(Close Window)
Topic: Voice thrower
Does anyone know where to get a voice thrower (not a squeaker)? It is a little thing that is put inside the mouth and it produces squeaking sounds when it is blown. Thanks.
Hmmm, I'm a children's magician but I go to clown sites a lot to look for silly stuff to use... maybe clownantics.com? That's my favorite... or clownsupplies.com (I think that's what it is) Hope I helped...
JS Magic
Try Harry Allen at Daytona Magic
I am looking for some as well.

I have only one left. The one I have is about the size of a bic pen cap.
It looks like it has a reed of some kind inside. I use it for a fly routine.

Does that describe what you are looking for?

Let me know if it is and you find a source.
Thanks and good luck.

Harris
Hi,
Anyone on the east coast who knows Bob Little "That wild and crazy guy" can get these from him. He often demo's them at conventions as a bee or fly buzzing around. If you know of someplace on the internet, please post the website.
Thanks,
Zoom
Fumbles,
I think you are referriing to the cylindrical "squeekers" that are hidden in the mouth. They are great at making Bee Buzzing sounds, squeeking the kid's nose, and balloon squeeking. I do think, however, the voice thrower mentioned is a flat semi-circular piece of pastic called a "bird warbler". These take a little practice to use but can make an assortment of sounds.

They were advertised many years ago as a
"voice throwing" device. I don't know about that. Steve Taylor (with the Kidabra troup) is an excellent vent and magician. Steve says there is no such thing as "throwing" your voice. It's all an illusion folks!

Anywho, you can get these Warblers too at Bob Little's shop. Bob is truly a wild and crazy guy!

I do have a question for you vents out there. It is a secret goal of mine to do a vent bit in my show. My little problem is not my lips moving but my eyebrows tend to go into spasms of their own. I've thought about wearing huge sunglasses or even a lone ranger mask, but that bobs up and down too. Help! :kermit:
I have the Swiss Warblers. They are not what I wanted. The one I wanted is something like a 3D Diamond shaped device that works similarly to the Warbler. Patrick Page uses one in his video "Funny Business for Kids".
If you are in a bind sometimes you can pull one out of a regular squeeker.
I love to play with them people get a real kick out of it. :goof:
You can also look for certain turkey calls. I sometimes use a turkey call or other bird call to make sounds in my show. I have a routine that involves patter with a turkey. Goes over well with children.
These calls work like the bird warbler mentioned above. They are kind of hard to learn how to use but once you learn it is really easy.
Message: Posted by: knockknocktheclown (Jun 3, 2003 08:44PM)
This is totally off the subject for here but I was talking to a lady at our mall and she makes those bears that you can record your voice on and it will repeat it when you speak to it. They put the "voice box" inside of stuffed dolls. She will sell the box by itself for about 5 bucks. It would fit in your pocket easily. It may be of some use to you. I am thinking about getting one to play with to see what I come up with.
Just checking to see if you found the squeaker.

The one I needed may be different. I found ones that are about 1 inch tubes with a reed inside. They are made of plastic and can make a very loud fly/buzzing sound.

As mentioned above, I got mine from Bob Little of Guaranteed Magic. They are 3 for a U.S. Dollar or as I did, 100 for $25.00 U.S. Dollars plus shipping.

He will be in Kansas City for the International Brotherhood of Magicians Convention July 1-5, 2003.

Look up Super Sunday or Bob Little Magic or
Guaranteed Magic on your favorite search engine.

Harris
Thanks for asking. I found the tube squeakers from a clown supplies store, not what I wanted though. I'm looking into Turkey calls now.

Bernard
Bernard,
What you are asking about is a swazzle or punch whistle. It's the reed device that has been used by Punch & Judy professors for more than a hundred years. Most professors (as P & J puppeteers are called) make their own, but it takes a lot of trial and error and you have to have the correct cotton bias tape, which is hard to find. There are some professors in England that make them, but they are rather expensive. Still, it's what you are looking for, so here are some links:

http://www.punchandjudyman.com/prices.htm

This is for a Punch & Judy website that has some information on swazzles:

http://www.punchandjudy.com/
Todd is right. Bobby Reynolds used to demonstrate a real one and then sell look-a-likes on the sideshows. :applause:
[quote]
On 2003-02-10 11:11, Zorak wrote:
I do have a question for you vents out there. It is a secret goal of mine to do a vent bit in my show. My little problem is not my lips moving, but my eyebrows tend to go into spasms of their own. I've thought about wearing huge sunglasses or even a lone ranger mask, but that bobs up and down too. Help! :kermit:
[/quote]

Hee-hee-hee! :lol:

Zorak - what a great visual image! You guys might also have problems with your Adams Apple moving, too. All of us also have problems with that "under-the-chin" (wattle) area moving. Another thing to watch out for is that rigid "fixed" look to your mouth and whole face.

The best thing to do IMHO is to video yourself doing some vent work - after working through a couple of good vent books. Then you can really study your technique better than just looking in the mirror. It sounds as if you are just too tense, and your concentration is so much on not moving your lips, that other parts get out of control. When you are just talking normally to your friends, do your eyebrows bob up and down? If not, then you should be able to get this under control when you can get rid of the tension.

I have found that it's very difficult for the audience to keep looking at *your* face if your figure is really animated and saying funny things, so that should help keep the heat off of you.

Maher has a very good vent course if you're interested, but it's quite pricey. Very thorough, though.

Cheers,
Kath Worsfold
:sun:
[quote]
On 2003-06-05 00:13, Todd Robbins wrote:
Bernard,
What you are asking about is a swazzle or punch whistle. It's the reed device that has been used by Punch & Judy professors for more than a hundred years. Most professors (as P & J puppeteers are called) make their own, but it takes a lot of trial and error and you have to have the correct cotton bias tape, which is hard to find. There are some professors in England that make them, but they are rather expensive. Still, it's what you are looking for, so here are some links:

http://www.punchandjudyman.com/prices.htm

This is for a Punch & Judy website that has some information on swazzles:

http://www.punchandjudy.com/

[/quote]
Thanks for the info.

Bernard
Those groan tubes that kids have contain a very small one in the middle of the thing that slides. If you take it out you can use it like you said. It makes a really good funny noise and the noise can change if you inhale or blow out or switch it around in your mouth.
I do like Nearly Normal and use one for a Trained Fly Routine.

I bought a dog toy at a dollar store and pulled the squeeker out. It is like a pen cap with a reed.

There are lots of uses for them!
Hey,
I'll repeat a post. Where can one hire a Venrt;they never advertise so are not to be found in Yellow pages.
Martyk,

Try to look at http://www.axtell.com/performers.html
there are lots of vents worldwide.
Mine is there also. ;)

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha