(Close Window)
Topic: MISLED
I just found the effect while cleaning house.
Anybody have any thoughts on "why" would you
do this trick. Any story lines?
Along with Misled, just think about it; You can do an hour's show with just a borrowed dollar! Mismade bill, Sankey/Harlan no gimmick pencil through bill, Sankey's Billusion, origami, etc., etc. Cool. :cool:
Misled has been a favorite of mine since I was 14 years old. What do you mean "WHY would you do this effect?" Why do we do ANY effect. We do it because it is COOL! Stop looking for deep, hidden meaning in magic tricks. We do magic, because we CAN. We enjoy the "high" we get from our audience's reactions. :devilish:
Why [b]wouldn't[/b] you do it?

Properly presented it's a stunner.
I do like Misled, though I probably don't use it more because I don't have a good story for it.
Misled is a perfect piece for formal close up. To me the best part is, it can be held in front of your chest and brings the focus to you and your face instead of your hands.

Bringing effects from the table to in front of your body is one of the most useful things you could learn in develloping new routines as a professional, hence the 3-fly craze!

On cards, Guy Hollingworth strives towards the same.
Hi,

I really love MISLED..at the end everything can be examined...why not giving the pencil as a souvenir to your spectator at the end ?
I'm sure there's a company where you can order pencils with your artist name printed on it...

Magic Chris :bigdance:
With Misled, you have to appreciate the thinking and the beauty of the effect. I think it is perfect, and as long as you are careful. I think Every magician should have this. :nod:
[quote]Misled is a perfect piece for formal close up.
To me the best part is, it can be held in front of your chest and brings the focus to you and your face instead of your hands.
[/quote]
That is a good point about framing the trick.
Misled is awesome. I have it and whilst I haven't perfected it, I can say it's pretty good. I'm a little uncomfortable with the first phase of the trick though, thus, I've decided maybe I should start with a pen through bill, do that a couple of times and then take out the pencil and comment on how people think the pen is gimmicked (although they've checked it to their hearts content) and I offer to do it with the pencil and state that it's all going to be 'slow motion' and proceed with the second phase of Misled, which is the most beautiful penetration of a bill ever!

THEN, I hand BOTH the pen (again) and pencil for examination and then they'll be MORE than dumbfounded :shucks:

Cheers,

Logan
Personally, I think this is one of those effects that doesn't require a lot of patter. It is so visually strong and impossible that the effect stands very well on its own.

Having said that, however, I do tend to reserve the effect for those times when I can acutally borrow a pencil from the spectator. This dramatically increases the impact.

Alternatively, for trade shows, you can have special pencils made with the name and phone number of the sponsor on it, and simply give it away after the trick is done.
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Nov 28, 2004 09:46PM)
What is Mislead????
I found some pencils that match the Misled Gimmick real well.

Regan
I bought this trick many times throughout my youth and have absolutely loved it. I have lost the "thing" that makes it work but when I was in middle school this was one of the effects that helped lend credibility to the fact that I was a good magician. Others in my school tried to show me up with card tricks and such but once I performed Misled they couldn't top it. In fact on one occasion many of my classmates cornered me in the bathroom and threatened me if I DIDN'T perform it. In fact on many occasions I prefer this over the Pen thru anything.

Regards,

Gerald T
[quote]
On 2004-11-28 22:46, The Mirror Image wrote:
What is Mislead????
[/quote]

Misled was created by FISM award-winning inventor Timothy Wenk and performed exactly as described in this booklet by David Copperfield on international television!

you can see it here http://www.penguinmagic.com/browse.php?searchString=misled&x=0&y=0
[quote]
On 2004-11-29 01:02, Mister Mystery wrote:
I found some pencils that match the Misled Gimmick real well.

Regan
[/quote]

Where at?
You are at 50 posts, so check out the Secret Sessions section and look at the recent post titled "Yellow Pencils". You will get the rundown of my search for the elusive pencil and a link where you can get them.

Regan
Where the H*LL is Timothy Wenk??? This IS the gentleman who created 'Misled'. I have done several google searches...I cannot find this guy!? I had the pleasure of meeting with him on a few occasions and I am interested in getting ahold of him.

Timothy Wenk where are you??????????

Johnny Mystic
Think about it, paper is made of wood, so is a pen. As both are made of wood, that means they should be able to be "mixed" without being hurt.

Think about that as a patter line, I don't really know, but I think its a idea to work on.
I also lost my Misled twicw and still buying it again. I love this trick and like the idea of both are made from wood. As Jeff McBride said the greatest illusion created by human kind is money...such and such...I am sure you can come up with some patters
I never really thought much about what to say while performing Misled. I really like Harwin's idea of both paper and the pencil being made from wood. It makes enough sense to me to justify the trick.

Brandon
[quote]
On 2004-12-01 02:41, johnnymystic wrote:
Where the H*LL is Timothy Wenk??? This IS the gentleman who created 'Misled'. I have done several google searches...I cannot find this guy!? I had the pleasure of meeting with him on a few occasions and I am interested in getting ahold of him.

Timothy Wenk where are you??????????

Johnny Mystic
[/quote]
I was wondering this recently as well. What effects has he come up with since Misled? You never really hear his name much except in conjunction with this one effect. Has he done others?
He's made a few cool tricks, Insomnia (cool rope trick), P B & J (a peanutbutter and jelly jar transpositon effect), E pluralbus Unium 9 or how ever ya spell it, is a matrix effect ).

Those are the only ones I know of , but there may be more?

johnny
I heard that it was possible to make your own gimmick. Is that true? To me, the gimmick seems impossible to recreate with materials at home.
Unless you are a genius and you are the Ma' Guyveer of magic in a big way you will not be able to recreate this illusion at home w/simple materials.

For under 20 bucks you should just buy the original ...you won't be let down!

johnny
If you have the original and know how it works, you should also be advised that you could make your own gimmick using McDonald's straws...

T.
Hey Tanner never thought 'bout that! Gee all of a sudden I'm cravin Mickey D's...so I was a little off on this one, but wouldn't be nice to be able to make the gimmick using a pencil w/everyday house hold items?

I'm so gonna make this outta straws, I can't wait to see how it looks! ;)

johnny
Yes the gimmick has been re-released for 2018

1. Gimmick is super durable / invisible (not like the metal one we saw a while back)

2. Now includes video tutorial of Timothy sharing his tip

[youtube]ntigMCCay6U[/youtube]