(Close Window)
Topic: Kaos Preview?
Hi,

Genii has a full page ad for Kaos, the new Daniel Garcia Card Thru Window effect. They mention a preview on the Ellusionist website, but I can't find it. Could some kind person post a link, if such exists?

Thanks,
Ah....Open the window and look for yourself....
(sorry, just couldn't resist) LOL.
I checked on the site and even searched for it. I couldn't find it either.

Jim
So far the only "official" word on this effect has been in the Genii ad, and in a few posts from Sean (aka Tempest) over on the E boards. No preview has been released yet, and nobody's been able to say very much. From the description, it sounds incredible. Depending on how the preview looks, I may grab this as soon as it's released, or wait a week or 2 until a few reviews come in.

Kevin
This isn't by Danny Garcia? My friend Tim said he was reading the E forums and that the creator is a 19 year old cant remember his name though. This effect sounds incredible I hope the demo lives up and gives you a descent view of the effect.

John
The creator is Sean Beard, who posts here and on E as "Tempest". The KAOS DVD is Starring DG though, according to the Genii ad. Sean came up with the original effect, which was then perfected by various other folks working for/with Ellusionist.

Kevin
Any word on the release? I heard around christmas, but can not confirm this.
I thought the ad said october... mayb eim thinking one of the other products... anyone clarify
Genii ad said October, but now some of the word is that it may be pushed back to sometime in November.
Hey Kevin, can you describe the effect and how it's different from other CTW's? Sean seems like a real nice kid and I'm glad he's making his mark in magic!
I've not seen the effect myself. All the info I've been passing on in this thread is stuff that's either in the magazine ad, or that Sean has commented on over at the Ellusionist forums.

It's being marketed as an impromptu, "surgical" CTW. As in, no squirting the cards at the window to find the selection instantly on the other side, but rather a painstaking "easing" of the card through the glass. IIRC, Sean also mentioned that this can be done on a glass table or on a car window.

Hopefully he'll post a bit in here, but if you want to see everything he's said on the subject, head on over to the forums at E.
Hey guys!

Thanks Josh, I really appreciate it man. : )

Yes, I created the original version, and E improved it to what it is now. To my knowledge, I just have a bit of performing on the dvd, which was definitely not my best, BUT...did get priceless reactions.

http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53078 Here's where all the info can be found. We're pushing the release date back a little to around mid-November. But I'm really excited about this. A LOT of hard work was put into this.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but in my honest opinion, this really is the best CTW effect I have ever seen. If you could REALLY do this, if you could actually pass a card through glass, this is exatly what it would look like.

Impromptu, no gimmicks, signed card(you could burn it and even tear a corner off), perform naked in the street, any piece of glass that is accessible from both sides(no airplanes), slow, easy, and eerily visual, and the spectator can even handle the cards.

I heard new curse words filming for this dvd.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the angles are beautiful? I've done this with people watching from both sides, and the look on their face was priceless.

Keep an eye out over at E, I'm doing my best to keep everyone updated. : )

||Sean Beard ||
The effect really does sound miraculous. As soon as a price is announced, I'll be able to decide if I can get this on day 1, or if I'll wait for Christmas...
Cool stuff Sean! Talk to you tomorrow bro
There was an ad also in the Septemeber 07 M.U.M. I'd love to see this in action. Daniel keeps churning the goods out.
If this CTW is really that good, then I hope they sell it for at least $150, that way, you don't see stupid kids exposing it all over the places.
The advertising sounds 2 good to be true. I hope it is great -i LOVE ctw! Lets hope its not over $100
The effect strongly reminds me of one of those old classic effects you find in the old classic books. It's composed of such simplicity, I can see this becoming a gem for a lot of people.

||Sean ||
Ya ya ya...stop making me drool! lol when do we see a demo?

lol :D
Gonna be around November that things start happening.

||Sean ||
I am interested to get this trick .

The problem is that I would never order from Ellusionist since they ask OUTRAGEOUS
HIGH shipping costs to Canada.

I will wait to buy from a Magic Café user.
Rivardjlr,

I think Airmail is $9 to Canada...

