(Close Window)
Topic: Cool Music for Bizarre Performances
Want to hear some PERFECT music for Bizarre performaces? If you can find "Bydlo" by Tomita from his "Pictures at an Exhibition" album, give it a listen..I think you'll like it. I'm listening to it right now on my media player. Great stuff. OLD, but never the less, GREAT!
I like anything from the hustle and flow sound track.
Hustle and flow?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410097/

I believe this is what Scott was refering to.

I am a big fan of Midnight Syndicate. They have quite a bit of music that can be used in a bizarre setting (that is what it is meant for!).
Midnight Syndicate

Nox Arcana

Chant

Very good choices for setting the bizarre mood.
Midnight Syndicate, Nox Arcana, and Chant are all awesome.
Very cool stuff above!!
My modern suggestions are the following groups-
Fantomas
Black Tape for a Blue Girl
Rasputina

Classical-
Schuberts Trio in E flat minor (The trio played with Violin, Piano and Cello in The Hunger).
Can't get much more somber than that.

Gwyd
Two words, Jill Tracy.

http://jilltracy.com/

Tony
I am simply thrilled with Nox Arcana. That is some of the best spooky music and will be going into my new show - Thank you all who suggested them.
"Precursor" by Nine Inch Nails...
Any Type O Negative. Bloody Kisses album is really good for this.
Tony, Jill Tracy. Two words...very cool.

Also:
Hauntingly beatiful music, over 800 yrs old. Vision, the music of Hildegard Von Bingen. http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Catherine-King/dp/B000002SL6

And,
Gollum's Song (Performed By Emiliana Torrini) http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1039455245
Great Music would be Infected Mushroom. They have a completely different style. Trancy type effect mixed with all jenre's. Industrial, Gothic, You name it. Definately worth getting. Another one that I stumbled onto the other day would be "Die Form". Great Music too. Nox Arcana is great but a bit slow for my liking and does not have enough climaxes for my shows.
Type O Negative has some good stuff too. If you like the Heavier stuff.

Regards
Wolflock
These are also just great for listening too. ;)
Just to be a goof - it all depends on the type of bizarre magic you will do - some effects should have no magic.... I usually use music as a prelude to the act, transition help between effects, and an ending bit. I actually use a heck of a lot of soundtracks - often the unsung heroes of music are film composers - e.g. Bernard Herrmann (e.g. Vertigo, Day the Earth Stood Still (Gort!), etc), Jerry Goldsmith (Alien, Planet of the Apes, the Omen... so much gold!), Ennio Morricone (besides the westerns, he has done tons of other genres (the only good thing about Exorcist II was his music which was wonderfully creepy - he also has the Dario Argento series...)... then let us not miss the Goblins (Suspiria!)...heck, my entire music collection is 95% soundtracks.

As for specific type of effects - quantum magic - the theme music to Pi...
Time travel evil machines - Terminator... creepy spirit stuff - Tubular Bells from Exorcist I... etc etc....

Let us not miss TV themes as well - in fact, I have been constructing my Twilight Zone Night Gallery act - dodedoodoo dodedoodoo

The reason I personally don't use music during an effect is that I can't seem to shake the feeling I'm making it feel too theatrical - I mean all magic is theatrical - but you don't want to blend into the background.. I always think of stage illusions vs. bizarre magic with music (yeah there is overlap)...

In films, music is used to help evoke emotions. For simulation purposes, it is something I am toying around it for that - but for magic... its really really tricky.

Also, music is very personal... music to the early Godzilla films I love - not sure how a general audience might like it (although I am hoping someday to have a Godzilla effect to do... :))

(As for non film / TV composers - I still like individual groups - but I stumble across them via soundtracks e.g. the soundtrack to LOST HIGHWAY - Ramstein, NIN, Baldemati (Lynch's #1 guy), etc....)
You might want to investigate DEAD CAN DANCE especially their older stuff. One of my favorites.
Specifically the album "AION" by DEAD CAN DANCE. You might also want to check out Carmina Burana.
La dance macabre by camille saint saens is a really catchy song too (played in a ghosthouse in themepark Efteling, Holland).
Ok - for classical too then: Night on Bald Mountain, the Sorcerer's Apprentice, the Mephisto Waltz, Holst's planets Mars and Uranus,... etc (yeah, I did say soundtracks were 95% - these are some of the 5%)
My music is used widely in my Escapes to create suspense and tension in the spectators. It works WELL.

