(Close Window)
Topic: Do you do this with your vent figure?
Do you do this with your vent figure? Unprepared, UNSCRIPTED just have an improvised conversation with him...you saying things, and him making wisecracks back at you... then you coming back at him, like a ping pong match...just bantering on for several minutes. (The way it would happen if he were a real person.)

I confess, I do it a lot..and it can be a real challenge...but the results (and rewards) can sometimes be priceless!

What do you think? Do you see the possible benefits?
I do this all the time and I hear new and unexpected jokes from my puppets Gonzo, Troy, Chowder and Lou. I wish I was as creative and witty as my puppets :)
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! This happens to me also. Verbal "sparring", as I like to call it has it's benefits, it appears!
I practice this way sometimes. I'm not brave enough to try it in front of a live audience.

Regan
I understand what you are saying...but think about this..if you DID do it in front of a live audience, and it went over good, you would give a unique appearance of everything being totally spontaneous and improvised...because it IS!! (Could give the act a "fresh" feel. (Of course, most folks in the audience would still assume, after all was said and done, that you had practiced the routine ahead of time, because most good acts are pre-rehearsed.
Of course, delightfully, they would be WRONG!
In my opinion this is the best way to make a script, an impromptu question and answer, sometimes I also use the ambience and the audience who is watching me as an additional joke or my puppet talk to them when I'm sleeping..

thanks!
I admit it...I do this constantly. I gave my dogs characters and they argue with each other, with my wife, with the cat, you name it.
Steve V
Hi Daffydoug, this "verbal sparring" you're talking about is really interesting in practice sessions or in front of friends--but IMHO very risky in front of paying audience. Impromtu verbal sparring, of course, may or may not get laughs. We are relying on luck (that we can think of funny jokes on the fly). Remember that the audience don't care whether our dialogues with our puppet are scripted or unscripted--they just want comedy. As long as they laugh, they don't care how we do it.

Perhaps to improve the chance that our impromptu "verbal sparring" with our puppet becomes a hit--WE SHOULD KNOW OUR PARTNER'S CHARACTER AS WELL AS WE CAN, so that we can "control" the dialgues we do. Remember that we talk for the two characters on stage.
I don't think we are relying on luck so much as our own WIT!!

Don't get me wrong. Re-read my posts. I'm not suggesting that we actually get in front of an audience and do this...unless we are feeling really brave some day..even then, perhaps we should reserve it for non paying, informal audiences, eh?

But one thing in it's favor..it would surely keep you "on your toes"!
My routines are laid out very bare bones which allows lots of room for improvisation but never totally without script.
Scripting plus improvisation, makes a great program for this vent and his nearly normal audiences.

While sharing during a workshop on comedy, Nigel put his foot literally in his mouth. The ad-lib (or foot) became a part of the program.

Having the puppet notice something such as a noise interuption, rather than ignore it can be a fun moment in lots of shows.

Apparent adlibs that are actually scripted of course need to be shared as if they were created for the first time. Examples include:
1. When an audience member sneezes
2. Prop accidently falls behind you
3. Overhead announcement in a school
4. Outside siren noise

During the comedy workshops we sometimes play the alphabet improv game.

Every sentence must start with the next letter of the alphabet. The subject and location are given to us by the audience.
Can you give us an example?
An example of when a prop falls..

Nigel slowly turns his head toward the noise.
Nigel slowly looks at me, back at the noise then at me...

Then slowly opens his mouth and says, "Do that again".

After an over head announcement in class..

Nigel quips..."Can I get fries with that!"

Hope that helps...

Can anyone share examples that were adlibs...that can be used when a situation "arrives"?

Harris
I used to do this all the time when I started out... probably not near often enough now. LOL! Actually I starte venting when I was 8 and my mom would let me leave my figures out on the couch. I'd always practice while watching tv and making comments about the shows, etc.

BTW, adlibbing can result from good preparation. Imagine things that could happen during a show... waitress dropping a tray, someone's cell phone ringing, a door slamming, a little kid having to go to the bathroom during your show, etc. and then come up with a line or lines that you could say d uring that time. Then learn them and practice them and you'll look like a genius when the time comes that you can use them. Practice your adlibs!

Gary
[quote]
On 2006-09-22 21:00, daffydoug wrote:
Do you do this with your vent figure? Unprepared, UNSCRIPTED just have an improvised conversation with him...you saying things, and him making wisecracks back at you... then you coming back at him, like a ping pong match...just bantering on for several minutes. (The way it would happen if he were a real person.)

I confess, I do it a lot..and it can be a real challenge...but the results (and rewards) can sometimes be priceless!
What do you think? Do you see the possible benefits?[/quote]

Absolutely, this is one of my favorite ways to practice, just taking a figure and bantering back and forth. Sometimes if I'm watching TV, I'll have a figure out and we make comments through the show.

Here's an exercise that Paul Stadelman suggests in his book;
"Try this for quick shifting from the natural voice to the ventriloquial voice.
With a newspaper in your hand, and the dummy on your lap, the dummy asks you to read him the
news. You tell him he should be able to read for himself, he says he can't pronounce some of the words,
so you say you will read one paragraph, and he will read the next, if he gets stuck on a difficult word,
you will help him.
Read the first paragraph in your voice, the dummy is looking at you, now he looks at the paper, and he
"reads" the next paragraph to you,
Do this reading faster and faster, without sacrificing clear enunciation, eventually you will get to the
point where you read each alternate line in a different voice."