Brad.
Tempest, on a scale from 1-10 (10 be hardest) how would you rate the handling of this effect?
the effects sounds mindblowing by the way.
To be fair, iv don;t think if ever "heard" of a effect that doesn;t sound mind blowing
Haha..true huh
That's exactly what I call high shipping costs to ship a dvd.I ship a dvd to USA for $3 us....

[quote]
On 2006-10-24 13:51, bradchristian wrote:
Rivardjlr,

I think Airmail is $9 to Canada...

Brad.
[/quote]
Actually, I just recieved some magnets which I was charged 9$ shipping on, and the whole order itself was about 3$, and on the package itself was the actual posted shipping price; $2.50
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 13:38, gdw wrote:
Actually, I just recieved some magnets which I was charged 9$ shipping on, and the whole order itself was about 3$, and on the package itself was the actual posted shipping price; $2.50
[/quote]

It's not $9 Shipping, but $9 Shipping & Handling. It requires highly skilled labor to pack up that little box and put a stamp on it - if the slightest mistake is made, Candian Customs will blow up the package as a suspected WMD, and US Homeland Security will put the sender in Guantanamo. Only specially trained and certified packers can avoid this tragic outcome, and they don't come cheap. $6.50 for the job is a steal.
Yeah, but that's a full hours wage, at minimum pay here in Canada.
LOL !!!!

[quote]
On 2006-10-26 14:21, skyh wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 13:38, gdw wrote:
[/quote]

It's not $9 Shipping, but $9 Shipping & Handling. It requires highly skilled labor to pack up that little box and put a stamp on it - if the slightest mistake is made, Candian Customs will blow up the package as a suspected WMD, and US Homeland Security will put the sender in Guantanamo. Only specially trained and certified packers can avoid this tragic outcome, and they don't come cheap. $6.50 for the job is a steal.
[/quote]
Any update on this?
I'm also waitng..grr I hate hyping months in advance! wheres the demo? Cmon already!
This sounds like it's going to be a great effect, can't wait to read the reviews.
I read on the ellusionist forum that sean said to the best of his knowledge it would be released before the 20th of this month.
The new Magic Magazine says it's supposed to be released Nov. 16th. I hope that's right!
I want to copy and paste part of my post from the Ellusionist forums:

"Quote:
What you have to understand is that Sean really does not like the normal card through window effects. Or maybe he has a respect for them but like me he believes they are really lacking. This is a totally new thing here. Or an old principle brought together to bring us a new effect. No throwing decks or anything. Basically the impossible is going to happen, you are goin to slowly and visually pull a card right through the glass. I can't wait for everyones reactions after the preview video is uploaded.

P.H."

"Yes Yes YES! Exactly.

KAOS is for those who are serious about magic. KAOS is for those of you which choose to be realistic in your approach, for those who want an impromptu Signed Card Through ANY Window effect, at YOUR disposal, at ANY time. Think about that.

This effect is not for magicians. This effect was geared towards laymen. I could care less about doing magic for magicians, when I create something, it's for my audience. My audience is the lay community. So, don't get disappointed because it's not a true, REAL miracle.

It's an illusion, and a darn powerful one.

If you appreciate a well thought out, quality thinking, and a simple, effective, and just plain unique effect, this is for you.

If you love magic and you like unique thinking, I'm willing to clean your house if you don't appreciate it.

I'm confident, and I'm truly hoping that you guys appreciate the time and effort that went into this. I've been reading every post, and doing my absolute best to answer all questions fairly and honestly. I just want to make sure you guys understand everything, so when you buy it, you will appreciate it.

It would make me overjoyed to see you guys show an appreciation of an effect like this. I know a TON of you guys, and I would strongly consider this place a family, a community that I trust. I consider all you guys my friends. I just hope everyone takes things into consideration before purchasing this. I would hate to see this exposed, or "borrowed."

It's not about making a quick buck, but rather about me trusting my community, my peers, to be respectful to a fellow brother.

Not everyone will like KAOS, I realize this. But I hope that the efforts won't go unnoticed. : )

||Sean ||"

The police are getting their riot shields right now. Prepare for war against the "Possible."