Rammestein is Good too.

Most of my music is instrumental. That is why I go more for the ones that I listed here. They are more beaty and instrumental.
Jill Tracy,
I'm on the wrong side of the continent.
Walt Anthony introduced me to her (Jill Tracy). I've been hooked since.
Her latest is different, she (and her band) orchestrated the music score for Nosferatu. Fantastic score!

Tony
Nosferatu? As in the remake of the film? The eerie music at the beginning with all the dead mummified bodies was excellent???... or something else....
I like Jill Tracy too. Found her on CDbaby.com (a wonderful site, by the way).

Best,
Neil

P.S. I use music of my own devising most of the time; when I don't, it's usually the Kronos Quartet.
Nosferatu, as in the original (albeit restored) film. She did this as part of the Nosferatu Project in San Francisco. The blurb for the CD is below.

Jill Tracy & The Malcontent Orchestra
Into the Land of Phantoms

The long-awaited instrumental CD featuring selections from Jill Tracy and The Malcontent Orchestraís acclaimed score to F.W. Murnauís 1922 vampire classic Nosferatu. Recorded live in San Francisco.
...yum...a new soundtrack for me.. thanks Tony!
Oh yeah, Samhain, Glen Danzig's band after the Misfits has some pretty spooky stuff too. I think they have 5 albums. The November Coming Fire album has a great exciting and scary instrumental Diablos 66. Rock On!
Phil Glass and the kronos quartet did a soundtrack for the original dracula movie (75 years after the fact or so...)

also, the "Music in the Key of X" from the X-files is a good one.

"The Shining" soundtrack...

I dunno
- "Floating Into the Night", an album by Julee Cruise. She was the lounge singer featured in Lynch's Twin Peaks. Very surreal disc.

- "Cold Comfort" and "Last Sigh of Nostalgia" songs by Carpathian Forest. Jazz pianos, ambient atmospheres and saxaphones meet black metal.

- "Where The Long Shadows Fall" and "The Starres are Marching Sadly Home" by Current 93.
- "Floating Into the Night", an album by Julee Cruise. She was the lounge singer featured in Lynch's Twin Peaks. Very surreal disc.

- "Cold Comfort" and "Last Sigh of Nostalgia" songs by Carpathian Forest. Jazz pianos, ambient atmospheres and saxaphones meet black metal.

- "Where The Long Shadows Fall" and "The Starres are Marching Sadly Home" by Current 93.
Isso would like to add sun ra doo wop anne briggs and idonesian monkey chant with perhaps a little patsy cline.

L.

H D X F Halloween!
And first, you might really pull them in with the cliche'd but effective Carmina Burana by Orff beginning. Overused in cinema...yes. Perfect for live beeczar, yes.

Corona
Anthing and everything by Dr. Steel http://www.doctorsteel.com
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 09:31, TAJ wrote:
You might want to investigate DEAD CAN DANCE especially their older stuff. One of my favorites.
[/quote]

AMEN! add Cocteaux Twins to that too, and SOME of lorena Mckennit's
Danny Elfman, especially "Music for a Darkened Theater" Vols. 1 & 2 and the score to "Red Dragon".

Tom Waits has a few songs that lean toward the eerie side like "What's He Building In There" and "Little Drop of Poison"

Rob Zombie has the odd instrumental on his Cd's. On "Hellbilly Deluxe" there is a spoken word piece that is just plain disturbing titled "Call of the Zombie" and a great instrumental "Perversion 99"

Not very creepy, but a piece that I have incorporated from time to time is "Poppy's Voodoo" by Soul Dogs.

Or if you want something really different do a Google or i-tunes search for psycho-billy, gothabilly, and horror surf. Very interesting sub-genres. The Ghastly Ones, The HorrorPops, and The Nekromantixs are among my favorites. My style is actually very tongue in cheek. My character is a nod to the old, bad 50's and 60's sci-fi movies and late night creature feature hosts. This music is perfect for him.
Not to put a damper on all of this, but once you get out into the real world with your performances, and you are put into a public place where admission is charged, remember, there must be royalties paid on any of this music. This is even true of classical music, because the recordings and arrangements are copyrighted.

This is why Jay Scott Berry composed his own music.

