(Close Window)
Topic: Cruise ship, getting started
I'm interested in getting some information on cruise ships. How do you get into that area of magic? I'm not naive enough to think I can jump right into it and start working cruise ships, I have heard its hard to get into. I would just like to start getting information now and maybe in the next year or so trying to head that way. Any suggestions?
Get to know SOMEONE who works a cruse and learn all you can. Write EVERY cruseline for information. Find out who is performing and contact them. You would be surprised how much help there is. Paul Romhany is a working cruse guy, you can contact here: http://www.magicmasterclass.com, or contact Rich Bloch at richbloch.com
Good luck...(hope you have talent).
KW
Do a search for the cruise lines. Some have a spot for job apps. I put one in and got an interview. But then something came up and I couldn't do it. Although I got the job and interview!

I might also suggest once getting a hold of the Human Resources Manager to do a Magic By Mail effect (Dan Harlan I think). Works great!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=57379&forum=44&8

Just ignore the sarcasm from wmhegbli in that thread!
Get Fred Becker's course. It is a wealth of information.
Fred Becker's course is loaded! It has nearly 250 pages of information! (It's sitting right here on my lap as I speak!)

I don't do cruises but have contemplated the expansion. Becker knows his stuff.

Robert
MagicJG,
Maybe I'm stating the obvious but I think the best thing you can do is work on the act. If you are an illusionist, be original and be slick, if you are a comedy magician, get funnier.

The reason that cruise lines are tough is that there is that, like yourself, there are a lot of performers who want to work them and the cruises already have a lot of good acts on their rosters. To get selected, my suggestion is be entertaining and be original.

I couldn't help but notice that you do not list a website. Are you being bashful or are you not 'there' yet? The cruise lines really only want to work with people who have a proven 'track record' so if you are just begining to do shows, my suggestion is get out there and focus on working 'a lot' instead of focusing on pitching to a specific market.

Personally I think there is far too much emphasis in magic on landing high paying and prestigious gigs over developing a killer act first. Trust me if you work on the act first, then document what you do cleanly and clearly, the work will come.

Best of luck

peter
Boston Hysterical Society
http://www.funnymagic.com
Wow, thanks for all of your replies. To be honest, I'm "not there yet". I'm really just starting to expand out on my own( Iím 22, have done kids shows for a while and was an assistant to a bigger better magician). I just wanted to start gathering information for the next few coming years. I heard its really hard to get into and I figured its never to early to start researching. I'm going to look up all the DVDís and literature you guys gave me. Thanks.