We are about to break minds my friends. : )

||Sean ||
Maybe ellusionist will send out the preview throught their newsletter. that's usually what they do with many other of their dvd's. if its coming out next week then I'm guessing they'll probably send the newsletter at the beginning of the week....i hope.
HERE IS THE PREVIEW...

http://www1.ellusionist.com/order/KAOS-by-Sean-Beard_Daniel-Garcia.php
Just saw the video but it is not visual at all !
Is there something special here ? A palm, some comedy and the trick is done :)
Maybe there is more to it... But it does not show on this preview video.

Nicolas
Yey!! the long awaited demo is here!!!
I think it looks good, I will get this
Papa I agree only your missing spitting on the card and showing your hands empty. I can't really see the crowd I do magic for holding a mess of cards up the entire time for no logical reason.
" can I put these down now?."
"no"
" but you already got a hold of the card"
" umm the card is shy while pulling it through the window"
Any word on the price of it?
$24.95. This will also be available on instant download too.

all the best

dan
This looks very good and very practical, something most CTWs are not. Hats off to you Sean, this looks great.

This will be my first official purchase from E.

And the spec is not holding the cards up to the window for no reason, they are holding up the cards so you can pull theirs through. Makes perfect sense to me.
So once you have hold of the card why should they continue to hold them up. in front of their face where they can;t see....
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Nov 14, 2006 02:53PM)
They can see, you do it at about shoulder height. The cards will still be able to be seen. Wait for the real reviews where we really learn what is going on, rather than speculation
Yeah, I didn't get the impression that the specs couldn't see you from the demo. That little girl looks like she can see Daniel.
Doesn't the price tag of $24 basicly lead you to believe their is a major flaw with this trick?

I mean, the way it is being shown in the demo, looks like it should cost a lot more if their wasn't a major drawback
I don't see your logic. This is an impromptu trick which can be done with a borrowed deck. There are no gimmicks to buy.

I think I've sussed the method (or part of the method) but I am looking forward to seeing Daniel teach the trick and the sublties that go along with it. After all, I have no idea how you get into the trick (they don't show it on the demo). And that's the trick, isn't it?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Nov 14, 2006 09:28PM)
[quote]
On 2006-11-14 19:49, Repoman23 wrote:
Doesn't the price tag of $24 basicly lead you to believe their is a major flaw with this trick?

I mean, the way it is being shown in the demo, looks like it should cost a lot more if their wasn't a major drawback

[/quote]

What!

It looks like a sensible approach to the card through window or door. If I wanted to do the trick I would buy it. Congrats to DG and company.
An impromtu card through window like this should cost $100 at least imo.

$24 is way too affordable I have my doubts.

Generally it seems like in magic the better the trick the more expensive it is, for the most part
Anything can look amazing if you only show the trick beginning with its finale. Having said that, the concept is a pretty one. Shame they cannot/will not show the trick from the beginning. I always find that telling.

Of course, this is partly the community's fault. If someone did stumble onto the method, they would just take the lovely finish without paying for it. Let's face it, if you can deceptively palm a card, add a clever Marlo ruse often done on a table's edge, and you could replicate the ending on your own. But it would be wrong to do so.

Sadly, Sean has given away the what is probably the best part of the trick, the visual ending for others to take without paying for it. An interesting Catch-22.

And there is no correlation between cost and quality. A well handled classic force can produce a miracle far more staggering than many expensive products. The visual of the ending alone is worth the asking price, if someone were to use it.
Price and quality of trick vary greatly. I don't think it's true at all that good tricks are more expensive. There is a lot out there that isn't expensive at all but fantastic.
Looks pretty darn good to me
$24 is such a cheap price.If I like a product, I like to credit the creator even though I knew the method.
So when can we buy this? It said tomorrow yesterday. Does that make sense?
It says tomorrow today ;)
Well, I think it suppose to come out on thursday, since the video has just been posted in their main page today
Congrats Sean!!
Perhaps it will say tomorrow till Thurs. Strange.
It's out now..many people downloading it. I don't think I'm gonna buy it. Thought it would be more visual. No doubt a great effect though.
[quote]
On 2006-11-14 22:54, truthteller wrote:
Sadly, Sean has given away the what is probably the best part of the trick, the visual ending for others to take without paying for it. An interesting Catch-22.

