(Close Window)
Topic: Flipper or half shell
There are stuff you can do with both, but which one is better?
thanks
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 15, 2006 07:10PM)
Different, not better.

One can leave you with an ordinary coin for inspection or "accidently dropping" so they pick it up.

The other permits some VERY visual coin dissapearnces in routine.

Or better yet, use an e] and the flipper to enjoy the benefits of both in your routines.
That's a tough question to answer. You can do some real magic by using both at the same time. Troy Hooser's "Destruction" DVD has some great tricks using both at the same time. Dan Watkins "Coin Man Walking" addresses the flipper and shell as well. Maybe some other people on the forum can address the coins individually for you.
That is a hard question. I use both about the same.
I like flipper more but I think ] is more useful!
I am also trying to decide which to get....You can pay $10 or $100 for these things depending on what you are willing to spend for quality...Lots of interesting routines available... :) ..
It all depends on the routine, each can be fantastic for their purpose in their respective routines. Personally when it comes to these items I feel you should spend the extra bucks, because the cheap alternatives are "Cheap" and may not be as convincing or even operate very well. I agree with magiclee71, using them together can really produce some killer magic! With other gaffs you may be able to look at the price end, but for these I wouldn't.
Hello,
I'd invest in the shell, to start with. There are so many really great routines that can be performed with the shell. I'd invest in different denominations as well, Eisenhowers, half dollars, English Pennies, Twoonies. Really keeps the audience guessing.
Jim
Most of us have gone to get the trick coin once we are in love with the effect. Compare with the experience of seeing a great effect and finding it uses a gimick you already have, oh joy.

Once you have worn through a cheap coin you will find it worth your while to get the pricier ones. Before then the differences will be hard for you to see, if not afford. The improvement for the price reflects the design considerations of the many users who requested/suggested (hounded mercelessly) the machinist gods (praise be to thee).

It is quite fun to learn of the design thinking on an expensive coin while your learning to use it for the first time, lovely suprises. But overall, find a trick you love or a song, learn to play it with what you got, then think of new props when they come along.
Personally, I'd buy a cheap one of each cost less than $35, then you can get a feel for whether you will use them or not. If you like them you can upgrade to lassen or schoolcraft etc....

If I had to purchase them in order of potential usage I would get a shell first then the flipper.
My personal favorite is the e]. LOTS of dupolication/vanishing capabilities
I carry a ] with me in my coin purse. I have a Flipper, but haven't sat down and learned everything I can do with it just yet. The ] has some definate advantages, in that you can show the coins, remove it, and not have any coins vanish when you hand them out.
Personally both of them together could be very lethal. You could do some very powerful VISUAL magic with them. I am working on a coin routine now that utilizies them. Just think of the possibliities!