideas on what makes the trick so powerfull when they perform it.I am working on my own cards across presentation.

Thanks A lot,
SIX
My favorite Cards Across routine is Simon Lovell's on his "Live" video. Hilarious!
Once again my friends I direct you to mac king's show. I quit doing cards across after I seen his act the first time...its that good.

nothing technical, just good presentation.

Best,
Mike
My personal favourite, was when David Williamson did this at Blackpool a few years ago, with a surprise ending. Well done Dave.

Best,

Sileeni....
Did Williamson publish his handling??
He had two people sat on opposite sides of stage each gaurded by ten volunteers.
He then began trying to get access to the person sat down by charging through the people who where gaurding, to try and move 3 cards from 1 spectator to another. At the end of the routine he ended up with only 7 people gaurding the spectator who was sat on the cards and 13 people around the other one. Difficult to describe, but it was a great climax. "Spectators across".

Well done Dave.

Best,

Sileeni....
Agreed, Williamson's is great. However, I think the fact that it was for magicians made it that much funnier.
I learnt Johnny Paul's version a long time ago. It's a great version.
Greetings,

There's a new dvd from L&L Publishing called "World's Greatest Magic presents Cards Across". Hope this helps!

Sal
Cards Across version of Howie Schwartzman. He beats the heck out of one of the two guys he brings up to help. Really funny routine when he does it.
I have a very old tape with Mr. Schwartzman's cards across. It is nice to watch.
Even nicer was meeting him at the 2005 S.A.M. convention in Boston.

Nicest having a routine that fits me and is adaptable to my audience at the time.

In other words what plays to a middle school audience, may have to be tweaked at a program at the penitentiary...or perhaps not.

Be safe, well and you.
My nod goes to Mac King. As stated before it is all presentation. He is a comedic genius. Of all things, he wears a raincoat. He could be doing any trick and it would be funny.
Another vote for Simaon Lovell on his vid. He turns a simple trick into at least 5 minutes of pure comedy. This wasn't situational.......it came from WITHIN.....oo deep
Mac King all the way. I saw him at the eastbourne IBM and it killed me.

Properly funny
Crisco
I second Mac King's routine. Also, check out Bill Malone's version. Quite simple, but very entertaining.
Paul Zenon does a great version with cash down two woman's tops
Is Zenon's version on video anywhere. It sounds pretty funny.
[quote]
On 2006-10-18 18:57, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Paul Zenon does a great version with cash down two woman's tops
[/quote]

I think I saw this on Comedy Central once, it was the World Comedy Tour; am I thinking of the same guy?
Nicholas, can you enlighten us about the Paul Zenon bit?
I once read that Jamy Swiss doesn't perform tricks that he thinks have been done as well as they can be done. I kind of feel that way about cards accross. I would love to do this trick but Mac King's version probably can't be topped. Mac King's show is just awesome.
Mac King is awesome !!
I saw his show and cannot stop laughing !!
His cards across is great
He wears a yellow raincoat, the technique is easy but the performance is incredible.
I also recommend Tom Mullica's version.
Doesn't anybody remember Tom Mullica's cards across? He used to do it in his lecture all the time. Very simple, very funny.

I don't know if it's on video or not.
I've done Cards Across in comedy clubs for a couple years. It's gotten good reactions, but not great. I guess I always felt that the end was a bit, anti-climactic. They could see where it is going after the first set of cards were counted. Anyhow I changed my routine recently and my reactions have been even better. I believe I'm happy with it now.
It's done the same up until the end. At the end, the first person stands and counts their cards. 7. The second person counts their cards. 12. I look dumbfounded the crowd laughs. They count again. 12. I am standing behind them, and smile. Then turn them around, and point at the card stuck on their butt and yell, 13!!
A simple addition, but gets a GREAT reaction. Methodology could be easily figured out.
My wife and I got married in Las Vegas, and our friends(?) ratted us out at Mac King's show as newly weds, so we got pulled up on stage for the cards across. I have seen him do cards across many times, but it reaches a whole new level of hilarious when you are standing inches away from him while he makes those ridiculous faces while wearing a rain slicker. His had my vote before that, but that day cemented it.
I use the version "las vegas leaper" by paul Harris. found it in 'las vegas close up' and it has also been in the art of astonishment..no sure which volume!

in the magic menu, bill Malone gives some interesting comments about this handling. after you give the 2nd spectator 7 (10) cards, they can actually count them themselves, as 10 cards, when really they only have 7. it leaves you clean as anything!

when I don't use this version (which is rare, I always do it!) I use Malones technique, simple but effective. I'm sure its not his technique, but its who I learned it off.
I have seen/read versions by
Malone, Harris, Lovell, Carney, and whoever else was on the L&L DVD and the most entertaining and one that you could put yourself into would be Lovell's routine.

It's great and you can make it your own.

Frank
I agree. Simon's is the best.
Mac King!!! Genius!