You might check with Arthur Stead to see what kind of spooky stuff he has. He sells royalty free music.
Good point Bill, but. . . many venues already pay ASCAP and BMI royalties, so in many places you may be covered already. It is still our responsibility, though, to find out and make sure this base is covered.

Mark
Infected Mushroom. brilliant istrumental Stuff. One of my Favourites by them is Apogriffa (sp)

Regards
Wolflock
Notwithstanding Bill Palmer's excellent advice above, if you're non-profit or working for fun, I think the "soundtrack" to the videogame "Quake" (1996) is top-notch; it was all composed by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.
Here's a snippet (not an entire track of course) to whet the apetite:
http://www.phrets.com/quakesmpltrak.mp3
Try Portis Head "Dummy"

Freaky, quirky, Urban "Jazz-hop"...sometimes dark...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dummy-Portishead/dp/B00004WL7O/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_b/203-5540753-1449560

...and the Cocteau Twins "Treasure"
Etherial and dream-like...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Cocteau-Twins/dp/B00006L5PQ/sr=1-5/qid=1163251277/ref=sr_1_5/203-5540753-1449560?ie=UTF8&s=music
Try this on for bizarre....

http://www.spectralvoices.com/review.htm

...bottom of page.

This is the magic of the Human voice.
Great Soundtracks I sometimes use:

The Sixth Sense

Name of the rose

Suspiria & Inferno (Dario Argento, very scary music... the one theme from suspiria really gives me the creeps!)

The Fog (the original carpender film)

Enjoy!
Having lurked around here for quite some time, I remember a thread similar to this from which I pulled a grip of really intense sound. Ever since then I've been keeping track of music that elicits a certain feel.

Metamorfosi{La Classe Operaia Va in Paradiso} off of [url=http://www.emusic.com/album/10876/10876046.html]The Big Gundown: John Zorn Plays the Music of Ennio Morricone[/url] though the sample does the piece no justice, it really is worth finding in its entirety

A Secret Life by David Byrne and Brian Eno from [url=http://bushofghosts.wmg.com/listen.php]My Life in the Bush of Ghosts[/url]

a tune called "Sono L'Antichristo" by Diamanda Galas, couldn't find a link for it...

oh and "Summoning of the Muse" by Dead Can Dance

just to name a few
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Dec 1, 2006 12:41AM)
Folks, This is a great discussion,
but please keep in mind with contemporary artists (Jill Tracy included)
that this music is protected and under copyright
and we just canít buy a CD pop it in and use it for magic performances.

There are royalty free selections and options, some great ones,
and there are ways and means of licensing current favorites,
but letís honor the artists whoís music we love,
by not diluting their rights.

Off my soap-box.
Thanks!
Walt
For something truly disturbing, try Psychic TV's "Mouth of the Night".
Also keep in mind you don't want anything too busy, and lyrics generally are a bad thing; it's too distracting. The human voice automatically draws attention.

You want the focus on you, not the music. Something instrumental and repetitive is best.

Oh, and something that won't get the [url=http://www.riaa.com/issues/piracy/default.asp]RIAA[/url] on your back too !! lol
Midnight Syndicate..........
Walt:

I brought up Jill because I like her music and think she is the coolest person born after 1955. I've only used her music one in performance, and that was with permission from Jill.

For performance music, I generally use royalty free, or my own. It all depends on how much I want to scare people. :)

Tony
Wait so... bending the laws of nature is cool, but jammin out while summoning the spirit of light from within my great grandfather's old writing lamp is subject to all that's been reserved?
'O ignis spiritus' and 'Werd Als Ein Kind' by Estampie could be great for bizzare performances. Estampie make authentic music of Middle Ages. I'm loving it ;).
Track down some stuff from the Italian band Goblin. They scored a few Dario Argento movies. Some of it is dated but real cool.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Dec 3, 2006 01:38PM)
Tony!

Lauds and congrats on taking the time and effort to get permission from the performer and copyright holder (Jill Tracy in this case) most are pleased to work with another artist if they are individuals and not corporations, and it showed a lot of class and caring to contact her about your with to perform with her music!

Magically,
Walt
I agree with Walt and Bill here. Let's not overlook the copyright issue. I know of somebody who almost got sued big time by the GEMA in Germany for not getting permission and paying Royalties and even for a non-admission performance. One of the agents was there by coincidence and flashed his badge...Those guys don't fool around and can be considered the music industries police. I am not kidding. Copperfield pays tons of money to them for the use of music like Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel etc. He knows how important music is because it sets the right mood.