That's why books are so good, pre internet, a magician built a reputation, then released a book with loads of effects in it. by which time they would not need video demos because you already new that magician's style and the quality they were likely to sell..... I appreciate that's not always the case....and yes there are some bad books.

As for the effect in question. Looks pretty nice but I must be old before my time, because I just find Es attempts at being cool irritating. lets just see the effect without all the fades and the trademark deck being thrust towards the camera.
hopefully this will follow in the footsteps of box monster and silver dream. But then again I wouldn't need to see a demo for anything released by justin or nathan.
There seems to be a rule on Ellusionist that if the camera doesn't shake and the main subject doesn't drift around aimlessly onscreen as if the cameraman was drunk, it's not cool.

I thought that all went out in the early 90's, but apparently, it's being kept alive and well.

--Josh
Did anyone read the fineprint on the Kaos page on ellusionist.com? ha ha ha. pretty funny. look closely at the bottom of the page, you'll see what I mean.

chris
Yes, that was pretty funny. The pictures made me laugh!
It would be nice to see how the effect is "gotten into"... Im pretty sure I can fill in the blanks though... Cool effect, I'd like to purchase it to learn the precise handling (if its anything special?).

BTW, I'm LOVING Indecent! Killer impromptu effects, all of these!
I purchased the download. Very, very nice. Getting into the effect is very well thought out and there are a few nice variations. I will be using this.
Friends,

I also purchased this as a download and DVD combo, and after viewing the video I immediately was flabbergasted at how powerful a simple effect can be so deceptive for laymen.
Audience management is vital, but also your role on providing good misdirection with body language and spoken words.
This effect is impromptu much like INDECENT is, and will require you to know basic card sleights to accomplish the effect. I have yet to practice the effect on my glass door and perform it, but Im sure once I do I will be very pleased with the end result.

Sean,
Good job coming up with a killer street style magic effect that is impromptu.

My recommendations: Buy this trick, even if you know or think you know the method, just getting the tips from Daniel Garcia, along with contributions from J.Bayme and Wayne Houchin, this trick is worth the price tag.

Do yourself a favor and purchase this effect. Thanks

Alex
That's what I thought... Thanks. ill get it soon.
Just watched the video download. pretty good effect and a very strong illusion especially when you leave "half of the card in the glass and half out of the glass". Several different handlings are shown and taught and I think I may even come up with my own handling. I'll probably start working on it really soon.

Chris
Does anyone else have this yet? I was interested in it after watching the video but was waiting to hear a few more reviews. Pros? Cons?
Pros and cons?

IMO this is just another effect (a good one) that back in the day would've been in a book for the amount of money one is paying for this single effect...

just imagine if E compiled a lot of their single tricks like this into one book, imagine how much that book would cost!

johnny
The cons, as far as I'm concerned are minimal. It would be tough to pull off completely surrounded. But I can't think of anything else that would knock it down any points.

I, too, feel that there are too many impromptu effects which would be better in books and compilation vieos. However, the teaching in this download is very good and very detailed.
Hmmm... Anyone thing this is a health hazard??
Penguin's Cool Box deal has this for only $4.95!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2301
Hey, Zombie! Here we go again! Did you get it? I'm seriously thinking about it but wondering how often I'll find myself performing in front of an open car door.
Drstevemagic, I had it in my cart, but the sale ended before I could place the order. You have to act fast with these deals!
Same thing happened to me!! I guess the universe was telling us we really didn't need it.
I did get it through the Penguin sale. I guess the universe was telling me something else. I just received it and watched the video. I think it is totally worth the full price. Perhaps it will come back up on special, but it is really good, IMO. I really like that it is something that can be done totally impromptu without any gimmick. Danny Garcia does such a good job teaching various methods. Simply tremendous!