This is how it works: You have to get permission from the artist first and then you go to the GEMA or whoever is in charge of the performance or exhibition rights in your country and pay, in most cases, a hefty fee. I know because I would love to use some good music in my act...but, better be safe then sorry.

There is some good music of classic artist available including the exhibition rights. They are sometimes even played by a real orchestra like the Czech Symphony and it's a good quality. A CD runs about $500.00
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 13, 2007 05:54PM)
Amen.
This is a great post. I've always wanted to listen to more of this kind of music in my personal life. Jill tracy is an artist that I'm definetly going to start listening to. She has a haunting Jazz esque sound. You might want to try Hector Zazou, his albums have a religious, primitive, and tribal sound.
Another great one is Poeme Electronique by Edgard Varese. If you can keep it at a low level, it is really spooky.

Here are a few things to bear in mind about music.

1) each licensing entity (GEMA, RIAA, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, PEER international) has its own bailiwick. The RIAA specifically handles electronically obtained music, such as the stuff you download through Napster.

ASCAP handles live and broadcast performance. BMI handles broadcast performance and maybe some live performance. Harry Fox handles recording.

Although all of Estampie's music is in the public domain, their recordings aren't. Since they are the performing artists, chances are they have their arrangements copyrighted. So you would still need to license them.

Often, the fees are not atrocious. It depends on what you plan to do with the music.

Whether you are performing for profit is not the issue, by the way. It's where you are performing that counts. If you are performing at a private party in someone's home, a church or a school, no problem. If you are performing in a night club, even if you are not being paid ... if they don't pay the fee, problem. If they do pay the fee...no problem.

You actually have to worry more about your fellow performers than the licensing companies. I know of a case in Kentucky where a group came in and replaced the people who had been performing there. They went to ASCAP and BMI and reported the new group. The owner of the venue would have had to pay about $50 per month to have live music. He chose to have no music. So the gig was gone for both of them.
Hello,
This is the first time I send out a question. I want to hear from anybody who know anything about the old "Midnite-Spooky-Show" from the 30,40,50 and 60.th decades, specially in USA. I have Mark Walkers fantastic book "Ghostmasters" and Robert Nelsons "The Ghost book of Dark Secret". I have heard it is probably possible to get a film, music, sound effects or whatever from, or around that type of show.
Can anybody help me? Thank you.
Like:

+ Argon Evolution (Scott Morgan) "Damascus"
A bizarre mix of experimental noises and acoustic instruments.

+ James Samuel Crain "Music of Sam Crain"
Electronic and chamber works using some unusual instrumentations, it turns intense, lyrical and bizarre.
Dexterity, check out Monsters Crash the Pajama Party Spook Show Spectacular DVD from Something Weird Video.
And listen to the commentaries!

There is a weath of information there.
The music that plays in the background in computer games are good. Quake, Max Payne, Doom.

Quake and Doom (especially Quake 3 and 4 and Doom 3) have a bizzarish theme. So the music brings out the bizarre. Max Payne has a few tracks that might be good for you. You could even use the sounds from them: the cries, moans, machinery, weapons, etc.
My vote goes to any type 0 negative cd's. Some really interesting stuff.
Might give a listen to the sound track from the re-make of 'Cat People'. The one with the david Bowie song on it. I think it was Georgio Moroder. Interesting rolling rythms and cues.
I love that soundtrack...
Just resaw the movie last year...It wasn't as good as remembered it, even with Malcolm MacDowell.
We used some of the music from it in a production of Midsummer Nights Dream in college. Very unusual stuff...
Gwyd
Modestly may I suggest Seance Suite.

http://www.jewelpro.com/boo/stuff.html

TEB3
You could try Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol 2, some very haunting and disturbing tracks on there.
Yeah Gwyd...didn't care for the movie all that much either. I also used the music for a mystical piece I produced and narrated for a marial arts tournament at Caesars in Tahoe. Just something about it. Thre are a couple of parts of Blade Runner's track that hit me the same way.
I am so pleased with this discussion, ten years ago magicians never would have discussed copyrights or cared that they were using someones work without permission. Is it really posible we are finally evolving. Great God there is hope.